REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Indian - American wins MISS AMERICA - mass racism & hate follows. ... (https://www.revscene.net/forums/688319-indian-american-wins-miss-america-mass-racism-hate-follows.html)

Acura604 09-16-2013 06:43 PM

Indian - American wins MISS AMERICA - mass racism & hate follows. ...

Miss America 2013: Nina Davuluri, Miss New York, Crowned Amid Torrent Of Twitter Hate

That country will never evolve out of its roots of racism.
http://www.vanityfair.com/online/dai...a-davuluri.jpg

ATLANTIC CITY, NJ - SEPTEMBER 11:

Apparently, Twitter threw a parade for newly crowned Miss America, Nina Davuluri.

A hate parade.

Davuluri, who reigned as Miss New York, was awarded the top crown on Sunday night in Atlantic City, New Jersey. The 24-year-old is the second winner from her state in the past two years -- but the first of Indian descent.

“I’m so happy this organization has embraced diversity,” she said at her first press conference in Atlantic City. “I’m thankful there are children watching at home who can finally relate to a new Miss America.”

And that may have been too much for some to swallow. Here's a smattering of the scorn smeared across the Twitterverse shortly after Davuluri's coronation -- a minority, but rather shockingly vocal opinion.

Be warned. Hate ahead.

You have got to be kidding me... We have a black president, now Miss America is an ARAB. Maybe this world is really coming to an end ������

— Jimmy Slimmy (@PolishPoundCake) September 16, 2013

Are you serious??!!! The Arab wins??!!! This is miss AMERICA!!! Not miss Arabia!!! Miss Kansas is in the army and is a country girl!!! C'mon

— Cade Minnick (@Cademinnick413) September 16, 2013

I thought this was Miss America, not Miss Arab.

— Anthis (@Anthis12) September 16, 2013
The cruel cavalcade went on, with one user suggesting the coronation must have 'made Obama happy,' while another vented, 'When will a white woman win Miss America?'

Even Fox News host Todd Starnes appeared to get on the hate wagon, tweeting thus:

"The liberal Miss America judges won't say this - but Miss Kansas lost because she actually represented American values."

For her part, Davuluri took the slings and arrows of outrageous America in stride.

“I have to rise above that,” she told reporters at a press conference after the event. “I always viewed myself as first and foremost American.”

As Time magazine reports, it took about an hour after the coronation for the sane side of the Twitterverse to prevail, eventually banishing the bigotry with hearty support and congratulations for the new Miss America.

Gridlock 09-16-2013 06:49 PM

THIS IS OBAMA'S AMERICA!

This is what Rush, Alex Jones and Sarah were warning us about!

Or maybe we just shouldn't give a shit. Like, about Miss America as a thing, and a controversy if she's a shade of "not white" that apparently represents their country. Shit...imagine if she was Mexican. Then she'd be taking a job :rolleyes:

GLOW 09-16-2013 06:54 PM

what if she was asian :pokerface:

punkwax 09-16-2013 06:55 PM

I know only one thing.

She is hot.

BaoTurbo 09-16-2013 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLOW (Post 8321570)

I think the racism will be much more emphasized. Most likely something along the lines of "go back to China where you belong" sort of thing. Americans...

Or the word "chink" is going to be exchanged around, even from the asians :troll:

SpeedStars 09-16-2013 07:01 PM

Who cares about what a bunch of racist think? "Miss America" congratulates it's winners based on beauty and not the hue of their skin. Shit makes no sense. Anyone of any skin tone can be beautiful.

yray 09-16-2013 07:02 PM

Quote:

Spoiler!
:troll:

7seven 09-16-2013 07:09 PM

Who cares, is this really news? Unfortunately with Twitter and Facebook these days, there will always be negative overreactions to pretty much any event, this is what happens when idiots have easy access to a medium to publicize their opinions. This isn't isolated to Americans, idiots in Canada, Australia, England, China, etc.. flood to social media to express racist views over everything

westopher 09-16-2013 07:16 PM

Unfortunately the internet gives those a voice who never deserve to be heard, a voice that can be heard by millions. Theres a pile of racist fucking idiots everywhere.

