REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-10-2014, 01:46 PM   #76
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bastardo View Post
Disagree. I come from a small town where transit service ran twice a day. A car was a necessity unless you lived in the urban area itself, and even then you could be walking a half hour or so across town to get to work. In the summer, not such a big deal, but we know how wet B.C. is when its not August or September. Couple that with having children and taking them with you to run errands if you can't afford a sitter, and extended trips by foot (where transit is not an option) are a real problem.
There IS a real need for a car at times. Just not a brand new one.
May disagree, but before the car was invented the world still rotated and people still worked.
I came from Penticton and there was a very limited transit system there. Did a lot of walking, but still worked just fine. It may mean that to get to work by 8am you may need to leave by 5am to get there but such is life.

Every one of these people that are complaining about the rates are people who have made very poor choices with there money or in life and have caused themselves hardship. Now they make ANOTHER poor decision by buying a car that is far out of there price range because they want one.

You can get a car for $500 or less these days, ride sharing, ask a friend, and all other kinds of ways to get a mode of transport to get around. May not be flashy or nice but it will work.
Advertisement
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-10-2014, 05:46 PM   #77
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBB6 View Post
You can get a car for $500 or less these days, ride sharing, ask a friend, and all other kinds of ways to get a mode of transport to get around. May not be flashy or nice but it will work.
100% agree. I had a 87 Chevette about 10 years ago that I drove 200km a day round trip to work and back. It served me well, cost me $300, and I got the same $300 when I sold it when I was done with it.

If your car is a money dump, take a look at how much you're pouring into it. If you need to, pick up another car instead of spending gobs of money on something that was clearly unreliable from jump.
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-11-2014, 12:25 AM   #78
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

you guys need to realize that in some provinces (alberta) car = job.

Believe me I'm learning that the haaaaaaaaard way.
meowjinboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 03:13 PM   #79
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,025 Posts
I think a possible end result from this, if it gets big enough, would be Canada changing the laws regarding sub prime car loans.

After that, they just screwed themselves out of even a possibility of getting a car loan with their credit and can forget about buying a car.

Also from experience, it seems like it may be true that banks may find it "not worth the hassle" for a loan that's too small. When I bought my Mazdaspeed3, I went to TD for finance. I wanted a $5k loan at first and they gave me a 16% loan rate. I thought, what the hell, that can't be right. Even the lady helping me at the bank thought it was absurd. I increased the loan amount to $8k and it returned a 5.5% interest rate. It makes no sense as I just paid the extra $3k off right away.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 03:32 PM   #80
2-Wheelin' Mod

EvoFire ... I agree with you completely, the best case outcome for the people complaining is legislation that will ban subprime car loans. And guess what? The people that previously managed to secure a subprime loan will no longer be able to secure a loan at all. Ultimately, that's probably the best case for the state of the nation but these people need to be careful what they complain about...