REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:27 PM   #1
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Victoria Police want you to send them photos of distracted drivers

I wonder how effective this would be to deter distracted drivers.

Quote:
VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) – Do you ever get angry when you’re driving next to someone who is texting and driving?

Police are encouraging you to take a picture of that person in the act.

Victoria Police Chief Jamie Graham has made it clear this should only be done by someone in the passenger seat. He suggests passengers snap a photo of the distracted driver and their licence plate, if possible.

“If the case is serious and/or egregious, you should contact the police and insist that you’re prepared to go to court. if you’re prepared to do that, we’re prepared to [recommend charges against] the registered owner and take them to court.”

“And then they’ll have to explain to a judge why whoever was loaned the car — or they, personally — engaged in this kind of behaviour,” he adds.

Graham even wants you to go out of your way to take a photo of a distracted driver. He suggests you drive slowly down one lane while the other lane is stopped.

“Knowing that your fellow citizens are prepared to go to court and testify against [you], we think that’s important.”

Police also want tougher legislation for distracted driving, including stiffer fines.

Privacy group questions effectiveness

A local privacy group has a lot of questions about the police’s idea to get people to snap photos of distracted drivers.

Micheal Vonn with the BC Civil Liberties Association wants to know if it’s even an effective way to catch drivers. She also wonders why officers don’t do a test run before asking you to help out.

“Whether you might not be, in fact, creating more distraction in terms of these sorts of actions on the road. I think that’s a fair question.”

Vonn is also hoping police explain where the idea came from. “It would be interesting to know whether this was something that was dreamed up or are these campaigns that have been initiated elsewhere that we [police] actually have some understanding about. Whether they work, whether they operate, are they effective?”

Police are clarifying it would only be your passenger being allowed to take a photo of someone texting or talking on their cell behind the wheel, that image would then be used to help recommend and possibly lay charges.
Advertisement
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:30 PM   #2
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,121 Times in 669 Posts
Oh, okay so I should take my phone out to snap a pic of them while I drive too. SMART! WILL DEFINITELY DO!
xilley is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2013, 02:32 PM   #3
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
because people care enough to go to court so some douche gets a ticket?!

i see nothing about incentives to do so...
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:33 PM   #4
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xilley View Post
Oh, okay so I should take my phone out to snap a pic of them while I drive too. SMART! WILL DEFINITELY DO!
Quote:
He suggests passengers snap a photo of the distracted driver and their licence plate.
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2013, 02:36 PM   #5
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,239 Times in 5,600 Posts
Ill do it for sure for some clowns swerving all over the freeway, usually females are the worst when you finally able to pass and they have their phone in their lap
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2013, 02:37 PM   #6
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
If I was on the lane next to the sidewalk, how are they going to tell whether I was parked or not.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:43 PM   #7
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,577 Times in 4,294 Posts
Would this count?

murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2013, 02:43 PM   #8
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,121 Times in 669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snails View Post
When police ask people to do this, then obviously people are going to wether they are driving or not.

1. People that can't stand to mind their own business.
2. Typical snitches
3. Road ragers.
xilley is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2013, 02:56 PM   #9
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

The shitty & dangerous drivers thread should be a goldmine.
Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2013, 03:11 PM   #10

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
why not richmond rcmp? we desperately need this!!!
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:40 PM   #11
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Ill do it for sure for some clowns swerving all over the freeway, usually females are the worst when you finally able to pass and they have their phone in their lap
Posted via RS Mobile
Two of my friends have personally been hit in a car accident - due to the other drivers texting. Luckily for them, both incidents the other drivers at fault admitted to texting.

I see this all the time with people not driving when the light turns green or people crossing over road lines. texting is much worst than talking on the cell phone, ur not even looking up at the street!
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:43 PM   #12
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

I think this is a very bad idea. Part of the reason we have law enforcement officers is because we trust that they will use some judgement on scene. This is the reason that we don't get a speeding ticket for going 52km/h in a 50km/h zone. The same goes for the distracted driver law. If a cop sees that someone is driving dangerously he will investigate. However, If someone was using their phone but driving safely this may not catch the attention of an officer and therefore cause no issues. Not sure about the rest of revscene, but I wouldn't appreciate it if for one moment I picked up my phone (to switch the song playing on my stereo, or check for missed calls) at a stop or lineup, only to have someone in the vehicle next to me invading my privacy and snapping photos, and end up going to court for distracted driving....
negative.one is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2013, 03:44 PM   #13
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Top Gear asked this question a couple seasons ago and I totally agree...when did people decide driving was so hard that we can't do anything but drive? Driving is easy. It doesn't matter if people are on the phone or whatever...shitty drivers will be shitty drivers.

Make it harder for people to get driver's licenses if you want to reduce accidents. This sort of crap is just a cash grab.

