REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Westjet - 'Twas a night before Christmas (https://www.revscene.net/forums/691053-westjet-twas-night-before-christmas.html)

tiger_handheld 12-09-2013 07:52 PM

Westjet - 'Twas a night before Christmas

/this deserves it's own thread

ps: if it has been posted earlier, I don't care - fail me!

edit: if the video hits 200k views, Westjet is going to give away free flights to families and kids in need. No I'don't work for WestJet - This video just captures the spirit of the season - this is how everyday should be.

punkwax 12-09-2013 08:01 PM

Awesome.

Vale46Rossi 12-09-2013 08:29 PM

That's beautiful.

bballguy 12-09-2013 08:32 PM

Excellent marketing ploy...

meme405 12-09-2013 08:33 PM

Saw this on FB and thought it was pretty awesome...

Gumby 12-09-2013 08:43 PM

We'll done, WestJet, well done...

<insert b&w gif of distinguished man clapping>
Posted via RS Mobile

Vale46Rossi 12-09-2013 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gumby (Post 8379079)
We'll done, WestJet, well done...

<http://thatschurch.com/wp-content/up...MHG1qejf6u.gif>
Posted via RS Mobile

:D

Ronin 12-09-2013 10:14 PM

I mean...that's cool and all but they just gave a bunch of people on a random plane some baller ass gifts.

I don't know how the logistics would work but this would've been more of a feel-good thing if the people getting stuff were poor and homeless rather than middle class white folk. I get the marketing but that kid probably would've gotten an Android tablet from his parents.

Sorry to Grinch it up but I don't know...seems like it would've been a better video if they gave gifts to some Oliver Twist lookin' kids that don't get to have much or anything for Christmas.

fs604 12-09-2013 10:23 PM

bet the guy who got socks was choked when he saw that guy get the tv.

jepho 12-09-2013 10:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronin (Post 8379160)
I mean...that's cool and all but they just gave a bunch of people on a random plane some baller ass gifts.

I don't know how the logistics would work but this would've been more of a feel-good thing if the people getting stuff were poor and homeless rather than middle class white folk. I get the marketing but that kid probably would've gotten an Android tablet from his parents.

Sorry to Grinch it up but I don't know...seems like it would've been a better video if they gave gifts to some Oliver Twist lookin' kids that don't get to have much or anything for Christmas.

your avatar is fitting for your post.

PiuYi 12-09-2013 10:35 PM

http://blog.sowiarnia.pl/wp-content/..._much_win.jpeg

rsx 12-09-2013 10:53 PM

The blue was pretty trippy, had to check a few times if my cable was connected all the way

Zedbra 12-10-2013 07:47 AM

Quote:

Nothing wrong with rewarding already paying customers and then promoting it. If that seems to fit a particular demographics - so be it - that is whom their customers tend to be.

Audi and Porsche constantly fly their buyers to Vegas for a weekend of driver lessons and track driving; a reward and thank you for being a customer. You'd say no to that and bitch on a car forum about it? Should they pick some Oliver Twist looking people off the street that will never buy their products? Maybe hit the KIA dealership to give it a feel-good vibe for you?

I think WestJet did a brilliant PR job here. More companies should follow suit.

AAnthony 12-10-2013 08:13 AM

-----

Soundy 12-10-2013 08:18 AM

Over 1.3M views now... they're doing a segment on this on the Bill Good Show right now, just talked to a WestJet manager about the whole thing... apparently the socks-and-underwear guy and the Android Kid have become minor internet celebrities now.

They're taking calls after this break. Here's your chance to phone in, Ronin.

AAnthony 12-10-2013 08:18 AM

-----

Infiniti 12-10-2013 08:24 AM

Frankly, i'm just fed up with the pervasive nature of consumerism come xmas time..So much waste, so much unneeded crap we don't need..all to the detriment of our environment <---something we rely upon for things that matter like air, water and food.

So yeah I might be a "grinch" but honestly taking a trip to the mall these days makes me wanna puke. Lets rack up that credit card to buy useless shit for our kids who really don't need any of that stuff to pretend it fulfills us as parents and human beings!

Soundy 12-10-2013 08:27 AM

Quote:

That's a bit of an ASSumption, isn't it? How many might be flying to visit family on a shoestring budget? For Android Kid's parents, it may have been a choice between getting the kid the tablet he wanted, or taking him to visit Grandma for Christmas. It's rather arrogant to assume everyone on a flight is just out on a junket because they had some spare cash and figured it would be fun to spend it on a flight somewhere (to Calgary, of all fuck'n places).

bballguy 12-10-2013 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Infiniti (Post 8379347)
Frankly, i'm just fed up with the pervasive nature of consumerism come xmas time..So much waste, so much unneeded crap we don't need..all to the detriment of our environment <---something we rely upon for things that matter like air, water and food.

So yeah I might be a "grinch" but honestly taking a trip to the mall these days makes me wanna puke. Lets rack up that credit card to buy useless shit for our kids who really don't need any of that stuff to pretend it fulfills us as parents and human beings!

damn dag, must suck to be your kid.

Hondaracer 12-10-2013 08:49 AM

I could have helped a bunch of homeless but I spent $300 on booze instead

Can't people just fucking enjoy somthing for what it is rather than looking from that side?

Guarantee if they had a similar campaign just giving out clothes and beds to homeless it wouldn't get half the play this will, it's about marketing.
Posted via RS Mobile

Soundy 12-10-2013 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8379359)
Can't people just fucking enjoy somthing for what it is rather than looking from that side?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...communists.jpg

snails 12-10-2013 09:00 AM

fck people just be happy, lets say it was you guys in their shoes and you decided to walk up the the large box and scan your pass and you received the unsuspected gifts you asked for..

whos to say that all these people didnt pay the favor forward, or decide to make a donation to an organization..

the world needs more good shit like these regardless of who deserves it..

WestJet was on a marketing mission, they succeeded while making people smile.. better than most marketing ploys out there

Gumby 12-10-2013 10:04 AM

LG and Samsung got free advertising in this video...

Jgresch 12-10-2013 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gumby (Post 8379382)
LG and Samsung got free advertising in this video...

I'm gonna say there is a high chance they donated their products...

Gumby 12-10-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jgresch (Post 8379388)
I'm gonna say there is a high chance they donated their products...

They're not mentioned in the credits, but BestBuy is, so more likely BestBuy donated them.