REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2014, 06:31 PM   #26
I keep RS good
 
Ulic Qel-Droma's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Cosmos
Posts: 28,361
Thanked 5,348 Times in 1,408 Posts
like i don't hate on ppl that don't use facebook.

like i REALLY want to know some answers to the questions i have... so to you non facebook users, please answer these.

1) i understand some of you don't wanna share your info with FB. but what's stopping you from creating another email not associated with you... and creating a fb account using a fake name... and having all your close friends add you just so you can be included in these things? (if you don't wanna be bothered to do that, i am SURE one of your fb friends will GLADLY set it up all for you exactly the way you want).

zero information is being shared by you this way. plenty of people on facebook use fake names or nick names... they have no photos that can identify them etc. why not?

i mean that is a legitimate option... why not?

2) ok this isn't really a question, but for you guys that don't use facebook cuz of privacy issues... you do know that, there are probably pics of you on other ppls albums from group photos and you being in the background of other photos taken by friends or acquaintances. Facebook doesn't need you to have an account to know who you are. Their face detection technology is top notch. You are associated by the people you KNOW on facebook. Facebook already knows about you, the computers on their server have a profile of you, and they've just got no account to match it up with.

People don't understand that they don't have to actually use facebook... as long as their friends and associates use facebook, the fb servers know of a "puzzle piece", that is you, missing from that group... it knows your activities and all that crap cuz it knows what your friends do, and you hang out with your friends.

knowing that you should disconnect with all your friends cuz really... we are facebook. Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

you can view it as scary... that's one perspective... or you can view it as super cool, and that we're fucking smart enough to create something smart enough to do that, AND it helps us connect to each other more... and it isn't even TANGIBLE, like some invisible force we have access to. what the fuck? that's CRAZAY.

FB is already using you whether you like it or not, why the fuck not use them back for what they can offer?
Advertisement
__________________
nipples neways...wat is with those fuck'n asians! i mean you would think they've never seen a dentist in their life. are dentists really that rare over there in ricey ricey and? looks like they're star trek ferrengi rejects! fuck'n have broken glass for teeth! goddaymn! and the smell....did a rat crawl in there and shit itself then marinate in its own shit as it decayed?ewwwwwwwwww! i swear...if one of those ferrengi asian girls gave head...when u pull the dick out it looks like it went thru a meat grinder! prolly shaved off a few slices of meat! *shudder*
Greebo i t-boned some guy and killed their baby, it was funny
silvia i have a couple asian guy friends that do very well with the ladies. but guess what, they go to the gym, they dont have long hair, they dont wear orange pants, and they dont play counterstrike. its not the ethnicity that the girls dont like, its the style and personality.
450HP Supra I am about to use your eye sockets as a shoe rack for my nuts. ...something about chinks, j-bodys, I can't quite remember as I was drunk and looking for a girl to punch in the clit. Think of it as a digital urinal, and you are the mint, except, instead of actually smelling mint, you smell like mothballs, rotten kimchee and virginity. I'm about to start drinking heavily now and you better be gone before I get back or I swear to god I will break the internet over my knee and use the pieces to beat you in the deformed skull with, cock muffler.
Iceman-19 If your gf cooks and cleans, good, tell the guy to take a fucking hike. If she doesnt, fuck, that joker can have her. Lifes too short to cook your own meals and do your own laundry, thats what women are for!
http://ho316.tumblr.com
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:44 PM   #27
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!
 
LightKeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Tree of life
Posts: 173
Thanked 43 Times in 21 Posts
The one who gets it backward is you.
You're speaking as if fb is the only way to connect with people.
It is certainly not.

You say most people use fb. There are 1.2 billion users as of 2014. That's not even half of the people that are online. Plus all of the junk account mentioned in the OP and all the people that are leaving fb.

You are pretty much saying fuck you to the rest of the people who aren't using it.

You're gonna do a lot of shit on fb and you create a little club on there so you'd feel special.

That's exactly what kids do so their parents won't be in on it.

It is no doubt that fb is a tool and there are many other tools that does the same thing.

People are leaving fb for a reason. They don't see the need of it.

It is you that cannot accept that fact.
LightKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-13-2014, 07:01 PM   #28
I signed up to a Zionist website and all the Illuminati gave me was this lousy usertitle
 
CharlesInCharge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,603
Thanked 527 Times in 292 Posts
I still use carrier pigeons... I even have one for pizza deliveries... of course who other then an elite family as ours, the Rothschild, to have such a setup.


FaceBook...
The Innovation of Loneliness?
__________________
*My post highlights* *CIC confronts propaganda prodigies*
In reply to members 4444 & StylinRed on 911
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70427...ml#post8658229
jasonturbo & westopher in the election thread
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8668948
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8667115
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:15 PM   #29
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS
 
underscore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kel-pwn-a
Posts: 11,969
Thanked 4,958 Times in 2,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightKeeper View Post
Again. What you're saying is everyone should use fb just so they can be invited to these events. You're not adding anything constructive here.
People don't want to create fb just to cater to those special and cool kids who like to use it.
You just have to accept the fact that not everyone uses FB.

To be honest, I wouldn't invite through fb if it's such an important event.
Say if I was getting married. I would personally call people that I want to attend my wedding.
I would even send snail mail with my wedding invite. It's more sincere this way.

If all they have is Coke (which is not the case here, there are many other choices), I would rather drink free water.
I am adding something constructive, you're just missing it completely. You're also backwards, for anyone who does use it along with the majority of their social circle then they don't want to have to make exceptions just to cater to the special snowflakes who refuse to use it. I know not everyone uses it, but the large number of people who do tend to use only it for things like basic events.

And of course most people aren't going to use Facebook for wedding invites, but you might use it to ask people for their addresses. Who actually has an up to date list of their friends mailing addresses and home phone numbers anymore?

But you sound too butthurt or hipster (or just dumb as a fucking post) about Facebook to realize that people aren't going to go out of their way to contact someone outside of their main social media hub (whatever site that may be) unless you're quite close.
__________________
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S // 1991 Toyota Celica GTFour RC FOR SALE // 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:03 PM   #30
Hypa owned my ass at least once
 
Noir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Japan
Posts: 6,747
Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightKeeper View Post
The one who gets it backward is you.
You're speaking as if fb is the only way to connect with people.
It is certainly not.

You say most people use fb. There are 1.2 billion users as of 2014. That's not even half of the people that are online. Plus all of the junk account mentioned in the OP and all the people that are leaving fb.

You are pretty much saying fuck you to the rest of the people who aren't using it.

You're gonna do a lot of shit on fb and you create a little club on there so you'd feel special.

That's exactly what kids do so their parents won't be in on it.

It is no doubt that fb is a tool and there are many other tools that does the same thing.

People are leaving fb for a reason. They don't see the need of it.

It is you that cannot accept that fact.


I don't know how many times it needs to be repeated to you.

Nobody is denying that FB is the only platform of social media/communication. What he is saying that since it's currently the most dominant one, is why it's currently the most accepted and practiced form of communicating.

This anti-FB sentiment you have primarily because you're against the brand is giving me the impression that you're against it primarily because it's just too "main-stream" for your liking.



Honestly, I can see why some people delete their account, and it's not because FB is inadequate in any way. I find that it's moreso sometimes, people want to disconnect and I get that. Some people find peace in solace, some people need the peace and quiet (even electronically); and I can totally respect that. But for the rest, refusing to acknowledge Facebook as one of the leading forms of personal or mass communication, well that's just silly. You just want to be special and feel people chasing after you, or go about it the harder way just for 2 minutes (or so) of your time.

Last edited by Noir; 05-13-2014 at 11:09 PM.
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-13-2014, 11:12 PM   #31
Banned (ABWS)?
 
AzNightmare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 16,913
Thanked 2,131 Times in 1,026 Posts
I don't know about you. But practically every one I know use Facebook or at least have an account that can be used to reach them (cause it's sync-ed with their phone).

And this was like 4 years ago... Not like any of them just decided to make a new account today, because they suddenly realized that everyone else was using Facebook.

I even know parents (in their 60s) that are using it...


Here's an off-topic True Story:

I have buddy back from highschool (whom I'm not all that close with any more) who still refuses to spend $30~/month for a basic cellphone just because he sees no need for it.
As he says contacting via email or calling his home to arrange plans is sufficient.
And this guy is making like $80k a year, so money is not an issue at all...

To top it off, he still can't drive, has no intention to, because he claims the bus is efficient enough in Vancouver, and obviously doesn't use Facebook either.

Got tiring to hang out with the guy, cause it was just way too difficult to contact him. Also pretty annoying when you're expecting to meet up with him, but he's running behind, and you have no way to contact him.

All this read just reminded me of this guy.
I don't know if he feels like he's special or something by avoiding all this.

__________________
__________________________________________________
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-14-2014, 01:46 AM   #32
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!
 
LightKeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Tree of life
Posts: 173
Thanked 43 Times in 21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
like i don't hate on ppl that don't use facebook.

like i REALLY want to know some answers to the questions i have... so to you non facebook users, please answer these.

1) i understand some of you don't wanna share your info with FB. but what's stopping you from creating another email not associated with you... and creating a fb account using a fake name... and having all your close friends add you just so you can be included in these things? (if you don't wanna be bothered to do that, i am SURE one of your fb friends will GLADLY set it up all for you exactly the way you want).

zero information is being shared by you this way. plenty of people on facebook use fake names or nick names... they have no photos that can identify them etc. why not?

i mean that is a legitimate option... why not?

2) ok this isn't really a question, but for you guys that don't use facebook cuz of privacy issues... you do know that, there are probably pics of you on other ppls albums from group photos and you being in the background of other photos taken by friends or acquaintances. Facebook doesn't need you to have an account to know who you are. Their face detection technology is top notch. You are associated by the people you KNOW on facebook. Facebook already knows about you, the computers on their server have a profile of you, and they've just got no account to match it up with.

People don't understand that they don't have to actually use facebook... as long as their friends and associates use facebook, the fb servers know of a "puzzle piece", that is you, missing from that group... it knows your activities and all that crap cuz it knows what your friends do, and you hang out with your friends.

knowing that you should disconnect with all your friends cuz really... we are facebook. Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

you can view it as scary... that's one perspective... or you can view it as super cool, and that we're fucking smart enough to create something smart enough to do that, AND it helps us connect to each other more... and it isn't even TANGIBLE, like some invisible force we have access to. what the fuck? that's CRAZAY.

FB is already using you whether you like it or not, why the fuck not use them back for what they can offer?
1) It's not about privacy issue for me. Sure, they do have issues with that but I'm not a big time celebrity to have a problem with that. Honestly, I deleted my account just because I don't see the need of it.

You say you make these events for basic weekly gatherings. It's as simple as making a phone call or whatsapp to someone to set these things up. When that gathering happened, you can just mention "Oh let's do this again next week" That's all.

"People set it up so they don't actually have to use it." Then what is the point of having it?

2) It's not a privacy issue so I'm not going to answer this question. Like I said, the service facebook provides I can get it elsewhere. It's simple as that.

About facebook syncing with the phone. What's the point of having another app installed to waste the phone's RAM when I can use whatsapp to contact my friends the same way.

Of course, people will continue to use fb, but I don't see how it is the dominant platform in communication. I believe even skype can overtake that by a long shot.

Unless people who use facebook wants to meet new people or communicate with people they spoke to once or twice in their life, then I can see why people would want to use it.

I stand my ground about this topic, but it sounded you are the one that is butthurt in your rant just because not everyone uses facebook. I am just telling you that.
LightKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-14-2014, 02:20 AM   #33
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!
 
LightKeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Tree of life
Posts: 173
Thanked 43 Times in 21 Posts
Look, I'm not against people who uses facebook.

It was cool for a while but there are just better options out there in this current time.
I chose not to use it because of just that.

People are free to choose which service provider they want.

I think the whole facebook thing got really old.
It's kind of like someone who still uses BBM just because it was BBM.
LightKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 05:13 AM   #34
rsx
Los Bastardo owned my ass at least once
 
rsx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 6,223
Thanked 3,381 Times in 805 Posts
instagram is better. i'm there to creep that's it. you want to invite me to something, email or text me.

At least you can avoid these type of posts from fb:

1. The overly specific but general lamentation about the gf/bf: "i don't know what to do anymore..."
2. The religious dumbass: "Praise the lord for allowing me to have such a wonderful day"
3. The baby picture spam
4. The people who carry on a chat on a wall instead of pm'ing or texting each other
5. The inspirational post: "Shoot for the moon, if you miss you'll land among the stars."
6. The wannabe comedian: "...wait....what, smh, etc."
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:34 AM   #35
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS
 
underscore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kel-pwn-a
Posts: 11,969
Thanked 4,958 Times in 2,167 Posts
^ block them from your feed, problem solved.
__________________
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S // 1991 Toyota Celica GTFour RC FOR SALE // 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 11:12 AM   #36
Banned (ABWS)?
 
AzNightmare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 16,913
Thanked 2,131 Times in 1,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightKeeper View Post
About facebook syncing with the phone. What's the point of having another app installed to waste the phone's RAM when I can use whatsapp to contact my friends the same way.

Of course, people will continue to use fb, but I don't see how it is the dominant platform in communication. I believe even skype can overtake that by a long shot.

Unless people who use facebook wants to meet new people or communicate with people they spoke to once or twice in their life, then I can see why people would want to use it.

I stand my ground about this topic, but it sounded you are the one that is butthurt in your rant just because not everyone uses facebook. I am just telling you that.
You're way too stuck up in being anti-Facebook just for the sake of hating the brand. I'm surprised you still use Whatsapp since FB owns them now.

Let me ask you this, why do you use Whatsapp when you can just communicate the same way via text. Or any of the other alternatives to Whatsapp?? Or why use any of these messaging apps at all when it's taking up extra RAM in your phone.

Sure, there are alternatives to Facebook, but about 5-6 years ago, Facebook became dominant, and everyone jumped aboard. It crushed MySpace, Xanga, etc, and whatever else was around at the time.

Few years ago, Google+ comes in, but it's too late because everyone's already using Facebook. I'm sure there's pros and cons with Google+, but unless there's something groundbreaking enough to sway the mass majority toward Google+, most people are still going to be on FB, meaning FB stays the dominant way to remain connected.

Facebook is not the dominant platform in communication. It's the dominant platform in social networking. You're obviously using FB wrong if you're trying to compare Skype vs Facebook, and thinking Skype can overtake by a longshot. Your comparison doesn't even make sense.

OK, I get it... You don't like Facebook, and you rather be on the outside cause you don't want to conform to what majority of people are using. So you go and use some alternative social networking site/app that no one else has an account on. Just don't hate when you get left out, cause all the news about your friends are being posted on FB, and not on your alternative.

-------


Quote:
Originally Posted by rsx View Post
instagram is better. i'm there to creep that's it. you want to invite me to something, email or text me.

At least you can avoid these type of posts from fb:

1. The overly specific but general lamentation about the gf/bf: "i don't know what to do anymore..."
2. The religious dumbass: "Praise the lord for allowing me to have such a wonderful day"
3. The baby picture spam
4. The people who carry on a chat on a wall instead of pm'ing or texting each other
5. The inspirational post: "Shoot for the moon, if you miss you'll land among the stars."
6. The wannabe comedian: "...wait....what, smh, etc."

I can see this list being annoying when they are from acquaintances or random "friends" you're not close with.
You should have deleted them or just remove them from your newsfeed.

1. It is annoying whether it's a close friend or a random. These people need to grow up.
2. If you were religious, and you had friends from church making posts like these, you would want them to share good news.
3. Can be annoying, although a few of my cousins just had their first child within a year ago, and instead of me calling each of them every month to ask about their kid, I can instead, conveniently look at their baby pics.
4. Never really experienced this myself, although if I did see it going that direction, I would just initiate it first, and PM them.
5. These people are annoying too. They should just post/share their accomplishments instead, rather than just talk about what they dream of accomplishing.
6. I don't know any comedians on FB.


Anyway, I'm sure instagram is good too, but I personally never used it, because most people I know in my circle of friends don't use it at all.
__________________
__________________________________________________
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-14-2014, 12:18 PM   #37
I keep RS good
 
Ulic Qel-Droma's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Cosmos
Posts: 28,361
Thanked 5,348 Times in 1,408 Posts
FYI guys facebook accounts for 25% of all north american cyber traffic.

25%...

and lol, i think me and underscore are on the same side for once.



lightkeeper it just sounds like you value your CHOICE over what is actually practical.
i understand where you're coming from... choice is always good... but when it comes down to practicality of pragmatic USE.... the choice doesn't matter, cuz you're always gonna use FB or whichever app MOST people use.

sure i have a choice... G+, etc... but... is excersizing my "freedom of choice" MORE important than how useful the app is?

You may feel that excersizing your will to choose another app makes you feel good, because you can choose something less "mainstream" (you come off that way), or just simply cuz you like how another platform looks, or whatever reason. but it STILL BOILS DOWN TO... no one is on that app... no one is gonna contact you on that app... it's useless.

I think G+ would be awesome, but really, no one uses it. I use it for googlehangouts with one particular group of people that's it...

remember, you're talking to a guy that uses everything. I have every app. every IM chat. imessage, whatsapp, hangouts, wechat, FB messenger, LINE, BBM, skype, kakaotalk, QQ, G+, facebook.
ok it's not ALL of them, but it's enough to cover 99% of all user base.
and you know what? using facebook alone reaches out to 98% of everyone.
i only use the other apps.. ALL those other apps other than facebook, to keep in contact with that 1% that refuse to use FB. that 1% is spread out through ALL those other apps... and most of them are not north american. my japanese and taiwanese friends use LINE, my mainlander friends use wechat (funny actually my anti FB privacy rights people use wechat too cuz they'd rather have their info on chinese servers than american servers LOL what backwards thinking).

I guess they live in north america, theyre afraid of NSA more than the CPC... but yeah.


like examples above of buddy refusing to get a cellphone, or wanting to do things rigidly, a certain way... just cuz of some STUBBORN value... you push everyone else away from you. that is a problem in social cohesion. why you gotta be a statistical out layer man?! make it hard for everyone else... just go with the flow... you got millions and millions of people backing you up on one side, and you're fighting all those people alone on the other side... what... benefit can that cause? If i wrote down all the pros and cons, the pros far outweighs any cons...

there's no objective reason to not use it. unless you're some highly sought out criminal hiding from society...
__________________
nipples neways...wat is with those fuck'n asians! i mean you would think they've never seen a dentist in their life. are dentists really that rare over there in ricey ricey and? looks like they're star trek ferrengi rejects! fuck'n have broken glass for teeth! goddaymn! and the smell....did a rat crawl in there and shit itself then marinate in its own shit as it decayed?ewwwwwwwwww! i swear...if one of those ferrengi asian girls gave head...when u pull the dick out it looks like it went thru a meat grinder! prolly shaved off a few slices of meat! *shudder*
Greebo i t-boned some guy and killed their baby, it was funny
silvia i have a couple asian guy friends that do very well with the ladies. but guess what, they go to the gym, they dont have long hair, they dont wear orange pants, and they dont play counterstrike. its not the ethnicity that the girls dont like, its the style and personality.
450HP Supra I am about to use your eye sockets as a shoe rack for my nuts. ...something about chinks, j-bodys, I can't quite remember as I was drunk and looking for a girl to punch in the clit. Think of it as a digital urinal, and you are the mint, except, instead of actually smelling mint, you smell like mothballs, rotten kimchee and virginity. I'm about to start drinking heavily now and you better be gone before I get back or I swear to god I will break the internet over my knee and use the pieces to beat you in the deformed skull with, cock muffler.
Iceman-19 If your gf cooks and cleans, good, tell the guy to take a fucking hike. If she doesnt, fuck, that joker can have her. Lifes too short to cook your own meals and do your own laundry, thats what women are for!
http://ho316.tumblr.com
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 12:44 PM   #38
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS
 
underscore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kel-pwn-a
Posts: 11,969
Thanked 4,958 Times in 2,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
and lol, i think me and underscore are on the same side for once.
I was about to say something similar
__________________
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S // 1991 Toyota Celica GTFour RC FOR SALE // 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 04:59 PM   #39
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!
 
LightKeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Tree of life
Posts: 173
Thanked 43 Times in 21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
You're way too stuck up in being anti-Facebook just for the sake of hating the brand. I'm surprised you still use Whatsapp since FB owns them now.

Let me ask you this, why do you use Whatsapp when you can just communicate the same way via text. Or any of the other alternatives to Whatsapp?? Or why use any of these messaging apps at all when it's taking up extra RAM in your phone.
I don't find FB to be practical at all nowadays to connect with the people I already know. I used it mainly for FB chat back then. I totally think they messed up FB beginning from when they try to add in the stupid timeline.

I use Whatsapp now mainly because it is much more practical than FB.
Sure FB owns it now, but if they mess it up, I will definitely move away from Whatsapp also. Like if they add at least one ad on Whatsapp. I will disconnect from it.

Whatsapp is better than texting because I know if they read my message or not.

I've moved on from FB and I don't see the need for me to go back.
You see, people use FB to find new friends. Once they add someone on FB, they will naturally use another platform to communicate with each other.
I'm not looking for new friends so I do not have any purpose with it.
I also realize less and less people log on to FB. It also adds to the factor why I chose to leave it behind.
Really, FB was nothing special. It was just a popularized form of friendster. It's not anything ground breaking.


I seriously can't believe you people love FB this much and you need everyone else to put on your FB sunglasses to look into that "window".

It makes you guys sound like shills for FB.


Last edited by LightKeeper; 05-14-2014 at 05:43 PM.
LightKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 05:01 PM   #40
Hypa owned my ass at least once
 
Noir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Japan
Posts: 6,747
Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsx View Post
instagram is better. i'm there to creep that's it. you want to invite me to something, email or text me.

At least you can avoid these type of posts from fb:

1. The overly specific but general lamentation about the gf/bf: "i don't know what to do anymore..."
2. The religious dumbass: "Praise the lord for allowing me to have such a wonderful day"
3. The baby picture spam
4. The people who carry on a chat on a wall instead of pm'ing or texting each other
5. The inspirational post: "Shoot for the moon, if you miss you'll land among the stars."
6. The wannabe comedian: "...wait....what, smh, etc."
Correct on all accounts. I hate all the above as well. But...

1) I've mastered the art of skimming; actually this is not too hard to do, and IMO more convenient than complaining.

2) (It's personal choice and this approach isn't just limited to Facebook) but I'd rather have too much info and leave it upon myself which to skim, overlook, ignore vs which I do pay attention to rather than not have any info, or sparse info at my disposal.
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 02:56 AM   #41
Banned (ABWS)?
 
AzNightmare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 16,913
Thanked 2,131 Times in 1,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightKeeper View Post
I don't find FB to be practical at all nowadays to connect with the people I already know. I used it mainly for FB chat back then. I totally think they messed up FB beginning from when they try to add in the stupid timeline.

I use Whatsapp now mainly because it is much more practical than FB.
Sure FB owns it now, but if they mess it up, I will definitely move away from Whatsapp also. Like if they add at least one ad on Whatsapp. I will disconnect from it.

Whatsapp is better than texting because I know if they read my message or not.

I've moved on from FB and I don't see the need for me to go back.
You see, people use FB to find new friends. Once they add someone on FB, they will naturally use another platform to communicate with each other.
I'm not looking for new friends so I do not have any purpose with it.
I also realize less and less people log on to FB. It also adds to the factor why I chose to leave it behind.
Really, FB was nothing special. It was just a popularized form of friendster. It's not anything ground breaking.


I seriously can't believe you people love FB this much and you need everyone else to put on your FB sunglasses to look into that "window".

It makes you guys sound like shills for FB.

Put on the glasses... - YouTube
Like I said, you used FB primarily as a source for chatting. Yes, it can do that, but that's not what's it known for. The fact you only got that out of all the features of FB, it's no doubt you feel there's no need for it.

Not everyone uses FB to find new friends. In fact, I don't think people even do that at all. Unless you're one of those creepers who "poke" random strangers hoping to become BFF or something. People usually meet somewhere, and then exchange FB's in order to keep in touch. I probably haven't added any new people in over 3 years.

FB can keep you updated with acquaintance, or friends that you don't get a chance to talk to on a daily basis, by quickly skimming through the news feed. But hey, maybe you only know like 10 really close people who you really care about, and rather shut out anyone outside of that. Then ok, I understand why you find news on acquaintances or (not super close) friends not important. Although most people don't think like this.

No, it wasn't just a more popularized Friendster (or MySpace). FB was special, because of it's one innovation: News Feed.
In Friendster, in order to get updates on any one, you would manually have to go to each person's profile page. It would be tedious "work".

Imagine reading a newspaper, but the entire paper would just be like a front page of a search engine, where you would have to manually type in what kind of current events you want to look up, instead of just having all the articles of current events laid out for you.

Your logic is hypocritical... If I were to flip this around, it would be like how you want everyone to put on your Whatsapp glasses, just so you don't have to text, because it's too inconvenient for you if you can't see whether your msgs were being read and ignored, or if your friend's are just slow at checking their phones for msgs.

Facebook is just as relevant, practical, and common as Whatsapp. So if you don't have a problem with Whatsapp, I don't know why you have such a big problem with Facebook, as the principle behind this is exactly the same thing.

Most people use Whatsapp for instant messaging, which is why most people have Whatsapp in their phones.

Most people use Facebook for social networking, which is why most people have a Facebook account.

Say you made a group chat in Whatsapp to plan something, and 9/10 friends are in the conversation, but there's this ONE FRIEND who refuses to use Whatsapp. So now you have to switch to your text msg app, or call him up, just to relay the same info that everyone else knows about. That's annoying.


I'm explaining this so you understand, this isn't some Facebook movement that just suddenly started, where everyone's telling other people to get Facebook.
If you don't already have an account by now, you're already like 4 years behind. At this day an age, people are exchanging Facebook to connect, not telling people to make an account so they can connect.

But if you really don't have a circle of friends who are all on Facebook, then whatever, it's fine. Maybe you really don't have any reason to go on Facebook then. But there's still no reason to be anti-Facebook just because it's a useful "tool" you and all your friend's decided not to use.
__________________
__________________________________________________
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM

Last edited by AzNightmare; 05-15-2014 at 03:12 AM.
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 04:06 AM   #42
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!
 
LightKeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Tree of life
Posts: 173
Thanked 43 Times in 21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
But if you really don't have a circle of friends who are all on Facebook, then whatever, it's fine. Maybe you really don't have any reason to go on Facebook then. But there's still no reason to be anti-Facebook just because it's a useful "tool" you and all your friend's decided not to use.

Like I said before, I have no prejudice against people who still uses facebook. You like to use it, it's fine. But don't be an ass about people not using it. It just seemed that way in the rant Droma wrote.

Personally, I wouldn't mind to go out of my way to contact someone. Facebook or not. If I want to find someone, I will do it. I don't need people to join facebook for my own convenience so I can find them on there. This is my point.

Also, facebook didn't come out 4 years ago. It came out almost 10 years now so I'm not late on anything. If anything that train has passed.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.
It would go on forever if we need to discuss this.

Last edited by LightKeeper; 05-15-2014 at 04:16 AM.
LightKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 01:38 PM   #43
Hypa owned my ass at least once
 
Noir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Japan
Posts: 6,747
Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightKeeper View Post
Like I said before, I have no prejudice against people who still uses facebook. You like to use it, it's fine. But don't be an ass about people not using it. It just seemed that way in the rant Droma wrote.

Personally, I wouldn't mind to go out of my way to contact someone. Facebook or not. If I want to find someone, I will do it. I don't need people to join facebook for my own convenience so I can find them on there. This is my point.

Also, facebook didn't come out 4 years ago. It came out almost 10 years now so I'm not late on anything. If anything that train has passed.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.
It would go on forever if we need to discuss this.
And how has this train passed?

Maybe you just feel that way because it passed you. AznNightmare is right. I do notice people nowadays upon meeting exchange Facebook accounts instead of phone numbers, why? Because you get so much more with a Facebook connection than you do just by trading phone numbers
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 03:00 PM   #44
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!
 
LightKeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Tree of life
Posts: 173
Thanked 43 Times in 21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
And how has this train passed?

Maybe you just feel that way because it passed you. AznNightmare is right. I do notice people nowadays upon meeting exchange Facebook accounts instead of phone numbers, why? Because you get so much more with a Facebook connection than you do just by trading phone numbers
With the rapid changes in technology and the cyber world, I really don't see facebook will be in much use 10 years from now. Google will still thrive because of its search engine capability, but Facebook will struggle because social networking is subjective to everyone. People can live without facebook just fine, but the use of search engine is concrete to everyone. Facebook can just easily be replaced. Facebook tried many attempts to stay relevant, they even tried to make their own smartphone which turned out to be a disaster. The company is hanging on because of its subsidiaries at the moment. Unless facebook has an other innovative makeover, I really don't see how facebook.com can make it for the next 10 years. Same goes for twitter too, but twitter is different because people can follow celebrities/niche topics.

I do feel that it has passed me by. People will get bored of it eventually. It's just my opinion though. I know some people still like to use it.

It's the other way around for me. People usually ask for my number first and when I ask about fb, the usual reply for me is "yeah okay, but I dont log in that much anymore" or I dont have it. I'm guessing its the different people we meet.
LightKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 03:35 PM   #45
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!
 
LightKeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Tree of life
Posts: 173
Thanked 43 Times in 21 Posts
This is interesting in a business point of view.
How can they stay relevant in the future?

Here's an interesting article from Forbes.
Will Facebook Marketing Be Relevant In 2015? - Forbes

The article shows two sides of the opinion, but the ultimate question is how will they stay relevant?

Last edited by LightKeeper; 05-15-2014 at 03:43 PM.
LightKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net