REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > 4x4's and the Great Outdoors

4x4's and the Great Outdoors THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
When pavement meets dirt, Beautiful British Columbia
When life on tarmac isn't enough. This section is for 4x4 Offroad Events, Pics, Discussion. Places to test your truck, Techniques and Skills. Everyone of all skill levels are welcome. Got a wicked campsite you would like to share? Discover the great outdoors, gear discussion etc.
A little mud never hurts, so get down and dirty...

Old 07-07-2014, 12:14 PM   #51
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,623 Times in 577 Posts
They ranged from 3 to 8 inches. Caught on a number 6 hook with 2 pink salmon eggs on the hook. I was bouncing it on the bottom with about a foot of leader and a 1 ounce sinker.
Advertisement
T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-07-2014, 09:32 PM   #52
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,830 Times in 233 Posts
20 mile bay

nsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-08-2014, 05:03 AM   #53
Survivor MOD

how was the drive up in the 4runner?
Old 07-10-2014, 08:57 PM   #54

longer then expected.. do you air down on fsr's? my old lady didnt like the ride
Old 07-10-2014, 09:03 PM   #55
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
I found just airing down to 20-25 makes a big difference in ride on FSRs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-10-2014, 11:48 PM   #56
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,133 Times in 309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmb View Post
do you air down on fsr's?
I generally can't be bothered. Depends where I'm going/how far/how fast I plan on running in the straight sections, etc. I got spoiled having on-board air in the past so having to make it all the way back to my house or to a gas station normally deadens my desire to air down. Realistically speaking though if there is air anywhere near the trailhead then yeah, you should air down.
Babykiller - And next to that, there's a little dot called a period. It's not the stuff you eat out of your sisters gash, it's a handy little tool for breaking up sentences so they don't look like nonsensical retard garbage.
Brianrietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:27 PM   #57
Survivor MOD

went out and explored the chance creek and roe creek area between squamish and whistler.

a few pics.

it hit 35 degrees up there. absolutely gorgeous area. plenty of places to do some shooting and camping. the grade was so steep in some sections i ended up goin into 4lo and 1st gear to keep from having to ride the brakes down.

didn't get to fish like i'd planned but wound up bbqing, shooting and doin some 4x4ing so all in all a good day

This post thanked by:
Old 07-12-2014, 09:32 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4RAWR View Post
didn't get to fish like i'd planned
but wound up bbqing, shooting and doin some 4x4ing
Sweet!

So a while ago I'd spoken with my mother about not having roadtripped anywhere in some time and so the other day she asked me whether I wanted to head out to the Southern Okanagan somewhere this weekend. I naturally said yes because I had a feeling I was going to get a chance to get her 14 JGC off pavement somewhere. After plans to meet with an old Kelowna roommate in Penticton for lunch Friday fell through we were no longer in any rush to get out there and ended up taking five hours just to go from Chilliwack to Princeton. First stop was at the Hope Slide lookout as I hadn't out as far as Sunshine Valley on the #3 in years and probably not at the lookout in 7+. The Hope Slide for those of you who aren't aware of it was the largest landslide ever recorded in Canada when in January 1965 the SW slope of Johnson Peak collapsed. 47 million or so cubic meters of debris came down killing 4 people on the highway while ending up to 85 meters deep and almost 3 kilometers wide.

Despite my woefully inappropriate hiking footwear, we scrambled all over the rocks there for a while and found what I assume must have been used to load trucks with rocks/gravel made around the slide area during the construction of the rebuilt section of the highway. If someone else has a better idea of what the structure was used for please let me know!

In amongst the rubble of the mountain the flowers really pop against the grey rocky backdrop. Does anyone know what this orange flower is? The flower head was no more than a loonie's size.

We carried on and upon reaching the boundaries of Manning Park I took the wheel. I took pretty much the first opportunity I had to head off up the side of a hill on an unkempt gravel road and some way up found a large clearing that had large areas covered in mulch and just past it what looked like old tent pads returning to nature. Must have been some sort of camp type area at some point in the past? In more recent times it's obviously somebody's backwoods bush party area as there was no shortage of pallets around the centerpiece of a rather immobilized truck:

On the drive up towards Blackwall Peak we came around a switchback with some cones out to find the following. Silly Hyundai, you're not a Jeep:

And/or Hyundai cannot into corners:

The views from the Cascade Lookout at the end of the paved road up are of course spectacular.