Manic! 09-16-2013 07:18 PM

Who cares about beauty pageants anymore.

Same thing happened a few years ago when MP Peter Mackay married a former Miss Canada who was a Muslim.

MG1 09-16-2013 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nodnarb (Post 8321572)
I know only one thing.

She is hot.

Absolutely........

She is very pretty.

Lomac 09-16-2013 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westopher (Post 8321597)
Unfortunately the internet gives those a voice who never deserve to be heard, a voice that can be heard by millions. Theres a pile of racist fucking idiots everywhere.

And sadly, the media being the media, now gives voice to these comments that otherwise would have stayed relatively anonymous had they not been given publication.

dinosaur 09-16-2013 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaoTurbo (Post 8321576)
I think the racism will be much more emphasized. Most likely something along the lines of "go back to China where you belong" sort of thing. Americans...

Or the word "chink" is going to be exchanged around, even from the asians :troll:

I disagree.

To use a huge paint brush, it is my perception that Americans view...

Asian= Smart, polite, safe, small population living in the USA, harmless (of course a couple generations ago, this was NOT the case)
Black=Criminals, gang-bangers, rising middle class, under-educated, president
Mexican= illegal, stealing jobs, over-population, dirty
"brown" people= Muslims, terrorist, threat to "america", to be feared
White= superior to all

A lot of people fear "brown" people....specifically, a lot of white Americans fear brown people. And, by brown people I mean Indian, South-east Asian, North African, Middle Eastern, etc...

Disclaimer: THIS IS NOT MY PERCEPTION OF THESE PEOPLE, IT IS SIMPLY MY PERCEPTION OF WHAT EURO-AMERICANS THINK.

dinosaur 09-16-2013 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lomac (Post 8321606)
And sadly, the media being the media, now gives voice to these comments that otherwise would have stayed relatively anonymous had they not been given publication.

I thought we already decided today that we were not allowed to attack or critique the "media" :troll:

gdoh 09-16-2013 07:43 PM

wood sleigh / 10

Traum 09-16-2013 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acura604 (Post 8321563)
http://www.vanityfair.com/online/dai...a-davuluri.jpg

I wouldn't apply that racist label to the entire USoA. Rather, it is only a portion of dumba$$es that are feeling that way. And those dumba$$es will never evolve out of their own stupidity.

More interesting is the fact that US demographics is changing quite rapidly. In particular, the Hispanic population is growing at a strong rate. Americans of African and Asian descent are also growing quite noticeably.
Quote:

I'm pretty sure the 2 runner ups were both of Asian (Chinese?) descent, although they don't look 1st or even 2nd gen Asian to me.

pastarocket 09-16-2013 07:48 PM

+1. Miss America is hot! :whistle:

BrRsn 09-16-2013 07:48 PM

although impulsive, the lower extremities are rarely racist.

press on my american brethren, maybe one day you will have the tolerance a penis has, maybe one day.

hotshot1 09-16-2013 07:49 PM

Quote:

:rukidding:

Iceman-19 09-16-2013 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7seven (Post 8321591)
Who cares, is this really news? Unfortunately with Twitter and Facebook these days, there will always be negative overreactions to pretty much any event, this is what happens when idiots have easy access to a medium to publicize their opinions. This isn't isolated to Americans, idiots in Canada, Australia, England, China, etc.. flood to social media to express racist views over everything

Of course its news, something easy to swallow that the retards in the USA can get distracted by so they forget about all the really serious shit that the media won't report.

Harvey Specter 09-16-2013 07:59 PM

Who frankly gives a shit who won Miss America.

pastarocket 09-16-2013 08:06 PM

Miss California, Crystal Lee, is a fine looking first runner up. :)

https://sphotos-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/h...78876915_n.jpg

Hondaracer 09-16-2013 08:11 PM

Twitter is a very good gauge at honest, legitimate opinions :badpokerface:

SkinnyPupp 09-16-2013 08:14 PM

People are cunts on twitter, this is not news. Youtube is even worse btw. Even my popular video of baby animals gets the most disgusting hateful shit posted to it.

Lomac 09-16-2013 08:22 PM

That's why I always disable comments on my Youtube videos. Vimeo seems to have a much more mature crowd compared to YT.