REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:51 PM   #1
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

First Vi

Hey guys i got my first VI, and I'm not very thrilled about it. To start it off the police officer opened my door without asking to look at my pedals. and off course they are medal with rubber grips on them. He then proceeded to say he isnt a mechanic but my steering wheel doesn't look stock so he handed me a box 2. Now where I have questions is are medal pedals illegal with rubber grips on them?? and my car came into Canada with medal pedals and a smaller steering wheel and nothing was ever said by inspections so what do I do?
Advertisement
Zyro1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-02-2014, 10:46 PM   #2
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 6,994 Times in 1,884 Posts
First of all, what car? I know some cars that have metal pedals from the factory so I don't see how it could be an issue.

As for the steering wheel, if the car originally had airbags and the one in your car right now doesn't, I'm pretty sure that it would be grounds to fail a VI. Not sure about non-equipped airbag being replaced with an aftermarket wheel.

Again, my answers may not be 100% correct but I doubt I'm that far off. You can find a list of things they'll check (everything pretty much) during a VI around the web.
Posted via RS Mobile
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:57 PM   #3
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

I think the size of the steering wheel has something to do with it also.
kleensleper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:11 PM   #4
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
never heard of pedals getting a VI maybe he just used that as a gauge of how modded your car is ...

steering wheel yes, anytime you replace an airbag wheel with non-airbag aftermarket = VI if caught
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:16 PM   #5

Its a 1992 toyota soarer. my steering wheel is 36cm and stock is 40cm.... and soarer's never came with airbags in that year from what i have found.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:19 PM   #6

From what it seems the cop was just being a complete ass ( nothing against the police)... everything I have is legal... im going to be calling his superintendent and explain to him whats going on.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:18 AM   #7
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Your steering wheel was smaller than stock and that is not legal. Nothing about METAL pedals that I'm aware of. There may possibly have been other things different about your car. If it was JDM import then all lights,reflectors etc must be genuine DOT standard and JDM imports often are not. As far as it being legal just because whoever inspected it gave it the sticker...many of the JDM imports are being inspected & passed by the people selling them and it costs money to convert them. I ran across many that were defective but still got passsed.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-03-2014, 08:00 AM   #8
Rs has made me the man i am today!

IF they are the aftermarket clip on style pedals (clip onto your stock pedals with bendable metal tabs) then they are sketch and shouldn't pass a proper inspection. Officer's don't need permission to inspect your car, inside and out, for road worthiness, however it goes a long way to be polite about it and explain what he/she is doing.
ninjatune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:07 AM   #9
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Steering wheel rule for non-airbag equipped cars is that you can replace your steering wheel as long as it isn't being replaced by a smaller one, which basically then just makes you wonder what's the point of legally replacing your steering wheel if you can't go smaller.

I think same rule applies for airbag equipped cars as long as the replacement steering wheel has a working airbag as well, but not sure about that.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:01 AM   #10
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
all lights,reflectors etc must be genuine DOT standard and JDM imports often are not.
From the 2009 Vehicle Lighting Protocol it does say Japanese lights are okay. As long as they are originally installed.

It goes DOT-> ECE-> JDM-> CMVSS or FMVSS approved-> Fail

This should be in the 2010 Vehicle inspection handbook as well.
rriggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:12 AM   #11
Need my Daily Fix of RS

lul cops being

let me guess you got the VI in richmond?
123654123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:51 PM   #12

I got the VI on my way home from chiliwack. I live in abby. I also got nailed with a speeding ticket at 1.30am doing 19 over. I talked to the shop that I will be bringing my car to and he said the cop was just being an ass, Everything in my car is legal. Metal pedals ARE LEGAL IN BC, my steering wheel is legal because stock size was 40cm and did not come with an airbag. My current wheel is 36cm, i will be filing a complaint with the RCMP. On a side note does an officer need permisson to open youre door? because he opened mine without asking...
Old 02-04-2014, 12:09 AM   #13
no

Thanked 6,058 Times in 1,222 Posts
I don't think its the size of the steering wheel that was the culprit of the VI, but the fact that its whether DOT approved or not.
Basically, most aftermarket parts -> NOT DOT Approved -> therefore illegal

its bs, but w.e, hope you get everything figured out
jpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:50 AM   #14
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,133 Times in 309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyro1214 View Post
i will be filing a complaint with the RCMP

Please make sure to let us know how that goes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ymbnh.jpg (28.3 KB, 0 views)
Babykiller - And next to that, there's a little dot called a period. It's not the stuff you eat out of your sisters gash, it's a handy little tool for breaking up sentences so they don't look like nonsensical retard garbage.
Brianrietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:54 AM   #15
RS Peace Officer

Quote:
I got the VI on my way home from chiliwack. I live in abby. I also got nailed with a speeding ticket at 1.30am doing 19 over. I talked to the shop that I will be bringing my car to and he said the cop was just being an ass, Everything in my car is legal. Metal pedals ARE LEGAL IN BC, my steering wheel is legal because stock size was 40cm and did not come with an airbag. My current wheel is 36cm, i will be filing a complaint with the RCMP. On a side note does an officer need permisson to open youre door? because he opened mine without asking...

I no longer have access to the Provincial inspection manual but you could take a look at one at any inspection station. The MV Act Regs say that.

Steering mechanism

Steering wheels shall be of substantially the same size, shape and strength as the steering wheel supplied by the manufacturer of the motor vehicle.

It will be up to an inspector to decide if your aftermarket wheel meets that standard.

Police are designated as Inspectors and have the authority to inspect your vehicle at roadside and/or order it to an inspection station for a full inspection.

I have no idea what grounds you are going to use to complain? Based only on what you have posted here....you were stopped for doing 19k over the limit, you had an aftermarket steering wheel that was smaller than stock and did not appear to meet the above standard. Instead of a VT for that, you were ordered to make a full provincial inspection within 30 days. We have no way of knowing if there were any other things that did not appear to conform to the MV Regs? I folund that many JDM imports had NOT been legally inspected and many were done by the very people selling them. Maybe this has also been the experience of the Police who stopped you? I found many with illegal aftermarket HID conversion kits, sub standard lights & reflectors and other similar non-compliant equipment. All had the inspection sticker on the windshield. I have a JDM import of my own and I know what I had done to make it legal. My dealer had it sent to another mechanic to be updated and a second garage to be inspected.

My own personal rule was that I would order an inspection if I found 3 or more visible defects. If you were driving a JDM car then possibly there were other concerns as well that maybe you were not aware of?

Last edited by zulutango; 02-04-2014 at 07:04 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-04-2014, 09:30 AM   #16
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Pics of your JDM import?
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 02-04-2014, 10:55 AM   #17
RS Peace Officer

Iona snaps 024.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_ View Post
Pics of your JDM import?
Posted via RS Mobile
As requested.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:25 PM   #18
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Missing the front of your TOP
ninjatune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:25 PM   #19
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Judging from your previous posts, I would have never thought you'd be driving that

Totally high jacking and sorry OP but zulu, what's your take on yellow tinted fogs or just yellow bulbs in general?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
Old 02-05-2014, 07:38 PM   #20
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
Steering wheels shall be of substantially the same size, shape and strength as the steering wheel supplied by the manufacturer of the motor vehicle.

It will be up to an inspector to decide if your aftermarket wheel meets that standard.
It's a bit a leap from "exactly" the same size to "substantially" the same size - a 4cm difference in diameter doesn't seem a very substantial change, certainly not enough that a cop could have glanced at it and thought, "Hmmm, that 36cm wheel is a helluva lot smaller than the 40cm stock wheel..."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:08 PM   #21
RS Peace Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatune View Post
Missing the front of your TOP

I had just arrived home with it from the dealer and started to remove stuff before spending a couple of days cleaning it. Front part was there but I had removed it while cleaning the windshield and other glass. Eventually did rest of inside & removed the rear TOP as well.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:12 PM   #22
RS Peace Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_ View Post
Judging from your previous posts, I would have never thought you'd be driving that

You never know who is driving what. This is my 5th "original Mini, plus my JCW MCS. I Used to get stoplight drag requests when I had my JCW MCS. They usually ended rather quickly when I flashed my badge. This one has the 1275 SPI engine and a pretty decent power to weight ratio.

Totally high jacking and sorry OP but zulu, what's your take on yellow tinted fogs or just yellow bulbs in general?
Having spent 13 years driving in real fog on the east coast of Nfld, I am a firm believer in genuine fog lights with yellow lenses/bulbs. Anything else is just poser bling if you really want to be able to see in real fog. Blinding white light does not make it easier to see in fog.

Last edited by zulutango; 02-05-2014 at 08:22 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-05-2014, 08:13 PM   #23
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,615 Times in 574 Posts
Quote:
From what it seems the cop was just being a complete ass ( nothing against the police)... everything I have is legal... im going to be calling his superintendent and explain to him whats going on.
Quote:
T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:19 PM   #24
RS Peace Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
It's a bit a leap from "exactly" the same size to "substantially" the same size - a 4cm difference in diameter doesn't seem a very substantial change, certainly not enough that a cop could have glanced at it and thought, "Hmmm, that 36cm wheel is a helluva lot smaller than the 40cm stock wheel..."
We have no idea of what took place in the stop, only what the Op tells us, nor do we know what the rest of the vehicle or the steering wheel looked like. As I said, the determination of legality will come from an honest vehicle inspection. I think you might agree that there is the slimmest of possibilities that there may be more to this story than told us in a couple of lines here? After all...this IS RS.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:16 PM   #25

The shop i talked to said the wheel and pedals are fine. The car goes in for inspection on friday and i know i'll pass. Also i drive a 1992 soarer. The guy before me put the lexus decals on.... they are coming off this spring.1509193_10153582446040478_1185299250_n.jpg