REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-06-2014, 11:57 AM   #1
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,907 Times in 754 Posts
High Interest TD Bank Car Loan upsets car buyer

really? they had a previous bankruptcy and now they complaining the car loan they got is too high 'interest-wise'. blame the gubberment? blame the bank? blame the dealer?...just don't blame the stupid ass buyers with bad credit.

Couple feel 'robbed' by 25% interest TD car loan - British Columbia - CBC News

COLES NOTES:
-bad credit
-need car
-labeled high risk
-pay to play bitches.

Couple feel 'robbed' by 25% interest TD car loan

A B.C. couple are speaking out about how they feel they were misled into a 25 per cent vehicle loan from TD, which has left them paying more than double the price of their car.

“We’re paying $21,000 for the loan — then $23,000 in interest,” said Angie Hauser of Kelowna. “They’re making money off of people who have no money.”

“We’ve been robbed by a bank with the help of a car dealer. I mean, that’s the only way I see it,” said her husband Enzo Gamarra.

Angie Hauser and Enzo Gamarra said the money they are now paying TD, in pure interest, eats up one quarter of Hauser's take-home pay. (CBC)

"Why would I want to pay $44,000 for a car that's now only worth $15,000?"

Hauser and Gamarra are among a growing number of Canadians without adequate credit who are being signed up for subprime bank loans by car dealerships.

"I went in willingly to get the loan, because we needed a car. But, from what I was told and what I was promised when I went in — now I feel like I've been lied to," said Hauser, who insists they were assured their interest rate could be lowered, substantially, after a year.

"It's been more than 30 months. We never missed a payment, and we still have the same car and we still have the same high interest," said Gamarra.

Banks in the business

Increasingly, Canada’s major banks are behind high-interest loans such as theirs. TD has become one of the bigger players in recent years, since acquiring car financing companies in Canada and the U.S.

Dealers typically take a cut when the financing is approved, by marking up the loan amount, or from referral fees paid by the lender.

TD says its auto finance division now has $14.3 billion in "indirect" loans brokered by dealers on its books, which is up three per cent over last year.

That money was loaned to both regular and subprime borrowers, the latter being people who don’t have adequate credit ratings to qualify for regular financing.

"Subprime" became a household term after the economic crisis of 2008, which was partly caused by defaults on high-risk mortgages in the U.S.

Hauser and Gamarra declared bankruptcy in 2010 over credit card debt. The following year, they saw a sign at a Kelowna dealership offering financing for people with bad credit.

“We wanted to get a reliable car for our family,” said Hauser.

No other financing available

She manages a beauty supply company and her husband is a courier. They have a four-year-old daughter.

At the time they got the loan, they said, their car had broken down beyond repair.

The Dodge Avenger the couple financed for $21,000 will end up costing them $44,000 if they don't get a break on the loan. (CBC)

They said they had no money saved for another car, but they needed one to get to work, so financing was their only option.

“I know it’s our fault we got into it, but it’s ridiculous. It’s like rich people getting rich off the poor,” said Hauser. “It’s a way to loan-shark, legally.”

They said Okanagan Chrysler Jeep Dodge sold them a 2010 Dodge Avenger, by promising them if they made their payments faithfully for a year, the dealer would then secure another TD loan, perhaps on a trade-in, at a much lower interest rate.

“We had to get the car they wanted … we didn’t even get to choose the car that we purchased,” said Hauser, despite their preference for a lower-priced model.

According to the customers, Okanagan Chrysler assured them they could get refinancing at a much lower rate, if they made their payments for a year. (CBC)

“We worked so hard to make these perfect payments so we could get refinanced.”

After a year, records show the couple went back to the dealership and directly to TD, asking for better terms.

They said they were shocked when they were told they still couldn’t get an affordable rate, because of their bankruptcy.

“How can you deny me refinancing when I’ve been in bankruptcy when you gave me a loan in bankruptcy? It doesn’t make sense,” said Hauser.

TD loans officer surprised

At first, Hauser said, the loan officer they met with at the local TD Canada Trust branch didn’t even believe the bank could charge 25 per cent interest.

“And then he went through the paperwork we had, and said 'I can’t believe TD did a loan like this,'” she said.

The sign outside the dealership advertises "No Problem" financing for people in bankruptcy. (CBC)

TD Auto Finance then sent a letter denying their request for refinancing.

The couple also went to another dealership, asking for a trade-in and new financing. They said that dealer arranged another loan, also from TD, at 15 per cent interest, including the dealership's cut.

The loan term was shorter, however, with higher monthly payments, so they couldn't afford that either. That left them locked into the full term of the original 25 per cent loan — a total of seven years.

“It’s grocery money, it’s money for my daughter. It’s just so stressful I can’t even explain what it does to us,” said Hauser, in tears.

She said the payments eat up one-quarter of her take-home pay.

“We are talking about a big Canadian bank. And I mean for them to do that to us … that just makes me angry,” said Gamarra.

Questions unanswered

TD refused to discuss this case, citing privacy, even though the couple were willing to give their permission.

It also refused to answer Go Public's questions when we asked how many subprime auto loans it has issued in recent years, how much money it makes from them — and how it justifies charging 25 per cent interest, particularly when there is a vehicle for collateral.

“TD Auto Finance offers a full spectrum of auto lending options, including non-prime loans in some markets,” said a statement from the bank.

“In Canada, we have a mature non-prime business … we have rigorous lending criteria and we only lend to those who fit within our risk appetite and satisfy thorough qualification criteria.”

According to Canadian Auto World magazine, subprime loans make up approximately 25 per cent of all auto loans arranged by dealerships.

If 25 per cent of TD’s $14 billion in indirect auto loans are subprime, with roughly the same terms Hauser and Gamarra have, the bank would stand to make approximately half a billion dollars a year, in interest payments alone — if all of the customers made their payments.

“I mean, not even credit cards charge that much,” said Gamarra, who said the fact they've made all their payments should count for more.

Risk low to banks

According to the Canadian Auto Dealers Association, delinquencies on all auto loans are at an all-time low.

The industry attributes that partly to relatively low monthly payments, stretched over terms as long as eight years. That also means many people owe — and pay — much more than their cars are worth.

The Canadian Banker's Association refused to answer questions about rates, but sent a statement also stressing that default levels are low.

"Banks in Canada are prudent lenders, and manage risk carefully and make sure borrowers are properly qualified and can withstand economic fluctuations," said CBA spokeswoman Kate Payne.

"Banks only lend to those who they believe can pay the money back, and the numbers back this up."

“A 25 per cent interest rate is predatory,” said Hugh MacKenzie, a Toronto-based economist and public policy consultant.

“That’s a ridiculous interest rate to be paying, particularly for a car, because a car can be repossessed if you don’t make the payments.”

He said low default rates are another reason why the high interest isn’t justified.

MacKenzie is the former chair of the Atkinson Foundation, which promotes social justice. It recently funded research — and education for shareholders — about the Canadian banks’ involvement in the subprime lending industry.

An "issue brief" from that research said, “There are significant risks, particularly for banks, of being associated with subprime lending activities leading to negative public perceptions and increased distrust of these financial institutions.”

MacKenzie said Ottawa should step in to regulate the interest rates, especially given the finance minister's expressed concern about record consumer debt levels.

“[The couple] would have gotten a cheaper loan if they had used Visa to buy the car. And yet people are complaining — and the federal government is expressing concern — about high credit card interest rates.”

Ottawa will 'monitor'

The federal Finance Department sent a statement indicating the government is not considering any action.

“The government will continue to carefully monitor the types of financial products and services available to Canadians in the marketplace, including those related to vehicle financing,” said the statement.

In the meantime, auto sales in every Canadian province increased from 2012 to 2013. The industry is attributing some of that to subprime lending.

Since Go Public got involved in the Kelowna couple’s case, Hauser said the dealership has called several times and has offered them a new loan — for a new car — at 4.99 per cent interest.

Okanagan Chrysler’s general manager declined an interview, but in a statement he said he will do what he can.

“We are willing to work with this customer and the lender to see if their rate can be improved, and shall do so, but as we do not control the rates we can only do our best,” said Clayton Andres.

Hauser, meanwhile, thinks the subprime market needs closer regulation.

“I think that the government should regulate these loans or regulate these banks and watch what they are doing a little closely. Because the banks don’t even know what’s going on with their own loans,” said Hauser.

Advertisement
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-06-2014, 12:13 PM   #2
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

brb, taking out loans and maxing out credit then blaming govt and bank.
Geoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 12:14 PM   #3
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
What kind of a moron spends $21,000 on a domestic when they have no money to begin with?

You can buy an old corolla for next to nothing and it will run forever. I have friends that bought old taxis as beaters and they have upwards of 600,000 and 700,000 kms on the original engine/tranny and still running
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-06-2014, 12:17 PM   #4
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

"I know it’s our fault we got into it"

Yes, it is.
stump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 12:17 PM   #5
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
dumb people are dumb. how's this news.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-06-2014, 12:55 PM   #6
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,491 Times in 341 Posts
haha they deserved it
Posted via RS Mobile
AVS_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:14 PM   #7
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
bad decision after bad decision :/ money management needs to be incorporated into life skills courses in grade school
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:23 PM   #8
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Simply ridiculous. The people for financing a car with that sort of interest rate and the bank/business for thinking 25% interest rate is acceptable to charge anyone. I see issues with all parties involved.
twixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:24 PM   #9

Thanked 3,242 Times in 861 Posts
And I'm sitting here complaining about my 2% loan....... shame on me.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-06-2014, 01:31 PM   #10
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
bad decision after bad decision :/ money management needs to be incorporated into life skills courses in grade school
I've always thought personal finances & investment should be a mandatory high school course.

Kind of stupid that we just let kids out into the world with no concept of this stuff. I was lucky to have good parents who could teach me, but not all parents are good teachers.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-06-2014, 01:32 PM   #11
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,789 Times in 980 Posts
Basic financial education really needs to be a mandatory highshool course.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:37 PM   #12
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
So let's get something straight; this family is broke, already declared bankruptcy, general financial turmoil. They then decide to go running to the car dealer and spend $21,000.00 on a crappy Dodge Avenger.

If they need a car for work, fine. Go buy a late nineties, early 2000's, Civic, Corolla, Camry, Accord etc. ~5,000? But NOOOOOOOO they go buy a basically new car for 21000... Hell, if it HAD to be new they could of gotten a brand new Civic for 6k cheaper. Idiots.

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:39 PM   #13
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twixxer View Post
Simply ridiculous. and the bank/business for thinking 25% interest rate is acceptable to charge anyone. I see issues with all parties involved.
credit cards charge 20% to people with normal credit and department stores cards up to 30%!
this couple has bad credit, that rate of 25% really isn't surprising
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:42 PM   #14

Thanked 3,242 Times in 861 Posts
I see people my age (early 20's), have a LOT of debt. Several in my family. It always bothered me that they just didn't have a grasp of basic financial knowledge..... not sure if its because I work in financial services or just because it feel like it should be common knowledge.....
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman View Post
I see people my age (early 20's), have a LOT of debt. Several in my family. It always bothered me that they just didn't have a grasp of basic financial knowledge..... not sure if its because I work in financial services or just because it feel like it should be common knowledge.....
I know of a few people who are EARLY twenties and owe obscene amounts on their credit card... I'm talking 20+k. What a way to have a financial ball and chain for the rest of your life.

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
Old 01-06-2014, 02:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dared3vil0 View Post
I know of a few people who are EARLY twenties and owe obscene amounts on their credit card... I'm talking 20+k. What a way to have a financial ball and chain for the rest of your life.
Does student loans count?

BlAh~
LC21 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-06-2014, 02:16 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC21 View Post
Does student loans count?
Student loans are you trying to better yourself (Unless you're getting an arts/philosiphy degree, then it's the same debt as credit card debt ) if you have to borrow money today to get the education/training you need to improve your quality of life, then it's "good" debt (technically there isn't such a thing, maybe i'll call it "better" debt) but if it's dropping 500 bucks every friday night at the club debt, then... well... Yeaaaah...

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
This post thanked by:
Old 01-06-2014, 02:21 PM   #18
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,207 Times in 432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
conspiracy to keep the rich richer, CiC should chime in
dachinesedude is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-06-2014, 02:23 PM   #19
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,907 Times in 754 Posts
I see TD deals with similar cases like this on their support forum

http://www.td.com/to-our-customers/t...Cvid=a02226378
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:45 PM   #20
Da Vinci's real masterpiece: The Mona Diesel

The true crime here is that CBC decided this was a news worthy story to report.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:01 PM   #21
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
The moral of this story isn't really about the old bad debt, it's about knowing what you're signing up for and knowing how credit works.

Kudos to the couple for making 30 months of perfect payments on the car, but that's not going to wipe your bankruptcy mark clean after 2.5 years.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-06-2014, 03:10 PM   #22
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
It's unfortunate that dealers convince clients to sign high interest loans with the promise that in 1 year(or whatever time period) they can renegotiate for a lower rate. That's all bullshit. Why would a lender want give up it's profit just because you made 12 payments on time? Dealers pray on people like this. Making all these promises then when called on it they're throwing their hands up saying that they don't have any control over the deal thus throwing TD under the bus. It's not TD's fault. They're starring at a car that's overpriced and a high risk client. Giving them a prime rate when clearly they are a sub-prime client is just bad business. Having the car dealers as the middle man between the customer and the lender is the problem. Always has been, always will be.

Last edited by white rocket; 01-06-2014 at 03:15 PM.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:10 PM   #23
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

what's wrong with an early 2000's civic for $3000??

people like this shouldn't be allowed to breed
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-06-2014, 03:18 PM   #24
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Were they NOT told about the High Interest rate percentage when they SIGNED up?

Its all in black and white ink.. Im not sure how they can have a case.. lmao... I guess they need to go back to school and learn about Interest rate...
Old 01-06-2014, 03:22 PM   #25

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Post from one of the CBC Mods regarding why they published this.
Quote:
KathyTomlinson
Mod
@Another concerned citizen
We did this story because of what this couple claims they were promised by the dealership - a much lower rate after a year. If it were simply a deal they fully agreed to (seven years at 25 percent) we would have not done the story.
We have since heard from many other people who say they were misled by the same promise by various dealerships - also with high interest loans from TD.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: