REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 11-25-2013, 09:27 AM   #51
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everymans View Post
As someone who was speeding and hit the guardrails on a rainy day on the s2s i seriously disagree with raising the speed limit. It's such a windy narrow road. 80km makes the most sense, it's not a straight stretch of highway like marine drive(which only has a relatively short and misunderstood section of 80km speed limit.) More police speed traps would make sense. Last 2 times i went to whistler i didn't see a single cop on the s2s.

And another thing, why is there no bi-yearly safety inspections for older cars in this province? Back in alberta if you sold your car it had to pass a safety inspection in order to get it registered. That takes so many shitboxes off the road.
there hasn't been BC provincial inspections for passenger vehicles since the late 70's/early 80's i think? i can't remember the reason why for the cancellation of the program, but i would suspect it would be because of money and politics. the only time you would get a gov't inspection here is if you bought a vehicle outside of BC. and in this case the jeep had a washington state registration so it wouldn't have made a difference here, not knowing what condition it was in pre-crash.
Advertisement
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:02 AM   #52
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
i don't claim to know anything about accident investigations, but the hood is intact on the cherokee which makes me think there was no frontal collision, but the driver's side rear is really messed up... how is this a head-on collision?
Looks to me like the jeep drifted into the oncoming lane sideways, and clipped the truck. The media will call it a head on collision to add effect, I guess technically they are not wrong as two vehicles travelling the opposite direction collided, but it is a little misleading...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlenko View Post
I wonder how this would of turned out had they obeyed the speed limit...
There is no proof yet that they were speeding, but you are right, I bet they were.

Quote:
As someone who was speeding and hit the guardrails on a rainy day on the s2s i seriously disagree with raising the speed limit. It's such a windy narrow road. 80km makes the most sense, it's not a straight stretch of highway like marine drive(which only has a relatively short and misunderstood section of 80km speed limit.) More police speed traps would make sense. Last 2 times i went to whistler i didn't see a single cop on the s2s.

You are exactly the idiot who the rest of us competent drivers have to cater to because you do not know how to control your speed.

Drive the S2S on a dry summer day and you will NEVER maintain an 80km/h speed. This is especially more evident by the fact that you didn't even abide by it on a rainy day.

ONE MORE TIME:

SPEED LIMITS ARE SET FOR OPTIMAL CONDITIONS, WHEN IT IS DRY & WARM. IF YOU TRY TO MAINTAIN THAT SPEED LIMIT IN THE RAIN OR THE SNOW IT'S YOUR OWN PROBLEM WHEN YOU INEVITABLY CRASH.

And the vast majority of the S2S is not narrow nor is it all that twisty. The lanes on the S2S are actually designed to be 2.5' wider than any standard section of highway in BC.

While the S2S is not a straight stretch of road, it is certainly not located in an urbanized area like Marin Dr. in burnaby, nor does it have the cross walks, and red lights that marine does.

The Canyon portion of the 97C an the 97 which connects Merritt north up to cache creek and onwards up past williams lake, has a speed limit of 110km/h. Major sections of this road are FAR more twisty and treacherous than that of the S2S, and they face far more inclement weather than the S2S year round.

I can't believe people thanked your post, the only good portion of your entire post is that we need inspections of vehicles. The rest of it is complete farce.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:32 PM   #53
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

RIP to Olivia Sonja Robertson and Valentine Leborgne.

I'm curious about the WA state registration. Odd that a vehicle registered in WA, being driven by Robertson (who was from Collingwood, Ontario). Leborgne was from Los Altos, California. The other two passengers are allegedly from BC. I wonder who's vehicle this is?
Old 11-25-2013, 11:19 PM   #54
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
^ Weird.

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:43 AM   #55

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
And people say I'M dumb for buying a 1 ton. Have fun bouncing off me bitches.

As far as the general direction the thread is going, YES the speed should be raised on the S2S. Will it happen? Probably not unfortunately. That 60km/h section through Lions Bay is ridiculous and frustrating.

Furthermore, does anybody loathe it as much as me when everyone on the highway speeds up in the passing lanes? If you're going to go 20km/h faster in the passing lane then keep your speed going through the corners that follow.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:13 AM   #56
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post

As far as the general direction the thread is going, YES the speed should be raised on the S2S. Will it happen? Probably not unfortunately. That 60km/h section through Lions Bay is ridiculous and frustrating.

Furthermore, does anybody loathe it as much as me when everyone on the highway speeds up in the passing lanes? If you're going to go 20km/h faster in the passing lane then keep your speed going through the corners that follow.
^ something I can agree on here. I drive the S2S everyday and usually find forum internet drivers' opinions of the S2S comical.
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:19 AM   #57
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,623 Times in 577 Posts
Quote:

isnt a 2500 a 3/4 ton?
T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-26-2013, 09:33 AM   #58
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post

You are exactly the idiot who the rest of us competent drivers have to cater to because you do not know how to control your speed.

Drive the S2S on a dry summer day and you will NEVER maintain an 80km/h speed. This is especially more evident by the fact that you didn't even abide by it on a rainy day.

