REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-01-2013, 12:34 PM   #26
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snails View Post
i do all the work to my car myself with the help of a friend that has his own shop

he has me in the habit of re torquing my wheels after we are done anything, most of the time after i roll the car out of his shop he goes around and checks them all himself with a torque wrench so it wont be his fault if my wheels go flying off down the road.

its also a good habit to recheck oil drain plugs... i have heard of way to many stories of those things falling out down the road and people seizing engines
30 seconds to think and make sure all your tools are out and bolts are tight before it leaves the bay, is always good practice.
Advertisement

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:41 PM   #27
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
we all remember this old video. watch it once and never forget to torque your lug nuts ever again:

(maybe they should use it for a cdn tire training video)
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-01-2013, 01:42 PM   #28
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,908 Times in 755 Posts
For those of us who do not have a torque wrench... what's a best practice to feel safe when bolting on your wheels?

I've always done the star pattern with the lugs... I have an electric impact gun that tightens to approx. 80-100lbs-ft...and then i'll take a regular tire iron and tighten. although I've NEVER had a problem with this method and I've done it nearly 100 times ... I think its time to invest in a torque wrench.
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:10 PM   #29
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acura604 View Post
For those of us who do not have a torque wrench... what's a best practice to feel safe when bolting on your wheels?

I've always done the star pattern with the lugs... I have an electric impact gun that tightens to approx. 80-100lbs-ft...and then i'll take a regular tire iron and tighten. although I've NEVER had a problem with this method and I've done it nearly 100 times ... I think its time to invest in a torque wrench.
i've read/been told by others if i don't have a torque wrench, then finger tighten the nuts, tighten with the tire iron, then a 1/4 turn more... is this what it says in the owner's manual?

having said that, the first time i had to change a flat to an emergency spare on the side of the road and i followed this, but by the time i got home things had loosened up and one of the lug nuts was gone on a 4x100 pattern. what i failed to do was drive on it a bit and then tighten again, but i was afraid of overtorquing it and have a lug nut seize on the stud.
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:33 PM   #30
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
i've read/been told by others if i don't have a torque wrench, then finger tighten the nuts, tighten with the tire iron, then a 1/4 turn more... is this what it says in the owner's manual?

having said that, the first time i had to change a flat to an emergency spare on the side of the road and i followed this, but by the time i got home things had loosened up and one of the lug nuts was gone on a 4x100 pattern. what i failed to do was drive on it a bit and then tighten again, but i was afraid of overtorquing it and have a lug nut seize on the stud.
Both subjective, depending on who's doing it, their strength and experience.

Best advice would be to practice and check with a torque wrench, to see if you're too loose or too tight. Perfect time when you swap to/from winter wheels. In an emergency situation, I wouldn't hesitate to overtorque by up to 20ft/lbs.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:45 PM   #31
kwy
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,715 Times in 595 Posts
It's no secret that the "techs" that work at crappy tire are dumb high school kids..I knew plenty of them. Worst place to take your car.
1989 BMW 525i
2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
2006 Mazda 3
2008 Jeep Liberty
2003 Infiniti G35
1995 Eagle Talon
1984 Chevrolet Corvette
1981 Pontiac Trans Am
1992 BMW 535i
kwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:49 PM   #32
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
haha such a coincidents that this is being discussed.. look what i witnessed on my way home from work 20 mins ago!

f150 rolling thru cloverdale (64th and 168th) and his wheel goes flying off! wonder if he was coming from Canadian Tire..

snails is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-02-2013, 10:51 AM   #33
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICE BOY View Post
In an emergency situation, I wouldn't hesitate to overtorque by up to 20ft/lbs.
Emergency, yes. Having your wheels come off is bad.

But what a lot of people don't realize is that hand-torquing your wheels is a huge factor in warping brake rotors. Arms are crappy measurement devices, it's really easy to put 20lbs more on one lug than the previous one. This loads the rotors unevenly, so when it heats up it relaxes to a bent position.

Anyone who is in the habit of removing their own wheels should invest in a torque wrench.
Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:21 PM   #34
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

tighten those wheels as tight as you want on that golf and it would have still fallen off if the mechanic forgot to put a cotter pin back on after he checked the brakes which he probably forgot to do
Old 10-02-2013, 05:23 PM   #35
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klobbersaurus View Post
tighten those wheels as tight as you want on that golf and it would have still fallen off if the mechanic forgot to put a cotter pin back on after he checked the brakes which he probably forgot to do
yeah... picture shows the rear brake shoes exposed, which means the drums are still bolted to the wheel... somebody didn't put the cotter pin back in to the rear wheel bearings when inspecting the brakes, and the drums feel off as a result... terrible...
fng@regencyauto.com
narfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:33 PM   #36
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by narfy View Post
yeah... picture shows the rear brake shoes exposed, which means the drums are still bolted to the wheel... somebody didn't put the cotter pin back in to the rear wheel bearings when inspecting the brakes, and the drums feel off as a result... terrible...
Damn, good eyes.

I'd say that's a lot more forgivable and likely than forgetting to torque the lugs.
Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:38 PM   #37
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snails View Post
haha such a coincidents that this is being discussed.. look what i witnessed on my way home from work 20 mins ago!
slow things leaving trails is right up your alley, are you a mechanic at can tire?
sdubfid is offline   Reply With Quote