REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Intent to prohibit (https://www.revscene.net/forums/694690-intent-prohibit.html)

Adorkami 04-23-2014 07:46 PM

Intent to prohibit

I was wondering if anyone here has successfully reversed and intent to prohibit? I ended up getting it because of speeding and drive contrary to restriction (no N displayed). It wasn't radar, I was pulled over for going faster than the officer next to me and he charged me for both offences. I notice I have two options I can either begin the prohibition immediately or I can make a written submission about why I should not lose my driving privileges. I plan on disputing it as this is the second time I've been charged with speeding in over 14 years of driving and don't think I should be considered a dangerous driver. I saw in a previous thread that the 2 year probation to obtain your class 5 is reset so was wondering in the time my submission is being reviewed am I able to try and obtain a class 5 licence.

MindBomber 04-23-2014 07:48 PM

You've been driving for 14 years and have your N? :fulloffuck:

SoulCrusher 04-23-2014 07:48 PM

You've been driving for 14 years and still have an N ?
Posted via RS Mobile

Adorkami 04-23-2014 08:08 PM

I know, I've been lazy. I don't drink and I only have people in my car that are my age or are family so I never saw the reason to inconvenience my work to get the time off.

CRS 04-23-2014 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adorkami (Post 8460538)
I know, I've been lazy. I don't drink and I only have people in my car that are my age or are family so I never saw the reason to inconvenience my work to get the time off.

Unless you work 7 days a week, I would hardly consider it an inconvenience to your work.

Lazy is not getting your class 5 in a year or two. What you have a whole new scale of procrastination.

Adorkami 04-23-2014 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRS (Post 8460553)
Unless you work 7 days a week, I would hardly consider it an inconvenience to your work.

Lazy is not getting your class 5 in a year or two. What you have a whole new scale of procrastination.

I thought they are only open Monday - Friday for testing. I used to be an idiot when it came to working and would do 70-80 hours a week, cut back a lot since I had a kid so I can spend more time with him

dared3vil0 04-23-2014 09:50 PM

You've been driving for "over 14 years", so you have to be ATLEAST 30 years old... With an N... :lawl:

yray 04-23-2014 10:25 PM

wait... how old is the GLP program?

Adorkami 04-23-2014 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yray (Post 8460648)
wait... how old is the GLP program?

I think 15 years, might be 16 years

zulutango 04-24-2014 05:03 AM

I think you had better read that letter you got very carefully to see what it actually says. The ones I have seen say that you ARE prohibited when you get the letter but have a certain time limit IF you want to appeal. In other words, the letter you got prohibited you immediately when you got the registered letter and you are now prohibited for the time period listed on the letter. You can appeal to have the prohibition lifted earlier but you are prohibited while you use the appeal process.

Soundy 04-24-2014 07:42 AM

Wait, you've been driving for 14 years and STILL have your N???

Subbed for potential epic thread... :toot:

320icar 04-24-2014 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 8460722)
I think you had better read that letter you got very carefully to see what it actually says. The ones I have seen say that you ARE prohibited when you get the letter but have a certain time limit IF you want to appeal. In other words, the letter you got prohibited you immediately when you got the registered letter and you are now prohibited for the time period listed on the letter. You can appeal to have the prohibition lifted earlier but you are prohibited while you use the appeal process.

This!!! If you have receive this letter and signed for it, it is the equivalent of bring served in person. It takes effect immedietly and you are henceforth prohibited from driving! I got one of these in 2010 for complicated reasons. Please re read the letter carefully and stop driving immedietly if indicated
Posted via RS Mobile

corollagtSr5 04-24-2014 10:03 AM

If you dispute, the prohibition is lifted. You can then go take your class 5, go to court, get owned, then get suspended and have your class 5 taken away, which you will later get back after time served, or have your class 7N suspended and have to wait another 2 years to get your class 5. Whats another 2 years though if you've already had it for 16 years.

snails 04-24-2014 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 320icar (Post 8460772)
This!!! If you have receive this letter and signed for it, it is the equivalent of bring served in person. It takes effect immedietly and you are henceforth prohibited from driving! I got one of these in 2010 for complicated reasons. Please re read the letter carefully and stop driving immedietly if indicated
Posted via RS Mobile

yes, this is correct. i received one.. didnt read it thoroughly and continued driving while i thought it was in dispute. then i got a letter in the mail acknowledging the dispute and it started with "we acknowledge you have forfeited your licence from (date) till current"

that shit gave me a heart attack cuz i still had my licence in my wallet and didnt know my licence was useless for the time i was driving.

luckily i didnt get in an accident or i would not have been covered.

now, with my dispute they did cut the time. but i doubt they would cancel it.

now when you have to get you licence back.. its not cheap. you have to pay a re installment fee. you have to pay for a new licence. any tickets or points you have over 3 ($100 a point over 3).. for me is costed $1000 to get it back. $300 ticket, 6 points (driving without consideration) new licence and the re installment fee is like 2-300$ iirc

stewie 04-24-2014 10:46 AM

might be time to upgrade to a class 5...

what will you do when you come across 2 hot girls and they want to go home with you? whip out the N and take one girl with you and give the other girl cab money and tell you to meet her at your place?

ilovebacon 04-24-2014 10:49 AM

You can hire a lawyer and you can explain the situation with them. It costed me 2 thousand dollars for them to write a submission for me and believe me they were professional at doing these kind of things. But unless you have a good explanation about why u need your licence for and what would happen if you lose your license. If you need your Dl to work then it's already good enough for you to keep it as it can lead you to lose your job. Obviously that the more responsibility you have the better your letter be and they don't care if you need it for gym or to just to get around. The reason I hired a lawyer is because I have about 5 more months before I can get tested for my class 5 and it is very disappointing if I would have to wait another 2 years for it. The two reason why they wanna prohibited me was for two tickets that were for no N signs!! -.-
Posted via RS Mobile

stewie 04-24-2014 10:57 AM

^ sorry to say this, but i've really no sympathy for people who get ticketed for forgetting their N sign. people try to use the "it got stolen" excuse, or " i left it in my trunk and forgot". how hard is it to put it inside the window in that little pouchy thingy? doesn't even need to be in the pouch, just as long as its decently visible, that way it doesn't matter who drives the car, but every time that YOU drive it, it will be good and ready to go.

seems like a simple way to avoid a stupid ticket.

Tone Loc 04-24-2014 11:19 AM

It honestly all depends on the adjudicator who reads your submission letter. I disputed my prohibition and I still lost, even though I clearly outlined I would lose my job if I didn't have a valid drivers' license. That being said, the "job" was driving a food/beverage golf cart around Playland/PNE in order to pay for university, and I was 18. Had to take out student loans, which kinda sucked, but I guess to the OSMV it is all based on the "seriousness" of your situation. Which, still living at home, I'll admit wasn't super strong.

However, my uncle faced the same thing a few years back, he is a delivery courier and he was able to get his boss to write him a supplementary letter, as well as copies of his paychecks, mortgage payments, budget, car payments, RRSP/RESP for his kids, etc., in order to prove that he would be basically put under the poverty line and his family would fall apart as he was the sole breadwinner if he lost his job. He won, obviously.

The submission fee is $100 and is non-refundable if you win or lose the dispute. Just another thing to consider...

Also, get your Class 5. IMO you are putting yourself at risk for un-necessary suspensions and putting yourself at the mercy of the 7N restrictions for no good reason.

Adorkami 04-25-2014 11:14 PM

Called ICBC to find out if I was able to take my test even though I had received the notice. The person I spoke with wasn't sure so I was transferred over to Victoria, was told that I am able to still drive and go for a road test within 30 days (paper says 21 days but they allow extra time in case of mail delays) They also increase that time while the review is being processed.

I still think failure to display an N or L is mainly just a cash grab. Perhaps I'm wrong though, are there any examples of where a N or L being displayed made the streets safer? If you say you're more cautious around them would that mean you are less cautious around other drivers?

Oh well, got my test in a couple of days...

320icar 04-25-2014 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovebacon (Post 8460835)
You can hire a lawyer and you can explain the situation with them. It costed me 2 thousand dollars for them to write a submission for me and believe me they were professional at doing these kind of things. But unless you have a good explanation about why u need your licence for and what would happen if you lose your license. If you need your Dl to work then it's already good enough for you to keep it as it can lead you to lose your job. Obviously that the more responsibility you have the better your letter be and they don't care if you need it for gym or to just to get around. The reason I hired a lawyer is because I have about 5 more months before I can get tested for my class 5 and it is very disappointing if I would have to wait another 2 years for it. The two reason why they wanna prohibited me was for two tickets that were for no N signs!! -.-
Posted via RS Mobile

Sorry bro, but you're gonna have to tell us what you drive, and how it's worth 2 grand to get your license back. If you are telling the truth on just N signs, they would only prohibit you 3 months.
Posted via RS Mobile

Soundy 04-26-2014 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adorkami (Post 8461821)
I still think failure to display an N or L is mainly just a cash grab. Perhaps I'm wrong though, are there any examples of where a N or L being displayed made the streets safer? If you say you're more cautious around them would that mean you are less cautious around other drivers?

Dear God, this forum needs a Fail button!

cctw 04-28-2014 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adorkami (Post 8460657)
I think 15 years, might be 16 years

Impossible.

I'm the lucky kid that had the GLP program kick in 2 months before my 16th birthday (yes it was in October, I remember very clearly) and had to go through the whole thing while my friends in the same year got their full license at 16.

Its only been 10 years...I dunno what you were driving for those extra 4 or 5 you're claiming

ilovebacon 04-29-2014 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 320icar (Post 8461827)
Sorry bro, but you're gonna have to tell us what you drive, and how it's worth 2 grand to get your license back. If you are telling the truth on just N signs, they would only prohibit you 3 months.
Posted via RS Mobile

yes they were going to prohibit me for 3 months but that's not the point. The point was that it would had effected me from getting my class 5 as it would make me wait for another 2 years. I actually had a talk with a lawyer who was named Kevin Filkow. He actually said that it was 2500$ but since i was referred by a friend he cut me some slack and offered me 2000$. some of you guys would say, hey! why not just stick your N sign on and you wouldn't have this kind of trouble. But in my situation, i have friends who are already class 5 and they actually wouldn't even have an extra N sign in their car as they don't need it, and it just so happened that on that day a friend couldn't drive home so i suggested to take the wheel so we both could get home. I was not driving reckless nor speeding and a vpd officer pulled me over that night and he handed me my 109$ ticket.. i was pretty outraged because they had no solid excuse on pulling me over and btw i was not driving no beat up car.

to OP, if you are still wondering if you should get a lawyer for your situation, i suggest you talking to kevin as he is very professional at his work.
you can also contact him thru this website. the location of his office is the one that is in richmond.

http://www.bcdrivinglawyers.com/cont...iving-lawyers/

sho_bc 04-29-2014 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cctw (Post 8463195)
Impossible.

I'm the lucky kid that had the GLP program kick in 2 months before my 16th birthday (yes it was in October, I remember very clearly) and had to go through the whole thing while my friends in the same year got their full license at 16.

Its only been 10 years...I dunno what you were driving for those extra 4 or 5 you're claiming

Actually, what you're claiming is impossible. I'm in my early 30s and had to go through the GLP. The rules weren't as strict back then (just had the time in the N stage before going for the class 5 licence and having to put up the N sign), but it was in place at least 16 years ago.

320icar 04-29-2014 05:26 AM

^ what he is saying is that if you had taken the icbc lessons and stuff, you only had your L for a very short amount of time, and same for your N with no limit on passengers. Under 1 year you could go from no license to L, N and then full class 5. That's what my brother had. Whereas for me i has an L for a year, then after two years of an N u can get your class 5. Total is 3x longer time than my brother, and with more restrictions
Posted via RS Mobile