REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:12 AM   #26
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,242 Times in 861 Posts
on st johns they go 70

Funny thing is same cop was behind me a few weeks later and I slowed down to 50 and he kept trying to pass me in the right lane where cars are always parked.

When he finally got in front of me I was giving him the must "wtf" look possible.

EDIT: I'll try to position the situation better.

St Johns at that time of night wasn't empty. It was light to light light traffic and I was simply following the car infront of me which the fastest I got was 55 which he nailed me at.
Advertisement
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:42 AM   #27
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I was just curious about Police Officer's opinions on the matter.. this thread is getting out of hand. But it is nice to see some actual discussion in this forum
Old 12-03-2013, 09:48 AM   #28
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlenko View Post
I was just curious about Police Officer's opinions on the matter.. this thread is getting out of hand. But it is nice to see some actual discussion in this forum
I don't want my opinions to be perceived as "generalizations"
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:01 AM   #29
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Hahahah, this is nowhere near "out of hand" by Revscene standards
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:13 AM   #30
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,181 Times in 237 Posts
within 5-10km/hr, isn't that too picky? there is a margin of error right? you can't detect someone's speed that accurately...

when a cop is behind, my eyes are on the speedometer, I ain't going over 50
is350 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-03-2013, 10:44 AM   #31
Need my Daily Fix of RS

pomo cops are ruthless on st johns... going 50-55 max in the middle of the night with no traffic im literally the only car on the road and there was a cop coming in the oncoming lane, he makes a u-turn down the street after i passed him and then rips it to catch up and then pulls me... asked him why and he said he saw me swerving and checked if i was drinking... its a straight road and i was sober as shit

i knew someone that used to work for the community speed watch and they were told 11kmh over is the max..?
buddha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:05 PM   #32
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
So I guess the RCMP, VicPD, VPD, APD, NWPD, NVPD, Port Moody PD, Delta PD are all the same right? If one department has a quota, all Police departments in BC, and Canada do as well? Just like if one cop in Canada is corrupt, all cops in Canada/US/ the entire world, are corrupt.
IRSU largely is RCMP. It's ludicrous to believe that every department in the province is in it on their own and FV IRSU is the only force out there with quotas. If FV IRSU has found an effective way of operating, I can nearly guarantee that other forces have drawn the same conclusions either on their own or through information sharing (through reports such at this one).

If our police aren't sharing information on harm reduction interdepartmentally, there is a fundamental flaw in public safety policy in BC. (This actually reminds me a little bit of the Missing Women's Inquiry revisiting the ideas around regional police forces.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
So if it's all about hitting the numbers, why are such obvious spots like my examples not enforced regularly? Make your quota in a week... coast for the rest of the month. If you tell me YOU wouldn't do that, you're full of shit.
Quote:
When asked how the FV IRSU targeted enforcement activities - which days, what time, what sites and what types of enforcement they carried out – respondents said a team meeting was held at the beginning of each shift to discuss enforcement. They needed to issue a minimum of 10 violation tickets per day...
Please explain how that plan works again?

Last edited by ancient_510; 12-03-2013 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Added some bolding and underlines.
ancient_510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:47 PM   #33
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,151 Times in 2,395 Posts
Quote:
Because within five minutes of my place, there are at least two places where the cops could EASILY clean up, meet and exceed all their quotas within a week, and rake in bundles of cash, and then kick back at Timmies for the rest of the month... and yet I never ever see them in these places.
Au contraire, I've experienced just the opposite. There's a residential street I use on my morning commute that has a bullshit no-right-turn on weekday mornings.

As if on a schedule, towards the end of every month, they often camp there and snag people illegally turning right onto the street. It literally is like setting a fishing net across a river and catching spawns of salmon swimming right into the net.

At first I didn't believe it was a quota thing either, but after a few months I noticed it was always towards the end of the month.

Also the idea of hitting quota at the beginning of the month vs. at the end is kind of like telling a college student to finish their term paper a month early so they don't have to panic at the end of the month to write it.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-03-2013, 04:49 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
At first I didn't believe it was a quota thing either, but after a few months I noticed it was always towards the end of the month.
But if you believe Ancient above, the quotas are daily...
Quote:
Old 12-03-2013, 08:57 PM   #35
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
OK guys....it's time to admit in public that traffic cops have quota. Every time I met mine I got air miles and I went to Honolulu for 10 days all expense paid. The last thing I got was that big screen TV with a surround sound system that made the slammed ricers green with envy. Actually, my boss told me that I had no quota..I could write as many as I wanted.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-03-2013, 10:40 PM   #36
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
But if you believe Ancient above, the quotas are daily...
don't believe me, believe the Ministry of Truth

the document I linked to previously is published by the Province of BC

Y u no believe facts that I back up with documentation...

ancient_510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:46 AM   #37
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient_510 View Post
IRSU largely is RCMP. It's ludicrous to believe that every department in the province is in it on their own and FV IRSU is the only force out there with quotas. If FV IRSU has found an effective way of operating, I can nearly guarantee that other forces have drawn the same conclusions either on their own or through information sharing (through reports such at this one).

If our police aren't sharing information on harm reduction interdepartmentally, there is a fundamental flaw in public safety policy in BC. (This actually reminds me a little bit of the Missing Women's Inquiry revisiting the ideas around regional police forces.)

Please explain how that plan works again?
Every department has their own mandate depending on what their strategic priorities. Issues within respective communities is what each Department focuses on. At the end of the day, there is A LOT of discretion. The majority of Police work is discretion and case by case. Are traffic units out there to enforce traffic offences/safety? yes. So unfortunately, if you commit even a minor offence, and a traffic cop sees you, it is their JOB to stop you and at the very least give you a verbal warning.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-06-2013, 10:27 PM   #38
I subscribe to Revscene

I was listening to the traffic squad on the scanner one day. They were setting up a speed trap when one of the officers asked "what should I call them at".

One officer responded "30 over"
Another responded "15 over"

They finally settled on 20 over.

I've listened in on other operations where they've been pulling drivers over for 20kph over in the 80 zone.

And you can bet the officers like "fishing holes". I was listening as they were discussing where to set up some enforcement. One officer suggested a "no right turn" point. When the other officer replied "no, that's too much of a fishing hole", the first officer replied with something along the lines of "that's the point".

Bottom line? Do the speed limit and hold up the cars that aren't getting stopped for doing 20 over and wonder why you're playing the part of rolling roadblock.

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:36 PM   #39
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

correct me if I am wrong, traffic officers always ask for drivers license at a roadblock for the potential of giving another ticket?
Posted via RS Mobile
vash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:13 PM   #40
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vash13 View Post
correct me if I am wrong, traffic officers always ask for drivers license at a roadblock for the potential of giving another ticket?
Posted via RS Mobile
More like, ALL officers ask for a driver's licence to confirm ID.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:40 AM   #41
RS Peace Officer

Yeh...why would they ever want to see something that had your complete name, date of birth, signature and picture on it, and a magnetic strip on the back that allowed them to access your driving/criminal etc record instantly, when they were about to start an "investigation/court process that required identifying their subject?
Old 12-07-2013, 07:33 AM   #42

Quote:
correct me if I am wrong,
You're wrong.
Quote:
Old 12-07-2013, 10:30 PM   #43
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
Yeh...why would they ever want to see something that had your complete name, date of birth, signature and picture on it, and a magnetic strip on the back that allowed them to access your driving/criminal etc record instantly, when they were about to start an "investigation/court process that required identifying their subject?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
More like, ALL officers ask for a driver's licence to confirm ID.

I've been through a bunch of roadblocks and never been asked to see my dl...

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:18 PM   #44
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

frustrating cause they always ask me for my flight every single time through a road block.
Posted via RS Mobile
vash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:01 AM   #45
RS Peace Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dared3vil0 View Post
I've been through a bunch of roadblocks and never been asked to see my dl...
If they were doing more than just taking a quick look inside/check to see any signs of impairment, they would. Very common to do that and if there is anything that raises our concerns/questions/suspicions then we do ask for your DL. If there are none and there is a line up of traffic then we send you on your way....or would you rather wait until we check out every single driver in the line? I guess you didn't show any suspicious indicators, or the line of traffic was backed up? Either way, you hit the jackpot. Buy a lottery ticket on the way home.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-08-2013, 06:03 AM   #46
RS Peace Officer

Quote:
frustrating cause they always ask me for my flight every single time through a road block.
Posted via RS Mobile

Your "flight"? Are you flying an aeroplane? or driving inside the YVR terminal?
This post thanked by:
Old 12-08-2013, 08:35 AM   #47

Quote:
If they were doing more than just taking a quick look inside/check to see any signs of impairment, they would. Very common to do that and if there is anything that raises our concerns/questions/suspicions then we do ask for your DL. If there are none and there is a line up of traffic then we send you on your way....or would you rather wait until we check out every single driver in the line? I guess you didn't show any suspicious indicators, or the line of traffic was backed up? Either way, you hit the jackpot. Buy a lottery ticket on the way home.
My guess is they don't ask me because i usually go through roadblocks on my way home from work, and they ask;
"how many drinks have you had tonight?"
"None, just on my way home from work"
"Where do you work?"
"**Insert name of where i work here**"
"Drive safe"

Almost how it goes without fail.

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
Old 12-08-2013, 09:01 AM   #48
RS Peace Officer

Not only are those correct answers but it is also the correct attitude. If you really would like to be harassed I could probably make a phone call?
This post thanked by:
Old 12-08-2013, 10:48 AM   #49
RS Veteran

Personally, I always ask for a DL even if traffic is backed up. Too many prohibited unlicensed drivers in Richmond.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:02 AM   #50

Quote:
Not only are those correct answers but it is also the correct attitude. If you really would like to be harassed I could probably make a phone call?
No no, i like the way it works now haha.

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT