REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Bylaw offence notice (https://www.revscene.net/forums/692992-bylaw-offence-notice.html)

kwy 02-20-2014 01:23 PM

Bylaw offence notice

I know this may not strictly be related to the police, but I'm hoping someone in here can help out with a quick question.

Received a bylaw offence notice ticket for failure to display valid license plate - I forgot to put the new insurance sticker on. The insurance is valid.

If it matters, the officer also recorded the make, model, and colour of the car incorrectly.

Will I be able to successfully dispute the ticket?

Thanks

bcedhk 02-20-2014 01:47 PM

is a mistake you did, so why dispute it.

Just pay the $49 or whatever fee the city charge.

ancient_510 02-21-2014 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwy (Post 8420711)
Received a bylaw offence notice ticket for failure to display valid license plate - I forgot to put the new insurance sticker on. The insurance is valid.

If it matters, the officer also recorded the make, model, and colour of the car incorrectly.

Did they just spell "Honda" as "Honder" and put "Gray" instead of "Grey" because that doesn't count.

But have a look at the muni by-law that you actually violated and see if it specifically states valid insurance decal in the section you were cited for or if it's strictly plate only mentioned.

320icar 02-21-2014 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eddy89 (Post 8420722)
is a mistake you did, so why dispute it.

Just pay the $49 or whatever fee the city charge.

Thank you. Feels like the last two weeks RS is just people trying to get a get out if jail free card
Posted via RS Mobile

zulutango 02-21-2014 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 320icar (Post 8421170)
Thank you. Feels like the last two weeks RS is just people trying to get a get out if jail free card
Posted via RS Mobile

"For the last 2 weeks....."...how about for the last 7 years...:accepted:

kwy 02-21-2014 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ancient_510 (Post 8421165)
Did they just spell "Honda" as "Honder" and put "Gray" instead of "Grey" because that doesn't count.

But have a look at the muni by-law that you actually violated and see if it specifically states valid insurance decal in the section you were cited for or if it's strictly plate only mentioned.

Its a silver Infiniti g35 could which he/she marked down as grey acura 2-door. The car is debadged for the most part. Check box says "fail to display valid license plate." The officer wrote down in pencil "expired decal."

My fault that I forgot to put the sticker on right after I renewed the insurance, but I think its stupid that the govt will make me fork over $50 because of a dumb little harmless technicality. Call me what you will for trying to get out of it, but I think it's a money grab from the govt. It's not like I'm driving around without insurance. If that were the case then yeah, I should be penalized for it.

zulutango 02-21-2014 07:38 PM

Silver/gray-grey...not a chance. Acura/infiniti....you say it is de-badged...JP would likely not
find that a fatal flaw as no vehicle name plates were there. The MV Act says the Val Tag is also considered the "license plate" but I have no idea how the bylaw deals with that. My hometown city traffic bylaws adopt the MV Act & Regs as their definitions but I have no idea if this would apply in your case.

kwy 02-21-2014 08:07 PM

The Infiniti logo/badge is intact at the front and back. Just the "Infiniti" and "g35" text has been removed. You would think that someone who goes around all day handing out tickets would be able to identify that car by now.

dared3vil0 02-21-2014 08:45 PM

If you get pulled for speeding and the PO writes grey/gray instead of silver, you are still guilty of speeding. Same applies here i believe. The whole marked in the wrong box thing you may have a percentage point of a chance at disputing, but honestly... Isn't your time to dispute worth a hell of a lot more than ~$49?

Gh0stRider 02-21-2014 09:44 PM

You must display valid insurance while parked on city property. That is why you got the bylaw notice. Even if they got make/model/color wrong, it cannot be disputed for that reason. Its different from getting tickets from the police.

If they made a error, they could always void it and issue a new ticket. The offence was committed. They have evidence that you did not display valid insurance, and im pretty sure thats what the bylaw states.

For example (Richmond)

Quote:

No Person Shall Park a vehicle: (t) on any highway without displaying proper or valid number plates, including a
valid validation decal

Spidey 02-25-2014 03:36 PM

Firstly, Consider yourself lucky it was a bylaw ticket and not a vt from a cop. Secondly, how do you forget to put the new decal on after you renew, and are given the decal the same time. I never understood how people forget. I see it all the time too. An low and behold it's in the sleeve that holds their registration.

Gh0stRider 02-25-2014 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spidey (Post 8424032)
Firstly, Consider yourself lucky it was a bylaw ticket and not a vt from a cop. Secondly, how do you forget to put the new decal on after you renew, and are given the decal the same time. I never understood how people forget. I see it all the time too. An low and behold it's in the sleeve that holds their registration.

exactly!!! why not put on the decal as soon as you re-insure the vehicle. Like, you put the paperwork into the glove box, is it so hard to put the decal on the back plate?

yes, i see it all the time too. I just saw a August 2013 decal the other day.

seekerbeta 02-26-2014 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spidey (Post 8424032)

im not advocating what happened, but some people (Myself Included) buy your insurance renewal really early (up to a couple months), you have to wait till within like 15 days to put the new sticker on

Acura604 02-26-2014 12:39 PM

eh? got G35 car that sucks up premium gas but cant afford $49? is it the principle? lol.

Spidey 02-26-2014 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seekerbeta (Post 8424356)
im not advocating what happened, but some people (Myself Included) buy your insurance renewal really early (up to a couple months), you have to wait till within like 15 days to put the new sticker on

Is that actually true? Is that what ICBc or your auto plan broker fold you? It doesn't really make sense for you to have to wait within 15 days.

kwy 02-26-2014 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acura604 (Post 8424471)
eh? got G35 car that sucks up premium gas but cant afford $49? is it the principle? lol.

It's more the principle. $50 isn't a big deal. I think it's a stupid, pointless money grab from the city. I pay enough taxes as it is, why should I have to hand over another $50 to the govt for something harmless like this that didn't hurt anybody. My fault that I forgot to put the sticker back on yes, but this type of offense shouldn't exist. Fine me for not having valid insurance(which I have), not the stupid sticker.

rriggi 02-26-2014 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwy (Post 8424624)
but this type of offense shouldn't exist. Fine me for not having valid insurance(which I have), not the stupid sticker.

This offense exists for good reason, if this didn't exist people would simply store their unlicensed/uninsured cars on the street, its all to do with liability.

Fine you for no valid insurance? the fine is about 10 times as much as this bylaw ticket.

Pay the $49 and move on.

Speaking of which, mine still says Oct 2013 now that I think about it...:suspicious:

sho_bc 02-26-2014 11:44 PM

Quote:

Incorrect. You must keep your "old"/soon-to-expire insurance papers in your car with you until the new coverage kicks in though.

meme405 02-27-2014 10:11 AM

Quote:

Yeah as per the above poster what you mention here makes absolutely no sense.

If you renew your insurance 2 months ahead of time, you can put the new sticker on at that point in time, all it shows is that you are insured up until that date.

devenprasad 02-27-2014 06:28 PM

You could of got a order to remove your vehicle from City Property; due to the "expired" plates.

They see it as more of a legal issue, as in BC if your plates are expired so is your autoplan; they see it as if your vehicle were to "slip" and per say collide into an car or house it can be a liability issue.

Gh0stRider 02-27-2014 06:56 PM

btw, what city did this happen in?

kwy 02-27-2014 07:07 PM

Abbotsford

v_tec 02-28-2014 11:29 AM

Where is the fail button please :fulloffuck:

kwy 02-28-2014 11:31 AM

Go sit on a cactus.

Mods please delete thread. Issue resolved.

l2_narain 03-01-2014 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spidey (Post 8424612)
Is that actually true? Is that what ICBc or your auto plan broker fold you? It doesn't really make sense for you to have to wait within 15 days.

Yeah it happened to me. I believe you can renew your insurance 6 weeks prior to expiry because I wanted to do it earlier but I couldn't.

Anyways when I did renewed my insurance early, they gave me a new policy paper and told me to keep the old one and new one. Then the lady told me not to put on the new decal after. I said "Okay!", then slapped it on my plate knowing me I would have forgot anyways. I think that lady was misinformed or something..