REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 12-06-2013, 07:43 AM   #26
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,239 Times in 5,600 Posts
Kal tire on 160th and Fraser hwy beat every other price I found online and in store including the US Costco prices on my BFG all-terrains

Thing with kal tire too is every small town has one so your free service is always available and they do free winter tire swaps etc if you bought your summer or winters from them
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
Hondaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-07-2013, 07:09 PM   #27
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

made some calls around and maybe this information can help someone in the future.

these are for Michelin Defender 215/60R16 tires and all the prices are taxed in.

Toyota dealership - $880
Canadian Tire - $912
Sorat - $797.44
Dales - $812
Kal tire(160th and Fraser) - $827
Costco - $720(with the $70 instant rebate applied)

the cheapest I've found was Costco and I believe other stores has yet to discount the $70 Michelin mail in rebate. Costco discounts it instantly without need MIR.

However, after calling Kal Tires, they informed me that the Defender's are rated at "T" and the ratings recommended for the Toyota Camry Hybrid is a "V" rating tire. so he recommended the Michelin Primacy MXV4 for $897 taxed in. I called Costco and spoke to their tire department and the tech said the same thing and found it weird I asked for those tires right off the bat for that particular model of car. He also recommended the Michelin Primacy MXV4 at a price of $796 taxed-in(including the $70 instant discount).

Does it matter which type of tires I go with, the Defender(T rating) or the Primacy(V rating)? What's the difference between T and V class?

The difference is essentially $76, so $19 each tire pretty much.
AboveAndBeyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:21 PM   #28
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,063 Times in 308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Kal tire on 160th and Fraser hwy beat every other price I found online and in store including the US Costco prices on my BFG all-terrains

Thing with kal tire too is every small town has one so your free service is always available and they do free winter tire swaps etc if you bought your summer or winters from them
Posted via RS Mobile
how much was your bfgs? and what size?
zilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:35 PM   #29
RS controls my life!

Its a $70 manufacturer rebate. Does not apply to just Costco.

promotion

Not sure what the deal is with the fine print either.
Quote:
Michelin knows how important it is to protect your personal information. Please consult our privacy policy at www.michelin.ca. This offer cannot be combined with any other promotion or program and is not applicable at Costco. Retail sales only.

Last edited by jtrinh; 12-07-2013 at 07:47 PM.
jtrinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:16 PM   #30
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 5,380 Times in 857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AboveAndBeyond View Post
Does it matter which type of tires I go with, the Defender(T rating) or the Primacy(V rating)? What's the difference between T and V class?

The difference is essentially $76, so $19 each tire pretty much.
That would be the speed rating of the tire.

T = 190km/h
V = 240km/h
Old 12-07-2013, 09:42 PM   #31
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrinh View Post
Its a $70 manufacturer rebate. Does not apply to just Costco.

promotion

Not sure what the deal is with the fine print either.
Costco's manufacturer's rebates are usually instant while other shops make you mail it in. Hence the $70 mail in rebate isn't applicable at Costco because you already get $70 off the retail price.
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:48 PM   #32
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
That would be the speed rating of the tire.

T = 190km/h
V = 240km/h
I understand but both T or V rated speed limits, aren't even attainable and if they are, you'd be foolish to go that fast in any car on public roads. are their any other differences or benefits of choosing V rated tires vs. T rated tires? aside from the obvious speed rating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMASA View Post
Costco's manufacturer's rebates are usually instant while other shops make you mail it in. Hence the $70 mail in rebate isn't applicable at Costco because you already get $70 off the retail price.
Yup! i like this a lot better, sometimes MIR gets lost in the mail and it's a huge hassle and than you have to wait 2-3 months before you get it vs. costco's instant $70 rebate.

Speaking of Costco, I don't have a Costco card but my friend does, can he come with me and get the tires installed and paid or will they check if the car is actually under his name or not?
AboveAndBeyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:09 AM   #33
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post

Posted via RS Mobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilley View Post
how much was your bfgs? and what size?
i'd also like to know this as well..
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:32 AM   #34
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Quote:
I understand but both T or V rated speed limits, aren't even attainable and if they are, you'd be foolish to go that fast in any car on public roads. are their any other differences or benefits of choosing V rated tires vs. T rated tires? aside from the obvious speed rating.
it is not all about what the top speed of your car is, but more of a difference in the tire structure and rubber compound that also plays a factor. there was an article online about this that i unable to find at the moment... two sets of the same tire but with different speed ratings tested back to back on the same car on a closed test course and the tire with the higher speed rating performed better.
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:41 AM   #35
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
I tend to buy my tires locally, since most shops offer free repairs/remounting/etc if you buy through them, whereas a shop that installed them down south will not be as accessible if something goes wrong.

My personal preference is Tireland, especially the one in Langley as I've built up a really good relationship through them (purchased probably close to 9 different sets of tires through them over the years), but I've recently been dealing with Kal Tire, and I'm starting to like 'em quite a bit. And, as someone earlier mentioned, there's one in virtually every town, so if you're like me and drive a couple hundred clicks every day, it comes in handy if I suddenly develop a flat in a strange town.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-08-2013, 08:03 AM   #36
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
I tend to buy my tires locally, since most shops offer free repairs/remounting/etc if you buy through them, whereas a shop that installed them down south will not be as accessible if something goes wrong.

My personal preference is Tireland, especially the one in Langley as I've built up a really good relationship through them (purchased probably close to 9 different sets of tires through them over the years), but I've recently been dealing with Kal Tire, and I'm starting to like 'em quite a bit. And, as someone earlier mentioned, there's one in virtually every town, so if you're like me and drive a couple hundred clicks every day, it comes in handy if I suddenly develop a flat in a strange town.
I buy mine locally for this same reason - follow up customer service with multiple locations. My car tires I go through OK Tire as my nephew is a manager at one location. My Truck tires I get at Canadian Tire because of their tire warranty for a 4x4 - if one tire goes, they replace all 4.
Zedbra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:11 AM   #37
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
Quote:
Speaking of Costco, I don't have a Costco card but my friend does, can he come with me and get the tires installed and paid or will they check if the car is actually under his name or not?
Nope, they don't care who's car it is, only who's paying.
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote