REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-18-2019, 03:57 AM   #251
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
fontana speedway pace car lowered on 19" HRE wheels:

Advertisement
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-18-2019, 05:01 AM   #252
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
i'm starting to think the front end looks like those Vader bodykits from the rice rocket days....use to be all the hyped in Sweden and it looked like trash with horn type things coming out the front...Haha
Old 03-18-2019, 12:19 PM   #253
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
I don’t understand all the hate for the new Supra. Sure it’s not the ideal follow up from the previous all mighty legendary Supra. I actually don’t hate on it because it is based on a z4. In this new world of electric boring crossovers, I am happy we have a pretty good looking decent powered Toyota sports car. I will probably get a used one in a few years.
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-18-2019, 01:45 PM   #254
I don't get it

The thing that irritates me about it the most is that they are selling it as a special car. It seems like a good car, but if it's basically a hard top Z4 then it's not really a special car. A good one perhaps, but not all the special.

If they sold it with an engine from an M3 and added some slightly more exciting aero then I would consider taking a look at one.

I remember when they reviewed the Supra MK IV on top gear. I think it was Tiff Needell that said the Supra was a 'Super' car but not a 'Super Car'. The MK V seems like a fun car, but not super nevermind a 'Super Car'.
Dbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:51 PM   #255
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Colour and option and pricing https://www.motor1.com/news/314002/t...ions-revealed/
Whatheshrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 11:47 PM   #256
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3guy View Post
I don’t understand all the hate for the new Supra. Sure it’s not the ideal follow up from the previous all mighty legendary Supra. I actually don’t hate on it because it is based on a z4. In this new world of electric boring crossovers, I am happy we have a pretty good looking decent powered Toyota sports car. I will probably get a used one in a few years.
You said it. That's the reason people hate it.

Honestly 95% of the hate wouldn't exist if they don't call it Supra.

UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2019, 07:59 AM   #257
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,815 Times in 3,329 Posts
I think they should've stuck with the FT-1 monkier.

13' Nissan DBA-R35 GT-R Black Ed - Black met. - "Sophia"

00' Acura 1.6EL - // Power of dreams Project - "Unity"

02' Nissan M35 Stagea - "Wynn"

91' Honda EF Civic CX - "Xander"

- The Drinker of Many Many Coffees @ McLaren Vancouver
tofu1413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:22 AM   #258
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
^ hey tofu, call me in a few years when you get one on a trade in....I will trade in my M2 for it.....
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:41 AM   #259

Quote:
^ hey tofu, call me in a few years when you get one on a trade in....I will trade in my M2 for it.....
Z4.... or supra? or.... Zupr4??

(graft a Z4 front end, and itll look like a proper BMW Z Coupe)

This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2019, 11:14 AM   #260
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,859 Times in 254 Posts
Quote:
I don't understand the hate either, I like the new Supra and what Toyota meant for it. It may be a huge departure from the old Supra in terms of positioning but it doesn't make it any less a great sports car. The entire BMW/Toyota partnership is mistaken, this isn't a re-badged Z4.

People moan about sharing platform but remember as good as the A80 was, it was sharing a platform with the Soarer due to corporate economics at the time. This time around it shared with a Z4 which BMW would have never brought back had it not for the partnership which means this platform is solely dedicated as a sporting platform from the ground up with equal input from both sides from the beginning.

This is no FRS/BRZ or Miata/124 Spyder.
JoshuaWong is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-30-2019, 06:13 PM   #261
Witness protection

"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
Old 03-30-2019, 06:20 PM   #262
Witness protection

and then the bmw gods strike back....

Old 08-12-2019, 09:53 PM   #263
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
Old 08-13-2019, 07:56 AM   #264

B58 has been out for a few years... don't see the hype behind it

This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2019, 08:19 AM   #265
Witness protection

Exclusive: Manual-Equipped Toyota Supra Is Finally Coming... But is it from Toyota?

https://carbuzz.com/news/exclusive-m...finally-coming

Quote:
Exclusive: Manual-Equipped Toyota Supra Is Finally Coming
BY JARED ROSENHOLTZ SCOOP
But is it from Toyota?

No matter how many people cry out on the internet saying the 2020 Toyota Supra should have a manual transmission option, it looks like Toyota has decided to leave the ZF eight-speed automatic as the lone gearbox. This means there will not be a manual MKV Supra, at least not from Toyota. Enter European Auto Group, the Texas-based tuning shop known best for building the world's only Ferrari 430 Scuderia with a gated manual transmission. EAG is also working on building the world's first Ferrari 458 manual and now will turn their sights on the new 2020 Toyota Supra.

