REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-30-2013, 05:41 PM   #1
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,907 Times in 754 Posts
So.. You want a brake inspection at Cdn Tire?

Courtesy of CTV - although most likely an isolated incident.

A Vancouver musician is upset with the reaction he’s received from a major Canadian automotive store, after the wheels on his car flew off in what could have been a deadly accident.
James Justin took his 1997 Volkswagon Golf into Canadian Tire in White Rock in July to get his brakes checked.
The estimate was expensive, so Justin decided to have his own mechanic do the work instead, and asked Canadian Tire to put the wheels back on. He then drove away.
Justin had just pulled off the highway, and was blocks away from his Vancouver home, when disaster struck.
“I felt my back wheels. I was starting to lose control in some way, so I did a right shoulder check, was pulling over to the inside lane when everything came apart," he said.
Justin’s car smashed to the ground when both rear wheels flew off. One rolled into oncoming traffic while the other ended up in a public park.
"It honestly felt like I was in a cartoon. The undercarriage of the car is hitting the cement. It hit with a jolt. Then watching my wheels roll off in front of me. It's a bit of a shock, isn't it?" said Justin.
The car was damaged, but Justin knows it could have been a lot worse.
"When you look at the idea, on the highway you're traveling 100 kilometres an hour, vehicles behind, in front, anything could have happened. You're looking at serious injuries to multiple fatalities," he said.
At first, Justin says the general manager of the White Rock Canadian Tire was apologetic, and arranged to get him a rental car. But the Vancouver man only recently got his damaged Volkswagen back from the insurance company that took over the file from Canadian Tire and he's still waiting for compensation.
"Eight weeks later this case is still ongoing, out of pocket expenses, for towing, rental vehicles,” he said.
After Steele on Your Side made several requests for an interview with Canadian Tire, the company’s public relations department emailed to say they were unable to provide a spokesperson to speak on the issue.
But CTV emailed photos of the incident to Canadian Tire's CEO, appealing to him to take a closer look at Justin’s case. The company's VP of communications, Robert Nicol, emailed back to say: "We're very disappointed to hear about this incident. It's simply not acceptable," and that "we acted quickly to investigate and immediately apologized to the customer."
Justin says he’s pleased the company is now getting involved with his situation and hopes new measures can be put in place so that a similar situation does not happen again.

Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-30-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
*Justin decided to have his own mechanic do the work instead, and asked Canadian Tire to put the wheels back on. *

What doesn't seem right here?
Posted via RS Mobile
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:10 PM   #3
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,355 Times in 1,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothie. View Post
*Justin decided to have his own mechanic do the work instead, and asked Canadian Tire to put the wheels back on. *

Posted via RS Mobile
Canadian Tire didn't torque his wheels. Not very hard to understand...

This happens a lot unfortunately. Had a similar incident with an E36 M3 from work on the way back from Big-O Tires in West Van. I found out sooner though and pulled over and tighten all the nuts.
boostfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:13 PM   #4
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfever View Post
Canadian Tire didn't torque his wheels. Not very hard to understand...
He has is own mechanic, yet went to Canadian tire.. Why?
Posted via RS Mobile
kr4l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:15 PM   #5
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothie. View Post

Posted via RS Mobile
He was driving home from canadian tire, after deciding it'd be better to have his own mechanic fix it another day.

Worded poorly.

I've had some great experiences with canadian tire lol -- guess it's hit and miss. Some asshole cut the valve stems off my new car a few years back, guy at canadian tire fixed it for free
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:17 PM   #6
Banned By Establishment

crappy tire ftw
tipy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:36 PM   #7
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
He was driving home from canadian tire, after deciding it'd be better to have his own mechanic fix it another day.

Worded poorly.

I've had some great experiences with canadian tire lol -- guess it's hit and miss. Some asshole cut the valve stems off my new car a few years back, guy at canadian tire fixed it for free

I had an incident with a broken axle in Penticton years ago, was stranded and needed to get back to work in like 24 hours. The manager of the Canadian Tire's shop actually pulled an all-nighter to get my car fixed, charged me the normal rate, and even drove the car out to where I was staying so I could get back in time so I didn't get fired.

So many good experiences with Canadian Tire over the years
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-30-2013, 07:05 PM   #8
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Stuff like this can happen anywhere. Turns out mechanics are human beings too, regardless of who their employer is.

Clearly it's not acceptable, but when something like this happens at a big chain, it doesn't mean all the mechanics at all the locations of that chain are going to do the same thing.
Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-30-2013, 07:08 PM   #9
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by multicartual View Post
I had an incident with a broken axle in Penticton years ago, was stranded and needed to get back to work in like 24 hours. The manager of the Canadian Tire's shop actually pulled an all-nighter to get my car fixed, charged me the normal rate, and even drove the car out to where I was staying so I could get back in time so I didn't get fired.

So many good experiences with Canadian Tire over the years
A good story about Canadian tire...?

What's the saying? If you're going to lie, at least make it believable?

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:23 PM   #10
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
The horror story to positive story ratio with Canadian Tire is too damn high!
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:30 PM   #11
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
^ They probably run community programs to help kids/students find jobs in the trade, and as such they probably hire a disproportionately high number of apprentices

ergo, johnny stoner, the shop apprentice, forgot to torque the lugs
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:36 PM   #12
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
my buddy had the same thing happen at kal tire. They didn't toque his wheels after a tire change and his front wheel came off on the freeway doing 100km/h.... he smoked the barrier and totalled his brand new truck. I don't really trust any shop 100% anymore.

A car can be only 2 out of the 3.
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:55 PM   #13
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
I think i'm bringing a torque wrench next time kal tire mounts and balances a set of tires for me...

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:26 PM   #14
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

I always re-torque my wheels after going to a tire shop.

Even if they did it correctly, the metal can relax and give up some of the tension. It's good practice.
Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-30-2013, 09:35 PM   #15
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
After this incident calling it Cambodian Tire is an insult to all the Cambodians...

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:45 PM   #16
【=◈︿◈=】

Thanked 2,099 Times in 558 Posts
Quote:
At first, Justin says the general manager of the White Rock Canadian Tire was apologetic, and arranged to get him a rental car. But the Vancouver man only recently got his damaged Volkswagen back from the insurance company that took over the file from Canadian Tire and he's still waiting for compensation.
"Eight weeks later this case is still ongoing, out of pocket expenses, for towing, rental vehicles,” he said.
so to be clear.. the GM of the canadian tire he went to was apologetic, and also tried to make the situation better by getting him into a rental, yet he's gonna cry wolf and go to the media because the case is still ongoing eight weeks later?

first off, that isn't even a fault of canadian tire anymore, that's their insurance company - and if he's bitching at 8 weeks in, i can't wait to see his reaction when the case is finally concluded (likely at least months later) and he gets all his money back

shit happens, one tech forgot to torque the wheels - it could happen to anybody. as long as CT did/is trying to rectify, i don't see why this guy had to go and escalate it by going to the media. he's not the first guy to lose a wheel because a tech forgot a vital step, and he won't be the last. all this did was damage a shop's reputation - but maybe that's all he was going for lol

Last edited by - kT; 09-30-2013 at 09:52 PM.
- kT is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-30-2013, 10:47 PM   #17
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,584 Times in 4,318 Posts
^^^ In all fairness, the guy drives a '97 Golf, maybe he can't afford to continue paying for a rental, out of pocket.

What I'm wondering is, couldn't he have gone through ICBC, been given a rental til ICBC assessed the damages and repaired/replaced the vehicle and had CT reimburse them?

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:52 AM   #18
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,756 Times in 3,869 Posts
Icbc doesn't give anybody a rental. You have to pay an extra premium I believe where if you are in an accident, a rental car is provided for you.

To my knowledge. I may be wrong
Posted via RS Mobile
320icar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:08 AM   #19
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 2,169 Times in 249 Posts
^it's about an extra 100 a year on your insurance. I've had a pretty shitty experience with Canadian tire on 3 road. I was parting out my car and tried to remove my rear spacers, but the nut seized on the rears and I didnt have the 12 point sockets with the spiral grooves (it gets the nut out but destroys the nut) so I called canadian tire to do it(sunday) they said sure. When they ttook the car in, I waited for about an houra and then I hear a loud noise from the shop. They were using those flat head jack hammers (hand held) to remove the entire spacer with the wheel studs. I asked him what the hell are you doing? He said oh we couldn't get it out either. They didnt even have the socket that I asked in advanced. Long story short, a 1 hour job costed me 3 hours and 400 dollars.
Posted via RS Mobile
bigzz786786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:55 AM   #20
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-01-2013, 11:03 AM   #21
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Good for general parts, or around the house stuff.. But can safely say I'd never get my car serviced by them.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-01-2013, 11:32 AM   #22
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post
Good for general parts, or around the house stuff.. But can safely say I'd never get my car serviced by them.
There's only one solid reason that people do:

Store credit.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:33 AM   #23
straight from the fields of squamton

That'll teach him to abuse the free brake inspection program!

unfortunately this thing does happen every once in a while, but it sounds like the canadian tire did everything they could to make the situation right, and the guy still went to the media.

sad really.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:08 PM   #24
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
i do all the work to my car myself with the help of a friend that has his own shop

he has me in the habit of re torquing my wheels after we are done anything, most of the time after i roll the car out of his shop he goes around and checks them all himself with a torque wrench so it wont be his fault if my wheels go flying off down the road.

its also a good habit to recheck oil drain plugs... i have heard of way to many stories of those things falling out down the road and people seizing engines
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-01-2013, 12:14 PM   #25
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
my buddy had the same thing happen at kal tire. They didn't toque his wheels after a tire change and his front wheel came off on the freeway doing 100km/h.... he smoked the barrier and totalled his brand new truck. I don't really trust any shop 100% anymore.
every time i go to kal tire they tell me to come back later to retorque the lug nuts... i guess they weren't kidding.

i wonder what did cdn tire quote for the brake service...
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote