REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Entertainment Forum

Entertainment Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Entertainment District
Members' movie reviews, Trailers, TV show post-discussions. Warning: Absolutely, do not post links to pirated or illegal download sites!

Old 11-16-2014, 02:13 AM   #26
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
1. expected the use of Imax cameras, space, exploration, etc. would mean excellent cinematography, but Nope. Instead we get constant close-ups/tight spaces/and lazy CGI

2. the constant attempt at making the undramatic, excessively dramatic was annoying (the docking sequences come to mind; his son returning to the farm for two)

3. you know what's coming right from the beginning but it took about 2.5hours before we got to it and the movie actually started before then it was just mind numbingly needless time wasting (see #2)

4. the last 30mins? was acceptable at best, kinda lame, but compared to the rest of it it was great

5. Matthew was good and I liked the casting of his daughters they performed well and actually looked like one another (the role of his son seemed completely needless)

not really but kind of a spoiler? so spoilered
Spoiler!

When the lights came on in the theatre (20% full) it looked like everyone was jarred awake by the lights and groggily got up and labouriously made their way down the steps

All in all disappointed but it passed the time.

4/10

I suspect a lot of the love is due to Christopher Nolan fans
Advertisement

Last edited by StylinRed; 11-16-2014 at 02:18 AM.
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-16-2014, 02:24 AM   #27
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
How did I know you'd hate this movie

So sad, but to each their own

As for liking because of Nolan, not for me. I enjoy his movies but am not a "huge fan".
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-16-2014, 02:51 AM   #28

lol i thought this may have actually been another movie we'd both like :P

but naw wasn't for me :/

i'm usually a Nolan fan myself which was another reason I thought i'd like this flick :/
Old 11-16-2014, 03:33 AM   #29
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
u guys just all gotta check out

2001: a space odyssey

you'll know what exactly this movie was paying homage to.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 06:48 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
u guys just all gotta check out

2001: a space odyssey

you'll know what exactly this movie was paying homage to.
To even compare it to 2001 is an insult imo
This failed everywhere 2001 succeeded in

Edit about the ending...

Spoiler!

Last edited by StylinRed; 11-16-2014 at 07:56 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-16-2014, 07:48 AM   #31
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I'm with stylin, I'm not 100% feeling the movie. Heard about it and saw it for the hype but kinda of disappointed and thought I wasted 2.5 hours
Old 11-16-2014, 09:49 PM   #32
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Watched it in 70mm IMAX today. I've already reviewed the movie, so here are some of my thoughts of what I found different:
  1. The most important difference to me was the sound mixing in IMAX was far superior to the regular edit. I could actually hear the dialogue, and not just reverberating bass.
  2. The IMAX scenes were gorgeous. Basically any scene you were in awe for (if you were in awe, for that matter), were just unbelievable on IMAX. If you have a chance, definitely try and catch it on the BIGger screen (digital or 70mm).
  3. The "normal" parts to the movie somehow looked worse. The dynamic range wasn't there, so there was a lot of things in darkness that I don't remember being dark. It might be the older theatre, but maybe not.
  4. If there's one thing that leaving film as a medium is good for, it's the lack of "crap" on the reels while you're watching. For a good 10 minutes, there was a stray pube right on screen. It would've driven me insane had it been the first time watching it.
  5. How did Topher Grace get so much IMAX screen time? I swear there's a huge chunk of him on the big screen, but WHY?

tl;dr-

If you loved the movie in digital, you'll love it even more in IMAX (either film or digital). If you had trouble hearing dialogue, try to catch it in IMAX. If you love Topher Grace, try to catch it in IMAX.

Last edited by m3thods; 11-16-2014 at 11:01 PM. Reason: grammar!
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-16-2014, 10:26 PM   #33
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
To even compare it to 2001 is an insult imo
This failed everywhere 2001 succeeded in

Edit about the ending...

Spoiler!
But I wonder if in a way, Interstellar succeeded where 2001 failed... ie. Giant space baby.

I think for the most part, Interstellar managed to semi-neatly tie up it's loose ends. Even if those loose ends were drawn from plot devices that were way too hastily set up to have any emotional buy-in.

For example:
Spoiler!

I think the only character I really had any empathy for was Dr. Mann.
Spoiler!

The other major plot devices were pretty weak. Overall, I feel like it was some sort of visual tour de force that really had no substance behind it, other than an overly dramatic score that was really kind of annoying at times.

The one thing that did have me excited, only to let me down:
Spoiler!

*sigh* Ok it wasn't exactly as bad as I'm making it out to be... but even the people I watched it with, who aren't very critical viewers felt cheated.

06+ Yamaha R6 parts!

My Feedback
RunningFree is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-17-2014, 05:12 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
[*]The "normal" parts to the movie somehow looked worse. The dynamic range wasn't there, so there was a lot of things in darkness that I don't remember being dark. It might be the older theatre, but maybe not.
think i made a comment somewhere but the normal scenes were upconverted (albeit from a 4k source) and it was reported those images looked weak/soft

I didn't know that the regular versions of the film had horrible audio though, I noticed the dialogue issues (didn't see it in imax) and thought that was just how Nolan made it; which was quite annoying
edit: well looks like Nolan and team wanted it that way http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/17/7...sound-designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningFree View Post
But I wonder if in a way, Interstellar succeeded where 2001 failed... ie. Giant space baby.
lol i dunno if that had never been done before and i saw it today i would be like but since its from the 60's I guess I give it allowances

Quote:
I think the only character I really had any empathy for was Dr. Mann.
Spoiler!
Damon performed well but its just a nitpick for me i guess that his type of characters profile/m.o. has been overused for me (from other films) so i didn't really care either :/

Quote:
The one thing that did have me excited, only to let me down:
Spoiler!

*sigh* Ok it wasn't exactly as bad as I'm making it out to be... but even the people I watched it with, who aren't very critical viewers felt cheated.
YES! that's a complaint I've seen and heard a lot! I'm actually pretty surprised so many ppl feel the same way about that...maybe they'll release an extended version on disc with it

I think my expectations may have been too high...i dunno..so we were pretty bummed out by it however not so let down that we would walk out of the movie (which we've done before)

Last edited by StylinRed; 11-17-2014 at 09:06 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-17-2014, 09:01 PM   #35
GO FLAMES GO

Thanked 2,210 Times in 701 Posts
good movie, hit me hard in the feels
2001 Acura Integra Type-R *SOLD*
Club-Integra.net OG
Your Friendly Neighborhood Firefighter
Tegra_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-17-2014, 09:11 PM   #36

Quote:
2. the constant attempt at making the undramatic, excessively dramatic was annoying (the docking sequences come to mind; his son returning to the farm for two)
What goes on in your mind during scenes like these? Because both times I was on the edge of my seat, palms sweating...

If you don't buy those tense moments (and I think you said the same thing about Gravity) I'd be curious to know what type of movie it takes to get your heart pumping...
This post thanked by:
Old 11-17-2014, 10:37 PM   #37
Need my Daily Fix of RS

For me, when the scene started, it was tense.

But then the same scene was shown again and again, like the docking clamps not clamping. It lost it's effect for me.

The same thing happened when the camera kept showing Topher Grace. It reminded me of the Austin Powers steam roller scene:

Gravity for me was more intense... I realized that I never, ever want to venture into space.

06+ Yamaha R6 parts!

My Feedback
RunningFree is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-17-2014, 11:19 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
What goes on in your mind during scenes like these? Because both times I was on the edge of my seat, palms sweating...

If you don't buy those tense moments (and I think you said the same thing about Gravity) I'd be curious to know what type of movie it takes to get your heart pumping...
no i liked gravity (as far as i can remember anyway)

i just didn't feel it in those docking moments...it just seemed comical to me with the zimmer music going crazy over coupling it was like especially on the 2nd/3rd time it was like COME ON
it just didn't seem like an act that deserved being played up since its an act that astronauts would be used to (McConaugheys character anyway since it's not his first rodeo) or the robots/computer systems iirc the first tense docking scene was handled by the marine robot

the only docking sequence that deserved all the drama was the last one (given the circumstances) but by that time i was already jaded and im like "here we go again"
Old 11-18-2014, 08:55 PM   #39
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Spoiler!
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:05 PM   #40
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Watched it in 70mm IMAX today. I've already reviewed the movie, so here are some of my thoughts of what I found different:
  1. The most important difference to me was the sound mixing in IMAX was far superior to the regular edit. I could actually hear the dialogue, and not just reverberating bass.
  2. The IMAX scenes were gorgeous. Basically any scene you were in awe for (if you were in awe, for that matter), were just unbelievable on IMAX. If you have a chance, definitely try and catch it on the BIGger screen (digital or 70mm).
  3. The "normal" parts to the movie somehow looked worse. The dynamic range wasn't there, so there was a lot of things in darkness that I don't remember being dark. It might be the older theatre, but maybe not.
  4. If there's one thing that leaving film as a medium is good for, it's the lack of "crap" on the reels while you're watching. For a good 10 minutes, there was a stray pube right on screen. It would've driven me insane had it been the first time watching it.
  5. How did Topher Grace get so much IMAX screen time? I swear there's a huge chunk of him on the big screen, but WHY?

tl;dr-

If you loved the movie in digital, you'll love it even more in IMAX (either film or digital). If you had trouble hearing dialogue, try to catch it in IMAX. If you love Topher Grace, try to catch it in IMAX.
Are you a compositor?
R. Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:06 PM   #41
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,697 Times in 1,625 Posts
Quote:

i just didn't feel it in those docking moments...it just seemed comical to me with the zimmer music going crazy over coupling it was like especially on the 2nd/3rd time it was like COME ON
it just didn't seem like an act that deserved being played up since its an act that astronauts would be used to (McConaugheys character anyway since it's not his first rodeo) or the robots/computer systems iirc the first tense docking scene was handled by the marine robot

the only docking sequence that deserved all the drama was the last one (given the circumstances) but by that time i was already jaded and im like "here we go again"
I think that perhaps you're being overly critical, because you weren't able to be "immersed" as myself and others who liked it were.

The repetition of the docking sequences were never "here we go again"...because I was "in" the movie, and it wasn't a repetition of the same event, but just the next event in a marvelous sequence of very interesting events.

Maybe not totally equivalent, but it's kind of like thinking to yourself "here we go again" as your wife starts screaming having her third child, because you've already witnessed it twice.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:36 PM   #42
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
BTW, interesting point I came across regarding Digital IMAX vs. film:

Quote:
Film-based IMAX runs 65mm film stock sideways through the projector. This format means each frame of the movie is held on a very large area of film.

This large physical area results in a very high image quality.

If you wanted to faithfully represent this image digitally you might use 8000x4000 = 32M pixels. At a pinch you might get away with 6000x3000 = 18M pixels.

Digital IMAX uses the same large screen size as IMAX but replaces the film with a 2K digital projection system.
So you are seeing only 2 Million pixels in the image. You read that correctly.
The thing they call "Digital IMAX" contains 10 or 20X less picture information.

IMAX has plans to replace the projectors with 4K models. But currently, Digital IMAX is pretty much the same resolution as your domestic 1080P TV (1920x1080).

In other words, go see Interstellar on actual film.
Digital IMAX is not a high resolution format.
Glyn Williams's answer to What's the difference between 70 mm IMAX and digital IMAX? Which one should one prefer to watch movies like Interstellar? - Quora
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-18-2014, 09:42 PM   #43
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Keep it simple.

I can see general audience not liking it. I very much enjoyed it and didn't want it to end. I went in totally blind didn't know the cast (except for Matthew) and dint even see a trailer. Bu that's because I KNEW I'd like it and didn't want to spoiler anything.

The love shit was lame. But the rest was awesome sauce
320icar is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-18-2014, 10:12 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Mutt View Post
Are you a compositor?
I am not. I'm just a huge fan of spectacles and, from what I read online, seeing Interstellar in 70mm IMAX was the way to watch it. I couldn't wait another week to see it, so I watched it in UltraAVX opening weekend. I'm glad I did because I was able to really appreciate the IMAX scenes for what they were after the fact. I actually love the film more after seeing it again in IMAX.

If you're really looking for something to do, I really suggest heading down to Seattle to check it out in 70mm IMAX. It's supposedly the last feature film to be done in the format, so at least you can say that you saw it in 70mm IMAX. If you do go, however, do get your tickets online early and arrive early to line-up. I went 40 mins early and was halfway through the lineup. All shows were sold out for the past 2 weekends (4 per day I believe).

Make a day out of it if you feel silly going down to see a movie. I went to catch the early showing, then spent the rest of the day eating and chilling at Pike Place.

Edit: I thought I'd share this. I've been listening to it all day and it's made me want to watch the film again just for this one scene. Spoilered since it's taken from the film (audio):

Skinny feel free to take it down if it violates anything.

And for you guys that didn't like the film. I will concede that the dialogue is almost "George Lucas"-like. As evidenced by the clip above. It's pretty bad in some parts lol

Last edited by m3thods; 11-18-2014 at 10:21 PM.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:14 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
A more visual aid:

Interstellar is playing in IMAX, IMAX Experience, 70mm, 35mm, 4K, 2K? Here?s how to decide which format to see it in (VIDEO).
Old 11-18-2014, 11:45 PM   #46
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Lots of debate on this. Is it because its by Nolan? It sure is an adventurous project for him.

Spoiler!

I DL'ed the FLAC of the OST. Zimmerman's masterpiece.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:54 AM   #47

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
watched it in digital IMAX...audio was very immersive so you felt like you were actually in the ship but I did have trouble hearing some dialogue.
non-IMAX scenes were indeed pretty bad...mostly on Earth so you don't miss out on too much details.

i'd rate the movie 7/10...i may appreciate it more on subsequent viewings esp the last 45 minutes. I applaud Nolan for trying to take tackle themes of this scale...but I don't think he'll ever top Memento for coherence and artistic style. I've noticed The Dark Knight Rises and this one the last 45 min feels too rushed and suffers feature creep as he tries to cram too much shit in for that epiphany factor.

Spoiler!
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 07:46 AM   #48

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
BTW, this is an awesome read

Arun Singh's answer to Did Interstellar (2014 movie) take its concept from Hindu mythology? - Quora

Spoiler!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 07:56 AM   #49

Quote:

This definitely gives me some insight on how you approach movies, and probably why our tastes differ so much... Interesting!
This post thanked by:
Old 11-19-2014, 10:07 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
watched it in digital IMAX...audio was very immersive so you felt like you were actually in the ship but I did have trouble hearing some dialogue.
non-IMAX scenes were indeed pretty bad...mostly on Earth so you don't miss out on too much details.

i'd rate the movie 7/10...i may appreciate it more on subsequent viewings esp the last 45 minutes. I applaud Nolan for trying to take tackle themes of this scale...but I don't think he'll ever top Memento for coherence and artistic style. I've noticed The Dark Knight Rises and this one the last 45 min feels too rushed and suffers feature creep as he tries to cram too much shit in for that epiphany factor.

Spoiler!
Spoiler!
This post thanked by: