REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-07-2014, 04:51 PM   #26
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
According to RS, highways in BC are basically all equal to the Nürburgring. Cool.
We have some FANTASTIC driving roads in BC, and I'm not surprised by the attitude on RS towards it, as many car enthusiasts I'm sure agree.

However go to a news comments page and its full of idiots saying things from like "throw him in jail!" , "blame immigration!" , "why do these cars exist!"...

Ah well....
Advertisement
rriggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:10 PM   #27
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rriggi View Post
We have some FANTASTIC driving roads in BC, and I'm not surprised by the attitude on RS towards it, as many car enthusiasts I'm sure agree.

However go to a news comments page and its full of idiots saying things from like "throw him in jail!" , "blame immigration!" , "why do these cars exist!"...

Ah well....
I absolutely agree, we have fantastic driving roads in British Columbia.

Despite RS's general thinking speeds of 140-150km/h are not hit "on the regular" on Highway 1 nor are speeds of 160km/h the standard for "cruising" on Highway 5, however.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-07-2014, 05:41 PM   #28
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:

Despite RS's general thinking speeds of 140-150km/h are not hit "on the regular" on Highway 1 nor are speeds of 160km/h the standard for "cruising" on Highway 5, however.
to be fair summertime east of chilliwack, it is remarkably easy to hit 140, and believe me you would not look altogether out of place.

Everyday at 6am I am watching people hit 110-120 through the burnaby lake stretch in the pouring rain. Thats a god damn 80 zone right now.

The coq in the right places you can get caught going a 150 pretty quick.

I'm not saying this is legal, nor do I condone it, i'm just saying its more common that you think.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-07-2014, 07:00 PM   #29
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I wonder if the sentence would be more severe had he gone a great deal faster.
One month later:
Quote:
Originally Posted by z-33 View Post
THE GUY IN THE RED SHIRT throwing the newspaper stand into the window IS INDY BHANGU FROM SURREY.
Mancini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:10 PM   #30
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,038 Times in 2,075 Posts
I go 110-120 fairly regularly on hwy 99 and cars blow by me going at least 140 all the time during rush hour. Often times its young girls in their civics... Not condoning it but I could see someone in a C63 cruising at 160 without even fully realizing it. Especially when the roads are bare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-07-2014, 07:15 PM   #31
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Quote:

Ehhh... I beg to differ... 140km/h is only 30km/h over the 110km/h speed limit, i can't tell you how many times i have been passed cruising in the slow lane at 140 ish on the coq... I do agree though, 160 isn't normal on hwy 5, but it's definitely a common sight.

EDIT: I'm obviously talking about summer conditions.

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-07-2014, 07:22 PM   #32
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
I go 110-120 fairly regularly on hwy 99 and cars blow by me going at least 140 all the time during rush hour. Often times its young girls in their civics... Not condoning it but I could see someone in a C63 cruising at 160 without even fully realizing it. Especially when the roads are bare.
Pretty much this, I was driving from Vancouver to Chilliwack on Hwy 1 at around 6-7AM to do some work training... since I got delayed while grabbing breakfast at McD I decided to speed a "little" bit to make up the time. I was doing 120-140 in the 100 zone and quite a few cars were still passing me like I was standing still.
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-07-2014, 07:37 PM   #33
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

i don't agree with the accused being behind bars, but a hefty fine and driver's license taken away and must attend driver rehab is a must, if the same incident should occur, then driver ban for at least 5 years and vehicle taken away and sold and proceeds given to road improvement or driver education programs or rehab programs

if they itch for a need for speed, take it up to mission raceway at least if they get into an accident, they only kill themselves instead of innocent people on public streets/highways
hirevtuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-07-2014, 07:58 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirevtuner View Post
i don't agree with the accused being behind bars, but a hefty fine and driver's license taken away and must attend driver rehab is a must, if the same incident should occur, then driver ban for at least 5 years and vehicle taken away and sold and proceeds given to road improvement or driver education programs or rehab programs

if they itch for a need for speed, take it up to mission raceway at least if they get into an accident, they only kill themselves instead of innocent people on public streets/highways
The news story is again poorly reported, the man is behind bars for breach of other conditions, not because he was speeding. Although I'm sure the speeding isn't going to help his case at all...

This post thanked by:
Old 04-07-2014, 08:15 PM   #35
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Also, practically every car has at least 200 horsepower these days. SO many performance cars are above 350 hp now!

Shrug, I drive the way I do and I've had 19 years of 0 at-fault accidents.
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:39 PM   #36
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
we had this 80km/h or 90km/h speed limit for several decades now.

stopping from 60mph does not take 200 to 250ft like we used to.
brakes and tires are much improved, as well as highway maneuverability due to more advanced suspension and technology.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-07-2014, 08:52 PM   #37
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post

brakes and tires are much improved, as well as highway maneuverability due to more advanced suspension and technology.
The problem isn't the cars, it's the drivers.

With our current licensing system, mixed with the sad fact that is ridiculously easy to deem a piece of sh*t car as road-worthy, higher speed limits would result in more fatalities.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for upping the speed limit... BUT, do you really want the soccer mom painting her nails in the 2+ ton SUV to go faster? Ditto for the 70-year-old geriatric that can't see properly and has the reflexes of a turtle in quicksand (but is too arrogant to give up his license)? Or the new driver who wants to impress his buddies by weaving lanes on the highway? Or the C-Lai who needs to paint her pedals green and red so she knows which pedal to hit relative to the color of the traffic light? Etc etc etc.

Don't even get me started on the amount of poorly maintained cars I see with visible/audible engine issues, bad brakes, brake lights/headlights/turn indicators not working, people driving summer tires in the winter... should THEY be going faster as well?

IMO, a LOT of work needs to be done before we can even think about safely upping the speed limits... ESPECIALLY in BC. Let Supa's dashcam videos be a living testament to this rant.
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:55 PM   #38
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PARANOiA-R34 View Post
IMO, a LOT of work needs to be done before we can even think about safely upping the speed limits... ESPECIALLY in BC. Let Supa's dashcam videos be a living testament to this rant.

I have to admit, you're right.
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:57 PM   #39
Need my Daily Fix of RS

richmond f1 track?

no wonder mercedes is doing so well this season so much development and research going on
123654123 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-07-2014, 09:40 PM   #40
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
to be fair summertime east of chilliwack, it is remarkably easy to hit 140, and believe me you would not look altogether out of place.

Everyday at 6am I am watching people hit 110-120 through the burnaby lake stretch in the pouring rain. Thats a god damn 80 zone right now.

The coq in the right places you can get caught going a 150 pretty quick.

I'm not saying this is legal, nor do I condone it, i'm just saying its more common that you think.
I commuted between Abbotsford and Surrey for five years, and the average speed that I observed was 110km/h at peak times and 100km/h at non-peak times. A vehicle traveling at 130km/h+ would definitely attract my attention, and it's highly unlikely that they'd be passed. That's my experience from travelling that stretch thousands of times, and it's very different from the experience people on RS generally recount. I don't know how to reconcile that difference.

On the Coquihalla it is easy to pick up very high speed on the downhill stretches, no doubt. The average sustained speed isn't 160km/h in my experience, though. Maybe 120-130km/h.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-07-2014, 10:09 PM   #41

Quote:
I commuted between Abbotsford and Surrey for five years, and the average speed that I observed was 110km/h at peak times and 100km/h at non-peak times. A vehicle traveling at 130km/h+ would definitely attract my attention, and it's highly unlikely that they'd be passed. That's my experience from travelling that stretch thousands of times, and it's very different from the experience people on RS generally recount. I don't know how to reconcile that difference.

On the Coquihalla it is easy to pick up very high speed on the downhill stretches, no doubt. The average sustained speed isn't 160km/h in my experience, though. Maybe 120-130km/h.
Why do people go faster at peak times in your mind? Or did you mix the two? When there is a lot of traffic on the road I tend to slow down...

The speed limit on that section of hwy 1 is 100km/h. I have dash camera evidence from saturday afternoon of me doing 120km/h in the heavy downpour we had at that time, and while I certainly pass a few cars, I also get passed by a series of cars as well. I'd say I was going average speed relative to others. Again this was in HEAVY downpour.

I'd challenge you to go drive from just after the portmann all the way till langley or abby in the summer months (off-hours without traffic of course) and you will see the average speed of most vehicles exceeds 120km/h, and the fast lane often is 135km/h+.

Lomac just (about 2 hours ago in the shitty/dangerous drivers thread) posted a video of him driving what I assume to be the coq doing 132km/h approaching the scene of an accident. I'm willing to bet that wasn't the fastest he was going, and I am also willing to bet he wasn't the only person doing that speed, nor was he the fastest person on the coq that day.

What I am trying to make clear is that while 150+ is not a norm, 100 is also incorrect.

EDIT: I'm not currently driving my FX, and I don't swap over dash cameras into my DD, but next time I am driving to work in my FX I will document for you the speed through the burnaby lake stretch.

This post thanked by:
Old 04-07-2014, 10:29 PM   #42
Wanna have a threesome?

I would guessing the average speed of travel is higher at peak times because people are rushing to get to work on time or to get home for dinner. I do think this is a little odd but I don't have any explanation beyond guessing. Whatevs, I enjoy leisurely driving home late at night at 95km/h and still passing people occasionally.

Like I said, I've driven that stretch thousands of times and the average speed that I've experienced is lower than anyone on RS reports. I don't know how to reconcile the difference, but I have complete certainly in the numbers that I've reported. So it's not my numbers. Maybe my experience averages things out more.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:40 AM   #43
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
Quote:
According to RS, highways in BC are basically all equal to the Nürburgring. Cool.
you mean they're not?

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:16 AM   #44
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:

The 85 tercels with a rusted out hole in the floorpan you see around the city says otherwise.
Geoc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-08-2014, 09:17 AM   #45
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
Quote:
The problem isn't the cars, it's the drivers.
You goddamn right it is.
Combine that with the shitty cars that are somehow deemed road worthy. Even cars with accident avoidance are getting into accidents

Great points made and great rant
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:41 AM   #46
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:

I drive all over the place for work at all different times of the day - I generally agree with these numbers. There are anomalies both ways, but these are pretty fair averages.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-08-2014, 10:11 AM   #47
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
Lomac just (about 2 hours ago in the shitty/dangerous drivers thread) posted a video of him driving what I assume to be the coq doing 132km/h approaching the scene of an accident. I'm willing to bet that wasn't the fastest he was going, and I am also willing to bet he wasn't the only person doing that speed, nor was he the fastest person on the coq that day.

What I am trying to make clear is that while 150+ is not a norm, 100 is also incorrect.
Shhhh!

I drive the Coquihalla almost every day (along with Hwy 97a and 97b) and, yes, the typical speed there is pretty damn fast. The average speed on a nice day on those roads is around 130, yet you'll still get a ton of drivers going in excess of that speed. It's not just cars doing that sort of speed as even semi trucks are known to hit 140+. Sure, you get a mix of people going 80km/hr (typically underpowered vehicles going up one of the many steep grade hills) and somewhere around the speed limit. However, from my experience over the past year, those people are in the minority. Sadly, even during the last winter the average speed was still around 110km/hr. And that was even during heavy white-out snowfalls. lol
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:13 AM   #48
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
...70-year-old geriatric that can't see properly and has the reflexes of a turtle in quicksand...
I had a good giggle over this one.

I totally agree with your rant and would like to add another factor.

Driving "cultures" differ from country to country. The nightmarish habits of south/east/southeast Asian drivers, for example, mix as well with ours as Timpo and logic. Some sort of educational program needs to be included with licence transfers of new residents to address this issue.
ScratchedMy991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:23 AM   #49
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

correction to article: 220 max, 160 avg

vo_hantu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:56 PM   #50
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

Quote:

I have to make my first post. Obviously you have never driven on other continents....the biggest issue is drivers...not the speed limit.

Judgement is what it's all about.
UGOTTABEKIDDING is offline   Reply With Quote