REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:55 PM   #51
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

I thought this was a great article on the subject from the Vancouver sun.

spoiler for article:

Spoiler!
Advertisement
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:15 PM   #52
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Foreign worker program made immigration consultants in Surrey big money because people in countries like India are willing to pay upwards of $50k to get their kids out. And there's a lot of businesses out there used as fronts just to bring in foreign workers.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:03 PM   #53
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Having some familiarity with the field, I am not at all convinced that Canada has a shortage of software developers. There is probably a severe shortage of software developers willing to work for <$40k/yr, but offering only those kinds of salaries is both an insult to the programmers and industry and some totally unrealistic expectations in the first place.

I am also not convinced that we have a shortage of visual effects artists in Vancouver and Toronto. I know a few people who work/worked in the animation industry and their common gripe is that there isn't enough work out there, and what work is available tend to be entirely contract-based, and usually only available over shorter terms. I suppose that's how the nature of the business is, in the sense that work is very much a come-and-go, per project type of thing. But to say that there is a shortage of these skilled workers seems very unconvincing to me.
Agreed. I'm in the IT field. In the past 3 years, we laid off 50 percent of our staff in our branch (s/w developers , qa testers, business analysts etc.). The ones who were laid off early were the ones that were getting paid 6 figures and were old.

Recently, we have been hiring again. But now, it's younger folks with much cheaper salaries. Even from the dot com bubble burst of the early 2000, there are TONS of IT professionals out there that never got their foot back in the IT industry and had to switch careers.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:09 PM   #54
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

It's only going to get worst. They have started doing it for regular construction jobs! Trades are now bring affected. There are contractors that have applied for the program and have been bringing in joe some construction guys. Even east Indian builders use it to bring people here to work. This is one of the reasons how they get the price down to $90 per sq ft. To build a house.

My friends and I have written to our MPs and j suggested those concerned do the same. It starts off with fast food and retail but its now in trades and constructions, and you can't tell me you need foreign workers in Vancouver to put up drywall.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:52 AM   #55
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iEatClams View Post
It's only going to get worst. They have started doing it for regular construction jobs! Trades are now bring affected. There are contractors that have applied for the program and have been bringing in joe some construction guys. Even east Indian builders use it to bring people here to work. This is one of the reasons how they get the price down to $90 per sq ft. To build a house.

My friends and I have written to our MPs and j suggested those concerned do the same. It starts off with fast food and retail but its now in trades and constructions, and you can't tell me you need foreign workers in Vancouver to put up drywall.
when houses are being built, couple guys in my dept or myself have to go to the house to hook up their water lines or upgrade the water line from a 3/4" to a 1" line from the watermain. 99% of the guys i work with have construction backgrounds, and while the houses are being built and are still just a frame they cut corners like no other...doing anything to save a few bucks. makes me question the inspector who checks out the house (specifically by east indians...from what ive personally seen...not all, but a LOT). its as if they put the house up as fast as humanly possible for as cheap as they can so they can pocket more, just so they can start a new house and get more money.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote