REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-02-2022, 06:00 PM   #33976
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcedot View Post
https://vancouver.craigslist.org/pml...440997229.html

I'd probably buy this over the Honda Type R. I think they look better and are even more rare on the road for the JDM peeps.
They are pretty horrible to drive as a daily. The turbo doesn't make power until 3.5k rpm and the trunk is tiny. It's a good car when you have enough road to blast around though. The Type R is a better all around car

Also Mitsubishi has fragile paint so it's best to at least clear bra the front end to prevent rock chips.
Advertisement
jcmaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 06:11 PM   #33977
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,729 Times in 895 Posts
They aren't bad, kinda a pig on gas and the tank isn't that big, like 60l? I think. You're pretty much undefeatable in corners doe in any weather which is handy in Vancouver
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 06:15 PM   #33978
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,532 Times in 1,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by forcedot View Post
https://vancouver.craigslist.org/pml...440997229.html

I'd probably buy this over the Honda Type R. I think they look better and are even more rare on the road for the JDM peeps.
As someone who was in the market for any 45K fun, dual-duty car, the Evo X (and a 370z for that matter) was ruled out cause I couldn't justify the shit interior quality for that kind of money. Arguably, a 10K e36 m3 or E46 has better interior quality than these cars.

This specific car is for a very specific buyer, who are not usually the same as FK8 buyers. FK8 buyers are like Golf R buyers. They want to be able to track, but it's gonna be 90% daily. Which on that spectrum, both cars are very emotionless - it's like a really good precision tool. It does the job with no drama.

Man I miss my BMWs.

Further to the trunk thing, I fit an extra large shovel and 6 bags of de-icer with no drama in the Type R. I've also heard of some people fitting two sets of tires&wheels as well. Or maybe it was just tires.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 06:18 PM   #33979
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmaz View Post
They are pretty horrible to drive as a daily. The turbo doesn't make power until 3.5k rpm and the trunk is tiny. It's a good car when you have enough road to blast around though. The Type R is a better all around car

Also Mitsubishi has fragile paint so it's best to at least clear bra the front end to prevent rock chips.
They are both great cars, chances are if you are buying a Type R or Evo, you've somewhat accepted a harsher more performance oriented drive.

The Evo from what I recall was faster on a track and has AWD, so it depends what you are looking for in a daily and how prepared you are to be uncomfortable.

Looks like the ad price was bumped from 45k to 50k now.
forcedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 06:47 PM   #33980
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,004 Times in 1,909 Posts
^ I wouldn't do either for $50K ... I feel like a broken record. For that money ... I'd get a 2018/19 Golf R and have coin to spare.

What would the Evo or Civic Type R have that the Golf R doesn't ... for less?
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-02-2022, 07:05 PM   #33981
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
If it was an evo 9, I’d say some character and rarity, but not in the 10s case. They are all good cars, but an R just seems better, and easier.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-02-2022, 08:13 PM   #33982
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 2,282 Times in 489 Posts
I still have nightmares of when I worked at Mitsubishi back in 2007 when the X came out. Interior trim falling off closing doors, if you rubbed the console wrong it scratched, rear seats don’t fold down. Such an impractical car for what customer it was aimed at.
'10 E92 M3 (sold)
'10 ZDX (sold)
'10 STI (sold)
'08 Mazdaspeed 3 (sold)
'04 RSX (sold)
'92 300ZX (sold)
‘94 Ford Probe GT (sold)
bcuzracecarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 09:10 PM   #33983
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,815 Times in 3,329 Posts
^ that sounds like every gen of evo

My old Evo V was exactly that but loved driving the thing.

13' Nissan DBA-R35 GT-R Black Ed - Black met. - "Sophia"

00' Acura 1.6EL - // Power of dreams Project - "Unity"

02' Nissan M35 Stagea - "Wynn"

91' Honda EF Civic CX - "Xander"

- The Drinker of Many Many Coffees @ McLaren Vancouver
tofu1413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 09:29 PM   #33984

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
^ I wouldn't do either for $50K ... I feel like a broken record. For that money ... I'd get a 2018/19 Golf R and have coin to spare.

What would the Evo or Civic Type R have that the Golf R doesn't ... for less?
The MK7.5 R's interior quality and infotainment was great. I loved being in that car. Trunk was a little small tho. It had ACC and lane keep, but it didn't matter. The manual transmission in that thing sucked balls and all I've experienced was BMW (which is known to be the absolute worst).

The only reason I chose a Type R over the Golf R is because the manual transmission was significantly better than the Golf R's. Both are numb, but the Type R was just better to shift and clutch engagement was better as well.

I'd have stuck with German cars if it felt right. They were both same price and VW Richmond was willing to negotiate on the price. Speaking of which, AJ at Cowell VW (Richmond) was a great person to work with. Probably one of the best dealership experiences I've had. Great service, no bullshit. I can't say the same about Destination Honda lol.

This post thanked by:
Old 02-02-2022, 09:41 PM   #33985

^ Nothing that a Thule box or a rear hitch can't fix ...and DSG .
Old 02-02-2022, 09:54 PM   #33986
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
The MK7.5 R's interior quality and infotainment was great. I loved being in that car. Trunk was a little small tho. It had ACC and lane keep, but it didn't matter. The manual transmission in that thing sucked balls and all I've experienced was BMW (which is known to be the absolute worst).

The only reason I chose a Type R over the Golf R is because the manual transmission was significantly better than the Golf R's. Both are numb, but the Type R was just better to shift and clutch engagement was better as well.

I'd have stuck with German cars if it felt right. They were both same price and VW Richmond was willing to negotiate on the price. Speaking of which, AJ at Cowell VW (Richmond) was a great person to work with. Probably one of the best dealership experiences I've had. Great service, no bullshit. I can't say the same about Destination Honda lol.

From what I've read, the R clutch assembly is a parts bin from the GTI, which in itself was notoriously shit even on stock GTI power. So you're already pushing an already on the limit clutch even more with the power difference. There's aftermarket solutions obviously, but who the hell would make the first mod a clutch upgrade when the R is already better out of the box like you said?
Old 02-03-2022, 05:30 AM   #33987
I don't get it

Quote:
As someone who was in the market for any 45K fun, dual-duty car, the Evo X (and a 370z for that matter) was ruled out cause I couldn't justify the shit interior quality for that kind of money. Arguably, a 10K e36 m3 or E46 has better interior quality than these cars.
I've owned an Evo X, and an E36, and the Evo is WAY nicer inside. I had the SSS package, and the Audio system sounded great.

I also LOVED the Recaros in there. Best seats I've owned not counting the ones in the Lotus.

Yes, there's some plastic but at least it isn't glossy.

The cheapness that bothered me was on all the clips and fasteners. I felt like they were going to break every time I did anything under the hood. Also, no fold down rear seats really sucked if you wanted to go skiing.

The main reason why I got rid of it (after 4 years) was how slow it was off the line in traffic. Unless you dropped the clutch it just didn't go anywhere until you were doing 15km/h. That, and I had 3 cars and just one parking space.

edit: 50k? Holy shit.. I think I bought mine almost new for 30k CAD down in LA.. I sold it for something like $25 with 23,000km on the clock.
Dbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 10:30 AM   #33988
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,225 Times in 1,027 Posts
Quote:

I was looking at the 7.5R and wife said it looked like an old man's car

That and I was coming from a MS3 and she's like, it's the same form factor in that it's a 5 seat hatch/short wagon while the R is smaller and slightly less practical in terms of cargo room. Why are you buying the same car?

Since I wanted a manual and the clutch was known to go if you even sneezed at it, plus wife would drive it and potentially ride the clutch a bit more, it wasn't gonna happen.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 11:32 AM   #33989

rocking the mk7 R with DSG.

probably the swiss army knife of hatch backs.

so nice to daily and adequately fast. that LKA stuff is weird af though. Could use just a hair more power and thats about it.

only thing I hate so far is the brake hold and its jerky when it goes into reverse... otherwise a pretty solid hatchback imo.

Was strongly considering the FK8, but I don't want to drive stick on my commute.... and the MK7 flies under the radar better than the FK8 (saved my ass on hwy 1 a few times already)

Last edited by tofu1413; 02-03-2022 at 12:06 PM.
Old 02-03-2022, 11:38 AM   #33990
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
I would love the Golf R in a wagon format. It's available in other markets but not here. The hatch design just doesn't have enough room for family needs.
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-03-2022, 12:05 PM   #33991

yeah, the standard car's short fall is I don't find the trunk deep enough for cargo.

It just fits the length of a standard recycling box.

This post thanked by:
Old 02-03-2022, 12:24 PM   #33992
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,010 Times in 1,890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Aznboi128 View Post
back in 2012/2013 hell ya. Now... no... wouldn't even trade my lowered CRV.
Just pretend it's 10 years ago, that way you can also feel 10 years younger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
rocking the mk7 R with DSG.

probably the swiss army knife of hatch backs.
can confirm it's a swiss army knife in the snow

cc @DEADBEA7

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay

Last edited by mb_; 02-03-2022 at 12:47 PM.
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-03-2022, 12:40 PM   #33993

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Aznboi128 View Post
I would love the Golf R in a wagon format. It's available in other markets but not here. The hatch design just doesn't have enough room for family needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
yeah, the standard car's short fall is I don't find the trunk deep enough for cargo.

It just fits the length of a standard recycling box.
Some have tried to dress up a Golf Wagon 4motion to a near Golf R Variant ... maybe around ~ 250 hp with some tuning and some suspension goodies, quad exhaust. Close and maybe enough for a stealth family hauler wagon? Or the recent/newer Audi A4 Allroad, already at ~250 hp and Quattro stock. And with a bit of tuning ... closer to 300 hp.

What I would love to see is the Audi RS3 hatchback (quattro and ~ 400hp) in NA! A tad more trunk space than a Golf, I think. Maybe just enough to be functional.

Last edited by whitev70r; 02-03-2022 at 02:02 PM.
Old 02-03-2022, 01:27 PM   #33994
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Thanked 2,740 Times in 359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by white rocket View Post
Are those C63's decent or a potential money pit? Maybe more reliable being N/A compared to the newer V8TT? The previous Ronald Type R ownership should add value and comfort knowing how he cares for his vehicles. Kinda neat that it's red too. I dunno, this is looking like a fun car for sightly under $40k.
I think they are actually very decent to own. This one has only 70,000km and looks to be taken care of. It's a pretty basic small car - no hydraulic suspension or brake-by-wire as on bigger Mercedes so less to go wrong. Common things needing replacement would be engine mounts, valve cover gaskets, and rear tires. The camshafts can show wear and the cam adjusters can make noise but it's unlikely with lower milage and proactive oil changes.

I believe he dynoed the car and it put down 440whp so it's healthy.

I think this gen of C63 is that next level of special compared to an ISF or M3. Mercedes took their biggest engine and shoved it in the c-class. BMW would have needed it to put the V10 into the M3 to match the C63.

With the 'p31' package it has SLS engine internals which is really the icing on the cake.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-03-2022, 03:13 PM   #33995

Quote:
Some have tried to dress up a Golf Wagon 4motion to a near Golf R Variant ... maybe around ~ 250 hp with some tuning and some suspension goodies, quad exhaust. Close and maybe enough for a stealth family hauler wagon? Or the recent/newer Audi A4 Allroad, already at ~250 hp and Quattro stock. And with a bit of tuning ... closer to 300 hp.

What I would love to see is the Audi RS3 hatchback (quattro and ~ 400hp) in NA! A tad more trunk space than a Golf, I think. Maybe just enough to be functional.

well..............

If i took the motor and brakes out of my wife's TT RS..... and graft it into the Golf R..........

DIY 5CYL Golf R?

@MB___ just had to execute that perfect power slide to impress you

Old 02-03-2022, 04:26 PM   #33996
Media Officer / MOD

Quote:

You can certainly get more power from the 1.8 but it won't feel like the 2.0, that big bore power. Then there's all the other bits and pieces, I looked into it before to get a golf wagon to look like a golf R isn't cheap.

Pay to play I guess.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-03-2022, 11:17 PM   #33997
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,174 Posts
I would have loved to have a Golf R wagon to replace the GTI, but they aren’t available. Too poor to afford the RS6, so settled for the A4 Allroad. It’s still surprisingly fast for a fairly fat wagon.
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-03-2022, 11:19 PM   #33998

APR made one iirc or maybe just the cosmetics. It was for sale in 2020

Old 02-04-2022, 07:00 AM   #33999
Media Officer / MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
I would have loved to have a Golf R wagon to replace the GTI, but they aren’t available. Too poor to afford the RS6, so settled for the A4 Allroad. It’s still surprisingly fast for a fairly fat wagon.
A4 wagon looks good, has decent power but I can't justify that Audi badge $$

I'm just a pleb
Old 02-04-2022, 07:10 AM   #34000

Quote:
APR made one iirc or maybe just the cosmetics. It was for sale in 2020

Did you mean RPI? If you scroll to the bottom of link, 2nd last vehicle, you'll see it. There is also an RPI RS6 ... only for $190K!

https://rpiequipped.com/automobiles-for-sale/
This post thanked by: