REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > 4x4's and the Great Outdoors

4x4's and the Great Outdoors THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
When pavement meets dirt, Beautiful British Columbia
When life on tarmac isn't enough. This section is for 4x4 Offroad Events, Pics, Discussion. Places to test your truck, Techniques and Skills. Everyone of all skill levels are welcome. Got a wicked campsite you would like to share? Discover the great outdoors, gear discussion etc.
A little mud never hurts, so get down and dirty...

Old 02-26-2021, 09:40 AM   #2126
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
For the first several hundred, I would be using heavier 124g bullets to get that recoil spring worked in. I had issues with 115g bullets on my Canik within the first 300 rounds as well. Pump some more through it and let things break-in. A tight fitting 1911 can take a little time to all mesh - but that's a good thing down the road.

I personally don't strip clean my pistols until after a 1000 rounds or more, there isn't a need. I do take a rag and either Ballistol or G96 with me to the range and simply wipe the barrel tip, the load ramp, and the magazines before putting back into my case to take home. Then I leave them until the round count gets up there. My revolvers I will clean the cylinder face better when I get home, but I don't ream anything down the barrel until over a 1000 rounds - there's simply no need and it prevents muzzle wear; I have seen some rifles that had minimal rounds down the tube yet the muzzle needed to be re-crowned as the owners cleaned the heck out of them after every time they took it out.

I wondered about the 1911's without the bushing as to how you pulled the slide. I came across this video, seems like a cool little tool.

Advertisement
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-26-2021, 10:05 AM   #2127
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,772 Times in 1,171 Posts
I'll keep using the reloads as they have the heavier 125gr bullets (these guys basically: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pr...dKKDVvJF6vSuEg) and go through a few more boxes to break the gun in, hopefully these are just break-in problems and they go away. I wanted to clean and inspect the gun to see if there were odd marks or anything that wasn't normal in the feed ramp/barrel area as people mentioned that could be an issue for a 9mm 1911. I found the feed ramp to be absolutely black, and caked on with carbon or residue - it took quite a few patches to see a shiny clean surface, so I figured cleaning it wouldn't hurt any, and might prevent feeding problems in the future.

The Glock I only clean after a couple of range sessions Once the Kimber is broken in I might do the same thing, but still getting used to owning a 1911.

The takedown tool isn't so bad once you get used to it, and in a pinch people say you can use a paperclip to do the same thing. Just have to be careful I guess. I've managed to reassemble it in the wrong orientation (tool facing down) and had to re-field-strip the gun to get it so I can get the tool out lol.
fml
roastpuff is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-05-2021, 08:26 AM   #2128

Range report!

Went back to the range and ran 6 boxes through the Kimber, roughly 300 rounds. Found that one mag wouldn't lock back consistently when empty - one of the Mec-Gar mags has a slightly different, larger/longer basepad which doesn't seem to seat quite as nicely as the other Mec-Gar mags, and is iffy as to whether the slide lock back when empty. None of the other mags had this issue so I'm assuming it's a fit issue with this particular style of base pad. Going back to Reliable to see if I can swap it for a different Mec-Gar mag with a lower profile basepad.

Had some FTEs - the casing would be partially ejected, but still in the chamber, thus causing the gun to not feed the next round as the casing would be blocking the next round from coming up to feed. I think this is an extractor tension thing? As I'm swinging by Reliable Gun anyway, I'll bring the gun to have them take a look at it as I don't have the gauges to check the tension, and I'd rather not eyeball it.

Other than that, the gun ran quite well and shot really nicely when not having FTE issues. Hopefully once the extractor is tensioned correctly it will be more reliable and not have issues!
fml
This post thanked by:
Old 03-05-2021, 05:52 PM   #2129

Nice. I need to get out to the range, might go on Sunday and pump a few hundred 9mm as well.
Old 06-23-2021, 11:12 AM   #2130
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

hopefully everyone is doing good.

figured I'd share sales here.

go tenda has a good deal on the ruger rpr also
incubus is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-07-2021, 01:24 AM   #2131
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

So anyone been to the range recently?
jasonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 08:13 AM   #2132
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,339 Times in 969 Posts
yes i was at Vancovuer Gun Club.. (Richmond) and man 5 stand and shooting skeet is awesome... It's been 2 yrs for me since I shot.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 12:53 PM   #2133
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Isn’t that shotgun only? Bought a m2 over a year ago and haven’t even shot it yet haha.

Anyone a abby member?
jasonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 11:23 AM   #2134
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,312 Times in 5,633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
yes i was at Vancovuer Gun Club.. (Richmond) and man 5 stand and shooting skeet is awesome... It's been 2 yrs for me since I shot.
We’re they still requiring a separate controller? Ie. a designated person to press the button?

Used to do drop in for their sporting clays all the time but having to have a designated person to press the buttons made us stop going because it meant Somone wasn’t shooting
Old 11-13-2021, 08:37 AM   #2135

Any of you get out hunting this year? I was able to bring home a bear and a moose, so the freezer is full.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-13-2021, 08:58 AM   #2136

Nope, but I did pick up a PC9 and I’m itching to try it out!
fml
This post thanked by:
Old 11-15-2021, 10:19 AM   #2137

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
Nope, but I did pick up a PC9 and I’m itching to try it out!
Quite popular now, eh. Interested in your opinion on it once you get it broken in.
Old 11-16-2021, 06:54 AM   #2138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedbra View Post
Any of you get out hunting this year? I was able to bring home a bear and a moose, so the freezer is full.
Brother and I got a deer each. Mine was a nice 3 point where as he had a huge spiker. Honestly wasnt really what id consider a spike bike as the single tines were like 10" long, kinda weird
Old 11-16-2021, 03:38 PM   #2139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Brother and I got a deer each. Mine was a nice 3 point where as he had a huge spiker. Honestly wasnt really what id consider a spike bike as the single tines were like 10" long, kinda weird
Do you just sausage your deer like so many others?
This post thanked by:
Old 11-16-2021, 06:45 PM   #2140

Quote:
Do you just sausage your deer like so many others?
We did..or at least will be lol

Can’t really be bothered with steaks etc. frankly I just don’t find them that tasty.

I’ll cook up the back strap on site but what we’ve been doing for the last 10 years or so is just take the quarters come, cube up all the meat, then either bring to our butcher right away or freeze it and bring it once he’s available

Pepperoni and breakfast sausage this time around. Got around 135lb of meat off the 2 deers. It’s much easier and pleasing to give away to the people we hunt with/friends and family in sausage form lol
Old 11-17-2021, 04:55 PM   #2141

I just smoked some bacon wrapped Dutch eggs last week, wrapped the eggs with moose sausage I made myself. Half I spiced with garlic pepper and the other half with spicy Italian sausage. I just store the sausage in flat vacuum sealed bags, stuffing them takes forever and then all you can do with it is eat them like a regular sausage.

I can't upload a pic, guess there is a total limit, I'm at 8.64mb of pics. Don't even know how to delete whatever may be in that memory.

Okay, so I went to check and none of my pics were showing and it will not let me add one. Is this forum-wide, or just a special circumstance?

Last edited by Zedbra; 11-17-2021 at 05:08 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-02-2022, 04:34 PM   #2142

Picked up a quite unique 22LR rifle this weekend, a Mauser MS420. 1930s production, very interesting short travel bolt, and shoots like a dream for a ~90 year old gun. Has an interesting assortment of sights - blade front sight, no ramp, flip down buckhorn sights and a peep sight on the back. Plus a Weaver K4-60B on rings.

That was using Eley Action at ~25 yards on a makeshift bench rest (ammo box). I think this gun is a shooter, and has a ton of interesting history.
fml
This post thanked by:
Old 10-06-2022, 06:20 AM   #2143

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
Picked up a quite unique 22LR rifle this weekend, a Mauser MS420. 1930s production, very interesting short travel bolt, and shoots like a dream for a ~90 year old gun. Has an interesting assortment of sights - blade front sight, no ramp, flip down buckhorn sights and a peep sight on the back. Plus a Weaver K4-60B on rings.

That was using Eley Action at ~25 yards on a makeshift bench rest (ammo box). I think this gun is a shooter, and has a ton of interesting history.
That's a beauty rifle you found there. Our range keeps closing down - extreme fire potential. This makes me want to get the kids out for another .22 and pistol day.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-06-2022, 08:29 AM   #2144

Quote:
That's a beauty rifle you found there. Our range keeps closing down - extreme fire potential. This makes me want to get the kids out for another .22 and pistol day.
This summer has been so busy with get togethers and summer activities that I haven't gone to the range as much as I wanted. Wife did get her PAL eventually so that's one great firearms-related thing that happened!

As a last hurrah for handguns, I snagged a Jericho 941F ex-Israeli police surplus, it's still on the transfer waitlist so it'll be here eventually but looking forward to trying out the gun.
fml
This post thanked by:
Old 10-09-2022, 09:15 PM   #2145

I wanted one of those Jericho's for a long time when I was considering my first 9mm, I liked the weight and low barrel design. However, I jumped right in with my Canik TP9 SFX as a first 9mm and it has been a lot of fun to shoot.

In the middle of all the Covid sh!te, I coordinated a PAL and RPAL course with my wife, son, and a bunch of friends; held it at our Masonic Lodge. My son has his Youth licence and my wife got both her Pal/RPAL, though it took 9 months for her licence to process. I finally got her to call in to see what the hold up was - turns out the CFO wanted to know how long she has been a Canadian citizen. I didn't like hearing that, as it shouldn't matter - all citizens should be treated equal. Anyways, I transferred my Colt 22 into her name as it never really fit my large mitts anyways. Not bad, eh? Wish my first pistol was a Colt. lol

Anyways - the hardware

This post thanked by:
Old 02-14-2023, 08:19 AM   #2146

Well, my Jericho finally arrived. It's chunky and heavy but feels so very comfortable to hold. Will take it out to the range once the other letter arrives. Finish is quite beat up so thinking about possible refinishing... and then maybe make a Spike replica.

fml
This post thanked by:
Old 02-15-2023, 07:58 PM   #2147
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
Nice to see this hobby is still alive.

I haven't gone shooting in years, but I still own my firearms.

I think last I heard, Trudeau's attempt to pass some law to restrict firearms ownership even further got struck down last second, but he/someone/something is going to try again soon?
Old 02-27-2023, 10:05 PM   #2148
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,761 Times in 903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
Nice to see this hobby is still alive.

I haven't gone shooting in years, but I still own my firearms.

I think last I heard, Trudeau's attempt to pass some law to restrict firearms ownership even further got struck down last second, but he/someone/something is going to try again soon?
Ever since they made 2/3 of my shit prohibited I haven't followed too closely. I think they tried to make some last second amendment to the bill to further ban more types of firearms then the hunters among many others lost their shit and finally they backed out. I don't know I haven't gone shooting in 3 years now and my ARs are just sitting there rotting away. Just get this stupid buyback going so I can get it over with. I've also been so afraid to buy anything because it might just get stolen from me too gah.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-26-2023, 07:00 PM   #2149

Violent crime at the highest rate in 30 years - all on the uprise in the last 8 years - since we had a Liberal government. Funny how virtue signalling that you are getting hard on guns is only aimed at law-abiding gun owners and the criminals run amock. This hurts all the population - hope it isn;t your family that is affected.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...-years-statcan

Quote:
The uptick in violent crime in 2022 was primarily driven by the rise in homicides as well as an increase in armed robbery (15 per cent) and extortion (39 per cent).

The data, released Thursday, show crimes involving the use of firearms in a threatening or violent manner in 2022 were up for the eighth consecutive year, four-per-cent higher than 2021, and are 60 per cent higher than they were 2013. Firearms crimes related to possession, storage and handling were stable last year, the statistics agency said, after several prior years of increases.