REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-29-2014, 09:59 AM   #1
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Wish your GTI was just a little crazier?

Well your dreams have come true.

TL/DR - 400hp, AWD, manual.

'nuff said.

Quote:
VW premiered the Golf R 400 Concept at the Beijing auto show, and here’s why it’s awesome: Powered by a 2.0-liter, turbocharged EA888 engine tweaked to produce 395 horsepower, it can reach 62 mph in 3.9 seconds and a top speed of 174 mph. Here’s why it’s double awesome: It’s going to be built, the confirmation of which we received directly from VW research and development chief Heinz-Jakob Neusser.

It’s not yet clear if it’s coming to the U.S., but we’d very possibly cut someone to make that happen. We also learned that the engine hasn’t been changed much from the version rated at 290 horsepower in the U.S.-spec Golf R, having only received mild revisions in the interest of withstanding more boost. The basic engine architecture hasn’t been altered. “We haven’t reverted to cast iron and made it into an EA113 again. The EA888 can handle it,” another VW executive told us.

The engine could also migrate to Audi models, with one source telling us that “[VW] wouldn’t take this effort for just one brand.” Does this spell the end of the turbocharged inline-five that we expect to power the next-gen Audi RS3? Not likely. But the R 400 engine no doubt will serve as a kick in the pants to Audi engineers striving to make their EA113-based five-banger even better and more powerful.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/confirm...ing-auto-show/
Advertisement
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-29-2014, 10:03 AM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
whats this thing going to cost? $65,000?

guess im not that far off..

this is a fully optioned out gti
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2014-04-29 at 11.07.54 AM.jpg (61.3 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by Gucci Mane; 04-29-2014 at 10:10 AM.
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-29-2014, 10:08 AM   #3
Old School RS

Thanked 3,930 Times in 1,197 Posts
Probably! A Golf R was ~$40k CDN in 2012 and the new 2015 Golf R will probably be about $44k CDN. I would expect that the new 400hp GTI above to be a $10k premium over that, so around $55k CDN.

In fairness, a TT RS was $67k CDN in 2012 and had 360hp, so if they released that car now, it would probably be over $70k CDN, so a $15k discount for a VW over the Audi makes sense.

Seems like a lot of money for a VW but in fairness, what German AWD car can you buy for $55k with 400hp? The Audi S4 just barely starts at that and that's with no equipment, the GTI will be fully loaded with navi for that price.

Mark
Old 04-29-2014, 10:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
Seems like a lot of money for a VW but in fairness, what German AWD car can you buy for $55k with 400hp? The Audi S4 just barely starts at that and that's with no equipment, the GTI will be fully loaded with navi for that price.

Mark
a new s4 maybe but what about a used one? s5? rs4? i could go on and on...
Old 04-29-2014, 10:22 AM   #5
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Probably! A Golf R was ~$40k CDN in 2012 and the new 2015 Golf R will probably be about $44k CDN. I would expect that the new 400hp GTI above to be a $10k premium over that, so around $55k CDN.

In fairness, a TT RS was $67k CDN in 2012 and had 360hp, so if they released that car now, it would probably be over $70k CDN, so a $15k discount for a VW over the Audi makes sense.

Mark
No you need to look outside the audi family to realize that we are talking M3 money for a VW GTI.

This:

The GTI was originally just a hot hatch, in fact its like the original hot hatch.

44k for a GTI is altogether too much, and because that price is so ridiculous, they have bumped this new model to retarded levels of expensive.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-29-2014, 10:27 AM   #6
Old School RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight_KB View Post
a new s4 maybe but what about a used one? s5? rs4? i could go on and on...
We are not going to sit here and compare new cars to used... "Why would I buy a new 128i when I could buy a used Ferrari Testarrosa?" That doesn't make any sense.

A GTI will become used and the price will go down as well. New cars should be compared to other offerings of new ones to assess value, and used cars should be compared to other used cars.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:30 AM   #7
Old School RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
No you need to look outside the audi family to realize that we are talking M3 money for a VW GTI.
Actually... we are talking less than 400hp RWD V8 BMW money (which will be into the 70s for a similarly equipped one) for a 400hp AWD turbocharged VW.

Quote:
The GTI was originally just a hot hatch, in fact its like the original hot hatch.
Again... the original GTI was a car that didnt have power steering and A/C was an option. This car is a 400hp turbocharged AWD monster. If you think those are the same car because they have the same name, then it's about like saying that an AE86 is the same as a 4dr automatic base model because they are both called Corollas, it doesnt make sense.

Just so everybody is clear, I think this car is freaking expensive and can't afford to buy one, but my point is simply that if you actually look at what you are getting compared to other models, rather than focusing on the fact it is made by VW or is called a GTI, then you would realize the value offering isn't that different from other manufacturers.

Mark
Old 04-29-2014, 10:38 AM   #8

Quote:
We are not going to sit here and compare new cars to used... "Why would I buy a new 128i when I could buy a used Ferrari Testarrosa?" That doesn't make any sense.

A GTI will become used and the price will go down as well. New cars should be compared to other offerings of new ones to assess value, and used cars should be compared to other used cars.
of course it wouldnt make any sense to compare the gti to cars from within the same family that are a year or so older and far more luxurious....
Old 04-29-2014, 10:46 AM   #9
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,782 Times in 977 Posts
Quote:
VW premiered the Golf R 400 Concept at the Beijing auto show, and here’s why it’s awesome: Powered by a 2.0-liter, turbocharged EA888 engine
I see what you did there...
Old 04-29-2014, 10:53 AM   #10
Old School RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight_KB View Post
of course it wouldnt make any sense to compare the gti to cars from within the same family that are a year or so older and far more luxurious....
No, it really doesn't. I gave you an extreme example to show why that doesn't make sense, but to speak directly to your example, let me give you something a bit less ridiculous:

A brand new 128i has always been about the same price as a new 135i. By your logic, they would never sell new 128s since you are implying a new car is a fair comparison to a used one. Yet they sell lots of new 128s, because people perceive the value of a new 128 to be fair compared to paying an extra $6,000 for a new 135.

For me personally, I am like you in that I would probably make a decision to buy a used car as I think it's better value.

However, the simple fact that you and I would prefer to buy used to save some depreciation doesn't mean anything about whether the MSRP of a car is reasonable for what it offers. The only way you can compare the value of a new car is compared to other new cars.

I stand by my assertion that compared to other NEW cars, this new GTI at $65k would be a fair price based on what it brings to the table. I also stand by my statement that I can't afford, and couldn't justify, buying a new one. But that's not because there is another new car I think offers better value for similar money, but instead because I would rather buy used. I don't really know how to explain it to you beyond this, I think the distinction between the two scenarios is extremely clear.

Mark
Old 04-29-2014, 11:36 AM   #11
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,782 Times in 977 Posts
comparing new car prices to used is just stupid because you could make that comparison for every single new car that exists. Except maybe the P1 or 918...
Old 04-29-2014, 12:16 PM   #12
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Amazing how much more HP vw can squeeze out of the 2.0T
BEEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:33 PM   #13
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
55k for a GTI...

multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:19 PM   #14
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,062 Times in 1,249 Posts
^mexican GTI

http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...begins-mexico/

I guess my lemon beetle will have better residual.

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you

Last edited by yray; 04-29-2014 at 04:03 PM.
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:34 PM   #15
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
New vs. Used .
New for new this vehicle stacks up pretty good to other similarly priced vehicles on paper. Although, I like to play the depreciation game so I'll buy a 4 year old one with 80,000kms or less for $35K, give or take.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:31 PM   #16

I'd rather have a base S5 than a glorified GTI.

This post thanked by:
Old 04-29-2014, 02:36 PM   #17
Old School RS

You know an S5 is just a glorified A5 which is just a glorified A4 which is actually just a glorified Passat, right? I love all this hate based purely on the fact that it's VW who are building it.

I guess I'm just a fanboy. :/
Old 04-29-2014, 02:38 PM   #18
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
wouldn't the S5 be significantly heavier?
i think this is more comparable to the new BMW 1M and M2/MB CLA45 AMG/Audi RS3
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:39 PM   #19

Quote:
You know an S5 is just a glorified A5 which is just a glorified A4 which is actually just a glorified Passat, right? I love all this hate based purely on the fact that it's VW who are building it.

I guess I'm just a fanboy. :/
No its not because VW is building it, thats a good thing in my mind.

It stems from the fact that I would rather have more displacement then less.

It stems from the fact that obviously an Audi has way nicer finishes. The ammenities will be more refined, the experience is far more luxurious, etc.

Old 04-29-2014, 02:41 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
wouldn't the S5 be significantly heavier?
i think this is more comparable to the new BMW 1M and M2/MB CLA45 AMG/Audi RS3
Yeah your right, which are all phenomenally cheaper...lol

The CLA45 is probably the most comparable car actually available currently in the NA market.

Simillar 2.0L, AWD, within 50hp. The car comes basically loaded for 57k.

You can spend 65 000 on the 2014 model for that limited run "coupe 1" or w/e that bullshit is.

And you get an AMG MERCEDES.

For 50k fully loaded the VW is decent value for money. 55k its just another car in the segment. Anything above 55k for a top of line model is not worth it.

Last edited by meme405; 04-29-2014 at 02:50 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:41 AM   #21
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

I'll wait till somebody sells it. Buy it used instead. Loving how they're pushing their limits and doing crazy stuff like this so people can enjoy their "dailies" from factory.
jaemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:50 AM   #22
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,062 Times in 1,249 Posts
^wouldn't drive anything from pubelo without warranty

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:25 AM   #23
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,438 Times in 1,436 Posts
lol...

instant 150hp boost

asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:19 AM   #24
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,017 Times in 7,108 Posts
Quote:
You need to show me a NEW m3 for 65k.
Then show me one with near as many options as the golf will come with.
Then show me one with AWD.
Not all people would rather have a stripped out high end model over a loaded lower model. People need to stop comparing apples to oranges. The "but you could get a used RS5 for that price" argument might make sense to us but it doesn't make sense to people that bought new cars. I could buy an e36 m3 and an e30 m3 for the price of a new loaded golf R, but that is what I would do. Not someone looking for a warrantied, never owned, awd, high HP hot hatch. This car is fantastic. I'd gladly pay this if I was in the market for an STi, or the now non-existant evo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by multicartual View Post
55k for a GTI...

Fuck I know! They could have just swapped in a 5.0 and had at least half that power right!?
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-30-2014, 09:29 AM   #25
I want to be a person and not an icon.

Thanked 5,286 Times in 892 Posts
Quote:
Yeah your right, which are all phenomenally cheaper...lol

The CLA45 is probably the most comparable car actually available currently in the NA market.

Simillar 2.0L, AWD, within 50hp. The car comes basically loaded for 57k.

You can spend 65 000 on the 2014 model for that limited run "coupe 1" or w/e that bullshit is.

And you get an AMG MERCEDES.

For 50k fully loaded the VW is decent value for money. 55k its just another car in the segment. Anything above 55k for a top of line model is not worth it.
M3 for 65? A loaded one comes close to 95K....

Where are you getting these numbers??

LOL Loaded 57k?

This is my order WITHOUT metallic paint...

Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: