REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-30-2014, 09:45 AM   #26
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenDuang View Post
M3 for 65? A loaded one comes close to 95K....

Where are you getting these numbers??

LOL Loaded 57k?

This is my order WITHOUT metallic paint...

Yeah sorry a Base M3 is like 77 or w/e. The E92's were only like 60-65 MSRP, I didn't realize the new model was so expensive. (Inflation's a bitch)

But as for the CLA you only need the first 3 lines and the navigation system which tallies up to 57k.

Its not my fault you paid 7 thousand for CF goodies.

EDIT:
Also Even with all those extra non-sense items your subtotal before fees was only 69K.

SO you only spent 4K more than what this GTI would cost.

Also back to the S4/S5 example The base cars are only around 55-57. So you have 10k ish to play with in equipment before you reach the VW's level.

RE-EDIT: YOU PAID $500 FOR PAINT PROTECTION!? Please tell me you didn't actually fall into that scam...
Advertisement

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread

Last edited by meme405; 04-30-2014 at 10:00 AM.
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-30-2014, 09:46 AM   #27
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
oh fuck that shit who would spend $65k on a Golf?
That's like spending $65k on Civic.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-30-2014, 10:39 AM   #28
I want to be a person and not an icon.

Thanked 5,286 Times in 892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
Yeah sorry a Base M3 is like 77 or w/e. The E92's were only like 60-65 MSRP, I didn't realize the new model was so expensive. (Inflation's a bitch)

But as for the CLA you only need the first 3 lines and the navigation system which tallies up to 57k.

Its not my fault you paid 7 thousand for CF goodies.

EDIT:
Also Even with all those extra non-sense items your subtotal before fees was only 69K.

SO you only spent 4K more than what this GTI would cost.

Also back to the S4/S5 example The base cars are only around 55-57. So you have 10k ish to play with in equipment before you reach the VW's level.

RE-EDIT: YOU PAID $500 FOR PAINT PROTECTION!? Please tell me you didn't actually fall into that scam...

No one said it was anyones fault, I don't need anything nor do I need a CLA45....

It's what I ended up choosing to go with the car, everyone has difference choices to what options should each purchase to accompany the car.

To you those are non-sense but to me they are essential and would save me the headache of going aftermarket with fitment issues and everything else.

The paint protection is auto-added and I have final say at delivery of the vehicle when they do the Freight and PDI.
Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:29 AM   #29
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,251 Posts
Quote:

Not as bad as Audi detail charge. 600$ for them to "detail" your new car, put in mats and wheel locks.

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:49 PM   #30
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenDuang View Post
M3 for 65? A loaded one comes close to 95K....

Where are you getting these numbers??

LOL Loaded 57k?

This is my order WITHOUT metallic paint...

Spoiler!

you paid $84k for a fucking CLA? wow...
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:21 PM   #31
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,149 Times in 7,150 Posts
Can you find him a dealership that doesn't charge for options, tax, or destination charges? That's the way it is unfortunately. There are hidden costs in everything, especially cars.
Posted via RS Mobile
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:38 AM   #32
No Titles Given

Quote:
Originally Posted by multicartual View Post
55k for a GTI...

Apparently 16V Mk2's and original Corrado's weren't exactly cheap back in the day.. Just dreamin but was thinking about the new corvette at that price until the numb-nut salesman told me that its not a good idea to opt out of the chrome rims and swap snow tires in the winter !
synchrocone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:14 AM   #33
No Titles Given

Quote:

I wouldn't exactly say inflation is something you can blame for the price hike. In fact, some European countries right now stating price deflation( eg. Sweden, not sure about Germany.) Regardless, in America its only been around 1% for a while contrary to what a lot of financial advisors tell you.

Paint protection may be a scam but try leasing a Bimmer and knowing your girlfriend could curb-rash the wheels. Not a cheap lease obligation!

Last edited by synchrocone; 05-01-2014 at 02:16 AM. Reason: spelling and nyquill time
Old 05-01-2014, 08:03 AM   #34
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
I don't understand why everyone is thinking this is a bad deal? $55K for an exclusive/rare 400hp awd car? It will definitely holds it value, I think even better than R32s. Sure you could buy other cars for better value, but for VW fans, this will be the holy grail of GTIs. I would rock this as my daily driver for sure! I would much rather buy this for $55k than buy a standard GTI for $30K and sink in $10K for mods.
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-01-2014, 08:30 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3guy View Post
I don't understand why everyone is thinking this is a bad deal? $55K for an exclusive/rare 400hp awd car? It will definitely holds it value, I think even better than R32s. Sure you could buy other cars for better value, but for VW fans, this will be the holy grail of GTIs. I would rock this as my daily driver for sure! I would much rather buy this for $55k than buy a standard GTI for $30K and sink in $10K for mods.
*65K.

Like I said, at 50K this car is a great deal. 55K its just another car in that price range to think about.

at 65K its out of its league.

EDIT: This is all just speculation, until they actually release the price.

If it comes in at 55k, the no worries.

@westopher, everything I talked about was pre-delivery fees and taxes and all that mumbo jumbo. There is no way you will escape that shit.

Atleast not legally...

Old 05-01-2014, 08:42 AM   #36
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3guy View Post
x2

It's not a full run production car. It's a limited edition vehicle with 400hp and AWD; it just happens to have a VW badge and is based on a GTI. There's nothing else in that price range with the same specs. Sure, an STI is cheaper, but it's 100hp less, an M4 starts at $74k, the CLA is $5k cheaper but has 50hp less, etc., etc. Besides, these aren't it's true competitors anyway. This GTI is the definition of a hot hatch and isn't necessarily designed to compete with the aforementioned vehicles.

The only real competitors it has is the A45 AMG (in Europe, at least) which has 40 less hp, though I believe it's priced pretty closely to what the R400 is going to be.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:54 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
It's not a full run production car. It's a limited edition vehicle with 400hp and AWD; it just happens to have a VW badge and is based on a GTI.
Actually this is just a concept car, we have no information on pricing, or production.

They could very well make it a limited edition vehicle, or they could make as many as people buy.

My sentiments above are based on a full run production car, if they are going to limit production to 100 or 1000 units, then they can charge whatever they like and I'm sure the vast GTI following will snap them up.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:12 AM   #38

Quote:

@westopher, everything I talked about was pre-delivery fees and taxes and all that mumbo jumbo. There is no way you will escape that shit.

Atleast not legally...
I know, it was a comment towards Knight. He seems so stunned that someone spent that on a CLA, but like 10k+ of that is taxes. No way around it.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:12 AM   #39
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Actually this is just a concept car, we have no information on pricing, or production.

They could very well make it a limited edition vehicle, or they could make as many as people buy.

My sentiments above are based on a full run production car, if they are going to limit production to 100 or 1000 units, then they can charge whatever they like and I'm sure the vast GTI following will snap them up.
The article I originally linked to used to have an imbedded link that talked about the pricing, which was $55k. Seems that it's now gone, so it was likely just some speculative talk that they didn't want to be associated with anymore. Either way, I think it's a fair assumption that it will likely be around the $50k mark. This is my own speculation here but I don't believe VAG will be making this as a full run production vehicle. I think it's more of a technical exercise that they decided to put for sale. It could simply be a money loser that VW has decided to sell purely to showcase their ability to reliabily drag 400 horses out of a 2L. I've also a feeling we'll be seeing this same engine in one or two Audi's in the near future.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:22 AM   #40
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
^ I think you are right about seeing that motor in a variety of Audi.....my guess would be the S4, maybe S3 and A6/7
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 11:05 AM   #41
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Can you find him a dealership that doesn't charge for options, tax, or destination charges? That's the way it is unfortunately. There are hidden costs in everything, especially cars.
Posted via RS Mobile
oh i'm well aware. i bought my f150 new in 2011. i think i paid around $8k for bs fees and taxes. but in all honesty, $84k for a CLA? i just cant wrap my head around why anyone would even bother paying that much for a "lower end" mercedes. sure its an AMG but like musto said in that video that meme405 posted, it just doesnt seem to fit the bill as an AMG.

i dont know. to me an AMG is supposed to be like this living fire breathing beast with this huge v8... CLA just feels like it should have stayed as an entry level mercedes sans AMG.
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 11:13 AM   #42

Its the same thing with every brand though. X6M? Give me a fucking break. AMG is 3 letters that sell cars, M is one letter that sells cars, etc. Its just that in this thread people tend to pick and choose which cars have tax, destination and option charges and which don't to make something look cheaper/more expensive than another to support their argument. I do however disagree that the cla45 is any less of an AMG car based on the engine thats in it. Its fast and handles well. It doesn't matter if its a 4 banger or an 8 that gets it there. Remember the quintessential AMG car, the 190e EVO was a 4 cylinder. The ultimate M car the e30 m3 was a 4 cylinder. People will pay 84k for a "low end mercedes" because a high end mercedes is 130k+ and they don't want to spend that.
This is fucking bonkers but now I'm going off topic. Whatever, relish in their awesomeness.

Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 05-01-2014, 12:28 PM   #43
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Not sure if the term "Q-cars" exist anymore as most cars reach 40km/hr over the limit with ease nowadays. I really hope they keep this Golf R as tame looking as possible. Some people comment on if my car is fast but I respond, no, it stands for "really slow".

Damn I wish I could of kept my e30 M3 Only if I had the space in this crazy city..
rcoccultwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:37 PM   #44

RS eh. I'm curious what kind of RS we are talking about here.......
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-01-2014, 01:43 PM   #45
No Titles Given

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
We are not going to sit here and compare new cars to used... "Why would I buy a new 128i when I could buy a used Ferrari Testarrosa?"
Funny you bring up the Testarossa as Road and Track? had a segment on it this month. Friggin thing is basically neck to neck to a V6 Mustang but it gets 9mpg! Depressing but drool....
Old 05-01-2014, 03:08 PM   #46
Old School RS

Thanked 3,947 Times in 1,202 Posts
Totally... 9mpg, way less comfortable, and a bajillion dollars to maintain... sweet!!
Old 05-01-2014, 03:35 PM   #47
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,355 Times in 1,044 Posts
Testarossa is an iconic Ferrari, flat 12 cylinder? hell yeah.
Don't diss it

yes, this is a very high-res photo.

boostfever is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-01-2014, 04:34 PM   #48
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight_KB View Post
oh i'm well aware. i bought my f150 new in 2011. i think i paid around $8k for bs fees and taxes. but in all honesty, $84k for a CLA? i just cant wrap my head around why anyone would even bother paying that much for a "lower end" mercedes. sure its an AMG but like musto said in that video that meme405 posted, it just doesnt seem to fit the bill as an AMG.

i dont know. to me an AMG is supposed to be like this living fire breathing beast with this huge v8... CLA just feels like it should have stayed as an entry level mercedes sans AMG.
I have a S550. I bought it CPO slightly used 2 years old. Including taxes I lost 18K a year in depreciation. Options like night vision and panoramic sunroof add nothing to resale. That guy has almost 20K in options ouch. An AMG will depreciate even faster. You can get a 2-year old CLS63 AMG for $82-$88K now. That's almost 50% off from new in 2 years.

Remember that now you have to pay an extra 3% tax on any car over $55k, even used. I think leasing is the only way to go nowadays for German cars.

For the best value Porsche is the winner. I've been looking at a 911 but the 991 Carrera 4S prices depreciate so slow

In the end though, its his money and he can do whatever he wants.
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote