REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 11-17-2013, 12:08 PM   #101
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nma View Post
Yeah, let's stand out when it's pissing rain and visibility is terrible to pull over maniacs. Doesn't sound dangerous AT ALL. Probably worth writing the tickets, because for sure those retards speeding in the first place will learn their lesson. GREAT logic!

You know cops aren't robots right? They also want to be comfortable doing their jobs, and don't need to be put in unnecessary risk.

Pulling over people like that won't make the roads any safer. If anything, they are going to rage and drive off. When you lack the common sense
to drive safely in poor conditions, I'm sure you lack in other departments too.
So you're saying that speed traps in the rain are too dangerous? So next time they get a call of someone with a gun, should they not respond, as it's "too dangerous"?
Advertisement

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:12 PM   #102
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
It's ironic, the cops and idiots in the media blame everything bad on the road on speed (which it isn't), yet in reality speed in poor weather is more dangerous than in clear, dry weather.

Cops are proving, their their acts of traps in better weather, that their true intention is not, in fact, the safety of people.
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-17-2013, 12:23 PM   #103
nma
#RVG

Quote:
Originally Posted by dared3vil0 View Post
So you're saying that speed traps in the rain are too dangerous? So next time they get a call of someone with a gun, should they not respond, as it's "too dangerous"?
How can you compare two completely different situations? Someone about to get shot, with someone who is speeding in the rain?

I'm talking about being REASONABLE here.

My argument was that setting up speed traps in fairly poor conditions may be too risky for the benefits that come out of it.

I've seen cops set up speed traps during mild conditions fairly often. My argument is mainly directed towards comments on
conditions with poor visibility.

The thing with the police force is it has to be efficient. They are under a strict budget, and unless you're willing to dish more money
out of your own pocket, they are restricted. Therefore, they need to come up with a strategy that is cost efficient, reasonably safe, and
does a fair job at enforcing the law. Under those set conditions, I think it becomes a lot easier to understand why cops would be
out writing tickets during sunny days more often than others.

I think it has less to do with them being lazy, uncaring, and awful people. More to do with an overall policing strategy which is probably
made somewhere higher up the chain.

However, I could be wrong. Maybe no one cares and cops just do whatever they want..

Last edited by nma; 11-17-2013 at 12:36 PM.
nma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:47 PM   #104
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
I'll be honest, I didnt read a lot of this thread past page 3, simply because it's all a point that has been argued 1000 times on RS and there is a divide on the issue. NBD not everyone is going to agree even after all the cards are down.

I am in favour of the distracted driving laws and believe they should be enforced equally on everyone, even at red lights.

The thing that gets me is:

How come the cops are allowed to roll around and use a fucking laptop while they are driving, and I can get a ticket for programming my factory navigation...

I mean seriously, they set up the law, and said that regardless of experience or years driving or qualifications, it is unsafe for anyone to operate any form of transportation on our road system while talking on the phone. Then they blatantly make it okay for police to use their in car computers. Sorry but I was taught that police are not above the laws they enforce...

(I used the word transportation above because believe it or not you can actually get a ticket for talking on your phone while riding a bike, or riding one of those electric scooters. Both of these items do not require a drivers license yet you can get a ticket for it...)

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:51 PM   #105
HELP ME PLS!!!

Bet you anything, if it was a long weekend, and it was piss poor weather they'd at least be patrolling the highways in their cars.

And if someone had a gun. the threat to the public would be much greater, so it'd be warranted for them to go out and diffuse the situation. Compared to sitting in the rain under poor visibility and being on the highway where the immediate risk is being hit by a car going 80-90 Km/h.

If you had a car stolen, would you risk your life (the cops) and the lives of the public to chase them?
Old 11-17-2013, 02:18 PM   #106
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:

The thing with the police force is it has to be efficient. They are under a strict budget, and unless you're willing to dish more money
out of your own pocket, they are restricted. Therefore, they need to come up with a strategy that is cost efficient, reasonably safe, and
does a fair job at enforcing the law.

i dont see how it would cost any more to have a speed trap in the rain rather than when it is sunny.
coolname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:44 PM   #107
nma
#RVG

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolname View Post
i dont see how it would cost any more to have a speed trap in the rain rather than when it is sunny.

They write less tickets because as said above, less people appear to speed.

Less tickets = higher cost of him/her standing there.
nma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 03:08 PM   #108
MoD

Thanked 1,805 Times in 227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post

To me, the cops should be out setting up speed traps when its pissing rain and visibility is terrible...

Once again, "Serve and Protect" isn't really the main goal here, and it's clear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dared3vil0 View Post
When it is raining, the roads are wet. Drivers will slow down quickly when they notice a speed trap. Drivers who get waved in have to brake even harder.

