REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Best 2014 1/2 ton Truck on the market? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/691287-best-2014-1-2-ton-truck-market.html)

Jas29 12-17-2013 09:27 PM

Best 2014 1/2 ton Truck on the market?

Looking for the best fully loaded 1/2 ton pick up 4x4 crew cab don't really care about the brand(doesn't want a Nissan Titan). its not for me

It will be a daily driver
used to haul up to a 1000 pounds

Going to go test drive them all in the next couple of weeks and want to see what RS opinion is

meme405 12-17-2013 10:44 PM

Budget?

A lot of people are going to say ford raptor if you dont have a budget, or sierra denali.

Realistically, I love GM trucks, I have always loved GMC more than chevy just cause the styling has been better for the last 10 years, but for all intents and purposes the trucks are 1 and the same.

The new sierra is a marked upgrade and should make a great DD.

It all comes down to hopping in all three (F150, Ram, and GM) and going for a drive.

On the flipside you can have a look at the tacoma and tundra, but I don't have much experience with those trucks, beyond people telling me how great they are. I have always owned a domestic for work duties.

Jas29 12-17-2013 11:06 PM

Thanks meme I was thinking the same thing its mostly personal prefference I think most of the trucks are pretty much the same and it comes down to the user picking one rather than one being better then the other

And nope no budget

Edit: what do you guys think about the 2013 Ram 1500 diesel that's coming out in march

1990TSI 12-17-2013 11:10 PM

F-150 5.0

meme405 12-17-2013 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jas29 (Post 8384376)

Edit: what do you guys think about the 2013 Ram 1500 diesel that's coming out in march

Great idea, and I am so happy they are finally starting to have small displacement diesels available in 1/2 ton trucks.

But I would not buy the first year of that truck. New engine, new transmission, and something they havnt dealt with before. I don't care who in italy made the engine, there is bound to be some hurdles.

Jas29 12-17-2013 11:20 PM

I'm not 100% on this but I read that VM Motori is supplying the engines and that they are expensive to work on any truth to this

1990TSI any reason to why the f150 is a better truck??
Posted via RS Mobile

ScizzMoney 12-17-2013 11:39 PM

I have been working in northern Alberta for over 10 years now and have driven all makes of pickups aside from Nissan.

Trucks over the years
All of these trucks are more than capable in their top of the line trim to do 'the job'.

As a whole, I like GMC the most and that is because I value highway comfort and road noise above all else. Generally the smoothest of the pickups as far as driving goes. Seats are usually second best (Toyota seems to have this on lock in my opinion)
I find that generally the Fords seem to have the most composure on dirt and non highway roads. I also feel that the ford seems to be able to take a little more abuse.
Dodges seem to always have good engines but passable transmissions. (The new transmission seems very good though). They also feel tighter for me when driving around town, feels less like a truck in parking lots, etc.
Toyota builds the nicest non work truck in my opinion. Very nice cab and is also quiet and great on the highway. The only reason I don't rate this as #1 is because they are average in ride quality off highway. These trucks seem to skip like rocks on a lake on washboard compared to the other makes.

2013/2014 model trucks
If I could put my biases aside and choose a truck to purchase I'd probably go with the Ram 1500. Very nice transmission and good truck for highway driving. Smooth ride and nice comfortable interior. The seats still aren't as nice as the new Tundra or Sierra but they are still very nice.

I would steer away from a Diesel unless the guy driving is actually going to be doing a fair amount of towing. The companies I've worked for over the years spend way way way more money on diesel engine related problems than any of our gas trucks. If the driver is going to be doing a lot of highway miles then maybe a diesel would be a good choice. I just can't find a good reason to recommend anyone getting one if they aren't towing a trailer or don't have a work box to put on. Diesel gets more expensive and gets shittier for the vehicle but better for the environment every year.

On a side note, I am going to buy a new truck next year and I am either going with a Denali HD or a Ram 3500 Longhorn. Leaning towards the Denali simply because of my bias and preference to GMC.

jackal 12-18-2013 01:24 AM

i'm picking up a new f150 tomorrow. 3.5 ecoboost. add a tune, exhaust and intake and make almost 500tq!

but seriously, i'm a ford guy. i really don't trust the reliability of the chevy and dodge offerings. dodge has never built a decent transmission for their trucks and having 8 gears just screams more things to go wrong to me. the chevy is nicer to drive then the ford but when really hauling it doesn't compare imo the power band of the 3.5 ecoboost is just to good (90% of peak torque at 1500rpm). and toyota isn't keeping up with the other guys in the fuel economy and standard towing features like integrated brake controller and sway control.

fords tailgate step is also the best but the chevy bumper step is good but only is you have something to grab onto to pull yourself up.

most of them offer hids now but iirc only toyota has auto leveling so when hauling and the rear end squats your going to blind the shit out of everyone. interiors are all pretty cheap feeling. they all look nice but its all hard plastics.

T4RAWR 12-18-2013 08:01 AM

I would recommend the ford f150

If you go with a toyota tundra id suggest getting timbrens or airlift for the rear.

meme405 12-18-2013 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackal (Post 8384433)
most of them offer hids now but iirc only toyota has auto leveling so when hauling and the rear end squats your going to blind the shit out of everyone. interiors are all pretty cheap feeling. they all look nice but its all hard plastics.

I have seriously been curious about this, especially as to why these companies are being so retarded. Since 2003 the FX35/45's have had a small switch that allows you to lower the angle of the headlights, this is specifically engineered towards towing so that the HIDs don't blind other road users.

How can a car that is hardly ever going to get used for towing (the damn thing is rated at only 2500lbs), have this feature, yet a truck which is designed almost entirely for this purpose not have something similar. Complete oversight IMO.

Hondaracer 12-18-2013 09:12 AM

I drive an f150 it's got 180,000kms on it and still going strong has been very reliable

Two people I know have the 3.5 ecoboost in a 2014 and 2013 and they love , both tow boats etc and feel it has more towing capacity than the previous gen 5.4 they had
Posted via RS Mobile

mos_skeeto 12-18-2013 09:21 AM

First revscene suggest a vehicle thread without a used S2000 or nsx!

RRxtar 12-18-2013 09:25 AM

If you're not in a hurry, wait for the '15 F150's to start showing up this summer. All new truck.

Im a die hard ford guy. But the new GMC Sierra is a real nice truck as well.

snails 12-18-2013 09:38 AM

i suggest you go to the big 3 dealerships and give each a test drive.. "chevy, dodge and ferddd"

all vehicles have their pros and cons.. dodges new lineup have an amazing interior, i think as goes for reliability i may give it to Chevy and Fords newer engine innovation is great!

TjAlmeida 12-18-2013 10:15 AM

I would say the new ram 1500 with the diesel. Can't beat low end torque and if you ever do tow small the person may appreciate the benefits of a diesel. Or tell them to wait a couple years and I'm sure gm and Ford will have half ton diesel.

There are already 4 cylinder powerstrokes and duramax's
Posted via RS Mobile

RRxtar 12-18-2013 10:29 AM

the new Titan has a better diesel than the ram. The Ram diesel was originally supposed to go into a car. Also the coil suspension rear in the ram is apparently terrifying to tow heavy with. And the Ford ecoboost makes buckets of low end torque too.

If brand loyalty isn't an issue, you honestly have to go drive one of all of them. And similar trim levels too. If you drive a loaded Ford, and a base Chevy, it isnt a good comparison.

Jas29 12-18-2013 11:18 AM

Somebody mentioned ford's tailgate step up he doesn't really care for that. The f150 that he has now doesn't have the top piece for the tail gate it broke off while being loaded/unloaded.

He wont be waiting for the new 2015 f150 wants a new truck before summer starts.

Also he won't be modding the truck in anyway.

Hes leaning towards the GMC Sierra (5.3), Ford F150 (eco boost) and the Toyota Tundra(5.7) but the fuel economy of the tundra isn't that great though

Tegra_Devil 12-18-2013 04:19 PM

Tundra...cause im biased and its awesome.....and resale value over the domestics ;)

jasonturbo 12-18-2013 04:33 PM

I just recently went through this same process, ended up doing the following;

2014 Ram 1500 Sport Loaded, 8spd, Nav, etc.
- Best engine in class IMO
- Best tranny in class IMO
- Quiet cab
- Big backseat (Not huge like the F150 though)
- Heated steering wheel and auto 4wd!
- Big nav screen that works great
- ONLY PAID 42k (Before taxes!)
(What don't I like, goofy ass dodge head emblems,... that's pretty much it! Only have 5000km on it so far)

Prior to this I had a loaded 2012 F150 FX4 w/ 5.0L (Sold it with 30k on odo, got $36k for it), I did like the truck but it lacked the following;
- heated steering wheel
- auto 4wd setting
- mpg (Ecoboost is really no better)
- decent Nav scree, it was small and had poor sensitivity
(Paid 45k before taxes)

I looked at all the 2014 trucks, for me dodge won hands down and I've already convinced like 3 other people to buy them after they took a look at my truck and saw what I paid. The 8 spd is awesome, on hwy at 120km/hr the tach is at about 1200rpm, very quiet and great hwy mpg.

GL

jasonturbo 12-18-2013 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tegra_Devil (Post 8384762)
Tundra...cause im biased and its awesome.....and resale value over the domestics ;)

I don't know that I can agree with this, from what I have seen it's more like the initial cost is higher for comparable import and as such the used sale price is also higher, I think they depreciate at a similar rate.

... except for those old ass tacoma's... man people spend way too much on those things lol

vitaminG 12-18-2013 04:44 PM

bear in mind new 2015 f150 coming soon

tundra is oldest design of all makes.

and even if you dislike them new Titan with cummins will be out soon as well

Purely 12-18-2013 04:52 PM

Yup.. Toyota Trucks (at least the Tacoma's 1st and 2nd gen) hold tons of value. They are pretty much bulletproof/reliable though.

RRxtar 12-18-2013 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vitaminG (Post 8384775)
bear in mind new 2015 f150 coming soon

tundra is oldest design of all makes.

and even if you dislike them new Titan with cummins will be out soon as well

Tundra is new for '14. Not all new, but a substantial refresh.

And ya, initial cost is higher, and lease is way higher.

jackal 12-18-2013 10:12 PM

even though i am a ford guy, i wouldn't buy a first model year truck from any manufacturer.

as for running a diesel in a 1/2 tone truck. it makes no sense. diesel is tipically a lot more maintenance and the engines are designed to move really heavy loads. loads probably bigger then the frame and axles can handle. if your looking at a 1/2 ton and feel you NEED a diesel then you probably should be looking at something bigger.

not to mention they are also usually a really expensive upgrade.

on a side note, spent the day ripping around in the new truck. loving it so far. it's SO much quieter then my previous 05 fx4. i'll snap a couple pics in the daylight tomorrow.

Rich Sandor 12-19-2013 12:32 AM

I love my 2011 F150 5.0L