REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:26 AM   #1
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Police Use Of Force Drops 60% When Officers Required To Wear Video Cameras

Police Use Of Force Drops 60% When Officers Required To Wear Video Cameras | Ben Swann Truth In Media

Police Use Of Force Drops 60% When Officers Required To Wear Video Cameras
PoliticsUSBy: Jay Syrmopoulos Mar 10, 2014

Rialto, CA- The Rialto Police Department, over the past year, has been experimenting with equipping body cameras to the 70 officers on its force. The initial results show a promising solution to the excessive use of force by officers.

The police chief in Rialto, Tony Farrar, is on record as stating, “ I think we’ve opened some eyes in the law enforcement world. We’ve shown the potential.”

This potential he speaks of is due to the scientific data that this experiment has yielded over the course of the last year. The body cameras were introduced on officers in February 2012, over the next twelve months total complaints filed against them dropped by a staggering 88%, with use of force by officers dropping by 60%.

With the cameras there has been an improvement in officer’s demeanor and tone towards those they serve. As Chief Farrar noted, “With a camera they are more conscious of how they speak and how they treat people.”

When those in a position of authority are watched they are less likely to abuse that authority. Chief Farrar says, “That’s just human nature. As an officer you act a bit more professional, follow the rules a bit better.” In addition it also helps protect officers from false accusations of excessive use of force.

Chief Farrar is providing a new paradigm for policing, taking a proactive approach rather than making excuses for his officers and toeing the line. To his credit he has a master’s degree from the Cambridge Institute of Criminology, from which stemmed the idea to utilize cameras.
Advertisement
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-20-2014, 01:54 AM   #2
I subscribe to Revscene

Im not surprised but those are astonishing results... too bad the institutionalized terror that police officers bring is trained and commanded from the top down so I highly doubt our leaders would let this be implemented through out the Americas.

We need camera's on these crooks to get 80% turnarounds.
Spoiler!
jasonturbo & westopher in the election thread
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8668948
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8667115
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-20-2014, 11:09 AM   #3
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
^ Hey look who showed up, the village fucking idiot.

There's another way to look at it. Perhaps all the idiots out there who know they are being videotaped aren't able to file complaints against the officers as there's a record of what happened.

It goes both ways, but of course people will jump to conclusions and assume that police are the ONLY ones acting differently due to the knowledge of being recorded.
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:20 AM   #4
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

We need this everywhere.

Bonus, they can sell crazy footage to the show COPS, in the action style
z3german is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 12:06 PM   #5
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by z3german View Post
We need this everywhere.

Agreed 100%

Cops are generally good people but fuck when a bad one is having a bad day and doesn't like you, watch out!!!
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 12:08 PM   #6
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Anyone shocked at the results? If my employer filmed me (and I knew about it) they would probably see production increase and generally speaking me doing a better job.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 12:14 PM   #7
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,782 Times in 2,491 Posts
good idea. i think it also helps keep those they interact with a little accountable too. if they do something to cause an officer to take action they cannot cry brutality or something.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-20-2014, 02:17 PM   #8
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,717 Times in 689 Posts
I like this idea because it not only protects the public, it also protects the officers who are sometimes falsely accused and reprimanded by bystanders that don't fully understand what is going on.

Last edited by PeanutButter; 05-20-2014 at 02:57 PM. Reason: spelling fail =/
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 02:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
I like this idea because it not only protects the public, it also protects the officers who are sometimes falsely accursed and reprimanded by bystanders that don't fully understand what is going on.
yeah that's why the number of force used and number of reduced complaints are different.

Obviously the force was reduced by 60% which is good, but the complaints are reduced by 88%, not 60%.

Bystanders/people can't exaggerate the stories how cops are beating people up for nothing, also cops can't randomly threat people with power and jail time.
It really works out great for both parties. In event of lawsuit, it won't be push and shove with your word vs cop's word.
The judge can just look at the video, which usually worth more than your/witness/officers words. I think cameras are necessary ESPECIALLY for a profession like police.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:46 PM   #10
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,872 Times in 3,849 Posts
On the flip side, I wonder how many officers could get injured or how many suspects could get away because an officer is worried about overusing force and therefore uses too little force? The very nature of their job and the clowns they deal with means that they WILL need to use force at times - and rightly so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangonay View Post
There's another way to look at it. Perhaps all the idiots out there who know they are being videotaped aren't able to file complaints against the officers as there's a record of what happened.

It goes both ways, but of course people will jump to conclusions and assume that police are the ONLY ones acting differently due to the knowledge of being recorded.
Agreed, I wonder how many complaints don't get filed once some dumbass realizes they were taped being a dumbass.

Police: "Before you file that complaint sir, would you like to review the video footage?"
Dumbass: "The what?"
Police: "The video recording of the incident, from the officers video camera."
Dumbass: "Err, y'know what, just forget about that complaint..."
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 03:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
On the flip side, I wonder how many officers could get injured or how many suspects could get away because an officer is worried about overusing force and therefore uses too little force? The very nature of their job and the clowns they deal with means that they WILL need to use force at times - and rightly so.

Agreed, I wonder how many complaints don't get filed once some dumbass realizes they were taped being a dumbass.

Police: "Before you file that complaint sir, would you like to review the video footage?"
Dumbass: "The what?"
Police: "The video recording of the incident, from the officers video camera."
Dumbass: "Err, y'know what, just forget about that complaint..."
But you still can't deny the fact that the complaints decreased by 88% which is quite substantial.

I have never been a victim of police brutality, however there are bunch of videos on Youtube that are quite disturbing.

Officers would tazer a 18 year old girl who is already handcuffed and on the ground just so that she would shut up.
They would kick you in the rib 5 times even though you're handcuffed and not resisting.

Police brutality is a serious problem, however if you look on youtube, citizens tend to get officers back when the "victim" ran away, resist, act like an idiot, etc. You'll see so many comments "This is far from police brutality, this bitch deserved it" or "Hahaha that guy was acting like an idiot"
So my point is, a lot of people tend to get officers' back if it was fair.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:12 PM   #12
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
It probably has more to do with the change in demeanor of the "clients" after they are aware they are being filmed.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-20-2014, 03:13 PM   #13
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,355 Times in 3,445 Posts
Just put camera's on every street corner or just force everyone to wear google glass.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:23 PM   #14
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,120 Times in 280 Posts
thats the only way to find persons of interest
duy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 05:29 PM   #15
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by multicartual View Post
Agreed 100%

Cops are generally good people but fuck when one is having a bad day, watch out!!!
ftfy
geeknerd is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-20-2014, 07:00 PM   #16
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,830 Times in 877 Posts
i'm neither for or against this, but for the sake of discussion...

sure, it's great to have them act nicer and be more professional... but what i'm wondering is if it would make officers second guess themselves in crucial moments that require judgment calls and immediate actions. In video, we can slow things down, we can take our time to evaluate everything in the video and break it down to analyze, but an officer may have to make split second decisions. If a suspect had a weapon and did not obey repeated orders to drop it, and your weapon is drawn, protocol would have you shoot the guy. Will having a camera make an officer second guess himself in that moment, knowing he would be scrutinized for his actions (shooting and possibly killing someone on video)?
bobbinka is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-20-2014, 08:08 PM   #17
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,717 Times in 689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbinka View Post
i'm neither for or against this, but for the sake of discussion...

sure, it's great to have them act nicer and be more professional... but what i'm wondering is if it would make officers second guess themselves in crucial moments that require judgment calls and immediate actions. In video, we can slow things down, we can take our time to evaluate everything in the video and break it down to analyze, but an officer may have to make split second decisions. If a suspect had a weapon and did not obey repeated orders to drop it, and your weapon is drawn, protocol would have you shoot the guy. Will having a camera make an officer second guess himself in that moment, knowing he would be scrutinized for his actions (shooting and possibly killing someone on video)?
When those types of situations go down, I think instinct just kicks in and adrenaline starts pumping. I don't know how much the officer/s are going to pay attention to their video camera vs. trying not to get injured.

All police cars have video camera's on them. I don't think that affects their ability to handle a situation with the proper protocol.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:30 PM   #18

Montreal Police is considering it.
Vancouver Police Department and other BC police force should consider this.

Should Montreal police officers wear video cameras? | CTV Montreal News
Old 05-22-2014, 02:49 PM   #19
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
Anyone shocked at the results? If my employer filmed me (and I knew about it) they would probably see production increase and generally speaking me doing a better job.
This.. not sure why anyone is surprised, as it's the Hawthorne effect in action. People - cops, construction workers, even 9-5 peasants - will all behave differently (generally more positively or with greater productivity) when they know they are being recorded. That being said, I think this is a great idea and should be implemented in Vancouver as well.

I've had multiple different cops tell me that I "shouldn't be afraid of being searched/watched if you're not doing anything wrong"... so what's the difference when we reverse the observer/observed status quo? $0.02.
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 05:01 PM   #20
I subscribe to Revscene

The police chiefs should also be monitored in the office as to what reports and high profile cases they over see... its not enough to just resign when shit hits the fan as our own police chief did when video of Paul Boyds murder surfaced five years after the fact. Despite the many witnesses, the force colluded to make it look like Boyd was swinging a bike chain when in reality he was crawling on his hands and knees when shot.
jasonturbo & westopher in the election thread
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8668948
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8667115
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by: