REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Audio, Video, & Security Tech

Audio, Video, & Security Tech This forum is brought to you by Sounds Good Auto in Coquitlam and Burnaby.

Enter SPL Competitions, display your Setups, DIY Projects

Old 01-31-2014, 07:21 PM   #1
Ye olde moderator

Thanked 1,278 Times in 390 Posts
Futureshop/Bestbuy layoffs

TORONTO - Best Buy Canada says about 950 full-time employees will be laid off as the company reworks its operations to reduce layers of management and combine some of its sales departments.

The electronics retailer says the job cuts will affect both its Best Buy and Future Shop stores across Canada.

Best Buy says the changes do not include any store closures.

Retailers have been grappling with a number of new competitors in Canada over the past year, including the arrival of Target and a more aggressive rollout of Walmart supercentres.

Best Buy has also spent more effort on boosting sales through its websites.

The company has 265 locations across the country, which include its Best Buy Mobile and Future Shop brands.

Best Buy Canada, Future Shop Layoffs To Hit 950

From what I have been hearing, most of the junior installers were laid off while install managers got to keep their jobs. Tough times, tough times....
Advertisement

Sales and Installer at Certified Auto Sound
Maple Ridge, BC
orgasm_donor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:11 PM   #2
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
My sister's fiance was laid off yesterday. He was a floor manager with 7 years. Crazy news. So unfortunate, but with more people opting to buy online nowadays it was almost natural for this to happen.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:32 PM   #3
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
have you guys noticed Best Buy is selling everything now. Everything includes bath items, vitamins, furniture..

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:11 PM   #4

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
Not surprised about the layoffs.

After Christmas, its dead as fuck
Old 01-31-2014, 10:23 PM   #5
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

I wanted to support the Best Buy near my house, I went a few times to ask them to price beat an item. They only did this once, the other times they made excuses to deny the price beat; one time they said they would match the price if I bought the extended warranty. So much easier at Memory Express.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:24 PM   #6
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

not gonna lie...i bought some moisturizers from bestbuy...
Jonydakiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:09 AM   #7
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

^ They sell moisturizers? lol...
Jaffray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:33 AM   #8
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
have you guys noticed Best Buy is selling everything now. Everything includes bath items, vitamins, furniture..
Futureshop has been doing this for years as well - everything from safety clothing, kids toys, to mattresses. People are buying more online, the same thing that is killing their retail business.
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 02:29 PM   #9
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
They did this in Nanaimo a few years back before all the ones on the Island closed down. They fire people making more then minimum wage and replace them with people making 10 bux a hour. Feel sorry for anyone who lost there job.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:10 PM   #10
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,170 Times in 2,403 Posts
The DivaCup Model 2 (348105) : Menstrual Cups - Best Buy Canada

2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-03-2014, 01:28 PM   #11
not the mod you're looking for

Thanked 1,536 Times in 556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orgasm_donor View Post

From what I have been hearing, most of the junior installers were laid off while install managers got to keep their jobs. Tough times, tough times....
I think the worst of it was when they got rid of all car audio installers in all the Best Buys across Canada in 2012. A lot of them weren't offered positions with Futureshop .
FN-2199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:52 PM   #12
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,619 Times in 378 Posts
I dont think i've bought anything in a store in 5+ years,

except clothes,

and thats only at seattle outlets,

lol
Glove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:49 PM   #13
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 2,113 Times in 421 Posts
Yeah, a lot of downsizing... all floor supervisors are gone. I'm a part-timer so they kept me lol... Its just a General manager, Assistant manager and one floor manager at all stores except the larger locations.
TopsyCrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:28 AM   #14
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,802 Times in 3,898 Posts
as much as I dislike FS/BB i hope they stick around so I can have better pricematching selections and relatively hassle-free returns

may be if the USD:CAD remains at the 0.8-0.9 level they might stay afloat for a while longer
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:30 AM   #15
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
BestBuy has been downsizing or "restructuring" for years, I was working for them 5-6 years back and had worked there for 3 years. Me and a couple of other supervisors got let go and the position wasn't filled. It's kinda known that it would happen, every year they do the same thing. In the Metrotown location right now they have two managers and no supervisors, where as 5 years ago there was 5 managers and 7 supervisors.

The whole company's going downhill and it's just a matter of time before they shut down all stores and go strictly online.
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:45 AM   #16
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,289 Times in 2,507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Aznboi128 View Post
BestBuy has been downsizing or "restructuring" for years, I was working for them 5-6 years back and had worked there for 3 years. Me and a couple of other supervisors got let go and the position wasn't filled. It's kinda known that it would happen, every year they do the same thing. In the Metrotown location right now they have two managers and no supervisors, where as 5 years ago there was 5 managers and 7 supervisors.

The whole company's going downhill and it's just a matter of time before they shut down all stores and go strictly online.
It never fails to amaze me how companies can downsize so much and continue to function. How much of an excess did they have to begin with? How crippled and dysfunctional are they now that staffing levels have been parred down so much?

In either case, things just don't seem right.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:16 AM   #17
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

bcz ncix
Recon604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:16 PM   #18
Ye olde moderator

Thanked 1,278 Times in 390 Posts
Bestbuy grew too big, too fast.....you couple that with the fact that their customer service has been getting worse over the years and it is a recipe for disaster. Online alternatives are only part of the problem according to this interesting article:

Why Best Buy is Going out of Business...Gradually - Forbes

Sales and Installer at Certified Auto Sound
Maple Ridge, BC
orgasm_donor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:15 AM   #19
RS Licensed Vendor

I used to work at Futureshop.....twice (almost 10 years apart). Once on sales floor, once as a home installer

I can vouch for the fact before they were insanely over staffed and incredibly inefficient.

I worked out of the Burnaby location, and I'd get sent to Abby or Chilliwack and then they would expect us to make it into downtown Vancouver. I'd wasted like 1/2 my day in just travelling. Didn't make sense why they didn't assign the group of installers in that area to do the install. Managers only cared about their own store numbers, but as a company it's the slowly killing them. Send me + 2 guys ($20-25+/hour each) to do a $99 installation in Chilliwack. Round trip might've taken us 4 hours. Costed the company $200+ in wages + lets not forget the gas and maintenance on the vehicle too, all for $99 installation.

Imagine that multiple times a day for years. That's just ONE location. One Department.

No wonder they're sinking fast. I was only part time and got laid off a couple years ago, all the guys I used to work with all got laid off too eventually. Looks like the layoffs are still underway.

Sad. They need to revamp their WHOLE business moto.
#8-2900 Smith St
Richmond, BC

sales@bpgautosound.com
Cman333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:29 AM   #20
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Remember Circuit City? Best Buy's going to zero just like them. The company has no identity now and getting pushed out in all fronts.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:37 AM   #21
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
Remember Circuit City? Best Buy's going to zero just like them. The company has no identity now and getting pushed out in all fronts.
they better not go bust within 2 years.. just got another phone and extended warranty thru them!
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:06 PM   #22
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,645 Times in 446 Posts
The source is is actually doing pretty well with the smaller foot print stores inside high traffic malls.
I think that needs to be their strategy... Shrink their store selection and and convenience related electronic that people don't want to wait for. The bigger stuff stick with special order and and e-commerce
Posted via RS Mobile
skiiipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:01 AM   #23
ZN6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,731 Times in 649 Posts
Can't say I'm surprised. Staff are not entirely helpful and stock of something you are looking is always questionable when you get to the store. I wanted to buy a Nexus 7 at best buy with none in stock that weren't open-boxed items. I ordered one on the play store the instant I left. 10 bucks cheaper and it's shipped to my door for free. Why would I settle for an open box item for 5 dollars cheaper that may have jizz stains all over it over getting a brand new one from the google play store that's even cheaper than an open box?

Sales staff are usually there just to open the display and pick out the box I want anyways. No wonder there are best buy vending machines at the airport. I guess Japan and Korea is way ahead in replacing the human with machine. Vending machines galore.
ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:49 AM   #24
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

i dont understand how bestbuy/futureshop can be doing so bad. It's not like they have tons of competition. When you think electronics, computers, laptops, video games, tvs, get miscellaneous things like hdmi cable, etc, you think bestbuy/futureshop. But i guess i dont really know because i was surprised when circuit city went.
lowda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-07-2014, 11:09 AM   #25
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,289 Times in 2,507 Posts
These days, the only thing that can attract me to BB/FS is price. I only seriously look at their stuff a few times a year during their big sales -- back-to-school, Black Friday / Cyber Monday, and Boxing Day. And I only buy from them when the deals are really, really good. It wasn't like that in the past, and I used to get a lot of stuff from FS.

In some ways, I see BB/FS in a similar situation as department stores of the past era. I can't quite put a finger on what is driving this behaviour, but the one-stop-shop mentality just doesn't seem to work for consumers any more. If they want audio equipment, they go to a specialty audio store. If they want cameras, they go to a camera store. If they want computers, they go to NCIX or something. Video games? EB. And then of course, there is the ever-present Internet and online shopping.

Back in the day, I remember music (CDs and the different players in assorted sizes), and movies, and tv box sets being a major part of FS' business. Their current and hit albums section was actually fairly up-to-date, and DVDs generated a lot of sales for them. Obviously, both of those markets have eroded tremendously, and there is quite simply very little a retailer such as BB/FS can do to change industry trends.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote