REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-15-2014, 08:21 AM   #51
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
buy this (but stay the hell away from me at traffic lights ):

Built LS1 FD rx7 FS: Seattle, Wa (400whp + additional 100nx wet shot)
http://www.norotors.com/index.php?PH...&topic=19505.0

FS: My 93 fd rx7 with a built ls1

$25k obo

Clean Title

Purchased already built from RODS cars who specialize in lsx cars/parts, previous owner loved the car but had to pay off a lot of debt so regrettingly sold it to me. I've enjoyed driving the car, breaking necks, and obliterating muscle car owners prides but some other things have come up in my life I think I need to focus on. If it doesn't sell I will continue to drive it and enjoy until that time comes.

Mods:

LS1 from a '02 camaro ss
LS6 intake Manifold
5.7 Liters Bore & Stroke (in): 3.90/3.62
Diamond Pistons 11:1 compression
Eagle Rods
Comp Cam: Intake .643 Exhaust .598
Comp Springs & Retainers
85mm BBK TB
60lb Injectors
255lph Walbro
Engine Management: HP Tuners
Spark Plugs: NGK tr6 v-power
Hinson Long Tubes Custom Rods Cars 3" Mandrel exhaust with 18" magnaflow muffler
Hinson Radiator with custom shroud
SLP High Flow Oil Pump
Chris Headstuds
NX Wet Kit 100shot
B&M Shifter Rear End: 3.93 Stock LSD Axles / Driveshaft: Hinson Drive Shaft
T56 6 speed with custom transmission plate cover

Re-wired and relocated battery to trunk with it's own cut-off switch on the rear bumper
Fuel pressure and A/F gauges
DVD player in dash
comes with bose system (sitting in my garage)
Has power steering but no A/C, I have 95% of the components for the A/C in my garage but never thought it necessary to install
B/C Coilovers fully height and dampening adjustable
Boss 338 style wheels 18x8, 18x10(gloss centers, matte black lip) with brand new tires
Front lip in FRP
Shine Side diffusers, rear diffuser, and rear lip spoiler all in Carbon Fiber (lip spoiler not installed in pictures but on car)
Custom tinted tail lights (were fading to grey so darkened them up)
Two toggle switches in the center consol, one for the line-lock (epic burnouts), one for nitrous.

Took the car to wong's tuning who specializes in lsx cars to have looked over and tuned, he did an extremely conservative tune since I wanted the car to be 100% reliable day in and day out. De-tuned also to run nitrous so when you hit the switch it will compensate for the spray. Also took it to CNC to get the intake raised so it won't ever suck up water and to run some heavier gauge wiring. You could daily this car rain or shine, although personally i hate driving with a heavy clutch in traffic so wouldn't recommend stop and go in seattle. Best to be driven on open roads, back country, or show up to car shows and make everyone question why they don't have one.

Best time in this car on the 1/4 mile was a 10.9 then got kicked out since there's no roll cage. Could do better with some practice runs.

The car isn't flawless, but it's an absolute blast to drive and turns heads like nothing i've ever driven before! On the conservative tune it makes 394whp and 376wtq, plus with the nitrous another roughly 100hp on top of that. That along with the 30ish mpg on the freeway makes for a pretty sweet car.

*only things I'd do is clean up the interior a little (in the process of doing that), gas flap wont close all the way ($40 fix i will get to soon), one or two rock chips but the body is really straight (no dents or anything besides one dent on the underside of the car you can't see when it's on the ground, add in converter for speedo only $60 but I use a phone app as my speedo so not concerned.

First start up after sitting for about a week and a half.... stupid rain go away!

it even has your wheels on it... it's a sign
Advertisement
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2014, 08:33 AM   #52
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Holy shit that thing would be insanely awesome... As a weekend car!

Remember, gotta daily drive for a bajillion km.

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:34 AM   #53
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
The manual requirement would really limit your potential car.

Modern auto (AMGs) or sequential boxes (any DCT variance) are very close or even better than what a normal human can do in stick (assuming you are not some pro F1 driver). Fun-wise... maybe it's not as inspiring on the track, but as a DD that goes from red to red, you'd appreciate the convenience of it.

I'd look into AMGs if you want the V8. If manual is absolute must, CTS-V gets my vote too.
Honestly, having spent years of seat time with both manuals and autos. IMO a manual transmission is in no way less convenient than a auto in day to day traffic, and I cannot wrap my head around how anyone could think it was. Unless you don't actually know how to drive stick properly ofc. Automatics are frustrating as fuck, and if anything, they make my life less convenient. You shouldn't need your car to tell you what gear you should be in.
wstce92 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2014, 08:37 AM   #54
Witness protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by dared3vil0 View Post
Holy shit that thing would be insanely awesome... As a weekend car!

Remember, gotta daily drive for a bajillion km.
just change out the monster clutch and you should be good

LS motors for an unstressed daily commute should last forever!

buy
buy
buy
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2014, 08:57 AM   #55
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
Quote:
Lol because buying a pickup truck and never using it as a truck is just stupid, and if i was going to buy an FJ i'd just get a Jeep.
I completely disagree but fair enough. Just figured I'd throw those choices into the mix as you wanted brand new. Some mentioned the CTS-V; that could be a decent option that ticks most(if not all) of your "want" boxes. The pre-owned GT500 option is also kinda cool but might not work for you due to lack of warranty.

At this point, I'll say that the BRZ/FRS option would be the best all around bet.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2014, 09:14 AM   #56
Witness protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by white rocket View Post
I completely disagree but fair enough. Just figured I'd throw those choices into the mix as you wanted brand new. Some mentioned the CTS-V; that could be a decent option that ticks most(if not all) of your "want" boxes. The pre-owned GT500 option is also kinda cool but might not work for you due to lack of warranty.

At this point, I'll say that the BRZ/FRS option would be the best all around bet.
i dunno... when i test drove a brz and all i could think was "it's so slow "
Old 05-15-2014, 09:16 AM   #57

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Just get a Stang GT, you know you want to.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:31 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
i dunno... when i test drove a brz and all i could think was "it's so slow "
That is it's only strike based on OP's requirements. A Vortech kit would help that along though
Old 05-15-2014, 09:31 AM   #59
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
Quote:
Lol because buying a pickup truck and never using it as a truck is just stupid, and if i was going to buy an FJ i'd just get a Jeep.

ANYWAYS, thanks for all the suggestions... But the people saying not to buy something with LSD's, tons of power etc, seriously? Why don't we all buy base Corolla's and Priuses (Prii?) by that logic...?
i agree with you on the truck thing.. its a useless vehicle UNLESS you are going to use it

but i dont think you get what i mean still about the hp and lsd

why not just get something cheaper that you can make fast and handle well and be unique rather than an out of the box stock car that has some power and lsd.. if you are really looking for that exciting drive you will lose it fast in a stock car. i have more fun in my civic than i could ever have in a stock srt8 challenger..

its not about convincing you, at this point its about opening up your options a little. if i had 40g to play with i would grab something for 20g, slap a turbo or supercharger on it, coils and some good rubber.. have something that stands out, performs well. and spend the cash to do it right so reliability isnt an issue.

then if you ever wanted to sell it you can un mod the things people dont wants and get a majority of your cash back

i am bias cuz there is not a stock car that can do it for me.. im someone that finds reasons to take things apart to make them better so i would quickly ruin a new vehicle
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2014, 09:39 AM   #60
Witness protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by white rocket View Post
That is it's only strike based on OP's requirements. A Vortech kit would help that along though
but then reliablity and warranty gets the kiss goodbye
Old 05-15-2014, 09:47 AM   #61

So a pre-owned GT500 it is then
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2014, 10:14 AM   #62
GS8

Thanked 7,278 Times in 1,968 Posts
I'm just going to post a wild idea because I cannabis.

1.) Trade Mustang in for Chevy Volt (due to driving so much)

2.) All that fuel savings can be stashed aside to buy fun weekend car

3.) http://www.revscene.net/forums/69470...good-buys.html

4.)
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2014, 10:47 AM   #63
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,815 Times in 3,329 Posts
hm.

I think I need to start a thread like this as well.

13' Nissan DBA-R35 GT-R Black Ed - Black met. - "Sophia"

00' Acura 1.6EL - // Power of dreams Project - "Unity"

02' Nissan M35 Stagea - "Wynn"

91' Honda EF Civic CX - "Xander"

- The Drinker of Many Many Coffees @ McLaren Vancouver
tofu1413 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2014, 10:55 AM   #64
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Maybe an S2000? I loved that car... got me laid like crazy!!!
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:17 AM   #65

Does anyone know why i can't multi quote? I'd love to individually respond but in one post...

ANYWAYS, this is exactly what i was hoping to happen! Some fantastic suggestions!

Older car with motor swap/older high performance car; Not interested in dealing with the maintenance.

Mustang GT weighs 3600lbs, and makes 426bhp
3600/426
= 8.45lbs/hp, with light mods they make roughly 410 at the wheels, which is ~470bhp (Boss intake manifold, long tubes, off road x and a tune)
3600/470
=7.65lbs/hp

On top of those i'd do lowering springs, and Koni shocks/struts.
The mods would cost about $3k, so i'd be looking at;

$40,655 for the car
$ 3,000 for the mods =
$43,655 for car with ~470hp and damn good handling (handling is totally outclassed by BRZ though, will get to that)

BRZ/FRS with a blower is definitely an intriguing option. My only issue is even with a twin screw stage 2 innovate kit they make roughly 260bhp, while weighing about 2800lbs.

2800/260
= 10.8lbs/hp

$35,268 for the car
$ 5,000 for the innovate kit
$ 1,500 for installation and dyno tune
$ 1,500 for full exhaust including headers etc etc =
$43,268 for a car with only 260bhp but handles like nothing else out there.

For essentially the same money, the BRZ just doesn't make sense to me. I can get something with so much more horsepower that will be infinitely more reliable than a supercharged BRZ, that doesn't handle nearly as well, but still handles good enough. I think the BRZ is off the table.

The STI on the other hand, is roughly the same price, and while you "only" get 300bhp, the DCCD with TWO LSD's and an incredible AWD system is seriously tempting. I will have to do my research on them and report back! The STI is also so much more useful for Vancouver, with the AWD being so perfect for rainy days, and i won't have to deal with transport issues to cypress/whistler/seymour/baker/big white ski trips, throw on a set of good snowies and literally unstoppable! Just wish they came in a hatch...

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
Old 05-15-2014, 11:42 AM   #66
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,696 Times in 1,625 Posts
^You're leaving out the "emotional" factor, and just dealing with theoretical numbers though.
The same reason why Top Gear rag on cars that should be amazing on paper.

Every car has characteristics that can't be quantified - probably the same reason you're looking to dump your current Mustang.

Then there are the small things that some people overlook that compromise any car's overall "quality", such as road noise, suspension comfort, etc.

I think all the decent suggestions have already been placed in front of you, but you're comparing them on a single dimension rather than multiple.

That being said, with $40K, I'd probably look into a certified pre-owned.
inv4zn is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2014, 11:42 AM   #67

turbo > supercharger when it comes to small engines.

the draw from the supercharger is too much for a small engine to make much of a benifit from.

turbo on the other hand loves playing with quick rpm.

i bet you can get the brz/frs to 350whp turboed for less than the supercharger route
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2014, 11:46 AM   #68
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

You just went full Timpo.

xxxx add 10hp, power to weight ratio xxx.
1/4 mile in xx seconds

Go test drive it
Car need to be drive so you can feel in PERSON.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:52 AM   #69

I am including emotional factors. The primal roar of a 5.0L v8 spinning to 8000RPM's with an open exhaust is pretty damn emotional to me... Same thing with the history and heritage of the Mustang, i love how everyone rags on them yet has never driven them, it's got that X factor of being different.

The emotional factor of the BRZ is the sheer enjoyment of the handling, the glorious transitions at corner entry speeds approaching that of a supercar, the complete neutral feeling with the ability to dial understeer out, and oversteer in with a blip of the throttle and a pew PSI's of amazing supercharger whine.

They're both so emotional and awesome in there own ways, that i felt it wasn't a factor as- to me- they're both equally as emotional. What it now boils down to is numbers, and how they drive. I've driven quite a few GT's, and it's an awesome experience, i just wish i could drive a boosted BRZ/FRS as well.

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
Old 05-15-2014, 12:15 PM   #70
Banned (ABWS)

Why not get something older and cheaper, then use the money to do something kind of wild with it?

A stock 5.0 will be fun for awhile, then it will be just like any other car on the road without your own personality into it!

Give it some thought of what kind of 10k car or cheaper you could get, and what wild shit you could do with it?
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2014, 12:19 PM   #71
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I know my fanboi is showing, but e46 m3 and money left over for a rainy day/mods/exploded suspension bushings, etc. is a great choice. Its no V8, but the 3.2 I6 is better than the majority of them. I don't think you will find a better new car than what you already have for your budget, other than wanting a clutch pedal.

E46 M3 is a beautiful car, bronze one at Racing Greed right now is so sexy
Old 05-15-2014, 12:20 PM   #72
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,168 Times in 7,157 Posts
In your situation with 40k to spend I'd gladly lease a civic @ $89 bi weekly or whatever ridiculous rate it is and an older sports car to beat the living shit out of. Then that can solve your worries about the track days as well.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2014, 12:31 PM   #73
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Thanked 1,177 Times in 200 Posts
Quote:
Just wish they came in a hatch...
Me too...we are likely needing a second car and it is so hard reading about the 2015 wrx and sti knowing there is no hatch and unfortunately for us, that's a dealbreaker at this time.
tastic is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2014, 12:34 PM   #74
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
You seem pretty set on a new car since you've rejected a number of used cars which would give way more performance for the $, even factoring in maintenance.. so you basically want the best bang for the buck HP in a new car, and a manual transmission.

Just get the mustang..
Old 05-15-2014, 12:35 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by multicartual View Post
Why not get something older and cheaper, then use the money to do something kind of wild with it?

A stock 5.0 will be fun for awhile, then it will be just like any other car on the road without your own personality into it!

Give it some thought of what kind of 10k car or cheaper you could get, and what wild shit you could do with it?
ill tell u something... turbo spool.. wastegate and blow off valve sounds you will never get tired of.

personally. i love how the power comes on in a turbo, even if the NA car is faster the turbo car will feel faster

and who dosnt love a nice front mount intercooler