REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > 4x4's and the Great Outdoors

4x4's and the Great Outdoors THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
When pavement meets dirt, Beautiful British Columbia
When life on tarmac isn't enough. This section is for 4x4 Offroad Events, Pics, Discussion. Places to test your truck, Techniques and Skills. Everyone of all skill levels are welcome. Got a wicked campsite you would like to share? Discover the great outdoors, gear discussion etc.
A little mud never hurts, so get down and dirty...

Old 01-26-2016, 08:25 AM   #1101
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
Comfortable and 1911?

What?!

1911 is a classic chassis and can be found in so many forms. I know shooting is a personal feel type sport, but I've always liked the way a 1911 feels. The dovetail always gave me a sense of safety. All it takes is for a glock to take out the webbing in your thumb/forefinger and you'll appreciate the dovetail.

I'm also fond of the way a CZ/Jericho feels in my hands. I'll take the polymer in a conceal/carry situation. But for the range I love my steel baby eagle. I would love to get one in a .45 cal, but the thought of having to buy and/or reload another caliber freaks me out. Plus, if you're going .45 baby eagle, you're not too far off from the real deal 50 cal DE.

What pistol chassis do you like CRS?
What about the rest of you shooters?
Advertisement
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 05:13 PM   #1102
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
I only have .22 pistols - and my Ruger Hunter is 1911'ish but more hand room - which works for my large mitts. Otherwise, I prefer my revolvers.
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 05:32 PM   #1103

I thoroughly enjoyed picking up my mail today as the rifle I have been waiting to arrive was finally waiting for me! I won the GOC contest for 6 months free financing and I have always had my eye on a new Steyr and I have also wanted to have one nice .270 in my safe....so I found exactly what I wanted at Prophet River and they took care of the rest.

Initially the Nikon I ordered was in stock but in between getting the paperwork sent another employee sold it. So, they contacted Nikon and they only had the 50mm objective in the same scope, so Prophet upgraded me at no extra charge. They mounted the scope and bore sighted it for me, all I need to do is get it to the range. I've been smiling all afternoon and already tinkering with it: cleaned it, added a cheek pad, and also added a sling.

Last edited by Zedbra; 01-26-2016 at 05:39 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2016, 06:59 PM   #1104
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

that's awesome steyr makes great rifles
incubus is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2016, 07:29 PM   #1105

Quote:
Originally Posted by incubus View Post
that's awesome steyr makes great rifles
I love that cold forged swirl in the barrel. People have varying opinions about this rifle, but I wanted it and so I got it.

Prophet River was awesome to deal with - big kudos to them. Multiple emails answered almost immediately with updates about every piece of info they came across. When Nikon sent the 50mm scope they did also find and ship the 42mm version (it is a Monarch 3 in 4-16 x 50mm). Prophet said they would stand by their offer to upgrade me for free, but I offered to pay the difference and they wouldn't take it from me. Prophet did not charge me for: shipping, mounting the scope, and bore sighting the scope. Top class owner and staff - this is my second rifle I have bought from them now since Christmas and I know it won't be my last.

Too bad Scott pissed me off, hey incubus?
Old 01-26-2016, 09:19 PM   #1106

it happens, hope we can make it right one day
Old 01-27-2016, 01:23 PM   #1107
they call me the snowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedbra View Post
Otherwise, I prefer my revolvers.
I didnt bring out the S&W last week when I went to the range. I regretted it right away. That said, I can holster my 1911 there which is great for living the cowboy life. But the revolver would have made it even more legit.

So...... who is Scott, and what did he do?
Old 01-27-2016, 03:28 PM   #1108

Scott's the owner and a great guy, we were just trying to figure out Nikon prices and couldn't match at the time.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:23 PM   #1109

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
I didnt bring out the S&W last week when I went to the range. I regretted it right away. That said, I can holster my 1911 there which is great for living the cowboy life. But the revolver would have made it even more legit.

So...... who is Scott, and what did he do?
Owner at International - I had bought a bunch of stuff there in the past from Ryan and they had a Nikon scope I wanted but Scott freaked out when I asked if he would match Reliable's price (it was only about a $90 difference for the same scope - so why not ask), spouting that he would only make 20% mark-up and that's not enough. The whole time he was pacing back and forth and kinda talking loudly to the floor. I walked out the door and haven't been back; he can have his precious mark-up and I will spend my thousands elsewhere.

Reliable didn't work out well, the girl there (who is known for her attitude) ignored me for a while, eventually dropped the scope on the counter and walked away. As much as I hated to do it, I ordered the scope from Cabela's (cheaper than both locations). I try to support my local gun shops and I stop at almost all of them throughout the provinces as I travel, but if they want to throw an attitude and be their own worse enemy, then I just scratch that off the list as a business that will get any of my money.

In this crappy economy and poor dollar, I would be happy to get 20% for my retail commodities. Gun shops are going to feel that low dollar this year and inventory will have dust.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:45 PM   #1110
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
What?!

1911 is a classic chassis and can be found in so many forms. I know shooting is a personal feel type sport, but I've always liked the way a 1911 feels. The dovetail always gave me a sense of safety. All it takes is for a glock to take out the webbing in your thumb/forefinger and you'll appreciate the dovetail.

I'm also fond of the way a CZ/Jericho feels in my hands. I'll take the polymer in a conceal/carry situation. But for the range I love my steel baby eagle. I would love to get one in a .45 cal, but the thought of having to buy and/or reload another caliber freaks me out. Plus, if you're going .45 baby eagle, you're not too far off from the real deal 50 cal DE.

What pistol chassis do you like CRS?
What about the rest of you shooters?
There haven't been a lot of chassis that I don't like.

I'm a pretty big fan of Sig, M&P, Glock, and CZ (though that's basically saying Sig twice).

The only manufacturer that I'm not at all a fan of (due to the placement of their safety) is Springfield.

HK fit a bit too big for me but that's about all I can think of.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-29-2016, 07:44 AM   #1111

Has anyone here bedded their own rifle? Looking into trying this on a few of my guns and I'm wondering if there are any hints people have learned along the way.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:01 AM   #1112
they call me the snowman

Quote:
In this crappy economy and poor dollar, I would be happy to get 20% for my retail commodities. Gun shops are going to feel that low dollar this year and inventory will have dust.
Isn't that the truth.
Gun shops have always been very cliquey, even more so in the 90's. But because of guys like incubus and a few other fellows at Int'l, I feel good when I go in there. I don't have any dealings with the older fellows there, and I'm just fine with that. They have a bit more of an old school way of communicating with customers.

Incubus, keep kicking ass my man.
Just keep the IT away from me. That guy is always looking for an argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
There haven't been a lot of chassis that I don't like.

I'm a pretty big fan of Sig, M&P, Glock, and CZ (though that's basically saying Sig twice).

The only manufacturer that I'm not at all a fan of (due to the placement of their safety) is Springfield.

HK fit a bit too big for me but that's about all I can think of.
I need to get my hands on a glock. I haven't shot one in years, but they're incredibly popular. I've always thought, "why shoot a glock when you can shoot something better". But the time has come to give them a chance again.

Quote:
Has anyone here bedded their own rifle? Looking into trying this on a few of my guns and I'm wondering if there are any hints people have learned along the way.
I did some mild bedding on my last 10/22 stock.
Use tape between the barrel and the stock when using JB weld so you can pull it apart if you ever want to.

You can then sand down the JB to make the perfect fit.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-29-2016, 10:50 AM   #1113

Quote:
Isn't that the truth.
Gun shops have always been very cliquey, even more so in the 90's. But because of guys like incubus and a few other fellows at Int'l, I feel good when I go in there. I don't have any dealings with the older fellows there, and I'm just fine with that. They have a bit more of an old school way of communicating with customers.