ONE MORE TIME:

SPEED LIMITS ARE SET FOR OPTIMAL CONDITIONS, WHEN IT IS DRY & WARM. IF YOU TRY TO MAINTAIN THAT SPEED LIMIT IN THE RAIN OR THE SNOW IT'S YOUR OWN PROBLEM WHEN YOU INEVITABLY CRASH.

And the vast majority of the S2S is not narrow nor is it all that twisty. The lanes on the S2S are actually designed to be 2.5' wider than any standard section of highway in BC.

While the S2S is not a straight stretch of road, it is certainly not located in an urbanized area like Marin Dr. in burnaby, nor does it have the cross walks, and red lights that marine does.

The Canyon portion of the 97C an the 97 which connects Merritt north up to cache creek and onwards up past williams lake, has a speed limit of 110km/h. Major sections of this road are FAR more twisty and treacherous than that of the S2S, and they face far more inclement weather than the S2S year round.

I can't believe people thanked your post, the only good portion of your entire post is that we need inspections of vehicles. The rest of it is complete farce.
but if they raised it people would think 80km on a rainy day is safe since the max is 100km. I was going 90 in a straight stretch when I hydroplaned when i was braking for a corner and slid into the guardrail. I've been that asshole doing 80km along the undivided section during terrible weather and people were riding my ass hardcore. Why would it work better if the speed limit were raised if this is the result? I don't know the current accident/death toll caused by speed on this road, but I can imagine it's high enough to meritt the speed limit.
Everymans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:47 AM   #59

Quote:
but if they raised it people would think 80km on a rainy day is safe since the max is 100km. I was going 90 in a straight stretch when I hydroplaned when i was braking for a corner and slid into the guardrail. I've been that asshole doing 80km along the undivided section during terrible weather and people were riding my ass hardcore. Why would it work better if the speed limit were raised if this is the result? I don't know the current accident/death toll caused by speed on this road, but I can imagine it's high enough to meritt the speed limit.
LOL WUT!? Is that how you judge safe speed in adverse weather conditions?

"Well the maximum was 100km/h so I thought 80 was appropriate, even though there was torrential downpour and I couldn't see anything out my window."

What part of this are you not understanding? Ignore the rain and the adverse conditions and all that bullshit.

On a nice summer day, what do you believe to be an appropriate speed limit for the S2S?

Spoiler!

The Coquihalla is a highway that has a shockingly higher accident and mortality rate then the S2S, in fact it is so terrifying that there was a fucking TV show about it ("Highway to Hell" anyone?). Yet the speed limit remains as 110km/h. Why do you think that is?

Because reducing the speed limit will do absolutely nothing to stoo the overconfident idiots who get themselves into trouble.

If all of the above, and all the other posters who agreed the limit needs to be raised, does not convince you. Here you go:

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/publications...iew_Report.pdf

This was the study done by one of the worlds most foremost traffic authorities, a professional engineer, as well as another professional engineer and an engineer in training. Although the S2S is not in this study as the upgrades were made to the highway after this study had been completed, you will clearly see the direction the study recommended the ministry of transportation take on the matter of speed limits.

That brings me to my final point, and coincidentally also my original point:

Were we all just crazy maniacs for going 80km/h on the S2S before the Olympic upgrades?

I have bolded the two questions I want you to answer, as you missed them the last time I answered your post.

EDIT:
Spoiler!

Last edited by meme405; 11-26-2013 at 11:55 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-26-2013, 04:46 PM   #60
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Drive relevant to the weather conditions then. Like meme said, the Coquihalla has a far higher death and accident rate than the Sea to Sky and they're actually thinking of increasing the speed limit. Obviously the current 110km/h limit is for summer driving, not when there's a foot of fresh powder around Larson Hill or patches of black ice on the Summit, but people learn to lower their speeds to adapt to the weather. Sure, some people will still go barrelling down the road in snow while exceeding the speed limit, but you can't adapt everything to the lowest common denominator. That's just stupid and impedes the general flow of traffic.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-26-2013, 04:54 PM   #61
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,325 Times in 5,641 Posts
People who never drive the coquihalla don't realize how dangerous a drive it is, regardless of season

Those same people are probably the ones that crash on sea to sky, like lomac said you drive according to conditions not the posted limit. If that's how you gauge your speed please stay away from me on the road lol
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-26-2013, 05:26 PM   #62

Quote:

It's ridiculous, people get into a passing lane and start tearing away from you, then as soon as it ends, time for 20 under again.

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
Old 11-26-2013, 05:55 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by dared3vil0 View Post
It's ridiculous, people get into a passing lane and start tearing away from you, then as soon as it ends, time for 20 under again.
I used to see this every morning & evening when I was travelling to our work site north of williams lake. As soon as the passing lane opens people speed up, when it closes they slow right down. It is the single most frustrating thing in the world. Especially considering I drove that 110km stretch atleast twice a day for 6 months. I knew that road like the back of my hand and people did such stupid things...

