REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 11-24-2013, 08:45 PM   #26
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
I wonder how this would of turned out had they of been in a modern vehicle with modern ESC and other safety systems...
Advertisement

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-24-2013, 09:05 PM   #27
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
I can spot two reasons for this accident (and others) occuring.

- We don't have any mandatory driver's training courses, therefore most drivers haven't a clue what to do when something goes wrong.

- Poor road conditions, and poorer judgement, which ties into my first point.

I would like to see mandatory vehicle control courses being run before licenses are handed out willy nilly. No amount of technology is going to save someone who does not know what to do.

I'd wager that I'm safer in my 87 VW with manual everything than the next "normal" guy with "Ultra nano technology traction control agility assist", and it all comes down to what you know. Luckily my driver's training was free in the form of a dad that knows how to drive.
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:23 PM   #28
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Looks like a corner were a driver could be coming into way too fast and basically lose control especially if you're driving a SUV or Van. And it looks a stretch of road were a a concrete barrier would prevent accidents like this one.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-24-2013, 09:28 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Disick View Post
Looks like a corner were a driver could be coming into way too fast and basically lose control especially if you're driving a SUV or Van. And it looks a stretch of road were a a concrete barrier would prevent accidents like this one.
I would really like to know if they hit ice, or just lost control. If they hit ice, SUV/Van/750i/UGR Gallardo etc, they were hitting that truck.

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
This post thanked by:
Old 11-24-2013, 09:29 PM   #30
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,020 Times in 7,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodamaster View Post
I'd wager that I'm safer in my 87 VW with manual everything than the next "normal" guy with "Ultra nano technology traction control agility assist", and it all comes down to what you know. Luckily my driver's training was free in the form of a dad that knows how to drive.
Yeah..... the problem though is everyone thinks that. Ask someone if they are a good driver that knows their limits and see how many say no. As I said though, all it takes is one mistake. I've fucked up before and popped my car in a ditch in my lifetime, all it takes is some bad luck and its on a different section of road on an opposite bend and I'm in oncoming traffic in front of a truck coming at me at 100km/h. It's a simple fact of shit happens, and it did.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:31 PM   #31

I remember reading a study where 90+% of people said they were better drivers than everyone else. Over confidence can be a VERY dangerous thing.

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
This post thanked by:
Old 11-24-2013, 10:16 PM   #32
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Yeah..... the problem though is everyone thinks that. Ask someone if they are a good driver that knows their limits and see how many say no. As I said though, all it takes is one mistake. I've fucked up before and popped my car in a ditch in my lifetime, all it takes is some bad luck and its on a different section of road on an opposite bend and I'm in oncoming traffic in front of a truck coming at me at 100km/h. It's a simple fact of shit happens, and it did.
And let's not forget, while 100km/h may give you "X" seconds to react to a STATIONARY obstacle appearing in front of you... if the obstacle is oncoming at another 100km/h, you now have "X/2" seconds to react (assuming the other driver does nothing).

In a sharp, blind corner like we're talking about here, even if you WERE able to regain control your vehicle, there's a good chance you'd barely have time to even register the oncoming truck, nevermind react to it. I don't care how much training your have or how quickly you can respond to a situation, there's still a limitation on how fast the human sensory system can receive and process the event before that response even starts.

People just don't realize how fast something can happen. First time I ever "crashed" a car was my little GLC, on a snowy dirt road back home... came around a tight turn that I'd done a hundred times before, but this time my right front wheel managed to catch the snowbank in the ditch... and no amount of training would have helped from there: the snow literally sucked the wheel in, the back end came around, the left-rear wheel caught a rock in the road, and in less than two seconds beginning-to-end, the car was on its roof, my brother and I hanging by our seatbelts. We were probably doing 20km/h MAX when it happened, so no real harm done (dented roof, busted windshield), but once the snowbank had that wheel, our fate was set - I felt the wheel pull out of my hand, I felt the car go sideways, and then I felt the seatbelt digging into me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"

Last edited by Soundy; 11-24-2013 at 10:22 PM.
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-24-2013, 10:19 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
And let's not forget, while 100km/h may give you "X" seconds to react to a STATIONARY obstacle appearing in front of you... if the obstacle is oncoming at another 100km/h, you now have "X/2" seconds to react (assuming the other driver does nothing).
What does that have to do with anything? and what are you implying by it...?

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-24-2013, 10:24 PM   #34

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dared3vil0 View Post
What does that have to do with anything? and what are you implying by it...?
If that was unclear to you, then I'm sorry, you won't get it no matter how carefully I explain it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-24-2013, 10:28 PM   #35
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
Quote:
I wonder how this would of turned out had they of been in a modern vehicle with modern ESC and other safety systems...
I looked at the pics, its a '99-'04 Grand cherokee -- I have the same truck -- and yeah, it has absolutely nothing in terms of traction control

It's a RWD-bias AWD system, but when its poorly maintained the differentials can lock up and you can end up with a pretty dangerous SUV to drive -- RWD only, locked rear differential, and incredibly tail happy as a result under acceleration -- couple that with bad tires and its a SUV drift-machine (which is .. fun sometimes .. but a terrible combo if you're not expecting it).
At the same time, the front end is much heavier than than the rear, so under braking it understeers terribly.

I've put tons of miles on my jeep, roadtrips to whistler and back are almost routine, a few times to calgary and back in the middle of winter -- it comes down to knowing how to drive a car for the conditions. If you go into a corner too fast nothing will save you
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-24-2013, 10:28 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
If that was unclear to you, then I'm sorry, you won't get it no matter how carefully I explain it.
I won't get what exactly? The fact that you make yet another bizarre statement, then cut people down because you have no logical explanation for them? Wow, you sure seemed normal in person... E-warrior?

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-24-2013, 10:30 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
I looked at the pics, its a '99-'04 Grand cherokee -- I have the same truck -- and yeah, it has absolutely nothing in terms of traction control

It's a RWD-bias AWD system, but when its poorly maintained the differentials can lock up and you can end up with a pretty dangerous SUV to drive -- RWD only, locked rear differential, and incredibly tail happy as a result under acceleration -- couple that with bad tires and its a SUV drift-machine (which is .. fun sometimes .. but a terrible combo if you're not expecting it).
At the same time, the front end is much heavier than than the rear, so under braking it understeers terribly.

I've put tons of miles on my jeep, roadtrips to whistler and back are almost routine, a few times to calgary and back in the middle of winter -- it comes down to knowing how to drive a car for the conditions. If you go into a corner too fast nothing will save you
Damn. Just a bad situation as a whole.

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
Old 11-24-2013, 10:34 PM   #38
The Brown Reason

Quote:
Damn. Just a bad situation as a whole.
Yeah, the worst part being that the average driver won't pay any attention to it or even realize how dangerous it is until its too late
This post thanked by:
Old 11-24-2013, 10:36 PM   #39

Exactly. Most drivers assume AWD/4WD means they are gods in inclement weather, we REALLY need a better driver education program. Something modelled after the German/Swiss system sounds good to me...

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
Old 11-24-2013, 10:52 PM   #40
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
I actually did a series of defensive driving courses. Mine were done at Valley driving school, it was mandatory for the company I was working for before being able to drive their trucks off-site. They paid for the training and I thought it was a great idea so I took good advantage of it, and man am I glad I did.

I did regular car training which had portions of theory as well as a lot of seat time with one of their trainers. I also took their Unrestricted Class 4 program, which was also really good (the person who administered my driving test for my class 4 said I was very well equiped).

This all brings me to how I can testify that sometimes things just happen too quickly to allow even the most considerably skilled person to save themselves from an accident. Not even two months after I had finished these course, I ended up understeering my car into a sign post around a corner. Had I not had the training I think I would have been a lot worse off, as where I had crashed was quite a busy area and I did manage to atleast save myself from hitting someone else, but there was no way anything I could have done (after entering the intersection and realizing what was happening) would have stopped the accident entirely.

PS. No offense Yodamaster, but there are a lot of people who claim they got trained by the best driver they know, AKA their parents, and many of them are terrible. Not saying this is the case with you, but it happens and often.

I would much rather see mandatory training from a certified instructor before people are licensed to drive our roads. And none of the BS C-Lais and random CL ad posting mother fuckers who just give people a car to drive a teach them how to pass the test. I mean I want real instructors who are going to show people how to handle the fucking machine they are piloting. This means bringing them to a controlled environment and taking the car past its limits to see how it reacts, and training people on how to properly correct these reactions.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread

Last edited by meme405; 11-24-2013 at 10:59 PM.
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-24-2013, 11:49 PM   #41

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
i agree

it's one thing to drive defensively and prevent shit from happening...but when shit's about to hit the fan and you only have a split second to make that life-or-death decision as a reflex reaction...most drivers will probably just freeze in shock...myself included.

there should be some cost-effective training in place that all drivers need to update every time you renew your license...and no autocross doesn't help with reflex decisions.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-25-2013, 12:15 AM   #42
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts

It's not the kind of car that driving skills will make up for the inherent crappiness of the chassis. ESC is not do all end all.

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-25-2013, 12:20 AM   #43
The Brown Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
Jeep Grand Cherokee moose test -- the full story - YouTube

It's not the kind of car that driving skills will make up for the inherent crappiness of the chassis. ESC is not do all end all.
Thanks for the irrelevant clip

we're talking about a vehicle that is 2 generations older and 2 complete redesigns different
This post thanked by:
Old 11-25-2013, 07:30 AM   #44
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
some updates:

Two UBC students killed in crash while driving to Whistler | The Ubyssey, UBC's official student newspaper

Quote:
Two UBC students were killed and two others injured in a car accident while driving to Whistler Saturday morning.

The four women, between the ages of 19 and 20, were driving north on the Sea to Sky Highway in a Jeep Cherokee when their vehicle crossed the median and collided head-on with a Chevy pickup truck, RCMP said. The driver lost control of the vehicle going around a bend in the road.

“This is a tragedy beyond words.”

— Tim Shields, Lower Mainland RCMP inspector
“This is a tragedy beyond words,” Tim Shields, an inspector with Lower Mainland RCMP, told Global News.

The crash occurred around 7:35 a.m. about five kilometres north of Lions Bay. While there were reports of ice on the roads in the area, Shields told the Associated Press the RCMP were not sure if that was the cause of the crash.

The two women who survived the crash were taken to Vancouver General Hospital and one is in serious condition, police said. The driver of the pickup was treated at the scene for minor injuries.

All four women were second-year students at UBC, according to multiple sources who knew the women. The two killed in the crash were from California and Ontario, a source told The Ubyssey.

Earlier in the day, RCMP said they were still investigating and did not know the identities of the victims, but confirmed two of the women were American and two were Canadian. Their car had Washington state license plates.

When contacted late Saturday night, Squamish RCMP declined to comment on the crash. An RCMP spokesman unrelated to the investigation said information about the victims would not be released until the end of the investigation, which would likely take several days.

Two students injured in Sea to Sky collision expected to recover | The Ubyssey, UBC's official student newspaper

Quote:
The two UBC students injured in a car accident while driving to Whistler yesterday are still hospitalized but expected to recover, according to friends of the women. The collision also killed two UBC students.

The four women, between the ages of 19 and 20, were driving north on the Sea to Sky Highway in a Jeep Cherokee when their vehicle crossed the median and collided head-on with a Chevy pickup truck, RCMP said. The driver of the Jeep lost control of the vehicle while going around a bend in the road. The driver of the pickup was treated at the scene for minor injuries.

The woman in serious condition is at Vancouver General Hospital. Two friends of the woman said they were told she is expected to survive.

The woman with less severe injuries is recovering at Lions Gate Hospital in North Vancouver, a friend told The Ubyssey. The second-year Arts student, 19, is accompanied by her family there, friends said. Her recovery is expected to take at least weeks and possibly months.

The crash occurred around 7:35 a.m. about five kilometres north of Lions Bay. While there were reports of ice on the roads in the area, RCMP inspector Tim Shields told the Associated Press the RCMP were not sure if that was the cause of the crash.

All four women were second-year students at UBC, according to multiple sources who knew the women. The two killed in the crash were from California and Ontario, a source told The Ubyssey.

UBC spokesperson Lucie McNeill said the university was unaware if the women involved were students at the university and said confidentiality laws would preclude UBC from disclosing that information without the families’ consent. However, she said the university would support student efforts to organize a memorial for those who died if they did, in fact, attend UBC.

“I have to say it’s a terrible tragedy,” McNeill said. She said that the university does not have specific procedures in place to handle the death of current students because it is a relatively rare occurrence.

On Saturday, RCMP said they were still investigating and did not know the identities of the victims, but confirmed two of the women were American and two were Canadian.

When contacted late Saturday night, Squamish RCMP declined to comment on the crash. An RCMP spokesman unrelated to the investigation said more information about the crash would not be available until the conclusion of the investigation, which would likely take several days.
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds

Last edited by thumper; 11-25-2013 at 07:35 AM.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:37 AM   #45
Witness protection

i don't claim to know anything about accident investigations, but the hood is intact on the cherokee which makes me think there was no frontal collision, but the driver's side rear is really messed up... how is this a head-on collision?
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
This post thanked by:
Old 11-25-2013, 07:38 AM   #46
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
Thanks for the irrelevant clip

we're talking about a vehicle that is 2 generations older and 2 complete redesigns different
Do you think 2 generations back there was BETTER body control than the current generation?
Posted via RS Mobile
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-25-2013, 08:00 AM   #47
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
I wonder how this would of turned out had they obeyed the speed limit...
Old 11-25-2013, 09:12 AM   #48
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Wow that grand cherokee got fucked up from the picture.
Posted via RS Mobile
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:18 AM   #49
RS controls my life!

As someone who was speeding and hit the guardrails on a rainy day on the s2s i seriously disagree with raising the speed limit. It's such a windy narrow road. 80km makes the most sense, it's not a straight stretch of highway like marine drive(which only has a relatively short and misunderstood section of 80km speed limit.) More police speed traps would make sense. Last 2 times i went to whistler i didn't see a single cop on the s2s.

And another thing, why is there no bi-yearly safety inspections for older cars in this province? Back in alberta if you sold your car it had to pass a safety inspection in order to get it registered. That takes so many shitboxes off the road.
Everymans is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-25-2013, 09:23 AM   #50
Witness protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlkko View Post
Wow that grand cherokee got fucked up from the picture.
Posted via RS Mobile
looking at the image in more detail you can see they used 2x4's to prop up the rear axle on the left side because the wheel is completely gone.

the blankets covering the deceased in the driver and rear passenger on the left side