Incubus, keep kicking ass my man.
Just keep the IT away from me. That guy is always looking for an argument.

I did some mild bedding on my last 10/22 stock.
Use tape between the barrel and the stock when using JB weld so you can pull it apart if you ever want to.

You can then sand down the JB to make the perfect fit.
That IT you describe is probably Scott. I really like dealing with Ryan, but I'm a stubborn Irishman as well and I have no use for people like Scott. lol

I'm going to read a bunch more on bedding.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:55 PM   #1114

So I managed a little time at the range today. I didn't have a lot of time, it was pouring rain, and I only had factory Norma 130g and Federal Blue Box 150g ammo to try. I forgot my cleaning rod and I didn't bother with a Chronograph - I'll get to that when I reload.

Everything was tight, the mag, the bolt, the safety - all of it. Smooth, but stiff - I needed to push the bolt with similar force as my K31. A fellow showed up about an hour into my range time (I was there by myself prior) and he immediately walked up and asked to look at it, he recognized what it was immediately and had only seen one on the internet prior. Me too, prior to buying it online.

He was a big Tikka fan and had three with him in .308, so we agreed to do a gun swap later into the shoot. The Tikka T3 Varmit bolt was really smooth and light - I could operate it with my pinky. When he tried my Steyr, he thought that the cartridge was jammed as the bolt needed a good push to get it to close. I tried a Steyr bolt in the past, so this is not news to me, but the Tikka bolt action impressed me, to say the least. One of his rifles also had the new Trijicon 4-16x50mm illuminated scopehttps://www.trijicon.com/na_en/produ...RS29-C-1900020 and the glass was nice, though I didn't care for the large illuminated cross hairs.

What I learned about the Pro Hunter:

* The 8.7 twist rate balances 150g bullets well - much better than 130g, so this is a .270 with a punch. I can work with that.
* The trigger is 3.5lbs with only a couple of millimetres of creep - I will work on that.
* The machine tolerances are tight tight tight.
* Not sure how I feel about the synthetic mags - time will tell. They were stiff to load both cartridges into them and also rounds into the chamber, I'm sure they will loosen up.
* Takes along time to cool the barrel between 3 or 4 shot groups
* The stock comb height works well for me with high Talley rings and the cheek pad with only 3-4mm of height
* I kind of like the two stage mag insert feature - single load with the mag half in or tap and load from mag - great hunting option.
* This thing is loud for a .270 but the recoil is minimal compared to my 7mm that I usually shoot.
* The Nikon scope is easy to adjust and reset zero without tools - very nice optic for this rifle

Setting up - target tree is for my .22 CZ

Nikon Monarch 3 4-16x50mm

Off-hand first three shots at 100 yards with Federal Blue Box 150g (squares are 1")

Off-hand at 100 yards, trying to zero 1" high with Federal Blue Box 150g

This post thanked by:
Old 01-30-2016, 08:55 PM   #1115
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Zebra, loved the barrel and bolt handle. And good shootin'

Dormant gun enthusiast here. Have a few in my collection, here's a picture of some of my favourites. (Sorry for the random sizes)
Sig P226 MK25 9mm and Sig P226 ST .40 cal

Remington 870 Police Magnum

Colt Series 70 full-size Government 1911A1 .45 ACP

CZ 452 Mannlicher stock .22 LR

Marlin 1894 .357/.38 Cowboy Limited with octagonal barrel

Winchester 1892 made by Miroku in Japan 44 magnum

Mossberg 590A1 with OKC M7 bayonet
mr00jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-30-2016, 10:05 PM   #1116
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Hey incubus, does international carry the Vortex Spitfire 3x?

Looking to get it locally but it doesn't seem anyone carries it.

Spoiler!

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 11:56 PM   #1117
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,648 Times in 2,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr00jimbo View Post
Zebra, loved the barrel and bolt handle. And good shootin'

Dormant gun enthusiast here. Have a few in my collection, here's a picture of some of my favourites. (Sorry for the random sizes)
Sig P226 MK25 9mm and Sig P226 ST .40 cal

Remington 870 Police Magnum

Colt Series 70 full-size Government 1911A1 .45 ACP

CZ 452 Mannlicher stock .22 LR

Marlin 1894 .357/.38 Cowboy Limited with octagonal barrel

Winchester 1892 made by Miroku in Japan 44 magnum

Mossberg 590A1 with OKC M7 bayonet
how you liking the mk25? kinda regret not grabbing that one on CGN right away lol

totally wanna get into IPSC in the future
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 12:23 AM   #1118

I can check on Tuesday I'll let you know,

idpa and 3 gun over ipsc
This post thanked by:
Old 01-31-2016, 06:50 AM   #1119

Jimbo - nice collection you shared. I love the Marlin and the FS CZ. If you want to ever sell either of those two, I'd love to talk.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-31-2016, 08:25 AM   #1120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansterdam View Post
how you liking the mk25? kinda regret not grabbing that one on CGN right away lol

totally wanna get into IPSC in the future
I'm really liking the MK25. Sig has changed its parts like the extractor and the grips, and the MK25 makes them more traditional (traditional grips, short extractor) plus three Italian-made Mec-Gar magazines. I think the MK25 has better overall fit and finish because they have to phosphate coat stuff so it seems they went over it better.
So far only about 300 rounds through it but it feeds, fires and extracts beautifully.

Quote:
Jimbo - nice collection you shared. I love the Marlin and the FS CZ. If you want to ever sell either of those two, I'd love to talk.
Thank-you for the compliments. I'll absolutely keep you in mind if I want to sell those two.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-01-2016, 10:07 AM   #1121
they call me the snowman

Jimbo, I really like that Mossy 590 you have. The Bayonet is such crazy overkill, that it just works!

I hit up the Langley rod and gun club with a buddy the other day. It was a nice experience. Small and indoor, but only about 15 minutes from my house. I brought out my pistol collection, and the 10/22 for the boy to shoot. We had a good time out there, but they sure like to take things slow. No loaded mags on the bench, no more than five rounds per mag. I walked out of there with a smile on my face, and about the same amount of ammo that I came in with. But it was a lot of fun. Plus, its nice to shoot the pistols indoor at this time of the year.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:25 AM   #1122

please sign this when you get a chance, even if you don't have a ar. we must stand together as gun owners.

https://petitions.parl.gc.ca/en/Peti...Petition=e-111
This post thanked by:
Old 02-02-2016, 05:21 PM   #1123

Quote:
Originally Posted by incubus View Post
please sign this when you get a chance, even if you don't have a ar. we must stand together as gun owners.

https://petitions.parl.gc.ca/en/Peti...Petition=e-111
I signed that a while ago, and I have no black guns or any interest in them. I would love to see people hunting with them, though.

This post thanked by:
Old 02-02-2016, 07:06 PM   #1124

This post thanked by:
Old 02-02-2016, 07:44 PM   #1125

Quote:
Jimbo, I really like that Mossy 590 you have. The Bayonet is such crazy overkill, that it just works!

I hit up the Langley rod and gun club with a buddy the other day. It was a nice experience. Small and indoor, but only about 15 minutes from my house. I brought out my pistol collection, and the 10/22 for the boy to shoot. We had a good time out there, but they sure like to take things slow. No loaded mags on the bench, no more than five rounds per mag. I walked out of there with a smile on my face, and about the same amount of ammo that I came in with. But it was a lot of fun. Plus, its nice to shoot the pistols indoor at this time of the year.
I've used it to obliterate some cabbages before, haha

Sadly I haven't shot my pistols in over a year...I can't find a range that I like. Either it's too damn crowded, too far of a commute, too restricted rule-wise or something.
A buddy of mine shoots at a range in Chilliwack and he says good things about it, but gotta be a member.