That's right, EAG owner Art Bartosik has told CarBuzz in an exclusive interview that the first MKV Supra manual swap is currently underway and "we are now taking customer deposits." All those people who said they'd buy the Supra if it came with a manual can finally stop their crying because EAG is ready to answer their prayers.

Bartosik says the swap will cost "around $12,000 for parts and labor" and will take "between 30 to 45 days to complete." Pre-orders are now open for $6,000 and you can call EAG to arrange to have your car shipped to Texas. Once completed, owners will have a unique car that should undoubtedly be sought after by enthusiasts. EAG will use all BMW OEM parts, meaning the transmission should be perfectly suited to the Supra's B58 BMW-sourced engine. Bartosik says EAG will also partner with ProTuning Freaks, a Canada-based BMW tuner, to offer a power increase alongside the manual swap.

The tuned car is expected to produce around 420 to 430 horsepower to the wheels, which is a healthy increase from the stock car's 335 hp rating. Bartosik says he is thrilled to partner with ProTurning Freaks because he's owned several BMW cars tuned by them in the past and he has "put over 40,000 miles on them with no issues."

As for the warranty, this swap will likelyvoid Toyota's warranty (at least partially) but Bartosik says EAG is looking into a four-year/50,000-mile warranty to cover all of the cars. In addition to the manual swaps, EAG will offer an entire catalog for the MKV Supra including "an aero kit, carbon fiber roof, and mirror caps, wheels, suspension modifications, and exhaust."

We also asked Bartosik which shifter he plans to use for the manual Supra and he said "I really like the one from the GR concept car," in reference to the hybrid Toyota GR HV Sports concept. "We want the shifter to have a flip-up design, just like the concept, with the button underneath programmed to activate Sport Mode."

If you want to get an up-close look at the car, EAG will have a booth at this year's SEMA show in Las Vegas in November. For more information about ordering a manual Supra, visit EAG's website and their GatedSix website, for more information about other manual swaps like the Ferrari 430, 458, and 599.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2019, 08:46 AM   #266

how about no to the electronic stick shift.

yes to a good old Getrag 6MT.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:02 PM   #267
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Pretty sure 340i and 240i stuff bolts up
toyota86 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2019, 09:15 PM   #268
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,753 Times in 3,868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
Toyota just released the updated exterior and interior FT1 for Pebble Beach. Looks quite good also it would share powertrain with the next BMW Z4. So I think it is likely it will have torque filling tech like i8 etc. I don't know how they would price it though.. the i8 is not exactly expensive, 130k.

I love the simplistic interior.. no huge LCD to distract driver while driving in the dark.

More pics here.
Quote from 2014. This should have been the car we got
Old 08-14-2019, 06:25 AM   #269
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
Quote from 2014. This should have been the car we got
it's just another case of a car company over promising and under delivering. SuperSpeedersRob on youtube bought one for his rental fleet and he made a video about his feelings on it.

Like him, I really haven't been following anything about it (outside of this thread) so sorry if you've already seen reviews about the car.
Koflach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 08:27 AM   #270
Witness protection

there was another video after this one saying no one is renting it
This post thanked by:
Old 08-23-2019, 10:08 PM   #271
RS controls my life!

Thanked 2,003 Times in 216 Posts

prelude_prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 01:01 AM   #272
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
Pretty sure 340i and 240i stuff bolts up
Someone posted a Jalopnik article about all the guts needed to make the swap happen. I foresee this happening very soon by people that want to manual.

https://jalopnik.com/what-it-would-t...-ma-1832173633

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-24-2019, 08:39 AM   #273
I STILL don't get it

^ That's pretty cool to see that a manual swap should be possible as a direct bolt on, no customization. Like the article said, once tuners get some of these cars and remap the software you should be able to buy the maps/software, order the parts list and spend a weekend in the garage removing everything and bolting everything up relatively easy. The next question is, where are the weak points of the manual gear box? Will syncro's blow out, which gears will be weaker, what kind of custom gearing will be recommended/created etc.
prudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 08:52 AM   #274
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,803 Times in 3,899 Posts
how much is a direct bolt-on manual swap?

8k+ easily? you have to touch the firewall
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 12:03 PM   #275
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,009 Times in 1,889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
how much is a direct bolt-on manual swap?

8k+ easily? you have to touch the firewall
No one has done it yet but gonna guess at least $10k+ USD at least if you buy brand new OEM parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote