REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 12-07-2013, 10:04 PM   #1
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Illegal to flash your high beam to alert police speed trap?!

This video is for Ontario
Video: Is it illegal to flash your headlights to signal a speed trap? - The Globe and Mail
I am sure the cops here in BC will ticket us for the same thing.

I do this all the time..
Advertisement
dovo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-07-2013, 10:14 PM   #2
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
Truckers do this too....even better when they have a Radio inside too.....it's Good too because i do it for Ghost Cars when i see Cage in the back of the SUV and lights in the grill
Old 12-07-2013, 10:16 PM   #3
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Yes.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-07-2013, 10:36 PM   #4
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
yeah we all know the law is not perfect, if police really wanna get people in trouble, they can just say it was an 'obstruction of justice'

having said that, I kinda have a feeling he might win the ticket...there's way too many grey area since there's no law that prohibits warning other drivers.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:48 PM   #5
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

I've been saved a few times in the past by people flashing their lights so I usually reciprocate.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:17 PM   #6
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,743 Times in 3,864 Posts
Richmond doesn't understand what flashin high beams in any sense of the action.

Feels bad man
Posted via RS Mobile
320icar is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-08-2013, 12:26 AM   #7
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

...traveling home after school, Ka flashing like mad and I beamed buddy in a 335i to slow down a few months ago... i guess he thought i was just trying to make him go faster, lol. he got nailed by the chev as everyone else drove by. but he did deserve it doing at least 120 in the 80 zone before Surrey.

Last edited by mac25; 12-08-2013 at 12:56 AM.
mac25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:47 AM   #8
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
I always do this, interesting to hear its not illegal, as I totally thought it was.

I actually did get caught doing this on the Coq, but the cop in the oncoming direction just flashed his blue & reds, but he never turned around to come get me. I guess that makes sense now that I know technically it isn't illegal.

I would love to see them try to give out an obstruction of justice ticket, especially when the radio is broadcasting information about speed traps daily. I would have a field day fighting that ticket....

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:59 AM   #9
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
Soooo...who got stopped on lougheed tonight?

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:32 AM   #10
RS controls my life!

along the same lines here is my question.

assuming i wouldn't be blinding people who were actually moving. like only targeting vehicles stopped at intersections. could i use my 30" led bar to blind the fuck out of idiots driving around with their high beams on? since flashing my high beams back doesn't ever get the point across.

30" light bar is like 13-14k lumens

could you get in any serious trouble for this? or just maybe some illegal light ticket.
jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:49 AM   #11

Thanked 14,743 Times in 3,864 Posts
Those lights are fucking intense. I definitely wouldn't use them for oncoming traffic. Would scare the shit out if a little old granny who accidentally turned on her h. Beams after making a turn
Posted via RS Mobile
320icar is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-08-2013, 07:10 AM   #12
Glorious Gaming PC Master Race

they can't nail you for obstruction of justice (its not possible to prove that was your intent).

they will get your for improper use of high beams. (or anything else that they feel like. V.I anyone?)
Old 12-08-2013, 07:46 AM   #13
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
did this not happen a few years back on knight st? drivers going northbound coming off the bridge were hi beaming southbound traffic to tell them there was a radar trap on the approach and there was another cop hiding in the northbound side streets pulling people over for it?
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:55 AM   #14

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal View Post
along the same lines here is my question.

assuming i wouldn't be blinding people who were actually moving. like only targeting vehicles stopped at intersections. could i use my 30" led bar to blind the fuck out of idiots driving around with their high beams on? since flashing my high beams back doesn't ever get the point across.

30" light bar is like 13-14k lumens

could you get in any serious trouble for this? or just maybe some illegal light ticket.
Your light bar SHOULD have an opaque cover while on the road... like any other off-road lights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:23 AM   #15
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

I've heard that most of these cases get thrown out in Canada as there is already a precedence that this act is not illegal. They compare the act to a radio announcer alerting everyone of the speed traps location.
Past:'06 Civic Si
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:53 AM   #16
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,098 Times in 4,998 Posts
Some fucker in a typical tough guy jacked up Dodge diesel duallie truck with one of those crazy lightbars on Hwy91 was pissed for whatever reason at some BMW behind him and turned on his rear-facing lightbar during the S-Curve in high traffic... almost caused like 5 accidents unrelated to whatever his loser beef was on the highway as everyone slammed on their brakes trying to figure out what the hell was going on/thinking that somebody had spun out.

On a semi-related note... why does EVERY SINGLE eighth gen Civic I see drive around with its highbeams on?! Is it super easy to flick the headlight stalk forward on that car or something???
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:57 AM   #17

Thanked 3,493 Times in 1,158 Posts
Same thing could be said about Corollas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:22 AM   #18
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 2,532 Times in 446 Posts
i do this all the time.
sometimes i turn my fog light (bright as fawk yellow) in replacement of my highbeam .
either or, i appreciate when other drivers warn me, so i do the same.
Grim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:27 AM   #19
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post

On a semi-related note... why does EVERY SINGLE eighth gen Civic I see drive around with its highbeams on?! Is it super easy to flick the headlight stalk forward on that car or something???
That's exactly what it is. I have noticed the same thing with that gen Civic. It wasn't until I drove a 8th gen Civic and a CSX did I realize those stalks get flicked in the highbeam position easily when using the turn signal, and most drivers of those particular vehicles don't realize what the highbeam sign is in their dash.
Uncle Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:39 AM   #20

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Benz View Post
That's exactly what it is. I have noticed the same thing with that gen Civic. It wasn't until I drove a 8th gen Civic and a CSX did I realize those stalks get flicked in the highbeam position easily when using the turn signal, and most drivers of those particular vehicles don't realize what the highbeam sign is in their dash.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:47 AM   #21
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
My biggest annoyance is semi rigs that are running HID's, though pickups with light bars come in a close second. Almost got into an accident the other night driving down Hwy1 just before Sorrento. There's a ton of twisties that's covered in ice right now, and in the middle of one such turn, a semi truck came barrelling around the corner, HID bulbs going full blast in halogen housings. I couldn't see shit and had to rely purely on luck and what little of the road I could remember seeing before taking the turn.

As much as I like LED light bars, there's a reason why they're deemed suitable for off-road use only and are not road legal. Too many bro trucks with Alberta plates running around here at night with their light bars turned on all the time.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:52 AM   #22
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Under the MVAR using your high beams is ILLEGAL under some circumstances...

4.06 (1) The headlamps of a motor vehicle must function so that the driver may select lamps capable of displaying

(a) an upper beam of light which, regardless of the load on the vehicle, will reveal an object at a distance of 100 m, and

(b) a lower beam of light which, regardless of the load on the vehicle, will reveal an object at a distance of 30 m and the high intensity portion of the lower beam will not strike the eye of an oncoming driver.

(2) The lighting system must include a tell-tale lamp which clearly indicates when the upper beam of light is being displayed.

(3) Subsection (2) does not apply to a motor vehicle manufactured before January 1, 1940.

(4) If an automatic dimmer switch is installed, the device must have a manual control.

(5) A person who drives or operates a motor vehicle must not illuminate the upper beam of a headlamp if another motor vehicle is within a distance of 150 m from that vehicle, unless the driver has overtaken and passed the other vehicle, so that the high intensity portion of the beam does not strike or reflect into the eye of the other driver.

(6) Whenever a motor vehicle is parked or standing on a highway, the upper beam of the motor vehicle headlamps must not be illuminated.

[en. B.C. Reg. 476/98, s. 2.]

So chances are, if you are warning another vehicle, you are most likely doing it within 150m
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:57 AM   #23
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Also, you guys shouldn't go by Ontario's motor vehicle regulations. Every province has their own laws.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:24 PM   #24
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
I've been saved a couple times by people flashing high beams (UBC highway, 2 Rd Bridge and 2 Rd, Knight Street) so whenever I see a speed trap I do the same.

If I can prevent one guy from getting a speeding ticket I'm happy.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:16 PM   #25
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Some fucker in a typical tough guy jacked up Dodge diesel duallie truck with one of those crazy lightbars on Hwy91 was pissed for whatever reason at some BMW behind him and turned on his rear-facing lightbar during the S-Curve in high traffic... almost caused like 5 accidents unrelated to whatever his loser beef was on the highway as everyone slammed on their brakes trying to figure out what the hell was going on/thinking that somebody had spun out.

crap you are reminding me of the city of burnaby municipal truck i had to follow to work on friday. it had all its rear service spotlights on and it was like driving into the sun.
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote