REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:20 AM   #26
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Also agree.. Pictures were kinda missing... The deadly smog.
Advertisement
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:05 PM   #27

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
it's cuz china takes care of what is important first... I think they're prioritizing economic stability over human life, because what's the point of human life, if you don't have a stable economy?

I should have said, what is "actually" important objectively.

i think we're laughing now, but they're not brutes.. they'll catch up fast and probably exceed us in, almost all aspects. as technology develops that can clean up pollution and help them pump out more energy, more efficiently, we'll be left behind.

technology will fix all their problems, and none of ours.

I'm sure they'll find their old chinese culture again. give them another 50-100 years.
Without a true democratic society, it will be very difficult for them to catch up. What has China really done to drive global development other than providing cheap manufacturing?
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:30 PM   #28
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
shopped photo's.....China is Fucked when it comes to Smog in that dirty forbiddin country
Old 12-11-2013, 01:18 PM   #29
Rs has made me the man i am today!

How about researching why they are not considered an industrialized nation ?

E.g. Look up why the Financial Minister of China still says that they are a developing nation and their high level plans

Damn OP, so lazy at looking up trivial information.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:20 PM   #30
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7seven View Post
Timpo, you should be classified as a third class citizen. I'm not joking either

It would be an insult to citizens of those nations to classify the OP as the same rank as them.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:43 PM   #31
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,448 Times in 1,438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post
lol Timpo... first, second and third world doesnt mean how much money they have...

someone clearly needs to go back to school
In his Timpo theory, with all the mainland Chinese moving to Vancouver, Vancouver is now a second world city lol
Posted via RS Mobile
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:46 PM   #32
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
SkinnyPupp: I can't believe those pictures. It looks post-apocalyptic
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:50 PM   #33
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,798 Times in 981 Posts
They're still a third world country cause they never made the GTR.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:51 PM   #34
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by white rocket View Post
SkinnyPupp: I can't believe those pictures. It looks post-apocalyptic
Record high levels in Shanghai last week. They told people not to go to the city if you don't have to. They are destroying their country before having the chance to achieve Ulic's utopian goal
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-11-2013, 04:01 PM   #35

Going to Shanghai next week. I'll let you guys know if my boogers turn black from the smog.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:03 PM   #36
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeBeeAhn View Post
Going to Shanghai next week. I'll let you guys know if my boogers turn black from the smog.
Pics or GTFO!
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:06 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Pics or GTFO!
Made a note on my phone to take pictures of my black boogers. Just for you.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:24 PM   #38
#deephouse

Thanked 4,704 Times in 1,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeBeeAhn View Post
tits or gtfo
Old 12-11-2013, 04:52 PM   #39
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,290 Times in 2,507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Record high levels in Shanghai last week. They told people not to go to the city if you don't have to. They are destroying their country before having the chance to achieve Ulic's utopian goal
All that economic growth for the past 10-15 years is literally built right on top of a complete and wanton disregard for the environment. And now their entire population is paying for it...
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:10 PM   #40
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

I still can not tell whether Timpo is a troll or not.
slingblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:11 PM   #41
$_$
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenmecar View Post
wasn't it technology that caused pollution in the first place?

North America/Europe would never allow the way factories in China handle their manufacturing processes. Its not so much that technology that will solve their pollution crisis (that's just wishful thinking), the factories just need to abide by processes that don't pollute the environment.
I hope you are joking? What do you think North America and Europe was doing during it's own industrial revolution? Do you think they were at all concerned about polluting the environment when they were pumping out factories? It's hypocritical to say that China isn't allowed to push it's economy through industrialization when Western countries did exactly that to propel it's own standards of living... Don't get me wrong, pollution is terrible, but industrialization is the only way for these countries to catch up on the global economy. As China turns it's economy more towards commerce,finance, and retail sales industry, it will push factories further and further inland or outsource to even poorer countries such as Vietnam or Philippines until it's no longer feasible to produce in China anymore, or just stick to high end consumer products. And the government has been coming down hard on environmental pollution - it's getting harder every year to run a factory in China.
$_$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:12 PM   #42
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post
lol Timpo... first, second and third world doesnt mean how much money they have...

someone clearly needs to go back to school
Quote:
Originally Posted by asian_XL View Post
In his Timpo theory, with all the mainland Chinese moving to Vancouver, Vancouver is now a second world city lol
Posted via RS Mobile
Timpo's classification of country status is based on # of GTRs/capita
vyrospec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:26 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by $_$ View Post
I hope you are joking? What do you think North America and Europe was doing during it's own industrial revolution? Do you think they were at all concerned about polluting the environment when they were pumping out factories? It's hypocritical to say that China isn't allowed to push it's economy through industrialization when Western countries did exactly that to propel it's own standards of living... Don't get me wrong, pollution is terrible, but industrialization is the only way for these countries to catch up on the global economy. As China turns it's economy more towards commerce,finance, and retail sales industry, it will push factories further and further inland or outsource to even poorer countries such as Vietnam or Philippines until it's no longer feasible to produce in China anymore, or just stick to high end consumer products. And the government has been coming down hard on environmental pollution - it's getting harder every year to run a factory in China.
Your above rhetoric has always been what the pro-China camp touted, and to a great extent, I understand where that is coming from. The fallacy I see is, with China's economic rise, it isn't like they didn't have any options, nor it isn't like they didn't know what the entirely predictable consequences would be. History, through the western world's past actions, has already shown what would happen to the environment and the health of the population when you follow that pollution-driven path of economic gains. The costs of those are not easily repairable, if at all repairable, whether it is environmental damage or the loss of health / human lives. Of course, those in power are far more concerned with "short term" (10-15 years as we have seen) gains and lining the own pockets while doing so.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-11-2013, 06:01 PM   #44

Thanked 2,733 Times in 696 Posts
It's kind of cool to see what China would look like without the smog.
Looks Vancouveresque
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:03 PM   #45
$_$
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Your above rhetoric has always been what the pro-China camp touted, and to a great extent, I understand where that is coming from. The fallacy I see is, with China's economic rise, it isn't like they didn't have any options, nor it isn't like they didn't know what the entirely predictable consequences would be. History, through the western world's past actions, has already shown what would happen to the environment and the health of the population when you follow that pollution-driven path of economic gains. The costs of those are not easily repairable, if at all repairable, whether it is environmental damage or the loss of health / human lives. Of course, those in power are far more concerned with "short term" (10-15 years as we have seen) gains and lining the own pockets while doing so.
But what would you have them do? This is two folded - for those in power, would you let your country lag 50 years behind in economy, with no chance at all in catching up?

And for the commoners, watching the extravagance of western spending on Hollywood television, with no opportunities of attaining the same type of lifestyle... Without a stronger economy, there are no sales/service/retail/commerce type jobs like the US. What are all those people going to do for a living? Continue to be farmers and herders? It's a very complex situation...

And for the record, I'm don't see myself as pro-China. I just don't view the environment as fragile as most of you do. We humans have only been on planet Earth for a fraction of the time that it has been spinning, and it has gone through massive changes and transitions that we haven't been a part of. I see pollution as a natural progression of in-habitation, the same as if an animal shits in the forest. If we fuck around too much with the environment too much, Earth will easily just push back and wipe us out. It's all part of the natural process. Everything we do is "natural", because humans are part of nature. Extinction through over hunting, deforestation, even if the human race eventually dies out because we screwed up our environment so much that we no longer can live here anymore - all of that is just part of the circle of life.
$_$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:24 PM   #46

A more long term vision would be to balance the economic gains against the environmental and human costs. Of course, those in power in China view human lives -- that is, the life of your typical peasant and average citizen -- as almost dispensable since there are 1.3B of them around. (And naturally, they view their own lives worthing a lot more.)

But even when human lives are worthless in the Chinese top brass' eyes, the economic benefits of the pollution should have been accounted for in their "economic plans" (since it is a "planned economy" they always tout). The factory closures do not bring any economic benefits. Sick people cannot produce any GDP gains even if their lives are considered worthless.

All this talk is no different than people recommending living a healthy lifestyle. If you are poor, do you work 3 jobs and eat nothing but fast food? Or do you work 1.5 jobs while trying to cook your own meals and give up a little leisure time? Or do you work that 1 job while trying to study for something that'll pay better? There may not be a definitive "best" way out of these options, but what China has been doing is the equivalent of working those 3 jobs, having nothing but fast food, and not getting any sleep -- all because he wants to have some bling bling ride, a McMansion (bought on mortgage), and look baller because that's how the Jones are...
Old 12-12-2013, 05:15 AM   #47
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valour View Post
What about Dong Guan? That's a paradise city...
Posted via RS Mobile
LOL!
Old 12-12-2013, 06:36 AM   #48
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by $_$ View Post
But what would you have them do? This is two folded - for those in power, would you let your country lag 50 years behind in economy, with no chance at all in catching up?

And for the commoners, watching the extravagance of western spending on Hollywood television, with no opportunities of attaining the same type of lifestyle... Without a stronger economy, there are no sales/service/retail/commerce type jobs like the US. What are all those people going to do for a living? Continue to be farmers and herders? It's a very complex situation...

And for the record, I'm don't see myself as pro-China. I just don't view the environment as fragile as most of you do. We humans have only been on planet Earth for a fraction of the time that it has been spinning, and it has gone through massive changes and transitions that we haven't been a part of. I see pollution as a natural progression of in-habitation, the same as if an animal shits in the forest. If we fuck around too much with the environment too much, Earth will easily just push back and wipe us out. It's all part of the natural process. Everything we do is "natural", because humans are part of nature. Extinction through over hunting, deforestation, even if the human race eventually dies out because we screwed up our environment so much that we no longer can live here anymore - all of that is just part of the circle of life.
I am just going to add that mos tof the pollution we have today is within the last 100 to 200 years or so...... While thousdand of years ago human still around. There isn't anyone or any country to blame, as humans we are lazy and selfish and want things does the simple way.

The way I see it, we would die from not having enough food rather than from pollution....... Even as we speak there isn't enough food to feed everyone on earth. Yet we waste them every single day.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:38 PM   #49

Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
I am just going to add that mos tof the pollution we have today is within the last 100 to 200 years or so...... While thousdand of years ago human still around. There isn't anyone or any country to blame, as humans we are lazy and selfish and want things does the simple way.

The way I see it, we would die from not having enough food rather than from pollution....... Even as we speak there isn't enough food to feed everyone on earth. Yet we waste them every single day.
Wow that was difficult to read... I guess I should have expected that going into a China thread

A car can be only 2 out of the 3.
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:45 PM   #50
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post

Actually the ratio is around 4 chickens to 1 person on earth. There's plenty of food around, it's the distribution that's the problem.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote