REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Rider's Journals (https://www.revscene.net/forums/riders-journals_353/)
-   -   Sunfighter's Triumph Daytona 675 (https://www.revscene.net/forums/694670-sunfighters-triumph-daytona-675-a.html)

Sunfighter 04-23-2014 07:59 AM

Sunfighter's Triumph Daytona 675

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys ... I will chronicle the life of my Triumph Daytona 675 in this thread here.

The bike is seven years old but has only 4300KMs on it. That said, the condition of this bike is not even close to that of my old CBR600RR. It appears to have been wasting away in a garage on stands for AT LEAST the last four years... it's surprisingly how badly a bike can waste away just from neglect.

There is a small scratch on the swingarm and some gauges on the engine cover... otherwise it is in good condition but just filthy (surprised the chain can move).

More info later... :)

Sunfighter 04-24-2014 09:44 AM

A hot steam bath wasn't enough to even start cleaning this bike ... I pulled out the brushes and started working with degreaser ... the chain is very loose... I am going to tear off the nose and farings and scrub the entire motor and body over the next few days...

****Two Brothers CF exhaust is installed ... good sound but I really like the look of the factory exhaust....

Started ordering some parts :

-OEM CF rear hugger
-OEM CF front mudgaurd
-Flush front signals
-GB Racing frame sliders
-British Customs Gel Seat
-OEM Cowl

320icar 04-24-2014 09:48 AM

the daytona 675r is my realistic dream bike. i have always fucking loved it. not just the looks but god damn that sound! i love how (by noob straddling it) it doesn't feel to big.

jelly for realz

Sunfighter 04-24-2014 12:49 PM

I love the R... and although this isn't one I hope it will one day resemble it... :)

Bike is now in pieces :) mission accomplished. I enjoy cleaning! I am MUCH happier now... the sprockets and chain will be my project for tomorrow. They resemble something that emerged from tunnelling for the new Evergreen Line in Port Moody... lol

Pictures soon I promise guys.

Vale46Rossi 04-24-2014 01:08 PM

Congrats on the new purchase!

Sunfighter 04-26-2014 11:06 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Oil done. Coolant done. Detail done (above and below farings)... exhaust, levers, etc... hoping the rest of the new parts arrive soon. :)

z3german 04-26-2014 12:50 PM

Looking very nice!

Sunfighter 04-29-2014 04:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Parts are arriving. :)

FS1992EG 04-29-2014 04:58 PM

Plasti dip white and dark grey 2 tone would be so sick!

!Nhan 04-29-2014 07:35 PM

favorite bike of all time. would get one if i started to ride...

Sunfighter 05-10-2014 09:52 AM

So I officially crossed the line with this project.

CF front fender is attached...

I have ordered a brand new nose, tail, all new fairings, the updated 2009+ headlights, HID bulbs and ballasts, new seat, CF swingarm covers, the bike has been tuned to go with the exhaust and I ordered an aero windsheild...

Sunfighter 05-10-2014 09:53 AM

The bike will be a completely new colour... the last thing I need is a new tank. :)

I'm going to convert to the modern Triumph "sport" logos on the tank....

Sunfighter 05-10-2014 09:55 AM

Also, I bought a new blank key. :) Hopefull bike will be road ready in about a month....

?NR 05-16-2014 09:15 AM

:lol "road ready" according to your impeccable standards.

Sunfighter 05-17-2014 04:50 PM

4 Attachment(s)
?NR ... trust me... it's brutal having to have things perfect... I can never enjoy them!!!

Today was the teardown... when I get back from business next weekend I might start the engine teardown.... :)

Sunfighter 05-18-2014 10:13 AM

And here is the FINAL mod list... I am just gonna enjoy it once she is all back together. :)

-2009+ OEM Tornado Red Nose w/ OEM headlights
-2009+ OEM Tornado Red Fairings
-2009+ OEM Tornado Red rear tail
-Proton Flush Sidemarkers
-GB Racing Front Spools
-GB Racing Rear Spools
-GB Racing "bullet" Frame Sliders
-PSR red Oil Filler Cap
-LighTech Quick Release Gas Cap
-OEM Triumph Carbon Fibre Front Mudguard (already installed)
-OEM Triumph Carbon Fibre Rear Hugger
-Pazzo Shorty Levers (already installed)
-Sato Racing Hook in gold
-Woodcraft Stator Cover (to replace the factory one that was repainted)
-Zero Gravity SR windsheild
-Dynojet Power Commander III
-Two Brothers carbon exhaust (already installed)
-Triumph Anodized Top Yoke Nut
-British-customs "Track CF" Gel Channel Seat
-Xenon Expert 4300k HID kit (low-beam only)
-OEM Tornado Red Fuel Tank
-K&N Filter

Sunfighter 05-31-2014 09:50 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Alright guys, finally had some time to start bolting on a few of the parts and managed to test fit the new fuel tank. Forgot to order some fairly important parts so I won't be able to actually bolt the tank on for a week or two (needed new gas cap seal, fuel pump seal, tank bracket, flanges, etc.).

Sunfighter 05-31-2014 09:56 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are the boxes that the bodywork arrived in.

The bodywork had 0 KMs on them. I found a guy in Ontario who builds track bikes for he and his wife on one of the Triumph forums and he has been sitting on a garage full of new plastics. We worked out a great price for the rear tail, front nose, headlights, and side fairings. He didn't have the front mudguard but since I already had the OEM CF unit it didn't matter.

I will have a seperate update but I am currently installing the Xenon Depot 5000k HID (low-beam only) into the new face... amazingly high-quality kit. MUCH better than the DDM kit... almost factory plug-and-play.

Sunfighter 05-31-2014 09:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the new updated 2009+ face compared with the older 2005+ face. Notice as well the total CRAP quality of the paint work on the graphite face. The bodyshop that repsrayed it did a horrific job... big part of my motivation for the big project.

Also - without the windsheild in place they look like angry rabbits.

Sunfighter 05-31-2014 09:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
So yesterday I officially bolted on the rear tail ... I am still waiting for the OEM red cowl to come in stock and am still debating about whether to replace this OEM rear tail with a CF one but this will do for now. Unfortunately, I murdered the wires under the tail for the LED plate bolts so that will have to be another project. I'm not great with wiring.

Sunfighter 05-31-2014 10:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Side-view... I actually think it works really well with the Two Brothers CF exhaust....

Sunfighter 05-31-2014 10:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The rear spools that were on this bike already were crap... to tight to fit a stand properly and actually caused me to severely scratch my beautiful swingarm on the right side... I cried about that for hours (though still my fault of course).

Anyways ... I ordered the GB Racing spools... they are biggers, so it's easier to mount a stand under them and they extend farther from the body so they should be able to do more for protection...

Sunfighter 05-31-2014 10:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The rear passenger pegs are gone because I will never use them but I hated the empty holes... saw these Sato racing hooks (tiedowns) and they meshed with some other gold bling on the bike so I thought they would be perfect... just re-used the bolts from the factory pegs.

Sunfighter 05-31-2014 10:07 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Then installed the OEM Triumph rear Carbon Fibre hugger ... Bestem makes a cheaper version but they are back-ordered 5-6 weeks and the Triumph dealer on Powell gave me a great deal on this (like the front CF mudguard) because they had been sitting on them for years.

Sunfighter 05-31-2014 10:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I love the CF front mudgard but the factory reflector is HORRENDOUS... it looks like it came off a 1980s BMX bike... knowing Triumph, it probably did. You can see some of earlier pictures above to see it. I found a factory stainless bolt to replace it and just fill the hole nicely.

I also installed the front GB Racing Spools....