REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-14-2014, 06:33 PM   #1
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Longboarders crashing via WestVan PD video

Anyone else agree these mouthy imbeciles got what they deserved, or perhaps not enough?
Advertisement
E-SPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:37 PM   #2
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Do the boarders deserve a ticket/fine if they broke a law? Sure.

Did the cop make a bad situation worse? Yes.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-14-2014, 06:40 PM   #3
Who's naughty? I___i

"running kids off the road with your vehicle" ... that guy is a kid!?
Szeto is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-14-2014, 06:42 PM   #4
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

you should join the debate on the shitty drivers thread. IMO Cop is right went about it in a tad of a bad way.
kross9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:45 PM   #5
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
The first half of the video I'm thinking. "What stupid people… wait for it… wait for it… WTF, that wasn't a crash?!?!?!?!"

Then the second half, and I realize it's a cop that stopped in the middle of the road, fully knowing a bunch of idiots are coming at him at 50 km/h. Top 10, most retarded things i've seen a cop do.

Last edited by hud 91gt; 04-14-2014 at 07:00 PM.
hud 91gt is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-14-2014, 06:52 PM   #6
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 2,496 Times in 555 Posts
The cop handled it in the worst way possible and those longboarders are lucky they only got a fine and no injuries.
8th May 2021 - 30th Sept 2023

'99 SAAB 9-3 (3DR) (5MT) (sold)
'02 SAAB 9-5 Aero (5MT)
27th Sept 2015 - 17th Sept 2017

'03 Corolla (4AT)
2009-2020

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Klondike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:01 PM   #7
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Dick move from the cop. Thank you for protecting our streets from long boarders.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-14-2014, 07:16 PM   #8
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
Worst cop plays 2014, what the fuck was he thinking, someone could have been seriously injured. I don't see why he couldn't have pulled a u-turn after they had passed him and pulled them over like a sane law enforcer?
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-14-2014, 07:17 PM   #9
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,388 Posts
Nothing anyone says will change the fact that those longboarders were breaking the law. What the cop did may not have been the smartest move, however its blatantly obvious that what the longboarders were doing was illegal, and they should feel lucky that nothing worse happened.
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-14-2014, 07:18 PM   #10
Need to Seek Professional Help

If he didn't do that the longboarders would have rode right by. It was a necessity to get them to stop.

If they weren't speeding at 50km/h they would have had no problem stopping. I would have told them that if I was in the COPS shoes.
Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-14-2014, 07:22 PM   #11
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,824 Times in 3,904 Posts
very risky and dangerous move on the officer's part. He was looking for a new hood ornament

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastwood View Post
It was a necessity to get them to stop.

because u-turns are too mainstream
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-14-2014, 07:34 PM   #12
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Cop just helping speed up with the Darwin awards

Ironic how those idiots are trying to justify what the cop doing is dangerous when the exact same scenario will most likely happen with the public.

All it takes is a car backing up and you flying down the road and you go splat on the pavement.
tarobbt is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-14-2014, 07:59 PM   #13
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-14-2014, 08:12 PM   #14
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
This was discussed in the shitty drivers thread, but perhaps it needed its own thread.

Regardless of what the cop did, nothing will change the fact that those guys were in the wrong, and should learn that the road is no place for their activity.

For the record they are going much faster than 50 in that video. I can go to that exact spot and take a video of my going 50 and you will be able to tell they are going 70-80+km/h.

I will let what I said in the other thread speak to the rest:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamFries View Post
I'm not here to talk about the legality of longboarders on the road, we get it, it's unsafe.
Obviously the people who continue to do this do NOT get it, and apparently they won't until they end up dead under the wheels of a car.

Then what? You have not only done enormous harm to your own family, but think about what the other individual who hit you at most likely little to no fault of their own has to live with for the rest of their lives.

Like I said previously there is no room on the roads for a glorified skateboard, it simply poses too great of a risk.

I snowboard, and mountain bike, and I could easily harm myself heavily or even die doing either one of those things. In fact just this past year I broke both my hands critically mountain biking, but guess what I was doing so in an appropriate area where the only person who got hurt was myself.

When people do stupid things, they should do so where atleast if something is going to go wrong they can only hurt themselves.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-14-2014, 08:13 PM   #15
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
Long boarders are crazy. We had a kid in Nanaimo die a few months back right by his school while his mom was doing a parent teacher interview.

About 7-8 years ago had a customer come in buy a can of coke then ask for the washroom key. Comes out of the washroom and tells me to call 911 because he thinks he broke his collar bone. He tells me he was long boarding down the super steep hill up the road going 70 plus when he crashed. He had on no pads or helmet.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:14 PM   #16
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
WVPD is a joke. They have had some serious issues since 2006 and there officers are a joke right along with it.

Sure, these people were breaking the law but nothing that warranted putting anyone's life at risk to write a ticket for a misdemeanor.

"On 26 June 2007, the police board announced that it had hired Kashmir (Kash) Heed to begin as the new Chief Constable. The department had been without a Chief Constable since the 5th of December 2006, when Scott Armstrong's position as Chief Constable was terminated. Revelations of an after-hours social gathering at the police station, and the subsequent impaired driving arrest of a West Vancouver police constable, were the speculated reasoning for Armstrongs termination as Chief Constable. The city's mayor, however, denied the two incidents were linked.
On January 21, 2009, three off duty police officers were arrested after allegations of racial abuse, assault, and participation in a robbery in downtown Vancouver. The victim was identified as Firoz (Phil) Khan, a newspaper deliveryman. The police constables were then employed by; the Delta Police Department, West Vancouver Police Department and New Westminster Police Service. On January 26, 2009, the Vancouver Police Department recommended to Crown Counsel for criminal charges to be laid against the NWPS member for assault and possession of stolen property and the WVPD officer for robbery. At the same time, the DPD officer was cleared of any wrongdoing.
On January 27, 2009, the WVPD officer Griffin Gillan, was suspended with pay for 30 days the pending criminal charges. On January 28, 2009, Crown counsel approved one count of robbery against Gillan. Griffin Gillan was convicted of assault, and was sentenced to a 21 day conditional sentence plus six months probation. Following several disciplinary investigations, the officer was retained by the West Vancouver Police Department despite the criminal record, with a reduction in rank for one year."

Just a FEW of the issues. As of recent there chief resigned and WorkSafe BC was sent in to deal with racial and harassment issues with the WVPD.

When you have these sorts of issues, trying to run over kids doing stupid stuff is not a great idea IMO
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-14-2014, 08:26 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBB6 View Post
WVPD is a joke. They have had some serious issues since 2006 and there officers are a joke right along with it.

Sure, these people were breaking the law but nothing that warranted putting anyone's life at risk to write a ticket for a misdemeanor.

"On 26 June 2007, the police board announced that it had hired Kashmir (Kash) Heed to begin as the new Chief Constable. The department had been without a Chief Constable since the 5th of December 2006, when Scott Armstrong's position as Chief Constable was terminated. Revelations of an after-hours social gathering at the police station, and the subsequent impaired driving arrest of a West Vancouver police constable, were the speculated reasoning for Armstrongs termination as Chief Constable. The city's mayor, however, denied the two incidents were linked.
On January 21, 2009, three off duty police officers were arrested after allegations of racial abuse, assault, and participation in a robbery in downtown Vancouver. The victim was identified as Firoz (Phil) Khan, a newspaper deliveryman. The police constables were then employed by; the Delta Police Department, West Vancouver Police Department and New Westminster Police Service. On January 26, 2009, the Vancouver Police Department recommended to Crown Counsel for criminal charges to be laid against the NWPS member for assault and possession of stolen property and the WVPD officer for robbery. At the same time, the DPD officer was cleared of any wrongdoing.
On January 27, 2009, the WVPD officer Griffin Gillan, was suspended with pay for 30 days the pending criminal charges. On January 28, 2009, Crown counsel approved one count of robbery against Gillan. Griffin Gillan was convicted of assault, and was sentenced to a 21 day conditional sentence plus six months probation. Following several disciplinary investigations, the officer was retained by the West Vancouver Police Department despite the criminal record, with a reduction in rank for one year."

Just a FEW of the issues. As of recent there chief resigned and WorkSafe BC was sent in to deal with racial and harassment issues with the WVPD.

When you have these sorts of issues, trying to run over kids doing stupid stuff is not a great idea IMO
That has nothing to do with the discussion at hand, but if you just want to bash the PD for nothing to do with the case then fine.

A lot of PD's have issues, RCMP is no better than WVPD. The residents in that area want this dealt with, and thats why they pay the taxes to have their own PD to deal with this shit. Like I said no resident wants to kill "some kid", so stopping them is what they want of their cops.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:30 PM   #18
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
The officer probably could have handled this better... maybe do a U-Turn and pull them over like he would have with a car (I highly doubt any sane cop would pull directly in front of a speeder in a car, putting his car and his life in danger).

That being said, a lot of these longboarders are complete idiots who are perfect recipients of a Darwin Award... going downhill on a little board with hockey-puck wheels, with NO brakes, on a public road that is frequented not only by cars but also innocent pedestrians? Tell me more about how safe and considerate longboarding is. And don't give me that BS about cyclists doing the same thing, as they have brakes. These tards do not.
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:35 PM   #19
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,112 Times in 264 Posts
It's West Van....

Im sure they have handed out tons of $35 tickets.

Maybe previous longboarders that got tickets were like and used it as toilet paper.

Maybe the cop wanted to try a different approach.
Volvo-brickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:38 PM   #20
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
That has nothing to do with the discussion at hand, but if you just want to bash the PD for nothing to do with the case then fine.

A lot of PD's have issues, RCMP is no better than WVPD. The residents in that area want this dealt with, and thats why they pay the taxes to have their own PD to deal with this shit. Like I said no resident wants to kill "some kid", so stopping them is what they want of their cops.
Not bashing, just outlining who the WVPD are.
The cheif just resigned due to moral issues and now this.

When I lived in West Van I would often see Police down at the skate park and they never had any issues down there. Even saw a few on the park boarding from time to time.
The issue is the individuals who live outside the laws they uphold.

Stopping someone with a vehicle that leads to death is vehicular manslaughter...cop or not.
There is a very good reason why he is being investigated for his actions as the WVPD believes his actions were out of line to deal with some skateboarders.

When you see someone speeding towards you, knowing very well they have no way to stop in a short distance, the wrong action is to intentionally pull out in front of them. That is just stupidity on the part of the cop.
Sure, they are doing something illegal, but the cop can just as easily turn around and follow them with there lights on. No one gets hurt, they get there citation and everyone moves on.

Reminds me of when skateboarders were not allowed to board anywhere, they did it anyway because they were told they cant do it anywhere. Fast forward to today, it is now a common form of transportation and we have tons of parks around town.
People will always do illegal things. Give them a safe place to do what they want to do or keep dealing with this kind of issue.
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-14-2014, 08:40 PM   #21
private modder

Thanked 2,652 Times in 741 Posts
there's two debates.

1. should they be longboarding on public roads
2. was the officer's actions justified

The answer to the first question is no because it's illegal and the public risk to others.

But I think the answer to the second question is also no. One illegal action doesn't make allowance for another. It appears the officer turned left into oncoming traffic and nearly caused the collision. Thankfully the longboarders avoided him. Imagine if it was a teenager who smoked the truck and died. Would the cop be facing criminal charges? I'd bet yes. As we all know, if you turn left into oncoming traffic, you're always at fault. I think this rule applies here.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-14-2014, 08:43 PM   #22
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
I think they should start with raising the ticket amount from $35 to something like $350. That may deter some of the longboarders from recklessly riding on the roads... Why does it cost a car driver $139 for going 1km over the speed limit but it costs a longboarder $35 to illegally ride on the street? The punishment should fit the crime. Longboarders are endangering themselves and others by a much greater percentage than someone going 1km over the speed limit in a car.

A car can be only 2 out of the 3.
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-14-2014, 09:40 PM   #23

Quote:
Not bashing, just outlining who the WVPD are.
The cheif just resigned due to moral issues and now this.
Again, RCMP are no better. These problems exist in many detachments all over Canada. The problem is that cops are left to police themselves and that obviously isn't working.

Quote:
When I lived in West Van I would often see Police down at the skate park and they never had any issues down there. Even saw a few on the park boarding from time to time.
The issue is the individuals who live outside the laws they uphold.
Thats a designated skateboarding area, of course they were happy to see skateboarders utilizing the area. It was built for them to have an area to pursue their activities, much like the NS mountains and Whistler are legally home to thousands of trails for mountain biking.

Quote:
Reminds me of when skateboarders were not allowed to board anywhere, they did it anyway because they were told they cant do it anywhere. Fast forward to today, it is now a common form of transportation and we have tons of parks around town.
People will always do illegal things. Give them a safe place to do what they want to do or keep dealing with this kind of issue.
It's still illegal to skateboard on the street. And there is a difference between the skateboard and a longboard (or glorified skateboard), the difference is that the longboard has the capability of exceeding the speed limit. Which dramatically increases the danger one poses to himself and everyone around them.

They can take their actions to the Demonstration forest or they can find private land to build a track on or w/e, but the bottom line is GTFO the road, or eventually one of these young guys are going to end up being a skidmark on the road, and it will be heartbreaking.

This post thanked by:
Old 04-14-2014, 09:45 PM   #24
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
These guys sound like the biggest tools ever. Typical self entitled 'kids'.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:48 PM   #25
KO7
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

If they can't stop quickly, they have no business going that fast where there's pedestrians, cars and pets nearby.
KO7 is offline   Reply With Quote