REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > 4x4's and the Great Outdoors

4x4's and the Great Outdoors THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
When pavement meets dirt, Beautiful British Columbia
When life on tarmac isn't enough. This section is for 4x4 Offroad Events, Pics, Discussion. Places to test your truck, Techniques and Skills. Everyone of all skill levels are welcome. Got a wicked campsite you would like to share? Discover the great outdoors, gear discussion etc.
A little mud never hurts, so get down and dirty...

Old 12-20-2017, 03:08 PM   #1876
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
Why are you selling it?
ARs aren't totally my thing, I just wanted to have one because I can (smoke on that Goodale). I spoke a bunch to incubus before buying one, he liked his Sig, so I started to look for one for myself. It is tight, no wobble or play between upper and lower like so many others say is 'normal' with the platform. My range doesn't allow rapid fire, so I decided to build an AR that is suited for long range slower shooting - and you can see the beast up above I just completed. So, I don't need two ARs - but I do want a new 7mm RM, and with me blowing the budget on the Rizzini, I am needing space in my safe and cash in my pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
I was a little overconfident when I made these rounds. In fact, I've narrowed it down to the automatic powder dispenser ever so gently crushing my brass. I haven't had the time to reset everything, but no biggie as I have no time to shoot right now anyway. I may just bite the bullet (no pun intended) and buy a freedom bucket from Cabelas just to run some copper down the pipe.

To answer your question, I have to ask my own question.
Dafuq does FL mean? I measured the overall length, and the diameter of the neck and base of my brass. But I'm finding that I learn things as I go on. I had no issues with my 357, whether in my revolver or my lever. I guess I just got a little cocky when it came to the 223.

FL = full length, which is the acronym used in the biz. Regardless of what others tell you, professional shooters and reloaders will tell you to always FL your brass. Yes, it stretches it more and you may not get those extra 3 or 5 reloads, but you will get consistent accuracy that is not specific to one chamber of one rifle (which neck sizing often does). You decide.
Advertisement
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 08:47 AM   #1877
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedbra View Post
FL = full length, which is the acronym used in the biz. Regardless of what others tell you, professional shooters and reloaders will tell you to always FL your brass. Yes, it stretches it more and you may not get those extra 3 or 5 reloads, but you will get consistent accuracy that is not specific to one chamber of one rifle (which neck sizing often does). You decide.
Remember when we were talking about the unreliable nature of the Lee classid press? Well, you were right. Measuring the OAL (I refuse to use FL!! ) there is a difference of almost an 1/8th of an inch between rounds. Not only that, but many of the rounds have .02" of bulge in the neck and base of the brass.

I bought myself a few xmas gifts at Cabelas the other day that will help me prepare my brass better. When I was using the Lee for my 357 rounds, there were no issues. They fed in my lever action, and rotated freely in the revolver. But the semi auto 5.56 are a little more finicky, and I need to take a bit more time ensuring that they're put together properly.

That said, I bought 1000 rds of this the other day.

Federal® American Eagle® Tactical® Rifle Ammunition
.223 Remington 55 Grain FMJ-BT 100rds
$34.99

Plus they give you a rebate form for another 5 cents off per round.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/10339...fle-ammunition

edit: As I was getting the link to post, I bought another 300 rounds
$116 shipped is a smoking deal considering the 300 round freedom buckets are $169 before tax.

Merry Xmas, gun thread participants!
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-22-2017, 12:39 PM   #1878

I'll let you know how .223 reloads on my new Redding T7 press.

And damn you - just ordered 600 rounds of that ammo from Cabelas
This post thanked by:
Old 12-22-2017, 03:20 PM   #1879
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,913 Times in 3,873 Posts
I got a new scope to throw on my .22, so now I can take the scope off the .22 and put it on my K31. Unfortunately for me the rings are weaver and the scope adapter is dovetail, am I better off buying new rings or do dovetail -> weaver spacers work well enough?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 03:59 PM   #1880
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
Remember when we were talking about the unreliable nature of the Lee classid press? Well, you were right. Measuring the OAL (I refuse to use FL!! ) there is a difference of almost an 1/8th of an inch between rounds. Not only that, but many of the rounds have .02" of bulge in the neck and base of the brass.

I bought myself a few xmas gifts at Cabelas the other day that will help me prepare my brass better. When I was using the Lee for my 357 rounds, there were no issues. They fed in my lever action, and rotated freely in the revolver. But the semi auto 5.56 are a little more finicky, and I need to take a bit more time ensuring that they're put together properly.

That said, I bought 1000 rds of this the other day.

Federal® American Eagle® Tactical® Rifle Ammunition
.223 Remington 55 Grain FMJ-BT 100rds
$34.99

Plus they give you a rebate form for another 5 cents off per round.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/10339...fle-ammunition

edit: As I was getting the link to post, I bought another 300 rounds
$116 shipped is a smoking deal considering the 300 round freedom buckets are $169 before tax.

Merry Xmas, gun thread participants!
tr8r

just kidding
incubus is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-22-2017, 05:30 PM   #1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
I got a new scope to throw on my .22, so now I can take the scope off the .22 and put it on my K31. Unfortunately for me the rings are weaver and the scope adapter is dovetail, am I better off buying new rings or do dovetail -> weaver spacers work well enough?
What scope rail did you buy? Mine is the Swiss Arms that mounts to the side, and it takes 11mm rings; I use low rings with a 42mm objective. I wouldn't want to mount the scope any higher. I'd buy some new rings - I'm a fan of the Burris Signature rings.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-22-2017, 05:40 PM   #1882
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,913 Times in 3,873 Posts
I've got the Swiss Products offset clamp mount. The rings it has now are pretty short, and the spacers would only add a couple mm to the height, but I'd rather not have to crank the snot out of the rings to make sure the spacers don't let anything move around. The .22 has similar spacers but they're bolted to the rifle, and I don't want to have to worry about precisely drilling and tapping the mount.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 10:41 AM   #1883

The Burris Signature rings comes with both clamps for dovetail and 11mm. Plus, they have the offset inserts you can buy to aline the scope, but the inserts also prevent ring marks on your scope.

Anyone here interested in my Sig M400 Enhanced? Less than 200 down the pipe. I see a rifle I want, so I am only going to keep one AR.
Old 12-25-2017, 01:10 PM   #1884

My boys were excited when they opened their new CZ Scout with a Burris Timberline scope. I didn't have time to mount the scope prior, as I needed to drift the rear sight out to be able to mount the scope low enough for them. underscore - I used Burris Signature rings.

Old 12-26-2017, 02:29 PM   #1885

I managed to get the boys out to the range today, it warmed up to -3c. It took them a bit to get used to looking through a scope (and the eye box is tight on the Timberline) but once they figured it out, they sure got happy with every shot that got the metal targets swinging. A fond dad memory, indeed.

This post thanked by:
Old 12-30-2017, 05:00 PM   #1886
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,325 Times in 5,641 Posts
Awesome, one of my best Xmas memories (besides getting my N64 nothing will ever top that! Lol) was getting my first .22 then a few other guns from my dad. Best presents!
Old 01-01-2018, 04:22 PM   #1887

I started the New Year off with a bang by attending the SVRGC's annual prize trap shoot. There were about 40 shooters in total, some from Vancouver gun clubs and many from Pemberton. You should have come down roastpuff.

The sun was out, the 40cm of snow was cleared, the temp stayed around -5c, and so the games were on. I won two rounds and almost won two more - I was shooting real good up until the end when I seamed to have lost my focus; so I packed it up and I'm still smiling. Prizes were all meat prizes, so I chose a turkey and a large package of chicken breasts - not bad for $5 entry fee per game.

This post thanked by:
Old 01-01-2018, 10:27 PM   #1888
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,173 Posts
Quote:
I started the New Year off with a bang by attending the SVRGC's annual prize trap shoot. There were about 40 shooters in total, some from Vancouver gun clubs and many from Pemberton. You should have come down roastpuff.

The sun was out, the 40cm of snow was cleared, the temp stayed around -5c, and so the games were on. I won two rounds and almost won two more - I was shooting real good up until the end when I seamed to have lost my focus; so I packed it up and I'm still smiling. Prizes were all meat prizes, so I chose a turkey and a large package of chicken breasts - not bad for $5 entry fee per game.

Looks beautiful out!
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 01:23 PM   #1889
they call me the snowman

^
It looks cold out!

Zed, love the pics of the boys. They look like they're excited as hell to plink some rounds with their new rifle.

I'm in need of some help finding this particular adaptor.
It's the Wheeler brand magwell attachment for an AR to be used with the tipton best gun vice.

I'm finding them on amazon and ebay, but they're incredibly expensive at $35+ and an additional $45 to ship.

Bullseye London had them for $24.99, but they're out of stock.

Any ideas?
Old 01-03-2018, 02:52 PM   #1890

Quote:
^
It looks cold out!

Zed, love the pics of the boys. They look like they're excited as hell to plink some rounds with their new rifle.

I'm in need of some help finding this particular adaptor.
It's the Wheeler brand magwell attachment for an AR to be used with the tipton best gun vice.

I'm finding them on amazon and ebay, but they're incredibly expensive at $35+ and an additional $45 to ship.

Bullseye London had them for $24.99, but they're out of stock.

Any ideas?
pmd
Old 01-03-2018, 02:54 PM   #1891

It was cold, but we had a fire pit going and a wood heated shed with lots of chili.

As for you AR block: https://selectshootingsupplies.com/p...ell-vise-block

Wheeler® Delta Series AR-15 Mag Well Vise Block - 4GT.com

edit - or just wait for incubus. lol
Old 01-08-2018, 07:42 PM   #1892

I just got my shipping notice from Cabelas for that .223 ammo I bought Dec 22nd.

But...I found my unicorn that I was seeking - an unfired Steyr Pro Hunter in 7mm Rem Mag with an adjustable trigger. It's gonna be mine all mine. **fist pump**
Old 01-09-2018, 08:49 AM   #1893
they call me the snowman

Quote:
edit - or just wait for incubus. lol
incubus hooked me up.
The magwell adapter works pretty well too. I was using it with the t97 the other day. I figured it would work with any AR magwell gun, but it was good to see it in action.

Quote:
I just got my shipping notice from Cabelas for that .223 ammo I bought Dec 22nd.

But...I found my unicorn that I was seeking - an unfired Steyr Pro Hunter in 7mm Rem Mag with an adjustable trigger. It's gonna be mine all mine. **fist pump**
Not bad at all.

But I'm more excited about the .223 ammo. I got my 1000rds, but the order for an additional 300 never went through. I wonder if I bought it while "celebrating" the holidays, and never got around to entering my CC info.

Old 01-09-2018, 10:34 AM   #1894

Quote:
incubus hooked me up.
The magwell adapter works pretty well too. I was using it with the t97 the other day. I figured it would work with any AR magwell gun, but it was good to see it in action.

But I'm more excited about the .223 ammo. I got my 1000rds, but the order for an additional 300 never went through. I wonder if I bought it while "celebrating" the holidays, and never got around to entering my CC info.
Celebration libations and gun buying go hand in hand - you are on the right road to survive in this sport.

hey incubus - can you hook up another with that magwell adapter?
This post thanked by:
Old 01-09-2018, 12:40 PM   #1895
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,763 Times in 905 Posts
Quote:
Hmm ok I just bought my first shottie as well as a 2nd order of misc stuff a week ago and have yet to receive any shipping notification which to be is pretty out of the norm for ordering shit online but I guess it's normal with them.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:11 AM   #1896

next time let me know we do price match.

Shipping shouldn't take that long.

https://www.gotenda.com/ is always running good sales and gets orders out in a fairly reasonable time
Old 01-11-2018, 01:24 PM   #1897

Thanks for hooking me up, incubus! Was good to see ya again.

My Steyr 7mm RM arrived this morning and to be honest, all I can think of is mounting my scope on it when I get off work. I have an addiction.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-11-2018, 09:12 PM   #1898

I bought Steyr Pro Hunter SS in .270 a few years ago and it quickly became my favourite hunting rifle I have that will consistently put groups into one bullet hole at 100 yards. So I wanted another in my favourite moose calibre, 7mm Rem Mag. I discovered that Steyr stopped making these rifles in 7mm Rem Mag even before I bought the .270, stating that they do not make enough money on these Pro Hunters, as they simply wanted a $1000 rifle in the market. So, I started my search.....and kept searching....until a few weeks ago.

After 2 years, I was able to locate an unfired Pro Hunter in 7mm RM, so I quickly made it mine. It showed up in the mail today and I wasted no time mounting the rings and scope as well as giving the rifle a thorough cleaning. The bolt is very smooth and the trigger has no creep - breaking at 3.25lbs. I'm going to have a long and meaningful relationship with this rifle; looking forward to getting it out in the field.

Steyr Pro Hunter 7mm RM, Leupold QR bases w/high rings holding a Nikon Prostaff 5 mildot FFP 4.5-18 x 40mm.

This post thanked by:
Old 01-12-2018, 09:04 AM   #1899

Always a pleasure

That's a good looking gun

prophet river is running a liquidation sale on nikon scopes

Rifle Scopes - Nikon - LIQUIDATION - Prophet River Firearms
This post thanked by:
Old 01-12-2018, 05:22 PM   #1900
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,763 Times in 905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by incubus View Post
next time let me know we do price match.

Shipping shouldn't take that long.

https://www.gotenda.com/ is always running good sales and gets orders out in a fairly reasonable time
Oh is this the place you work at or whatever? Good to know, I like options. Favorited.

Thanks!

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is online now   Reply With Quote