After that we carried on up another 8k or so of washboarded gravel to the beginning of the Heather Trail. We wandered around the trails around the parking area at the trailhead a bit although didn't get much for photos as the flies and mosquitos were hungry and we were the meal.

At that point we were pretty hungry so we carried on to Princeton and while not outdoors or 4x4 related I thought it was cool that the exact spot of the random road I turned down and parked on the side of to check my phone happened to be 1967 terminus of highway 5, back before the Coquihalla was punched through from Hope to Merritt.

This was unfortunately the best photo I could get of the old mines up on the hill behind Hedley and basically after Princeton I'd lost most of my will to take photos which didn't reappear until we went to the Osoyoos Desert Model Railroad which was fantastic but that's for another thread. I'm getting rambly so enough... anyways here are the last 3 photos: {Hedley mines; looking down the hill towards Osoyoos; overlooking Keremeos facing west down the highway}

Babykiller - And next to that, there's a little dot called a period. It's not the stuff you eat out of your sisters gash, it's a handy little tool for breaking up sentences so they don't look like nonsensical retard garbage.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:21 PM   #59
2 Wheelin' Mod

Had a fail camping experience just this past friday. Went to the west side of Harrison lake thinking we would stop some where randomly, well after going down trail after trail and finding people already set up.

we decided to go to the first spot we found which was right off the FSR well while backing up the truck my friend drove over a sharp rock and put a hole in the tire not to big of a deal so we look under the truck (it was borrowed) and there was no spare tire...

Ended up driving home at 10:30 at night and stopped like 10 times to put air in the tire. The pump we brought with us couldn't pump the tire over 30psi
Jas29 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2014, 05:59 PM   #60

just a heads up, there is a camp fire ban in effect now for all the local areas

Fire Prohibitions and Area Restrictions - Wildfire Management Branch - Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations - Province of British Columbia
This post thanked by:
Old 09-07-2014, 11:10 PM   #61
kwy
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,715 Times in 595 Posts
Stave Lake mud flats and a few trails today in the Jeep with the BCJC. Beautiful weather for some wheeling.
1989 BMW 525i
2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
2006 Mazda 3
2008 Jeep Liberty
2003 Infiniti G35
1995 Eagle Talon
1984 Chevrolet Corvette
1981 Pontiac Trans Am
1992 BMW 535i
kwy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-08-2014, 06:20 PM   #62

Did a little run up to Jones Lake on Sunday, then over to American Creek FSR just north of Hope, which loops back to Ruby Creek FSR by Aggasiz. Nice easy run with some cool sights along the way

At Jones Lake:

American/Ruby loop:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 09-10-2014, 07:35 PM   #63
Cellworldco

Anyone wanna go quading,

ATV POKER RIDE @ CHIPMUNK RIDE TO LIVE FOR PROSTATE CANCER

Quads.ca ? View topic - ATV POKER RIDE @ CHIPMUNK RIDE TO LIVE FOR PROSTATE CANCER

Honda is sponsoring this event.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:57 AM   #64
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Lmao at that hyundai.
Old 01-01-2015, 01:12 AM   #65

Quote:
In amongst the rubble of the mountain the flowers really pop against the grey rocky backdrop. Does anyone know what this orange flower is? The flower head was no more than a loonie's size.

I did eventually figure it out - it's called Orange Hawkweed. Pilosella aurantiaca - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BC ministry of agriculture considers it a noxious weed.

Spoiler!

Anyways, spent Wednesday afternoon at the Fraser quadding and generally freezing our asses off before heading out to Harrison Hot Springs for dinner. Didn't take much for pictures of course with the cold:

I'm sure at least some of you went somewhere over the holidays? Let's hear about it!
This post thanked by:
Old 01-01-2015, 03:58 PM   #66
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
Went up the Squamish Valley with the family today. The road was covered with snow and ice, but it was an easy drive with my studded tires. The boys loved the snow and I got my wife to try out the 20g for 15 rounds.

Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-07-2015, 10:57 PM   #67
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
Nothing as exciting as what the past couple members did but had dinner in the area so decided to go rip around triangle for a bit

There was a F-150 there doing the same thing too we passed each other a few times. Is that anybody on RS?

Sorry for potato pics lol iPhone doesnt take pics too well in the dark apparently

Cadillac CTS (Current)
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-17-2015, 06:48 PM   #68

Neat. Pretty much no phone is going to take a good picture in low light like that. I still have never actually gone to Triangle. Gave some pallets a proper Viking funeral in the rain today though:

This post thanked by:
Old 01-31-2015, 08:41 PM   #69
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
Went to Pegleg today

T4RAWR you were right it's called pegleg

Bottomed out and kind of fucked up my bumper lol

This was Cultus last week

Cadillac CTS (Current)
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-10-2015, 10:47 PM   #70

Had a fun trip toodling around Vedder this past Sunday. Had some 15 rigs in total, all Jeeps except one Tacoma (guy's first time wheeling it, did pretty good!)

There's me bringing up the rear:

Stretching out at Cell Tower:

One kid rolled his XJ going around that same rock... can't find a pic of it offhand, but he drove it off the mountain after I winched it off the rock it landed on.
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 03-04-2015, 01:09 AM   #71

I've been sick as hell for the past week and going crazy lying around the house rather than out during this (in my humble opinion) prime camping weather. Just took a quick trip out into the hills to get some vitamin D. Sometimes when you are sick and get down it's hard to remember that this sorta place is like 25 minutes from my house. Can't get over this cold or whatever soon enough.

Better get out to see the waterfalls now, because with the snowfall we've had this year they aren't going to be around for long...

This post thanked by:
Old 03-15-2015, 03:26 PM   #72
Survivor MOD

Been a long while since I've been able to get out anywhere but today was the day that I decided to make it happen.

drove along the sea to sky heading towards squamish to explore a new area that i hadn't been to before.

some photos from the drive.

drove in as far as we could before stopping for lunch.

tools of the trade for the day

brought along my bark river canadian camp knife II, my custom buck 110 (koa, nickle and s30v), my gransfors bruks scandanavian forest axe and my new winchester 1892 take down in 44 mag.

i brought a variety of loads to play with for my new rifle and wanted to see each one shot through it.

left to right = PMC 180gr, S&B 240gr, Fiocchi 240gr, Hornday 225gr ftx, Hornady 300gr xtp, custom loaded 300gr hard cast round in +P with starline brass.

out of all the rounds, the hornady 225gr ftx felt like it did a number on the targets i hit.

this can was hit with the 225gr ftx and didnt even move

the other cans that were hit with the 300gr stuff simply disintegrated.

onto the rifle

the rifle itself is quite nice. its a winchester 1892 take down model chambered in .44 rem mag

it has a 7+1 capacity and cycled rounds with ease.

there is a tang mounted manual safety which is quite easy to manipulate and doesnt bother me at all. i own the chiappa 1892 alaskan in .44 mag with the 20" barrel as well which has no safety and i didnt feel like the winchesters safety negatively impacted the rifle.

the barrel length of the rifle is 16" and feel extremely handy and light. my one gripe with the rifle is the sights and i'll be replacing the buckhorn rear sights with a set of skinner apeture sights like the ones on my chiappa 1892 alaskan.

this will be my backpacking/truck gun for when i'm out in the woods for a few reasons. its handy, lights, breaks down into a small package and can pack a wallop especially with the 300gr hardcast +P stuff. i'm confident that if i were to encounter any aggressive animal whether they be coyotes, cougars or black bears i'd be able to take them down with the .44 mag.

all in all a good day. nice to be out and about.

thanks for looking
This post thanked by:
Old 03-15-2015, 04:46 PM   #73

Is the road still washed out partway in? I know they had it open all the way to Indian Arm, but then a couple months ago a huge chunk of road washed away, I think they said about 17km in.
Quote:
Old 03-15-2015, 05:01 PM   #74
Survivor MOD

not sure but where i got to there was a washout about 20 feet wide.

i wasnt trying to access mamquam so i'm not certain. definitely another reason to go back there and explore some more
Old 03-15-2015, 06:25 PM   #75
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
I'm always into exploring on the weekends.
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: