REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:00 PM   #1
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
vancouver keepin it classy...crack pipe vending machines

crack pipe vending machine

Quote:
They used to dispense sandwiches and candies but now these vending machines spit out crack pipes.

They’re found at two locations in the Downtown Eastside, at the Drug Users Resource Centre on East Cordova and Washington Market on East Hastings.

Much like the idea of giving out free needles, it’s hoped that by offering crack pipes for 25 cents apiece it will improve health and safety on the streets of the DTES.

“We’re not quite there yet with pipes, where we are with needles,” Kailin See, director of the DUR Centre said. “But to us, it’s all the same. We need to ensure people aren’t spreading diseases, and keeping people’s mouths and bodies as healthy as possible.”

Crack pipes can cost $5 or even more on the street, depending on availability and the desperation of the smoker.

That can put people, especially women, at risk, either trading sex or drugs for pipes or just generally putting them in harm’s way, See said.

Selling the Pyrex pipes, which are safer than regular glass, at cost serves another purpose: it saturates the market, therefore acting to drive down the price on the street.

“You can come in and get as many as you need,” See said. “For us, this is a health intervention and a safety intervention, through and through.”

Just as a kit is provided with clean needles, the crack pipes come with their own paraphernalia: Push sticks, Brillo, screen, mouthpiece and alcohol swabs.

The Centre has been distributing clean needles and crack pipes for ages, but the vending machine idea is six months old.

“There’s not a lot out there for smokers, and there needs to be,” See said. “I am not a health-care professional, but as I understand you can contract (Hepatitus, HIV, herpes) by sharing a pipe, especially if you have sores in your mouth or your pipe is chipped.

“So there’s blood, or there’s saliva, bodily fluids are exchanged, there’s risk. That’s primarily why we do this

“This is all about health care and keeping people safe.”

Vancouver keepin it classy as always...
Advertisement
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:41 PM   #2
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
lace crack pipes with Ricin, everyone in DTES dies, and our homeless problems are over.
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-10-2014, 03:56 PM   #3
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Easy, Walter
Posted via RS Mobile
Kilinim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:08 PM   #4

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
In a sense, addressing an issue rather than ignoring it, could be regarded as classy.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:13 PM   #5
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Screw them crack heads.
I'm gonna buy all of them for 25 cents each and sell it to the crack heads for 10$.

All they ever do is break into people's cars and steal sh!t
LightKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:26 PM   #6
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Maybe if they can buy their crack pipes they'll be less likely to break into cars and steal shit?

Its not a perfect solution but I see it doing more good than bad.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:57 PM   #7
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
Maybe if they can buy their crack pipes they'll be less likely to break into cars and steal shit?

Well.... They'd have to break into those same cars and steal shit just to buy the crack regardless. If I were a crackhead and I had money to buy crack, or a pipe, I'd buy the crack and reuse the pipe. SAVE YOUR MONEY!....... for crack.
twstd_reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:00 PM   #8
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Sell them to the dealers.

Free pipe with purchase.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:01 PM   #9
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post

WRONG, they gonna break into cars more often now to get that damn quarter to buy that pipe, mane

tilt your head back and using your hand pretend to shake a salt shaker in your mouth... you will notice that it will actually taste like salt in your mouth..
elwell is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-10-2014, 07:26 PM   #10
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
this is the dumbest shit ever.........i guess this is the Canadian government work lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:35 PM   #11
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
The DTES is adult daycare, these cheap and safe crack pipes actually save the government money in the long term.
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-10-2014, 07:45 PM   #12
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
aren't pipes reusable? It's not like a needle that'll go dull?
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:49 PM   #13
I am Hook'd on RS

Foralark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-10-2014, 07:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by multicartual View Post
The DTES is adult daycare, these cheap and safe crack pipes actually save the government money in the long term.
Saves them money and causes you a 300$ deductable every time they smash through your passenger window to steal a plastic coffee mug, 3$ in change, and a pack of gum. But hey! It's worth it! Now they'll only have to break into 5-6 cars to get the money they need to buy the crack, not 8-10 thanks to their 25cent pipe!

Stupidest thing ever.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 02-10-2014, 08:24 PM   #15
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
Saves them money and causes you a 300$ deductable every time they smash through your passenger window to steal a plastic coffee mug, 3$ in change, and a pack of gum. But hey! It's worth it! Now they'll only have to break into 5-6 cars to get the money they need to buy the crack, not 8-10 thanks to their 25cent pipe!

Stupidest thing ever.
Posted via RS Mobile

It is the cost of freedom... if we allowed the government to "disappear" addicts and other undesirables our society would quickly turn into something out of a horror novel...

My suggestion is to simply find legal ways to profit off people's vices so you can live in a nice neighborhood as to avoid the unwashed masses!
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-10-2014, 08:36 PM   #16
I don't get it

I don't mind this idea. Their will never be an end to drug use. So lets make it safe rather than spread disease.
dvst8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:52 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by multicartual View Post
It is the cost of freedom... if we allowed the government to "disappear" addicts and other undesirables our society would quickly turn into something out of a horror novel...

My suggestion is to simply find legal ways to profit off people's vices so you can live in a nice neighborhood as to avoid the unwashed masses!
Or our society would turn into a utopia

Making pipes that easily accessible is wrong. Some teenagers walk past it, get curious, figure why not...it's only 25cents. Grab a few, walk half a block to buy some crack thinking it'll be a cool 1 time thing....bam some parents now have a crack head for a son. What if it was your son/daughter? I'm sure a LOT of us had smoked cigarets or weed, done a rail of coke, or popped some E because it was readily accessible and they figured it would be a one time thing to do for fun with friends.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 02-10-2014, 09:07 PM   #18

Thanked 2,543 Times in 840 Posts
When I was a kid, I thought weed would be the most I'd ever do...

Boy was I wrong.

Qmx323 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-10-2014, 09:35 PM   #19
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,165 Times in 7,156 Posts
Quote:

Making pipes that easily accessible is wrong. Some teenagers walk past it, get curious, figure why not...it's only 25cents. Grab a few, walk half a block to buy some crack thinking it'll be a cool 1 time thing.
Posted via RS Mobile
I've had access to empty pen tubes since I was old enough to write, but it never made me think to go find a line of coke because I had a pen tube. Making the paraphernalia is not the same as making the drug readily available.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-10-2014, 09:58 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I've had access to empty pen tubes since I was old enough to write, but it never made me think to go find a line of coke because I had a pen tube. Making the paraphernalia is not the same as making the drug readily available.

The drug is already readily available, now it's just made it even easier for someone to try for the first time since they can get a brand new never used pipe and try to use it for a 1 time deal but end up getting fucked
Old 02-10-2014, 10:02 PM   #21
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,165 Times in 7,156 Posts
You can smoke crack out of a lightbulb if you want. People didn't start doing more heroin because of the needle exchange.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-10-2014, 10:16 PM   #22

i think more people have a fear of shoving a needle into their arm than sticking a pipe in their mouth and inhaling. i like tattoo's, those don't phase me at all, but when i have to get my blood tests done i have to hold back my lip from calling the nurse a cunt lol

but oh well. i wont be buying any pipes, and for those that start to buy them to experiment, i hope they enjoy whatever comes from it, whether it be addiction, losing a job, house, etc. not my problem.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:38 PM   #23
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:

Making pipes that easily accessible is wrong. Some teenagers walk past it, get curious, figure why not...it's only 25cents. Grab a few, walk half a block to buy some crack thinking it'll be a cool 1 time thing....bam some parents now have a crack head for a son. What if it was your son/daughter? I'm sure a LOT of us had smoked cigarets or weed, done a rail of coke, or popped some E because it was readily accessible and they figured it would be a one time thing to do for fun with friends.
Posted via RS Mobile
these parents you're all worried about are fucking idiots if their kid tries crack because there's a 25cent pipe vending machine. they failed as parents and the kid is likely a delinquent at that point.
if someone has access to crack and they want to use it. a pipe vending machine will have absolutely nothing to do with their ability to use that crack.

i hope you're trolling because your posts on this subject are so ignorant it's hard for me to take you seriously.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:55 PM   #24
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:

Making pipes that easily accessible is wrong. Some teenagers walk past it, get curious, figure why not...it's only 25cents. Grab a few, walk half a block to buy some crack thinking it'll be a cool 1 time thing....bam some parents now have a crack head for a son. What if it was your son/daughter?
Posted via RS Mobile

I don't care, they aren't my problem. Focus on your own life and let the government handle that.

In life, there are winners and there are losers.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-10-2014, 11:56 PM   #25
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
It's illegal for people under 19 to buy rolling papers. I can be fined 100k foe selling to minors and lose the right to sell any tobacco products. So why should they be able to sell crack pipes to minors? And yes I know you can smoke weed using a tin can or pages from the bible. It's B.S. that legal business have to follow the rules but anything goes in the DTES