Wet roads + average drivers + hard braking = Disaster

It is too dangerous for conventional form of speed traps. (The ones where they jump out in front to wave you in.) Of course they can use other forms, but those takes more man power. As inhumane as the cops may be, they are still people. They want to go home healthy after their shift. Getting struck but a car and getting injured or dying by a driver who didn't see them, is not favourable.

Getting shot and dying is a job hazard It's accepted. But steps are taken to minimize the risk. (multiple responders and bullet proof vest etc...)
Sure getting struck by a car is job hazard as well, but not stepping out in front of cars on dangerous road conditions is a way to minimize the risk.

Last edited by k2_alpha; 11-17-2013 at 03:21 PM.
k2_alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:47 AM   #109
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
So tell me this: if the system isn't going to hit you in the pocketbook for breaking laws that are created to ensure *EVERYONE'S* safety on the road... then how are you going to penalize people? Are cops supposed to just give you a dirty look and a stern warning if you're caught doing 30k over the limit while texting? People would laugh in their faces and go right ahead doing it.

So what else would you recommend to give drivers the idea that their actions are unacceptable? Maybe instead of cash fines, we should just impound their cars for a while... make them sit on the side of the road and think about it, say an extra hour for every 10k over the limit? So if you're doing 80 in a 50 zone, you just sit there in the penalty box for three hours, and then you can be on your way? How about public shaming - no fine, but you get your picture in the paper on a dedicated "Assholes of the Road" page?

If you tell people something is unacceptable to society as a whole, and they insist on doing it anyway, you have to apply something that will get their attention and maybe hurt a little so they get the message, and will hopefully not do it again for fear of getting told again... now, public floggings would be a great plan, but I doubt that one would survive a constitutional challenge...

So unless you have a better, workable, and effective idea... a monetary fine it is.

It's only a "cash grab" if giving up the cash is unavoidable... fortunately, traffic VTs are 100% avoidable IF YOU'RE NOT A WHINY, SELF-CENTERED LITTLE BITCH.
Please refer to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
Wrong. The real point of the law was to increase road safety. To make the public perceive that people on the phone were getting into crashes and killing people.

Except that no one is going to die when someone is on the phone waiting for the light to change in a left turn lane, or sitting in bumper to bumper traffic.

This is where enforcement is going beyond the actual intent of the law.

If they really were enforcing the intent of the law, they would be patrolling the highways and pulling people over there, not people stopped at intersections.

But that takes EFFORT. Heaven forbid.

As a driver, I get just as pissed off at that oblivious fuck on the highway that's on the phone and drifting between lanes like they're drunk.

The problem is that it's THOSE people that aren't getting pulled over.
BTW, I really hope you go 50km/h in a 50 zone. Wouldn't want you to get unnecessary tickets.

Spoiler!
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:18 PM   #110
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
Quote:
They write less tickets because as said above, less people appear to speed.

Less tickets = higher cost of him/her standing there.
so you at least agree that the main point of writing tickets is to generate revenue, not to encourage driver safety?

is it more dangerous for cops to give out cell phone tickets in the rain? I've never seen them standing out on Lougheed highway watching for distracted drivers when it's raining. Do people not use their phones in the rain either?

A car can be only 2 out of the 3.
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:42 PM   #111
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I think its funny when people complain about cash-grabs and when police setup radar "traps" at the bottom of hills etc. The common radar spots are where many people are speeding. If many people are breaking the law in a certain area, shouldn't the cops be there enforcing it?

Just like a certain parking lot where a large number of cars are being stolen. Should the cops not focus on that parking lot? Lol.

Whats FAIR is that the laws in Canada are readily available to all Canadians. The laws are made known and most people with a driver's licence are aware its illegal to speed and use your phone. You know before-hand what you can and cannot do, then complain when you get caught for doing something you know is wrong? Lol.
It would be UNFAIR if the laws were all a secret and you got busted for doing things you didn't know were illegal.
ninjatune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:20 PM   #112
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Doesn't that Esso have a Tim Hortons in it?
Old 11-19-2013, 09:38 AM   #113
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatune View Post
I think its funny when people complain about cash-grabs and when police setup radar "traps" at the bottom of hills etc. The common radar spots are where many people are speeding. If many people are breaking the law in a certain area, shouldn't the cops be there enforcing it?

It would be UNFAIR if the laws were all a secret and you got busted for doing things you didn't know were illegal.
It would be unfair if the laws were unjust such as a speed limit set too low relative to the design of the highway.

Just try doing 50 northbound on Royal Oak before Deer Lake in Burnaby. Big hill, limited access, divided highway; still 50 km/h.
ancient_510 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: