REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Audio, Video, & Security Tech

Audio, Video, & Security Tech This forum is brought to you by Sounds Good Auto in Coquitlam and Burnaby.

Enter SPL Competitions, display your Setups, DIY Projects

Old 01-05-2014, 03:58 PM   #1
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

URGENT HELP NEEDED! BRZ won't start.

Hey guys, need urgent help. I had a blackvue dr550 installed on my brz last month. My unlock/lock on my fob was occasionally not working, but no big deal, just had to get closer and press a couple extra times. Today I adjusted the power magic pro to 12 hours setting and replaced memory card with 64gb card. Tried to restart car, lights flashed on and off, but car would not start. Tried that a couple times and stopped. Gave 15 minutes break, then tried again. Now the car is dead!!! When I go in the car, the "battery" and "check oil" light flashes and there is a constant clicking sound in the front, but otherwise my car is dead. Need any help/advice!!!
Advertisement
604brz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-05-2014, 04:02 PM   #2
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,904 Times in 751 Posts
Jump start the car, then take it back to whoever installed your Power Magic and have it reprogrammed as it's draining your battery
Old 01-05-2014, 04:11 PM   #3
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

After I jumpstart, do I need to turn off the power magic pro, or can I just unplug the power cable on the camera?
Old 01-05-2014, 04:32 PM   #4
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,904 Times in 751 Posts
I don't know how the PMP works specifically, but I would think that turning it off would be the safer bet to prevent this situation from reoccurring.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:34 PM   #5
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Dashcam drained battery life and car wont start; better post on revscene before trying the most obvious solution of jump starting the vehicle
Past:'06 Civic Si
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:47 PM   #6
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
The clicking sound is your starter telling you that you need to jump start the car
Old 01-05-2014, 06:13 PM   #7
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Hey guys, yes confirmed it was drained battery . It seemed weird that the car battery would be drained on just a 6 hour setting on a new car? (I only switched it to 12 hour setting a few hours ago). I'll try changing cutoff to 12v setting and see if that makes a difference. Any other better long-term solutions if this doesn't work? Upgrade battery? I need it on 12hr setting as my car has been hit and run twice at work already and I work 9-10 hours/day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
Dashcam drained battery life and car wont start; better post on revscene before trying the most obvious solution of jump starting the vehicle
Wasn't sure if it was a battery issue or electronics issue. When my old car was having problems with battery, car would turn but not start and that's it. In my BRZ, it's keyless push-start, so there was no sound, and the lights on my dash were flashing. Also, I don't have jumper cables (will buy some now just in case) and had to wait 1 hr for BCAA to show, so thought I'd ask while I waited for them.

Last edited by 604brz; 01-05-2014 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:27 PM   #8
RS controls my life!

It really depends on your commute to and from work that determines how much your battery will charge before being drained by your electronics.
Posted via RS Mobile
Gazorcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-05-2014, 06:40 PM   #9
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

I am such a car enthusiast. I bought a brz. Halp how do I chanj oil. DIY makes my nails dirty. Time for a manicure.
Posted via RS Mobile
supremematt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-05-2014, 06:54 PM   #10
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Wow having trouble with the brz already? Subaru cars are going downhill. So many recalls . you should of bought a toyota. Lol
Posted via RS Mobile
zx7rrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:03 PM   #11
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
Weird. I have brz as well, running power magic pro with finevu cr500 dashcam. Mines allows me to set to parking mode, which records when there is movement only.

I'm not sure if blackvue allows parking motion detection mode?
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-05-2014, 11:46 PM   #12
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Thanks for all the help guys! Still kinda strange that even 6 hours parking mode cutoff was enough to drain the battery...granted I work close to home so only drive 30-45 minutes/day usually.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:22 AM   #13
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,504 Times in 1,162 Posts
You used BCAA for a jump start?

How come you didn't use the Subaru road side assistance?

I have a BRZ myself also but have yet to use it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:31 AM   #14
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
i dont use a power magic and leave my blackvue plugged in 24/7 in my civic.. only had it die one time cuz i didnt drive my car for 2-3 days!..
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:11 AM   #15
RS Licensed Vendor

I'll safely assume this is Will

Constant battery draw is going to kill your battery regardless of what battery. Your car battery isn't really meant to have a lot of current drawn from it when the alternator is off.

Like leaving your cell phone charging while the cars off. If you really want it to work you should probably install another battery.
#8-2900 Smith St
Richmond, BC

sales@bpgautosound.com
Cman333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:37 PM   #16
Ye olde moderator

Thanked 1,278 Times in 390 Posts
Power magic pro can be programmed to operate at two different pre-determined voltage settings. Running the camera constantly is not a problem as the PMP will shut the camera off when it dips to a certain level.

I would suggest you have your battery and alternator tested to make sure that it is all working up to standard. We have some excellent testing equipment plus I have a lot of personal experience installing and using Blackvue products and PMP as we are an authorized dealer/installer.

Let me know if I can help you out! A basic battery and charging test is free with every appointment at SoundsGood.

Sales and Installer at Certified Auto Sound
Maple Ridge, BC
orgasm_donor is offline   Reply With Quote