The thing is I know they are not doing it on purpose, they do it as a mental reaction, most of the time passing lanes appear when the road becomes wider straighter and flatter. Therefore these people feel more comfortable going a little faster, then as the passing lane closes the road curves a bit more or pitches and they slow down. Not necessarily their fault but certainly frustrating if you are driving a road you know and you are aware there is little reason to slow down after the passing lane.

This post thanked by:
Old 11-26-2013, 08:05 PM   #64
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
Quote:

The Coquihalla is a highway that has a shockingly higher accident and mortality rate then the S2S, in fact it is so terrifying that there was a fucking TV show about it ("Highway to Hell" anyone?).
I'd like to see some facts on this - it doesn't sound right. Prior to the upgrades, the S2S had one of the highest fatality rates per user in Canada. One of the worse stretches of fatalities in Canada is the #1 from Sicamouse to Golden.
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:05 PM   #65

Is it actually? I've driven/passangered that stretch countless times and the windy, you're dead if go you off the road stretch AFTER Golden was the worst.

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
Old 11-26-2013, 09:22 PM   #66
Head Moderator

Coming up the Snow Shed to the Smasher in a super-b. FWD to about 3 minutes or so in and you can see just how shitty it gets at times.

And just for fun, a part of Hwy 12:

This post thanked by:
Old 11-26-2013, 09:30 PM   #67
Head Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedbra View Post
I'd like to see some facts on this - it doesn't sound right. Prior to the upgrades, the S2S had one of the highest fatality rates per user in Canada. One of the worse stretches of fatalities in Canada is the #1 from Sicamouse to Golden.
Not sure about mortality rate on the two highways but the S2S had an average of 215 accidents per year around the year 2000, whereas the Coq had an average of 360 accidents. Those were the newest figures I could find comparing the two. The S2S now has an average of 75 crashes per year, though I can imagine that the Coq is likely around the same number it was a decade ago.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-26-2013, 10:31 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Not sure about mortality rate on the two highways but the S2S had an average of 215 accidents per year around the year 2000, whereas the Coq had an average of 360 accidents. Those were the newest figures I could find comparing the two. The S2S now has an average of 75 crashes per year, though I can imagine that the Coq is likely around the same number it was a decade ago.
Thanks Lomac. Saved me some trouble.

@Zedbra, there was a map and huge table which was released under the freedom of information act, I cannot seem to find it for some reason now.

But basically, historically there was always less accidents on the S2S, but the fatality figures of the two highways were fairly similar. This indicates that the accidents that happened on the S2S were of a more serious nature. However after the renovations for the Olympics the highways are not even comparable in terms of figures anymore. The Coq has massively more accidents year over year and fatality figures are also higher.

Ill see if I can dig up the table again. It is somewhere on the interwebz.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:51 PM   #69
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:

20130319_172652.mp4 - YouTube

Fak, it's been about 25 years since I drove that route... looks like it hasn't changed AT ALL.

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks Lomac. Saved me some trouble.

@Zedbra, there was a map and huge table which was released under the freedom of information act, I cannot seem to find it for some reason now.

But basically, historically there was always less accidents on the S2S, but the fatality figures of the two highways were fairly similar. This indicates that the accidents that happened on the S2S were of a more serious nature. However after the renovations for the Olympics the highways are not even comparable in terms of figures anymore. The Coq has massively more accidents year over year and fatality figures are also higher.

Ill see if I can dig up the table again. It is somewhere on the interwebz.
Would be interesting to see the comparison as a percentage of actual traffic on the routes, rather than just the straight numbers. I suspect the Coq sees a lot more traffic on the whole, so one would expect a higher number of crashes.

The big difference before the S2S upgrades was, of course, the undivided nature of almost the entire length of the route, so you got a lot of head-ons. Now a good portion of it has a barricade down the middle to prevent that. There also used to be a lot fewer barriers along the sides to keep people going into rock faces or over cliffs... so as you say, the crashes that DID happen, often had far worse results.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:40 PM   #70
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,165 Times in 7,156 Posts
Quote:

Jesus fuck. I drove that road back in probably 08/09 in the summer. Scary as fuck but my god is it ever gorgeous out there. Some really cool pullout spots.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:50 AM   #71
I don't get it

R.I.P
Beilei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 04:34 PM   #72
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,601 Times in 543 Posts
Quote:

it's okay in a small car
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:30 PM   #73
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
Quote:
If you're going to go 20km/h faster in the passing lane then keep your speed going through the corners that follow.
assuming people are driving at speed limit on the right ...you want those in the passing lane to hold a constant 100kph in and out each corner?
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:25 AM   #74
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Would be interesting to see the comparison as a percentage of actual traffic on the routes, rather than just the straight numbers. I suspect the Coq sees a lot more traffic on the whole, so one would expect a higher number of crashes.
http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/trafficdata/...01-01-2012.pdf

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/trafficdata/...01-01-2012.pdf

Looks like the Coq has a lot more traffic during the summer. The S2S has heavy traffic during weekends in the winter - but that's understandable. The Coq is also closed a lot more in the winter due to conditions.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:02 AM   #75

The coquihalla sucks ass to drive in winter storms. Snow driving is fun as fuck, except when it's the coq...

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT