REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:56 PM   #1
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Why do people become homeless?

Do you have any idea why people become homeless?

I thought the reasons were.. loss of jobs, huge debt, drug/alcohol & mental problems, unexpected expense, etc.

But isn't there funding available for people who do not have a job, and aren't disabled people entitled for disability benefits?

I was wondering because someone said something like "oh well if I lose my job, I'll just let government take care of myself" and I was like "so why do people become homeless?" and he was like "because they don't know the system"

Is this true??

So say you lose your job today, or get into huge debt due to unexpected medical bill or whatever, and can't afford to pay rent & food...would you become homeless or no? I'm just curious.
Advertisement
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-28-2014, 12:16 AM   #2
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
I was homeless as a teenager for a couple years as my father and brother were too difficult to live with (Both super fucking beta and I couldn't have girls over) and my mother's house in White Rock had absolutely nothing but a bed for me to sleep in. A bored teenager is a troublesome teenager. I had no friends in that neighborhood so I couch-surfed in Vancouver and eventually landed a minimum wage job and found a room to rent while I got on my feet.

Grade 9 education baby, woo!!!

Often a reason people become homeless is because the mean streets are still more kind than their own family

Last edited by multicartual; 05-28-2014 at 12:21 AM.
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-28-2014, 12:33 AM   #3
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,751 Times in 3,867 Posts
So if i get fired from my job, therefore no EI, would the government step in with welfare? Or because i am a young able bodied man i "shouldn't have a problem finding a job" therefore I'd be told to get lost.

In all reality I'd be homeless in a month if i got fired. $25/hour and definitely still paycheque to paycheque
320icar is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-28-2014, 12:37 AM   #4
Welcome to Planet Power ///M

Thanked 2,979 Times in 527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by multicartual View Post
I was homeless as a teenager for a couple years as my father and brother were too difficult to live with (Both super fucking beta and I couldn't have girls over) and my mother's house in White Rock had absolutely nothing but a bed for me to sleep in. A bored teenager is a troublesome teenager. I had no friends in that neighborhood so I couch-surfed in Vancouver and eventually landed a minimum wage job and found a room to rent while I got on my feet.

Grade 9 education baby, woo!!!

Often a reason people become homeless is because the mean streets are still more kind than their own family

... so basically you had two homes
CharlieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 12:41 AM   #5
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
So if i get fired from my job, therefore no EI, would the government step in with welfare? Or because i am a young able bodied man i "shouldn't have a problem finding a job" therefore I'd be told to get lost.

In all reality I'd be homeless in a month if i got fired. $25/hour and definitely still paycheque to paycheque
lol. well you suck at managing money.
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-28-2014, 12:43 AM   #6
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
... so basically you had two homes

Two homes, no parenting

The divorce destroyed my family. My mother eventually killed herself, my brother stole from me constantly and my father was never really around. Life was hell growing up which resulted in me wanting to enjoy a carefree, #FreeSpirit existence as an adult!
This post thanked by:
Old 05-28-2014, 12:45 AM   #7
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight_KB View Post
lol. well you suck at managing money.

I make in the looooow 5 figures a month/high 4 figures and I'm cheque to cheque too, a fun life is expensive!
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-28-2014, 12:50 AM   #8

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
Quote:
I make in the looooow 5 figures a month/high 4 figures and I'm cheque to cheque too, a fun life is expensive!
well not all of us have the desire to drink and do coke every night of the week...
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 01:03 AM   #9
$_$
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post

But how long would you stay homeless for? You can find a shitty job at minimum wage, pay 400-500 for a room somewhere, eat instant noodles everyday and you'd still be able to survive no? I'd say it's pretty hard to be/stay homeless in this country if your willing to work and you have SOME sense of money management.
$_$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 01:29 AM   #10

yeah $25/hr is far from minimum wage.. if you work full time, $25/hr x 1,920hr = $48,000/year before tax
This post thanked by:
Old 05-28-2014, 01:31 AM   #11

oh wait, but the poverty line is $20.10/hr so.. You should make at least $20.10/h to live here | Vancouver 24 hrs
This post thanked by:
Old 05-28-2014, 01:35 AM   #12
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
You should make your own reality show!
Xu.Vi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-28-2014, 01:42 AM   #13
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight_KB View Post
well not all of us have the desire to drink and do coke every night of the week...
You'd be surprised at how healthy my lifestyle actually is now...
Old 05-28-2014, 01:50 AM   #14
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
oh wait, but the poverty line is $20.10/hr so.. You should make at least $20.10/h to live here | Vancouver 24 hrs

Gastown Bachelor

$750 / 160ft² - Gastown Bachelor (90 Alexander )

I pay $2150 for 1000sq ft, the poor get fucked so hard
Old 05-28-2014, 01:53 AM   #15
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
Most homeless suffer from addiction or mental illness.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 02:24 AM   #16
I subscribe to Revscene

Edit
I didnt find much in this video

Canada's Welfare System and Living Income Guaranteed?
_youtube.com/watch?v=8s-w9Mgte_k

but welfare is being denied to the needy... I guess the worse case scenarios are men stealing and ending up in prison to do cheap labour for food... or women selling sex for food which has its own dangers and problems.

PDF - http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...67720277,d.aWw
jasonturbo & westopher in the election thread
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8668948
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8667115
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc

Last edited by CharlesInCharge; 05-28-2014 at 03:01 AM.
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:08 AM   #17
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsx View Post
the first educated post in this thread....

the worst part about our welfare system is the assholes and lowlifes that don't actual need it and steal from the system taking away the money that should actually go to helping those in need
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:59 AM   #18
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsx View Post
+1

I do volunteer work 1-2 times a month downtown and you'll be shocked how many people who are homeless actually held good paying jobs, came from loving homes but life took a really bad turn either in the form of drugs or their mental issues got so bad that people around them basically disowned them.

I actually met a guy a few months back who was introduced to me by one of the people who run the shelters in downtown. This guy, who's in his in mid 40's, worked for a large oil company in Alberta a few years back, he told me he made well over six figures, had a wife and two kids and basically got caught up with bad company and got hooked on coke which lead into other drugs like heroin.

He told me within a span of 6 months of doing drugs he put himself into massive debt, lost his job, wife filed for divorce, took his kids and left him with nothing. He's basically a shell of the person he use to be because he has a out of control drug addition problem and he's tried to get treatment but he gets turned away or it's for a short term. His entire family including his own parents disowned him. He'll probably never hold a steady job again because there's not enough treatment centres to provide help for these people and without a support system like family or friends it's near impossible to break a serious drug problem.
Harvey Specter is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-28-2014, 04:07 AM   #19

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Gastown Bachelor

$750 / 160ft² - Gastown Bachelor (90 Alexander )

I pay $2150 for 1000sq ft, the poor get fucked so hard
and why should the poor live in downtown? if you're poor, you live within your means and work hard to become un-poor.

i'm sorry if living int he burbs in a basement suite near transit sucks and you can't have a car and all the nice things, but life is tough, so you work hard to be able to have a nicer life - people are way too entitled these days.
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-28-2014, 04:09 AM   #20
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
i'm sorry if living int he burbs in a basement suite near transit sucks and you can't have a car and all the nice things, but life is tough

Wow, depressing.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:46 AM   #21
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

S#it. I wouldn't know what to do if I was homeless tomorrow.
hi-revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:57 AM   #22
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
and why should the poor live in downtown? if you're poor, you live within your means and work hard to become un-poor.
They probably live downtown because it is close to their work so they don't need to own a car. Everything is in walking/bike distance. Why pay a monthly car payment + insurance + gas if you don't need to? Most people for those places usually only go home to their suite to shit shower shave and sleep, other than that, they're out doing something.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:14 AM   #23
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,788 Times in 979 Posts
thread started by timpo, most responses by multicartual..

This post FAILED by:
Old 05-28-2014, 07:34 AM   #24
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Government assistance is pretty dismal. Low cost housing is fairly cheap, but if you live beyond your means it's still too expensive. Drug's will do that, booze will do that. Too much spare time will do that. Not to mention, a clever homeless dude can make some pretty decent coin on the streets
Old 05-28-2014, 07:36 AM   #25
$_$
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
Quote:
They probably live downtown because it is close to their work so they don't need to own a car. Everything is in walking/bike distance. Why pay a monthly car payment + insurance + gas if you don't need to? Most people for those places usually only go home to their suite to shit shower shave and sleep, other than that, they're out doing something.
Are there no jobs in the burbs? Find a job at McDonald's/restaurant and rent as close as possible to there. Walk/bike to work. Eat minimal spend nothing. How hard was that? We're talking about people about to become homeless right? You shouldn't be out doing shit, pay for some cheap wifi and surf the net all day. I honestly think for a normal, none drug addicted person to become homeless in this country for long is very difficult.
$_$ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: