REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-27-2014, 01:19 PM   #101
I am Hook'd on RS

I cannot, simply cannot believe that in the year 2014, in Canada, that marriage equality is still an issue among so many people.

Damn. BRB, gonna slit my wrists and let the faith in humanity drain out.
Advertisement
cheeky_scrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 01:22 PM   #102
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeky_scrub View Post
I cannot, simply cannot believe that in the year 2014, in Canada, that marriage equality is still an issue among so many people.

Damn. BRB, gonna slit my wrists and let the faith in humanity drain out.
as long as the church is around it will always be an issue
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 08:49 PM   #103
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Fyi, they voted to vote again on the accreditation issue, this time the decision to be binding, option 2 from my previous post.
van_city23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:23 PM   #104
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
As much as I want TWU to not be accredited, this referendum decision was the right choice.

If the outcome of the SGM last June is a true reflection of how lawyers will vote, then the result will be the correct one too.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:58 PM   #105
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Kind of a waste of time to vote again. The vote was pretty clear last time. It's not like it was even close. I'll be sure to vote again, and this time it'll count. Fuck these discriminatory pricks.
Majestic12 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-30-2014, 06:56 AM   #106
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
So much hate in this thread... the irony is staggering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-30-2014, 10:51 AM   #107
#savethemanuals

Please explain.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:12 AM   #108
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
yo dawg i heard you like to vote so we can vote on if we can vote to vote on an issue that needs to be voted on again.
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 12:52 PM   #109
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majestic12 View Post
Kind of a waste of time to vote again. The vote was pretty clear last time. It's not like it was even close. I'll be sure to vote again, and this time it'll count. Fuck these discriminatory pricks.
Wrong. The vote was only a part of the total membership (less than 1/3rd). And considering there was a campaign by another lawyer (forget who, but it's in this thread) who contacted other lawyers and encouraged them to vote against TWU then there's no way anyone could believe that the people who voted were an accurate representation of all lawyers.

Don't know who actually said this, but it was quoted below:

Quote:
The first is to respect the wishes of the majority of B.C. lawyers who voted this past spring to call on benchers to reverse their decision to accredit the faith-based law school.
I'd like to know who thinks that 4,178 out of 13,000 is a majority?
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 12:59 PM   #110
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Strong reading comprehension.... majority of the 4178 that voted, 77% of those voted to deny acredditation.
Unless you can think of a better way to get all 13,000 members to come out and cast a vote, whereby most of them are probably indifferent, I'd say in terms of those who have an opinion 77% voting one way is a majority.

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/n...4-f77ea55f5e1f
chouchou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 01:32 PM   #111
#savethemanuals

The next vote will be via mailed ballots so there is no excuse to not vote.

Everyone is expecting the result to be the same.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:51 PM   #112
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangonay View Post
Wrong. The vote was only a part of the total membership (less than 1/3rd). And considering there was a campaign by another lawyer (forget who, but it's in this thread) who contacted other lawyers and encouraged them to vote against TWU then there's no way anyone could believe that the people who voted were an accurate representation of all lawyers.
Yeah, except that the percentage of the electorate that showed up was in line with the same number that showed up for other elections in the past. Unless they plan on compelling a vote from every single member, the result is exactly what should be expected. And yes, there was a lawyer that started a campaign, but it spread by other lawyers. It's not like he called every lawyer he could find personally.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:53 PM   #113
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
So much hate in this thread... the irony is staggering.
There's a difference. Nobody is stopping them from having their shitty opinions. I welcome shitty opinions. However, I'll vote all day against their shitty opinions infringing on equality rights of other individuals.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-30-2014, 05:15 PM   #114
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
I don't get how they're infringing on anything?

Don't like their rules, don't go there. Seems simple to me.

It's not like they don't make their rules known up front, and it's not like it's the ONLY place in Canada that you can study Law.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-30-2014, 05:29 PM   #115
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
its all about civil rights and everyone being equal
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-30-2014, 06:45 PM   #116
#savethemanuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
I don't get how they're infringing on anything?

Don't like their rules, don't go there. Seems simple to me.

It's not like they don't make their rules known up front, and it's not like it's the ONLY place in Canada that you can study Law.
This keeps coming up again and again.

The idea is that everyone has a right to their opinions even if they are discriminatory. However, when people start acting on their discriminatory opinions then that is no longer protected under the Charter.

TWU is turning its opinions into actions and actively discriminating against LGBT persons. The Law Society of BC has a duty to govern the legal profession in the public interest. Many lawyers feel that it is not in the public interest to accredit a school that discriminates against LGBT.

When you defend TWU with a remark like "don't like their rules, don't go there", know that that can perpetuate discrimination. For example, a restaurant has a rule saying that only white people can eat there, is it a defense for them to say "don't like our rules, don't eat here"?
This post thanked by:
Old 09-30-2014, 07:49 PM   #117
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chouchou View Post
Strong reading comprehension.... majority of the 4178 that voted, 77% of those voted to deny acredditation.
Unless you can think of a better way to get all 13,000 members to come out and cast a vote, whereby most of them are probably indifferent, I'd say in terms of those who have an opinion 77% voting one way is a majority.

New breed of lawyers judges proposed TWU school differently
That vote is not binding so the ratio of those in favor or against is irrelevant.

When they do the second vote with all members, which will be binding, then we'll find out if the ratio for/against is the same as the initial vote. So one of us will be proven right and the other wrong.
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:37 PM   #118
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangonay View Post
That vote is not binding so the ratio of those in favor or against is irrelevant.

When they do the second vote with all members, which will be binding, then we'll find out if the ratio for/against is the same as the initial vote. So one of us will be proven right and the other wrong.
U can't say its irrelevant, I mean without that vote this process would have been over. So the ratio is very relevant but may not be indicative of the results of the binding vote.
van_city23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:24 PM   #119
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
TWU is turning its opinions into actions and actively discriminating against LGBT persons.
See, this is where the argument falls down: they're not saying students can't be LGBT. The covenant that students are expected to agree to merely states that, while students, they will abstain from sex outside of heterosexual marriage. It doesn't discriminate against LGBTs any more than it discriminates against straight playas. It doesn't stop anyone from BEING LGBT. It doesn't stop them from fucking whatever or whomever they want once they graduate. Technically, it doesn't stop them from doing it WHILE they're students.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"

Last edited by Soundy; 09-30-2014 at 10:34 PM.
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:30 PM   #120
#savethemanuals

Quote:
See, this is where the argument falls down: they're not saying students can't be LGBT. The covenant that students are expected to agree to merely states that, while students, they will abstain from sex outside of heterosexual marriage. It doesn't discriminate against LGBTs any more than it discriminates against straight playas.
So what if you are a married LGBT couple? How come the straight couple can have sex and the LGBT couple cannot?

The covenant tries to skirt the issue but what it is saying is that TWU believes that first, you can only have sex when you are married and second, marriage can only be between a man and a woman.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-30-2014, 11:31 PM   #121
#savethemanuals

Quote:
See, this is where the argument falls down: they're not saying students can't be LGBT. The covenant that students are expected to agree to merely states that, while students, they will abstain from sex outside of heterosexual marriage. It doesn't discriminate against LGBTs any more than it discriminates against straight playas. It doesn't stop anyone from BEING LGBT. It doesn't stop them from fucking whatever or whomever they want once they graduate. Technically, it doesn't stop them from doing it WHILE they're students.
You edited your post so I will respond to the bolded part.

What happens when the students graduate is not at issue here, it is what happens when they are students.

Students who are not married or are LGBT are free to have sex of course but then TWU can place sanctions on those students that go up to expulsion.

So students can have sex but are liable for punishment by TWU. Having that clause that gives TWU this discretion is discriminatory.

At this point, I am unsure of how you cannot see this. ~3,700 very intelligent and capable lawyers voted against accreditation for this reason.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-30-2014, 11:37 PM   #122
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
^ 3700 intelligent and capable lawyers voting solely because of their beliefs or partially influenced by not wanting more competition?
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-30-2014, 11:40 PM   #123
#savethemanuals

That is not the issue here and that is not what this is about. Neither side has brought that up.

If there was no discrimination there would be no problem and we wouldn't be having this discussion.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-30-2014, 11:51 PM   #124
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
Yeah but discriminations gonna happen either way.

That is just a more black and white example.

For example, let's say some Purple skinned individual killed a family member of mine when I was younger, and I was put on trial or put up to prosecute a purple skinned individual , don't you think that clouds my judgement?

Everybody whether we like it or not passes judgement and discrimination is prominent everywhere we walk. Some hide it better than others.
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-30-2014, 11:55 PM   #125
#savethemanuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by hchang View Post
Yeah but discriminations gonna happen either way.

That is just a more black and white example.

For example, let's say some Purple skinned individual killed a family member of mine when I was younger, and I was put on trial or put up to prosecute a purple skinned individual , don't you think that clouds my judgement?

Everybody whether we like it or not passes judgement and discrimination is prominent everywhere we walk. Some hide it better than others.
I'm not sure I understand you.

Sure a purple skinned individual harmed your family in the past. You are free to have whatever opinion you want of them. You can wish death on all purple skinned individuals. You can pass judgment on them as much as you want.

What you cannot do is act on your biases and clouded judgment. You cannot open up a university and actively discriminate against purple skinned people. This is even more important when it is an institution that perpetrates discriminatory acts.
This post thanked by: