REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:02 PM   #1
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,299 Times in 2,511 Posts
New Westminster proposing new four-lane, tolled Pattulo

New Westminster proposing new four lane, tolled bridge | News1130

Quote:
NEW WESTMINSTER (NEWS1130) – New Westminster says it has the solution to deal with increased traffic volumes in its city: a new, tolled four-lane Pattullo Bridge.

Traffic volume was decreasing on the bridge before the Port Mann Bridge was tolled.

New Westminster Mayor Wayne Wright says there have been an additional 8,000 daily trips on the Pattullo and there has been a 75 per cent growth in truck traffic on Royal Avenue.

He says this new proposal is the only way to go.

“As a free alternative, it’s significantly and negatively affecting the livability of New Westminster. Tolls on a new four lane bridge are needed, not only to finance the new bridge, but also as a critical measure to lower demand for car travel over the bridge and to promote the use of alternative transportation modes.”

He also thinks a direct link is needed between the South Fraser Perimeter road and Port Mann to make things more efficient and to cut New West out of people’s routes.

“The fact is the city has the second lowest level of car ownership, and the second highest level of transit ridership of the entire region, after downtown Vancouver.”

The new Pattullo would cost about $850 million — a six-lane bridge would cost $1.5 billion.

Calls to Surrey Mayor Dianne Watts have not yet been returned.

Louise Yako with the BC Trucking Association says there needs to be a free alternative to cross the Fraser River.

“Having three stuctures that cross the Fraser River, that are all tolled, would not be in keeping with our policy.”

She also says four lanes is not enough.
Advertisement
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:10 PM   #2

Seems to me that New West has been in the local news a lot regarding various traffic woes since the beginning of 2014. First it was the Port Mann tolls going up to $3 and driving much higher volumes of traffic to the Pattulo. Then it was their mayor and residents' complains making its way through the news. Then the Bailey Bridge recently gets closed for the 2nd time for repairs. And now this.

Undoubtedly traffic volume through New West has increased quite a bit, but do you find the complains valid? or do you consider it more like whining and such? Is a tolled Pattulo good for all of Metro Vancouver?

Personally, I find that with New West being smack in the middle of Metro Vancouver, the pass through traffic problem is unavoidable. It seems to me that the New West traffic infrastructure needs to be beefed up to support the volume, instead of simply taking measures to divert that volume to somewhere else.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:43 PM   #3
I LIKE JDM!!

Thanked 2,175 Times in 715 Posts
I have a feeling that most people will just take the Alex Fraser Bridge if a new bridge is built and tolled, hah.

YouTube
Instagram
flickr
Twitter
Portfolio
european is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-05-2014, 03:13 PM   #4
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Just toll every bridge at $1.50 each way. That way it doesn't matter which bride you take, there will be a toll.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 03:48 PM   #5
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,069 Times in 1,253 Posts
Sure, we could have a 4lane patulluo only if you allow us to build a 6 lane viaduct around your city.

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:32 PM   #6
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Just toll every bridge at $1.50 each way. That way it doesn't matter which bride you take, there will be a toll.
I wouldn't mind that. $1.50 each way makes cents. Not too much that it'll hurt the pocketbook, but enough to pay for the stuff.

As a side note, my all time favourite bridge has been closed. By the sounds of it, forever. The single lane bridge some take to Princess Auto. The Baily Bridge at the foot of Braid Street. It doesn't really save anyone that much time, 'cause the overpass at King Edward is completed, but the cool factor of that bridge, LOL.

The feel of the timbers shaking as you cross.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-05-2014, 04:50 PM   #7
2 Wheelin' Mod

It would make sense to have a yearly fee and toll all the bridges.

which you could pay when you buy your insurance or you opt out and pay a higher rate for each time you cross.
Jas29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:56 PM   #8
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,751 Times in 700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
I wouldn't mind that. $1.50 each way makes cents. Not too much that it'll hurt the pocketbook, but enough to pay for the stuff.

As a side note, my all time favourite bridge has been closed. By the sounds of it, forever. The single lane bridge some take to Princess Auto. The Baily Bridge at the foot of Braid Street. It doesn't really save anyone that much time, 'cause the overpass at King Edward is completed, but the cool factor of that bridge, LOL.

Not sure why your post reminded me of this video...
Maybe because you're really old? haha

Last edited by PeanutButter; 03-05-2014 at 07:07 PM.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:34 PM   #9
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Seems to me that New West has been in the local news a lot regarding various traffic woes since the beginning of 2014. First it was the Port Mann tolls going up to $3 and driving much higher volumes of traffic to the Pattulo. Then it was their mayor and residents' complains making its way through the news. Then the Bailey Bridge recently gets closed for the 2nd time for repairs. And now this.

Undoubtedly traffic volume through New West has increased quite a bit, but do you find the complains valid? or do you consider it more like whining and such? Is a tolled Pattulo good for all of Metro Vancouver?

Personally, I find that with New West being smack in the middle of Metro Vancouver, the pass through traffic problem is unavoidable. It seems to me that the New West traffic infrastructure needs to be beefed up to support the volume, instead of simply taking measures to divert that volume to somewhere else.
Also prevented the North Fraser Perimeter Road from being built.

I hate driving through New West so much and I have to do it 5 days a week to get to my job. Fortunately we are moving our office early next year so I won't have to do it again when that happens.
stump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:43 PM   #10
RS controls my life!

We should be able to vote on how much would want to pay for each toll crossing.

I would vote that 25 cents for crossing is reasonable for toll bridge in Vancouver.
FS1992EG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:12 PM   #11
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post

Love that bridge, lets hope they re-open it!

I always used to take that way on purpose to get onto United rather than taking HWY 1 just to show it to ppl.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-05-2014, 07:34 PM   #12
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabs View Post
Love that bridge, lets hope they re-open it!

I always used to take that way on purpose to get onto United rather than taking HWY 1 just to show it to ppl.
I drove over that like less than a month ago. Why did they close it?

TBH that bridge and road makes no sense. The road on the princess auto side is soo wide and has 4 lanes, then it narrows into this rickety 1 lane bridge...

On the other hand it is quite fun to drive over, especially with people who havn't been on it before...

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:59 PM   #13
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
That would make too much sense. The government can't comprehend that level of advanced thinking.

I don't know why they just don't toll every bridge and make it $1 each whenever a new project comes up.

When the project is paid for remove the tolls on the bridges until the next project comes up. Rinse and repeat, everyone is happy.
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-05-2014, 08:12 PM   #14
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Here we go again with the talks of "this is the only way"...the way it is right now should suffice...that and i agree just toll ALL bridges especially bridges going to downtown
Posted via RS Mobile
JesseBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:16 PM   #15
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
Not sure why your post reminded me of this video...
Maybe because you're really old? haha

KIDS REACT TO ROTARY PHONES - YouTube
I still have a couple of those. Can't beat the sound of the ringer.

Since you mentioned old phones, I'm trying to win/buy a Kit Kat Klock on eBay. The original one, not the ones they make nowadays.

http://californiaclock.com/kit-cat-w...t-cat-history/

Old 03-05-2014, 08:26 PM   #16
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
I drove over that like less than a month ago. Why did they close it?

TBH that bridge and road makes no sense. The road on the princess auto side is soo wide and has 4 lanes, then it narrows into this rickety 1 lane bridge...

On the other hand it is quite fun to drive over, especially with people who havn't been on it before...
I just heard on traffic radio that the bridge is going to be rebuilt......... if it ain't wooden it ain't the same.

Also, for those who want to drive over it, it's closed down for good, so no chance to experience what we have described.

I tell you guys, we need to make a "must do before they is gone" list. Like the Brave Bull. I went there one week before they closed down for good. Speaking of wooden structures, gotta go ride the roller coaster at the PNE one more time before they deem it unsafe and tear it down.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:48 PM   #17
nah
My homepage has been set to RS

Building a 4 lane bridge is short sighted, that's not enough for today, let alone 30-50 years from now.
nah is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-05-2014, 09:12 PM   #18
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,379 Times in 478 Posts
i don't mind if the bridge is tolled. If they lowered the tolls to $1 or $1.50 to all the bridges more people will be willing to pay for it
lilaznviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:19 PM   #19
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

I'm not an expert on how the Federal-Provincial govt. relationship works and the politics behind highway 1 but, since hwy 1 is a national highway why can't the federal government help pay for the Port Mann? I understand that most Canadians live in Ontario and Quebec, but living out here in the wild west shouldn't prevent us from getting the feds to help? Afterall there are still a large percentage of Canadian taxpayers in BC?
Ball.J.Inder is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-05-2014, 09:21 PM   #20
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 1,068 Times in 358 Posts
as a starving student living in coquitlam and having to cross over to surrey to go to school, i can't afford these tolls. feelsbadman
roflwaffle604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-05-2014, 10:22 PM   #21
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
I don't mean (and sorry) to sound like a dick, but there are options to get to school like transit. I don't know if you go to Kwantlen (which I agree, is pretty far to transit but there are a lot of buses that go there) or SFU Surrey (there's Skytrain). Having a car as a "starving student" would be a luxury imo, and if the tolls are eating into your food money there are ways to save that involve leaving the car at home.

Back on topic- I drive the Patullo every day, and have been for the past 5 years. The increase in traffic is definitely noticeable, and has forced me to move my working hours a half hour later to avoid increased volume (even though I'm against rush-hour flow).

Yes a toll would help.

A 4 lane bridge is too short-sighted, as someone mentioned.

And I think if New West wants to complain, they should be told to compromise or shut the fuck up. They're basically one big bottleneck wherever you go in the city, and they're not helping their cause just to maintain their supposed "quiet city life". Sometimes I don't understand why NW has to complain so much. They need to fix their traffic woes yet don't want to add anything to a potential solution.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-05-2014, 10:35 PM   #22

^^ The irony is, New West itself is trying hard to grow, especially near DT NW. The multiple high rises next to the NW Skytrain station, the NW waterfront area, the new condos along Royal, etc. The city is growing and developing, and Royal, Columbia, and Front streets are getting overwhelmed. The stretch along East Columbia (starting from around Royal Columbian Hospital) has also seen a lot of development, and yet East Columbia is still a stupid two lane road (one lane each way)?! There is no such thing as have your cake and eat it too...
Old 03-05-2014, 11:25 PM   #23
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

And in 2002 Coquitlam took New Westminster to court as New Westminster tried to close the baily bridge to halt the traffic flow through NW.
B!tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:30 PM   #24

I know that last year when the Bailey Bridge broke down, Coquitlam actually offered to pay for replacement bridge that was 2 lanes wide, even though the bridge itself was entirely in New Westsminster. I honestly don't know what was going through the NW municipal government's head...

Old 03-06-2014, 12:34 AM   #25
I subscribe to Revscene

Its not like this province has gas, gold, diamonds, trees or fish to sell... raise the cost of living to clear the roads for the rich and the rest of the people can toughen up and learn how to ride bikes.
jasonturbo & westopher in the election thread
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8668948
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8667115
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: