REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Langley resident finds pin in nieces’s Halloween candy (https://www.revscene.net/forums/689770-langley-resident-finds-pin-nieces%92s-halloween-candy.html)

Harvey Specter 11-01-2013 11:58 PM

Langley resident finds pin in nieces’s Halloween candy

Wow, scary stuff.

Langley resident finds pin in nieces’s Halloween candy

http://i1.wp.com/vipmedia.globalnews...size=720%2C452

Quote:

It’s a reminder to check the candy your kids brought home from Halloween trick-or-treating yesterday.

Langley resident Tanya Verbeek says her brother-in-law found a pin in her nieces’s KitKat bar.

The family went trick-or-treating in Surrey, but it was not until they came home that they found the pin.

“My [brother-in-law] was kind of rifling through [the candy] to have a small snack,” says Verbeek, “when he saw a small hole in the wrapper, and when he opened it further, he found the pin.”

She says it looks like a sewing pin. “It looks like somebody tried to push it in and then hand it out,” she says.

As Verbeek’s niece is not even two-years-old, she says the family is even more shocked.

“Especially since she’s so young, maybe an older kid would have noticed, but she would put anything in her mouth,” she says.

Verbeek’s brother-in-law did call the non-emergency line this morning, but was told since they do not know what house the candy came from, police cannot pursue the matter further.

It is not known if the pin was put in the candy deliberately, but Verbeek just wants to caution other parents and caregivers to check the candy before their kids devour it.

http://globalnews.ca/news/941894/lan...lloween-candy/

jonwon 11-02-2013 12:40 AM

thats fucked up... but its even more fucked up for someone to eat a kit kat vertically.

parm104 11-02-2013 12:41 AM

It's candy from Surrey, what do you expect?

JaPoola 11-02-2013 01:13 AM

Surrey "candy" is not actually candy

Matlock 11-02-2013 01:19 AM

I don't understand the reasoning as to why anyone would do something like that.
It doesn't accomplish anything and there would be nothing to gain other than to potentially hurt an innocent child.

It just makes me so mad. The things I could do to a sick bastard like that.

Bouncing Bettys 11-02-2013 02:57 AM

Looks like a full-sized kitkat. As a kid I know I certainly made note of which houses gave out full-sized candybars, which ones gave crap like toothbrushes, which didn't answer, etc Pretty risky of the person responsible to use such a standout treat. That is unless times have changed and full-sized is the norm.

quasi 11-02-2013 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bouncing Bettys (Post 8351984)
Looks like a full-sized kitkat.

It's only as wide as two fingers, looks like Halloween size to me.

Bouncing Bettys 11-02-2013 05:57 AM

^ah ok, didn't even see the hand holding it. So its the fun size or the full-sized held by a giant.

MG1 11-02-2013 08:09 AM

two fingers as in two pieces............

Also, who doesn't eat Kit Kats vertically? Do you nibble on them from the sides?

Something doesn't look right with that photo.......... anyway.

matrixfwd 11-02-2013 08:13 AM

I think that he thought it was a full size, and so he thought the person was strange to eat it without breaking off the pieces first and just chomping off vertically like it was a big cookie.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MG1 (Post 8352029)
two fingers as in two pieces............

Also, who doesn't eat Kit Kats vertically? Do you nibble on them from the sides?

Something doesn't look right with that photo.......... anyway.

MG1 11-02-2013 08:28 AM

If it were me, I'd be in big trouble. I'd tear the wrapper from end to end then pop the whole thing into my mouth and chomp on it. Good thing dude saw the tiny hole first.

Time to get out the metal detectors...........

This thread is making me crave for chocolates.

EmperorIS 11-02-2013 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parm104 (Post 8351944)
It's candy from Surrey, what do you expect?

OOOOOh! are you attributing that everyone in Surrey put pins in their candies to give to children?

How Dare YOU! you are a terrible !

dinosaur 11-02-2013 09:04 AM

I bet they will find that the story was made up....just have a weird feeling about it.

Matlock 11-02-2013 09:31 AM

I remember maybe ten years ago, a little Asian girl died from poison in her candy. I think it was in East Van.

GS8 11-02-2013 10:45 AM

I always thought candy from Surrey was known as 'crack' ?

But, anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if this story is made up. This happens so rarely that it would be more common for someone to fake it just to reignite that old belief.

Also what's wrong with eating Kit Kat like corn on the cob? :suspicious:

parm104 11-02-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinosaur (Post 8352053)
I bet they will find that the story was made up....just have a weird feeling about it.

Exactly, from the perspective of someone wanting to be malicious, it just doesn't make sense putting a bobby pin into chocolate. Whoever did it would've had to assume that people eat the candy without opening the wrapper because as soon as you open the wrapper, the pin was obvious.

Just seems to me like someone wanted to get a story out or be in a story.

bcrdukes 11-02-2013 11:54 AM

I swear, Canada Line, man.

jeedee 11-02-2013 12:35 PM

http://img.pandawhale.com/28078-Some...h-th-sul8.jpeg

MindBomber 11-02-2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinosaur (Post 8352053)

It wouldn't be surprising.

I tend to think the perpetrator's a Christian attempting to disrupt/deter participation in Halloween. The view that Halloween's outright devil worship or at the least a subversion of values is not uncommon in Christian congregations. It would be effective. I don't doubt that this story on potentially dangerous candy will lead to some families not participating next year.

Personally, Halloween's my favourite holiday. I'll always participate.

dinosaur 11-02-2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindBomber (Post 8352170)
Personally, Halloween's my favourite holiday. I'll always participate.

Word.

Reasons why halloween is the best holiday:

-you are not obliged to visit your relatives
-you are not obliged to get gifts for anyone
-people will give you candy for absolutely no reason other than halloween
-its the only day when its socially acceptable to go out in public dressed like a penguin

bloodmack 11-02-2013 01:39 PM

uhm.. its totally socially acceptable to go out in public dressed like a penguin.. all times of the year.. christmas? dress like a penguin, st.patricks day? dress like a green penguin!

jeedee 11-02-2013 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinosaur (Post 8352183)
Word.

-its the only day when its socially acceptable to go out in public dressed like a penguin

you forgot about girls dressing up in slutty costumes :sweetjesus:

MindBomber 11-02-2013 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinosaur (Post 8352183)
Word.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeedee (Post 8352196)

I'll add.

-it's artistic; making costumes, carving pumpkins.
-it's communalism in an individualism driven society.
-it's secular.
-it's acceptable to light fireworks.
-it's not overly corporate, a la valentines day, st. patrick's day, and easter.

dinosaur 11-02-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindBomber (Post 8352201)
I'll add.

-it's not overly corporate, a la valentines day, st. patrick's day, and easter.

Yeah, I thought so too until I walked by the "Halloween Cards" section at the grocery store :/

I fear it may become more corporate....like, who the fuck sends a halloween card?!

MeowMeow 11-02-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeedee (Post 8352196)

"Halloween is the one night a year when girls can dress like a total slut and no other girls can say anything about it."

(Mean Girls)