REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:27 AM   #1
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
Law Society of BC debating TWU Law School

Quote:
Law Society of BC moves to reject faculty of law at Trinity Western
News1130 Staff April 11, 2014 8:57 am

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) – The Law Society of BC could be on the path to rejecting Trinity Western University in its bid for accreditation.

The executive of the society has moved a motion to turn the university’s application down, but the group is still debating the motion.

Lawyer Joe Arvay says his issue is the school’s community covenant which that requires students to abstain from “sexual intimacy that violates the sacredness of marriage between a man and a woman.”

“My main objection to this law school is what I see as discriminatory conduct by the administration of the law school. I object to what I say is the metaphorical sign at the gate of the law sign, which says ‘No LGBT students, faculty or staff are welcome.’”

Arvay calls it discriminatory and disrespectful.

The university won a court challenge brought about by the BC College of Teachers along the same issue back in 2001.

The Federation of Law Societies of Canada and B.C.’s Ministry of Advanced Education have already decided they will recognize the law school, which is preparing to take in its first students in 2016.
Move for Law Society of BC to reject faculty of law at Trinity Western | News1130

should faith get in the way of another persons freedom? how can we trust a lawyer who clearly agrees with denying the freedom of another? should a school be allowed to force their students to agree with their discriminatory view?

the debate and vote is happening now

the province/ministry are in favour of TWU getting a law school of the law society is voting on it now so far most of the law society is voting in favour of TWU getting their law school which is surprising to me

the school will allow gay students but they have to sign the community covenant which states marriage is only for men & women

i need a sleeping pill
Advertisement

Last edited by StylinRed; 04-11-2014 at 08:44 AM. Reason: title was incorrect i need sleep forgive me
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-11-2014, 08:51 AM   #2
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,579 Times in 4,296 Posts
Faith and lawyers shouldn't mix... If someone faith has a chance from jeopardizing someone else's freedom then they are in the wrong line of work.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-11-2014, 08:55 AM   #3
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

TWU argues it's discriminatory not to recognize their law school. They're saying going to school there is an option that you voluntarily take and therefore, don't have to go there if you don't like the covenant.

I don't know, that's a valid argument but it's weak. Private schools can choose how they run their schools. But, I don't think it helps making lawyers confined to ancient thinking. Religion v society is always a tough debate. With private schools, is there any inclusion type of rule where they have to take a certain amount of non-faith or low income students? or is that only if they receive public funds?
van_city23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:21 AM   #4
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
I'm particularly interested in this and have been following it for awhile. Watching it live now. I feel that TWU's application will pass, unfortunately.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:49 AM   #5
look at these diamonds, they shining

Thanked 1,813 Times in 553 Posts
inb4 all the lawyers who graduated from TWU turn on their clients because they have "sinned"
Drow is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-11-2014, 09:51 AM   #6
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thats, one small step backwards for man...
Infiniti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
I'm particularly interested in this and have been following it for awhile. Watching it live now. I feel that TWU's application will pass, unfortunately.
I don't think it'll pass right now but eventually, after appeals, i think it unfortunately will too.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:59 AM   #8
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
There's a strange irony in discriminating against someone because you consider them discriminatory...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-11-2014, 10:02 AM   #9
#savethemanuals

All the benchers are zeroing in on old precedent. They say they are bound by the rule of law and have to approve TWU's application while expressing regrets about having to do so.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:05 AM   #10
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
That is unfortunate. From the government's perspective TWU is one of the better choices to put a Law School (SFU size restrictions and rest of lowermainland schools are not that rigorous). Not to mention they are well funded so we won't need to worry about budget shortfall like Capilano etc. From a tax payer's perspective that's a plus. Besides we do need more lawyers whether we like it or not.

Having interacted with some fresh CS grads from TWU a while back before my retirement, I find most of them have the stuff together better than a lot of other grads.

Last edited by godwin; 04-11-2014 at 10:10 AM.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-11-2014, 10:10 AM   #11
#savethemanuals

Wow, I really respect Joe Arvay now. The law is never frozen in time and always evolving... Now that's a man that can take a stand.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:18 AM   #12
#savethemanuals

The motion to deny TWU fails. TWU is accredited. Very disappointing.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:45 AM   #13
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

^ Just curious, how is this disappointing?
tmc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:52 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmc22 View Post
^ Just curious, how is this disappointing?
Because, nobody is allowed to have different beliefs than the Accepted Norm.
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 04-11-2014, 11:19 AM   #15
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,312 Times in 5,633 Posts
I know many people that have not/will not swear on the bible while testifying in court

No way in hell most people are going to agree to go against Somone who's bringing "faith" into the courtroom at any level
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:34 AM   #16
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
Law and Religion is a hard mix. There are lines that Lawyers could cross that could be deemed non-religious. I'm not trying to be an asshole with this comment, but a lot of the Christians I know, are pretty hardcore about their religion, and I can't see them breaking any religious rules to further them in their career.

For me it's not a fact of them asking their students to abstain from sex ( for example ), but more would they make a good lawyer because of all the rules they are bound by, I don't think they would. I agree with the rejection of law school on those terms.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:37 AM   #17
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
Uh, isn't it up to the lawyer to accept the job or not. LOL.

i mean, if some christian lawyer saw a case and he didn't think he could properly defend his client due to his values, he could just say "sorry dude, find another lawyer".

and we gotta remember, money is the first thing in mind... lawyers don't wanna lose their case or get a bad rep for their style of court room kungfu.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:43 AM   #18
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
So where would this stop? Ban people who attended religious schools from kindergarten up doing any meaningful vocation? so St. George's or any school with a Saint prefix should go out of business?

Just because a lawyer had been educated at a religious affiliated institution, doesn't mean they would automatically bring that to their work life or any part of their life?

The argument is about barrier of entry, not about how competent they are as lawyers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
I know many people that have not/will not swear on the bible while testifying in court

No way in hell most people are going to agree to go against Somone who's bringing "faith" into the courtroom at any level
Posted via RS Mobile
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-11-2014, 11:47 AM   #19

It's not about being a certain type of lawyer, it's about not allowing gays and lesbians into the program. Christians can go to any law school in canada they want and have extreme views or not. You can't regulate what someone believes but you should be able to regulate discriminatory conduct, which is what's argued as happening with the rules they have about homosexuals.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:20 PM   #20
I keep RS good

it's funny how things go in a full circle.

roman's laughed at christians

christian's laugh at gays

and now everyone laughs at the christians.

it just seems to be a swapping of values. so really... who's right?

why is it that one set of values are favored during one time and another during another?

what's the solution to this?

discrimination is not allowed.
but then thought control is not allowed either.

doesn't that seem kinda circular to you guys.

if you discriminate against the gays, and people don't let you do that... and then they discriminate you for your values and revoke your licences or rights or whatever. it's like... you're just perpetuating that problem. it's 100% hypocritical.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:23 PM   #21
I keep RS good

Quote:
Originally Posted by van_city23 View Post
You can't regulate what someone believes but you should be able to regulate discriminatory conduct, which is what's argued as happening with the rules they have about homosexuals.
if you can't control thoughts, then you can't control discrimination.

it's an endless chase.

but no one wants to be thought controlled.

really there is no solution. it's just a vicious never ending cycle unless everyone wants to obey one value. which... probably won't happen... ever.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:01 PM   #22

Seems a lot of people are reading things into this that just don't exist.

The whole flap is (and has been for other accreditations in the past) over a clause in the "community charter" that students are expected to sign when starting at TWU, particularly one phrase that states they agree to VOLUNTARILY ABSTAIN from having sex outside of a heterosexual marriage.

That's it.

Doesn't say they have to agree with the policy, doesn't say they have to be any particular faith, doesn't say they can't be gay, doesn't even say they have to be married. And it doesn't bind them to it AFTER they graduate.

They just have to agree that they'll not have sex outside of hetero marriage while they're students. Something that isn't particularly enforceable anyway, BTW.

There's ZERO reason that agreeing to this policy would affect anyone's ability to be a competent or even kick-ass lawyer.

And for that matter, the claim that it "discriminates against gays and lesbians" is ridiculous - by that token, it also discriminates against straight sluts, or just about anyone who wants to go meet up with their opposite-sex non-spouse significant other for a little somethin' somethin' between classes. But you don't hear any righteous indignation from the straight sluts, do you?

What's particularly interesting is the the BCCLU, usually the bastion of Political Correctness<tm>, was on the side of TWU in this case, too.
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 04-11-2014, 09:18 PM   #23
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

I'm glad their law school was approved. I don't see how their charter has any bearing on future TWU lawyers ability to serve the public.

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:12 PM   #24
I don't get it

Lawyers and religion? Come on.... Where's the facts that Jesus existed? None your honour
dvst8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:29 PM   #25
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvst8 View Post
Lawyers and religion? Come on.... Where's the facts that Jesus existed? None your honour
You're telling me that lawyers and judges are completely objective with no religious influences?
tmc22 is offline   Reply With Quote