REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-22-2013, 07:21 PM   #26
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,536 Times in 427 Posts
i thought icbc would cover only up to whatever you declared the value of the car was when you purchased the insurance? if icbc deemed the car to be worth less than the declared value, then you work with that number.

or am i getting this all wrong here?
Advertisement
SoNaRWaVe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:38 PM   #27
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNaRWaVe View Post
i thought icbc would cover only up to whatever you declared the value of the car was when you purchased the insurance? if icbc deemed the car to be worth less than the declared value, then you work with that number.

My understanding is that the amount they are willing to cover is based on what the current market price is for a similar vehicle. i.e. If I were to buy a car with mechanical issues for $1000 and I fixed all the issues myself (making it worth $10000), it wouldn't make sense for them to only cover what I paid. They need to give me enough money to purchase the same vehicle in the used market.
chucki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:10 PM   #28
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucki View Post
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:43 AM   #29
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xilley View Post
depends if shes 7/10 or not.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-23-2013, 01:41 PM   #30
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNaRWaVe View Post

that's only if you purchase "declared value" insurance. IIRC it's not available for purchase through ICBC for regular vehicles. If you have collector plates, you purchase declared value insurance, which is when you get your car appraised and insure it for a certain amount. in an event of a total loss, that's how much you get. Most other vehicles ICBC insures are insured on an "Actual cash value" basis, which is the market value of the vehicle immediately prior to the accident. As others have said, it doesn't matter how much you said you paid for the car when you bought it, you'll get the market value of it.

A car can be only 2 out of the 3.
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:39 PM   #31
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,536 Times in 427 Posts
yea, i don't know how that works then. its just because when i purchase insurance for my car, they never ask how much the value of the car is. but when i purchase motorcycle insurance, they always ask me how much the bike is.
SoNaRWaVe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:11 PM   #32
I'm invisible

Motorcycles and large commercial vehicles are rated for own damage based on declared value. But regular vehicles are based on rate group.
Posted via RS Mobile
Edison_Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:07 PM   #33
RS Lurker, I don't post!

The way I see it, it doesn't matter even if it was a gift.

A gift totalled = end of gift value = loss of money (because you could choose to sell that 'gift' for $$

ICBC still has to compensate for the loss.
nomad399 is offline   Reply With Quote