REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Victoria Police want you to send them photos of distracted drivers (https://www.revscene.net/forums/687964-victoria-police-want-you-send-them-photos-distracted-drivers.html)

Harvey Specter 09-05-2013 02:27 PM

Victoria Police want you to send them photos of distracted drivers

I wonder how effective this would be to deter distracted drivers.

Quote:

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) – Do you ever get angry when you’re driving next to someone who is texting and driving?

Police are encouraging you to take a picture of that person in the act.

Victoria Police Chief Jamie Graham has made it clear this should only be done by someone in the passenger seat. He suggests passengers snap a photo of the distracted driver and their licence plate, if possible.

“If the case is serious and/or egregious, you should contact the police and insist that you’re prepared to go to court. if you’re prepared to do that, we’re prepared to [recommend charges against] the registered owner and take them to court.”

“And then they’ll have to explain to a judge why whoever was loaned the car — or they, personally — engaged in this kind of behaviour,” he adds.

Graham even wants you to go out of your way to take a photo of a distracted driver. He suggests you drive slowly down one lane while the other lane is stopped.

“Knowing that your fellow citizens are prepared to go to court and testify against [you], we think that’s important.”

Police also want tougher legislation for distracted driving, including stiffer fines.

Privacy group questions effectiveness

A local privacy group has a lot of questions about the police’s idea to get people to snap photos of distracted drivers.

Micheal Vonn with the BC Civil Liberties Association wants to know if it’s even an effective way to catch drivers. She also wonders why officers don’t do a test run before asking you to help out.

“Whether you might not be, in fact, creating more distraction in terms of these sorts of actions on the road. I think that’s a fair question.”

Vonn is also hoping police explain where the idea came from. “It would be interesting to know whether this was something that was dreamed up or are these campaigns that have been initiated elsewhere that we [police] actually have some understanding about. Whether they work, whether they operate, are they effective?”

Police are clarifying it would only be your passenger being allowed to take a photo of someone texting or talking on their cell behind the wheel, that image would then be used to help recommend and possibly lay charges.

xilley 09-05-2013 02:30 PM

Oh, okay so I should take my phone out to snap a pic of them while I drive too. SMART! WILL DEFINITELY DO!

snails 09-05-2013 02:32 PM

because people care enough to go to court so some douche gets a ticket?!

i see nothing about incentives to do so...

snails 09-05-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xilley (Post 8314281)
Oh, okay so I should take my phone out to snap a pic of them while I drive too. SMART! WILL DEFINITELY DO!

Quote:

He suggests passengers snap a photo of the distracted driver and their licence plate.
:badpokerface:

Hondaracer 09-05-2013 02:36 PM

Ill do it for sure for some clowns swerving all over the freeway, usually females are the worst when you finally able to pass and they have their phone in their lap
Posted via RS Mobile

Spoon 09-05-2013 02:37 PM

If I was on the lane next to the sidewalk, how are they going to tell whether I was parked or not. :derp:

murd0c 09-05-2013 02:43 PM

Would this count?

xilley 09-05-2013 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snails (Post 8314286)
:badpokerface:

When police ask people to do this, then obviously people are going to wether they are driving or not.

1. People that can't stand to mind their own business.
2. Typical snitches
3. Road ragers.

Gnomes 09-05-2013 02:56 PM

The shitty & dangerous drivers thread should be a goldmine.

Sid Vicious 09-05-2013 03:11 PM

why not richmond rcmp? we desperately need this!!!

iEatClams 09-05-2013 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8314290)
Ill do it for sure for some clowns swerving all over the freeway, usually females are the worst when you finally able to pass and they have their phone in their lap
Posted via RS Mobile

Two of my friends have personally been hit in a car accident - due to the other drivers texting. Luckily for them, both incidents the other drivers at fault admitted to texting.

I see this all the time with people not driving when the light turns green or people crossing over road lines. texting is much worst than talking on the cell phone, ur not even looking up at the street!

negative.one 09-05-2013 03:43 PM

I think this is a very bad idea. Part of the reason we have law enforcement officers is because we trust that they will use some judgement on scene. This is the reason that we don't get a speeding ticket for going 52km/h in a 50km/h zone. The same goes for the distracted driver law. If a cop sees that someone is driving dangerously he will investigate. However, If someone was using their phone but driving safely this may not catch the attention of an officer and therefore cause no issues. Not sure about the rest of revscene, but I wouldn't appreciate it if for one moment I picked up my phone (to switch the song playing on my stereo, or check for missed calls) at a stop or lineup, only to have someone in the vehicle next to me invading my privacy and snapping photos, and end up going to court for distracted driving....

Ronin 09-05-2013 03:44 PM

Top Gear asked this question a couple seasons ago and I totally agree...when did people decide driving was so hard that we can't do anything but drive? Driving is easy. It doesn't matter if people are on the phone or whatever...shitty drivers will be shitty drivers.

Make it harder for people to get driver's licenses if you want to reduce accidents. This sort of crap is just a cash grab.

And Victoria? I drove there for a few days a couple months ago and it was fucking lovely because people know how to drive there. People actually understood what 4-way stops mean.

negative.one 09-05-2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronin (Post 8314335)
Top Gear asked this question a couple seasons ago and I totally agree...when did people decide driving was so hard that we can't do anything but drive? Driving is easy. It doesn't matter if people are on the phone or whatever...shitty drivers will be shitty drivers.

Make it harder for people to get driver's licenses if you want to reduce accidents. This sort of crap is just a cash grab.

completely agree with this. before the distracted driving/cellphone law came into place, my parents would use their cellphone while driving for business reasons and never once got into an accident in over 20 years. Of course they weren't texting, just answering phone calls. Some people drive safe, others do not. A cellphone or any other device will not change this

SpeedStars 09-05-2013 03:52 PM

While there is some truth to the madness...regardless of how good a driver you are, if your eyes arent on the road, you're gonna have a bad time.
Posted via RS Mobile

Kidnapman 09-05-2013 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by negative.one (Post 8314334)
I think this is a very bad idea. Part of the reason we have law enforcement officers is because we trust that they will use some judgement on scene. This is the reason that we don't get a speeding ticket for going 52km/h in a 50km/h zone. The same goes for the distracted driver law. If a cop sees that someone is driving dangerously he will investigate. However, If someone was using their phone but driving safely this may not catch the attention of an officer and therefore cause no issues. Not sure about the rest of revscene, but I wouldn't appreciate it if for one moment I picked up my phone (to switch the song playing on my stereo, or check for missed calls) at a stop or lineup, only to have someone in the vehicle next to me invading my privacy and snapping photos, and end up going to court for distracted driving....

No, there is no judgement needed. There is absolutely no tolerance for using a cellphone even if you think you're a better driver than everyone else which in most cases you aren't. The law is the law.

dangonay 09-05-2013 03:59 PM

I'm gonna send in some pics of people getting road skull while driving.
Posted via RS Mobile

finbar 09-05-2013 05:27 PM

Councillor Shellie Gudgeon look out.

knight604 09-05-2013 05:38 PM

Aint no bodi got time for dis

negative.one 09-05-2013 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kidnapman (Post 8314347)
No, there is no judgement needed. There is absolutely no tolerance for using a cellphone even if you think you're a better driver than everyone else which in most cases you aren't. The law is the law.

Don't speak in absolutes. Of course there is judgement needed. Would you like to be given a ticket every time you don't come to a complete stop at a stop sign?

rexsomnii 09-05-2013 07:09 PM

http://c1.nrostatic.com/sites/defaul...A%20TARP_0.jpg

stewie 09-05-2013 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by negative.one (Post 8314451)
Don't speak in absolutes. Of course there is judgement needed. Would you like to be given a ticket every time you don't come to a complete stop at a stop sign?

for me, I wouldn't have to worry, I actually stop at stop signs.

but day after day I see kids with N's on the back of their cars with a stereo cranked or a woman blabbing on a cellphone thats glued to the side of their head (coming home from Penticton on Monday, we drove almost 2 hours with the same 10-15 cars around us, the entire time this one broad had her phone at her ear). every time I see it I think to myself or say to whoevers with me in the car "look at this asshole...get off your fucking phone you douchebag".

if im driving down the road as a passenger and I see someone with a phone glued to their head, id love to snap a pic and send it in. if he doesn't get caught by police, he may go 5-10 years without being caught or end up in a severe accident, maybe him getting nipped in the butt will give him a wake up call sooner than later.

fuck it, cops asked for help with sending in photos for the riots, I don't see anything wrong with it happening with this.

my personal opinion, id be up for it. I don't break any laws so ive nothing to be worried about.

MarkyMark 09-05-2013 09:28 PM

My only complaint is some asshole without a passenger is going to see someone doing something they shouldn't, and then try to take matters into their own hands and take the picture themselves. Meanwhile they will be not paying attention as they try to get a picture of them and their license plate. Don't tell me people wouldn't try to do this, there are a lot of people out there like this.

dark0821 09-05-2013 09:50 PM

i am not going to lie, the whole time reading thru the article i was hoping that there will be a incentive program for the one taking the photos.

if that happens, i dare to say that a day on No.3 road will probably get you more income than your normal day jobs =P

Kidnapman 09-05-2013 09:58 PM

Protecting loved ones from distracted drivers should be more than enough of an incentive for anyone to do their part.