And Victoria? I drove there for a few days a couple months ago and it was fucking lovely because people know how to drive there. People actually understood what 4-way stops mean.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Top Gear asked this question a couple seasons ago and I totally agree...when did people decide driving was so hard that we can't do anything but drive? Driving is easy. It doesn't matter if people are on the phone or whatever...shitty drivers will be shitty drivers.

Make it harder for people to get driver's licenses if you want to reduce accidents. This sort of crap is just a cash grab.

completely agree with this. before the distracted driving/cellphone law came into place, my parents would use their cellphone while driving for business reasons and never once got into an accident in over 20 years. Of course they weren't texting, just answering phone calls. Some people drive safe, others do not. A cellphone or any other device will not change this
Old 09-05-2013, 03:52 PM   #15

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
While there is some truth to the madness...regardless of how good a driver you are, if your eyes arent on the road, you're gonna have a bad time.
Posted via RS Mobile
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2013, 03:55 PM   #16
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by negative.one View Post
I think this is a very bad idea. Part of the reason we have law enforcement officers is because we trust that they will use some judgement on scene. This is the reason that we don't get a speeding ticket for going 52km/h in a 50km/h zone. The same goes for the distracted driver law. If a cop sees that someone is driving dangerously he will investigate. However, If someone was using their phone but driving safely this may not catch the attention of an officer and therefore cause no issues. Not sure about the rest of revscene, but I wouldn't appreciate it if for one moment I picked up my phone (to switch the song playing on my stereo, or check for missed calls) at a stop or lineup, only to have someone in the vehicle next to me invading my privacy and snapping photos, and end up going to court for distracted driving....
No, there is no judgement needed. There is absolutely no tolerance for using a cellphone even if you think you're a better driver than everyone else which in most cases you aren't. The law is the law.
Kidnapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:59 PM   #17
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
I'm gonna send in some pics of people getting road skull while driving.
Posted via RS Mobile
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:27 PM   #18

Thanked 1,979 Times in 262 Posts
Councillor Shellie Gudgeon look out.
finbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:38 PM   #19
#deephouse

Thanked 4,704 Times in 1,243 Posts
Aint no bodi got time for dis
Old 09-05-2013, 06:16 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidnapman View Post
No, there is no judgement needed. There is absolutely no tolerance for using a cellphone even if you think you're a better driver than everyone else which in most cases you aren't. The law is the law.
Don't speak in absolutes. Of course there is judgement needed. Would you like to be given a ticket every time you don't come to a complete stop at a stop sign?
This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2013, 07:09 PM   #21
Rider

Thanked 2,601 Times in 272 Posts
Old 09-05-2013, 08:26 PM   #22
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by negative.one View Post
Don't speak in absolutes. Of course there is judgement needed. Would you like to be given a ticket every time you don't come to a complete stop at a stop sign?
for me, I wouldn't have to worry, I actually stop at stop signs.

but day after day I see kids with N's on the back of their cars with a stereo cranked or a woman blabbing on a cellphone thats glued to the side of their head (coming home from Penticton on Monday, we drove almost 2 hours with the same 10-15 cars around us, the entire time this one broad had her phone at her ear). every time I see it I think to myself or say to whoevers with me in the car "look at this asshole...get off your fucking phone you douchebag".

if im driving down the road as a passenger and I see someone with a phone glued to their head, id love to snap a pic and send it in. if he doesn't get caught by police, he may go 5-10 years without being caught or end up in a severe accident, maybe him getting nipped in the butt will give him a wake up call sooner than later.

fuck it, cops asked for help with sending in photos for the riots, I don't see anything wrong with it happening with this.

my personal opinion, id be up for it. I don't break any laws so ive nothing to be worried about.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2013, 09:28 PM   #23
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,221 Times in 1,214 Posts
My only complaint is some asshole without a passenger is going to see someone doing something they shouldn't, and then try to take matters into their own hands and take the picture themselves. Meanwhile they will be not paying attention as they try to get a picture of them and their license plate. Don't tell me people wouldn't try to do this, there are a lot of people out there like this.
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2013, 09:50 PM   #24

Thanked 1,994 Times in 539 Posts
i am not going to lie, the whole time reading thru the article i was hoping that there will be a incentive program for the one taking the photos.

if that happens, i dare to say that a day on No.3 road will probably get you more income than your normal day jobs =P

AE101 Rolla 96' //Sold
RPS13 240SX 90' //STOLEN
RMS13 240SX 91' //Scrapped
RHS13 240SX 90' //Scrapped
S35 Rogue 12' //Gifted to Parents
GD 6MT Elantra 13' //Sold
CZ4A 5MT GSR Evo 08' // Totalled
Ioniq DCT 19' //Traded in
NA MX-5 5MT 97' // Sold
Prius Prime 21' //Traded in
Tesla Model 3 RWD DD
GSX-R 600 K5' Mental Therapy
Prius Prime 24' New Kids Carrier
dark0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:58 PM   #25

Protecting loved ones from distracted drivers should be more than enough of an incentive for anyone to do their part.
Kidnapman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by: