REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:06 PM   #26
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,904 Times in 751 Posts
I'd recommend giving this a watch if anyone can spare the time. Always wanted to go to SeaWorld but my gf and I both agreed that we'll choose not to support such an organization .
Advertisement
Old 11-03-2013, 10:20 PM   #27
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
I challenge you to come to my house and meet my buddy Gandalf
You mean Grid hasn't spit roasted him over the BBQ yet?
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:27 PM   #28
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS8 View Post
Maybe I just hold too much respect for animals that it offends me to see them portrayed in such ways (FB photos) since they don't have control of the situation.
Interesting. In taking this position, you suggest non-human animals have inherent publicity rights. In perspective, most countries consider humans to have only limited legal publicity rights. It's quite the leap to suggest non-human animals have them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jing View Post
I'd recommend giving this a watch if anyone can spare the time. Always wanted to go to SeaWorld but my gf and I both agreed that we'll choose not to support such an organization .
Whale watching's a rad experience. I went during a trip Victoria. A good ethical alternative to SeaWorld?
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:08 AM   #29
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
You mean Grid hasn't spit roasted him over the BBQ yet?
hahahahahaha, no not yet...he just rolls his eyes and mutters expletives
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:38 PM   #30
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Documentaries: Presenting biased opinions, one highly edited cut scene at at time.

Not saying that's the case in this situation, but it's something to always keep in the back of your mind when watching this type of film.
I think it is so important to be mindful of the fact that ALL visual culture fed to us are framed in a way to guide our discourses. That said, we are part of a vetting culture. With the internet being so vast, with forums like this, we are able to approach things with a critical eye. I'm sure if someone was really passionate about a subject, let's use Blackfish in this case, one could just go beyond the documentary and do more research.

I think that's a better way to look at documentaries and other variants of visual culture that spark discourse. They're the catalyst. The sick feeling we get when we finish the film, that gut wrenching cloud that lingers days later...all of that amounts to an emotional push to either do something about what we've learnt, or to learn more.

Another example of excellently edited scenes would be the Kony campaign. That went viral with very little information in the actual footage shared via YouTube. So you're right, documentaries present biased opinions, perfected cut scenes and emotional evoking soundtracks. The important thing is to understand WHY these elements are in play, and how we as the audience receive it, and what we can do about it.
sloansabbith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:30 PM   #31
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Seaworld's not fairing to well post-Blackfish.

Eight out of ten musical acts have canceled.
.38 Special becomes 8th concellation for SeaWorld - Orlando Business Journal

And there's this..
Something's fishy with this SeaWorld/'Blackfish' poll - Orlando Business Journal
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:45 PM   #32
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
there's nothing we can do.. the corporation is too wealthy and powerful for anyone to do anything about it
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:49 PM   #33
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebacon View Post
there's nothing we can do.. the corporation is too wealthy and powerful for anyone to do anything about it
There wealth comes from the average Joe spending $82 on a ticket. People stop going they won't be so wealthy. Look what happened to Sealand in Victoria.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:51 AM   #34
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

I will never attend seaworld after watching blackfish.
VR6GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:03 PM   #35
RS controls my life!

just watched it on netflix after this thread.
It is a good watch and really shows how misleading the media and seaworld is.
Gary Oak is offline   Reply With Quote