REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:54 PM   #101
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnly1000 View Post
Russian President Putin orders troops engaged in military exercises to return to their bases. Via @Reuters
Russia's Putin orders troops in military exercise back to base | Reuters

All those troops were in Russia. Russia still has lots of troops in the Ukraine.
Advertisement
Old 03-06-2014, 02:09 PM   #102
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,908 Times in 755 Posts
with this new development whereas Crimea has decided to join the Russian Federation... things are gonna heat up!

Kiev, Ukraine (CNN) -- We're leaving. No, you're not.

That's where the crisis in Ukraine stood Thursday after lawmakers in Crimea voted in favor of leaving the country for Russia and putting it to a regional vote in 10 days.

It's an act that drew widespread condemnation, with Ukrainian interim Prime Minister Arseniy Yatsenyuk calling the effort to hold such a referendum "an illegitimate decision."

"Crimea was, is and will be an integral part of Ukraine," he said.

It was a sentiment echoed by a number of world leaders, with U.S. President Barack Obama calling the proposed referendum a violation of international law.

"Any discussion about the future of Ukraine must include the legitimate government of Ukraine," Obama said in a brief statement from the White House on Thursday. "In 2014, we are well beyond the days when borders can be redrawn over the heads of democratic leaders."

It's not clear how easily the region could split off from Ukraine even if the referendum endorses the move.
Acura604 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:39 PM   #103
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,298 Times in 2,510 Posts
I'm a fan and believer in self determination. If the Crimean people vote in favour of leaving Ukraine and joining Russia instead through the referendum, I personally don't see why the Ukraine government in Kiev should persuade them to stay. There is just no point. It's kind of like how Scotland is planning for a vote / referendum to see if they should stay in the UK. If it is the people's wish to want out, just let them go.

The only thing is, if separation is to occur, I think both the main Ukraine government and the Crimea government should make arrangements to accommodate those Crimeans that wish to stay as Ukrainians instead of becoming Russians.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-06-2014, 02:47 PM   #104
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
I'm a fan and believer in self determination. If the Crimean people vote in favour of leaving Ukraine and joining Russia instead through the referendum, I personally don't see why the Ukraine government in Kiev should persuade them to stay. There is just no point. It's kind of like how Scotland is planning for a vote / referendum to see if they should stay in the UK. If it is the people's wish to want out, just let them go.

The only thing is, if separation is to occur, I think both the main Ukraine government and the Crimea government should make arrangements to accommodate those Crimeans that wish to stay as Ukrainians instead of becoming Russians.
I love to see what happens if Quebec were to do the same.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:53 PM   #105
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
what made me is CNN had a segment with senators/governors dissing Russia for being hypocrites because they were against the Us invading countries without the UNs backing how do they even have the gall to make such a comparison
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:57 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
I love to see what happens if Quebec were to do the same.
I hesitated to include Quebec as an example because IMO, the pro-separatist little twerps in Quebec lead by Marois are only exploiting the separatist ideal to milk Ottawa for all it is worth. Only Ottawa is stupid enough to repeatedly cater to their temper tantrums. If the PM (whoever he may be, depending on how every election results) has any brains, he would have done what the UK PM, David Cameron, did and allow Quebec to proceed with a legally recognized and binding referendum.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:02 PM   #107
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
Crimea is an autonomous country, similar to Palestine which is technically located on Israel's territory. Western media is reporting that Crimea is a part of the Ukraine, which is simply not true. Crimea has its own constitution and it's own government. If the people vote to join Russia, there's nothing illegitimate about it.

The situation can't be compared to Quebec since it's a part of Canada, not an autonomous country.

The main reason why the US doesn't want Russia to control Crimea, is because of the Black Sea naval base. Controlling that naval base would mean direct access to the Black Sea, which the US sees as a threat.

A car can be only 2 out of the 3.
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:09 PM   #108

^^ And that is why the comparison to Scotland is especially appropriate.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:45 PM   #109
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Great explanation of the situation here, including history and a look at the current situation from 2 different narratives:

SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:25 PM   #110
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Great explanation of the situation here, including history and a look at the current situation from 2 different narratives:

Understanding Ukraine: The Problems Today and Some Historical Context - YouTube
On a side note - John (host/narator) is awesome. The Crash Course Channel where I saw him narrate is addicting.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:26 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by will068 View Post
On a side note - John (host/narator) is awesome. The Crash Course Channel where I saw him narrate is addicting.
Word. I watched the entire World History and US History series.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:23 PM   #112
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Prepare for war ?at any moment,? Ukrainian president warns after Putin sends 8,500 soldiers, 270 tanks to border | National Post

Ukraine must be ready for a full-scale Russian invasion “at any moment,” the country’s acting president warned Thursday, as officials announced the emergency call-up of a 60,000-strong national guard force.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:06 PM   #113
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
Russian troops invade Kherson Oblast, Ukrainians declare right to fight back

rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:33 PM   #114
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsx View Post

Without the help of the UN OR Europe or the US army they don't really stand a chance.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:08 AM   #115

So Russia has annexed Crimea from Ukraine

Does this mean they will leave Ukraine alone now?
Old 03-18-2014, 08:17 AM   #116

ukraine will probably do something stupid to entice an invasion

or ukraine will gain entrance to the EU/NATO pronto and Russia will back off
Old 03-18-2014, 08:31 AM   #117

It's still pretty funny how the media fails to report the fact that Crimea is an autonomous nation with it's own constitution. If they choose to join another country, that is their decision. Crimea was always a part of Russia for hundred's of years, which is why the majority of the population there is Russian. RUssia is simply getting back territory which was always theirs. Gotta love the media

This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-18-2014, 08:36 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
It's still pretty funny how the media fails to report the fact that Crimea is an autonomous nation with it's own constitution. If they choose to join another country, that is their decision. Crimea was always a part of Russia for hundred's of years, which is why the majority of the population there is Russian. RUssia is simply getting back territory which was always theirs. Gotta love the media
If you knew more about what you're talking about, you probably wouldn't be so outraged at "the media"
Old 03-18-2014, 08:37 AM   #119

Quote:
If you knew more about what you're talking about, you probably wouldn't be so outraged at "the media"
Ah well considering I was born and raised in Russia and studied Russian history I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. Thanks for the tip though

Old 03-18-2014, 08:40 AM   #120

Quote:
Ah well considering I was born and raised in Russia and studied Russian history I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. Thanks for the tip though
This guy
Old 03-18-2014, 08:43 AM   #121

Quote:
Crimea was always a part of Russia... RUssia is simply getting back territory which was always theirs.
no...just no

Western media being a joke? sure i get that, the US wagging its finger as a joke? sure i get that too
But Russia invading Crimea and holding a mock vote is also a joke
Old 03-18-2014, 03:50 PM   #122

So now Turkey is stepping in saying Crimea should be returned to them? They are citing a treaty from the Ottoman Empire

This might be a way of getting NATO involved

(so much for Crimea being "always a part of Russia" by the guy who "studied Russian history" Try studying world history, and you might get the non-propaganda version of what is really going on )
Old 03-18-2014, 03:54 PM   #123
I subscribe to Revscene

It should be returned to Turkey because the population speaks Turkish.
jasonturbo & westopher in the election thread
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8668948
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8667115
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 03:59 PM   #124

Quote:
So now Turkey is stepping in saying Crimea should be returned to them? They are citing a treaty from the Ottoman Empire

This might be a way of getting NATO involved

(so much for Crimea being "always a part of Russia" by the guy who "studied Russian history" Try studying world history, and you might get the non-propaganda version of what is really going on )
"According to the agreement, signed by the the Russian empress Catherine the Great on April 19, 1783, the Crimean peninsula will pass from the Ottoman empire to the Russian empire."

Crimea has been a part of the Russian empire since 1783. In the context of modern history, 200+ years is considered "always"

Old 03-18-2014, 04:03 PM   #125

Quote:
"According to the agreement, signed by the the Russian empress Catherine the Great on April 19, 1783, the Crimean peninsula will pass from the Ottoman empire to the Russian empire."

Crimea has been a part of the Russian empire since 1783. In the context of modern history, 200+ years is considered "always"
“However, one of the most important points is the clause that stipulates conditions that if the peninsula does not declare its independence then it cannot be transferred to a third party. Otherwise, Crimea must automatically be returned under the aegis of Turkey,”

Not sure where you come up with 200 years being "always" but no