REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat

Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat Need to unlock your phone? Check us out at JP Cellular Repair.
Smatphones, Tablets, Pagers (lol), Accessories, Networks, Services, Tips & Tricks, Download ringtones, Screen savers..

Old 09-09-2014, 08:03 PM   #176
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Does samsung have the equivalent of "apple pay" that works in Canada?
Advertisement

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:37 PM   #177
My homepage has been set to RS

I think with apple pay this will set off the NFC payments and actually make it mainstream actually pretty acited about that feature! Kinda bummed with only 1gb of ram but if it the OS runs smooth then so be it! But obviously more ram the better!
Nabatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:47 PM   #178
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,393 Times in 5,667 Posts
hmm.. tempted to just buy one outright..

for me, it always seems with that "$199" cost, at the end of the day with all the fee's and shit it's closer to like $450 anyways

spent $900, sell my 5 for a couple hundred, and im not in a contact.. hmm..
Old 09-09-2014, 08:52 PM   #179
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,501 Times in 1,695 Posts
-wonder if this site is worth using to sell my iPhone 4S:

$107 for a 4S in mint condition

Sell Your Used iPhone 4S 8GB | Sphere - Sell Electronics
Old 09-09-2014, 08:53 PM   #180

^yeah tuff to say!

I got an upgrade soon but will have to pay abit for early upgrading...but can't justify buying outright for a 64gb model which probably will be close to 900 after taxes! I did that when the iPhone 5 came out and my phone was fucked straight out of the box. Hopefully quality control is improved after a few years...
Old 09-09-2014, 08:56 PM   #181
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,393 Times in 5,667 Posts
also how does extended apple care work if you do a HUP? how do you buy the extended apple care? through rogers?
Old 09-09-2014, 09:12 PM   #182

no clue on that part i would guess u could just buy it separately like all their other products! Im hoping they have a shit load of iPhones so that I can just walk into a apple store next friday and pick one up and not wait!
Old 09-09-2014, 10:00 PM   #183
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
also how does extended apple care work if you do a HUP? how do you buy the extended apple care? through rogers?
You buy it tbrough apple. Usually you can buy it after the 90 days or just before the 12 months.
Zordon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-09-2014, 10:04 PM   #184
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,584 Times in 4,299 Posts
Im so getting the 128gb, I'm two years into a 3yr contract, I wonder what overs will do for me
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:04 PM   #185
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,831 Times in 8,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
hmm.. tempted to just buy one outright..

for me, it always seems with that "$199" cost, at the end of the day with all the fee's and shit it's closer to like $450 anyways

spent $900, sell my 5 for a couple hundred, and im not in a contact.. hmm..
That's the way to do it.. but $900 for a phone man..... come on
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-09-2014, 10:05 PM   #186

i think they might have changed the rules on the apple care...since i bought my wife a iPad mini i asked the guy if i could buy apple care just before the 12months was up and he said no and that they changed it. And you have to buy it first when you purchase a product but not too sure if legit or not
Old 09-09-2014, 10:15 PM   #187
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyan View Post
To compare.. samsung galaxy s5 is 699.95 off contract same as the htc one m8.. not that different from other flagship phones.

At least the iphone has feels a lot more solid than a few pieces of plastic like the s5..
You are actually ok to pay $850 for a phone that JUST join up with the 5"+ screen size, not even the highest MP or on par with galaxy s5 camera, finally widget enabled (which will suck because of the lack of widget still), no water resistance, no removable battery, and no micro sd slot?

The last two flaws is what is keeping me from going iphone. Also, to upgrade to a 128 GB is $200+ more when you can just buy a 128 micro SD for $80ish at NCIX for phones that take micro SD's.

Apple basically announced a samsung galaxy s4 and s5.
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-09-2014, 10:19 PM   #188
In RS I Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabatron View Post
i think they might have changed the rules on the apple care...since i bought my wife a iPad mini i asked the guy if i could buy apple care just before the 12months was up and he said no and that they changed it. And you have to buy it first when you purchase a product but not too sure if legit or not
You have to sign up to applecare before the 1 warranty is up, I confirmed that with apple in May when a customer from work gave me a laptop he bought in Jan
This post thanked by:
Old 09-09-2014, 10:21 PM   #189

well wtf i guess that guy was just trying to bullshit me and pay for the applecare upfront...i don't know if they work on commission or what not but yeah pretty greasy for that guy to say that to me...
Old 09-09-2014, 10:50 PM   #190
In RS I Trust

nope they don't work on Commission at all thats the weird thing, no question thats kind of a dirty move playing it that way
This post thanked by:
Old 09-09-2014, 10:51 PM   #191
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_chin View Post
You are actually ok to pay $850 for a phone that JUST join up with the 5"+ screen size, not even the highest MP or on par with galaxy s5 camera, finally widget enabled (which will suck because of the lack of widget still), no water resistance, no removable battery, and no micro sd slot?
The new iPhone camera is too new but the old iPhone 5S already has a better camera than the S5. Don't fall for the megapixel trap.

Smartphone Camera Face-Off: iPhone 5s vs. Galaxy S5

Water resistance, removable battery and micro sd slots are nice to haves but aren't very important. I'd rather pay a little more to have all my data sitting on one partition on my phone instead of buying extra cards and junk. Even when I had my Nexus 4 I didn't miss the sd card.
mos_skeeto is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-09-2014, 11:24 PM   #192
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
You have to sign up to applecare before the 1 warranty is up, I confirmed that with apple in May when a customer from work gave me a laptop he bought in Jan
Laptop is different from tablet or phone

tablet or phone you have 30 days, laptop is up to the end of the year
RickyTan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:51 PM   #193
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mos_skeeto View Post
The new iPhone camera is too new but the old iPhone 5S already has a better camera than the S5. Don't fall for the megapixel trap.

Smartphone Camera Face-Off: iPhone 5s vs. Galaxy S5

Water resistance, removable battery and micro sd slots are nice to haves but aren't very important. I'd rather pay a little more to have all my data sitting on one partition on my phone instead of buying extra cards and junk. Even when I had my Nexus 4 I didn't miss the sd card.
But the problem here is, you're not paying "a little" more.

It's like saying, you'll pay $4000 more for a car with more cabin room, but without seat memory, dual climate control, adjustable steering, when you can save the $4000 and get a car with all options mentioned but slightly less cabin room.

The issue here IMO is that apple continuously try to use sale gimmicks to lure their customer to put money in their pocket. Hence why they're not making removable batteries and charging customers 3x the amount of the same GB you would pay in memory cards.

If you have extra cards and junk, then that means you're not managing your storage and files very well. Which in turns, would mean you would run out of space on the 128gb iphone 6 with junk and not delete anything because of your poor file management abilities.

There is no excuse to not want more features and options with the same price you'd pay for another less feature device. That is fanboy talk.
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-10-2014, 12:20 AM   #194
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
if anyone is looking into buying spigen cases for their phones, amazon.ca actually carries spigen products and is cheaper than spigen's own website. it also ships from within canada so no cross boarder fees n bs
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:55 AM   #195
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyTan3 View Post

when did the 30 days come into effect?

with my previous apple buys (ipad 2, ipad mini with retina, iphone 5) i was able to buy applecare anytime within the first year.
Cassijon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:01 AM   #196
In RS I Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyTan3 View Post

as long as the previous warranty isn't up you can get apple care on your item..
Old 09-10-2014, 07:04 AM   #197
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassijon View Post
when did the 30 days come into effect?

with my previous apple buys (ipad 2, ipad mini with retina, iphone 5) i was able to buy applecare anytime within the first year.
Not sure when it changed but when I bought my 5S about a year ago, I was told the policy changed and I only had 30 days to add Applecare. With my previous 4 I was able to buy within the 1st year.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:33 AM   #198
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
I see a lot of people/reviewers still hung up on hardware. You can't buy a device based simply on GHZ/cores/memory/pixels or whatever spec you like. This is why I think a lot of people see the iPhone 6 (or Note 4 or Galaxy S5) as "boring" upgrades that don't offer much more than their previous versions. And if you look at the hardware you'd be right. It's faster, has an improved screen and camera aaaaaaaaand that's it.

The software and ecosystem is what makes a device useful. Look at Samsung. They keep adding boatloads of new features to each device (a large number of which end up being gimmicks nobody uses) or even trying to build their own services that compete against Google (S-Voice, Galaxy Store, Milk Music, HERE Maps, S Translator and a bunch more I'm sure I left out). They also try to get developers to code for Samsung devices instead of Android (most recently with the Note 4 Edge so they can get devs to make apps that take advantage of the edge display).

Samsung understands that devices are all starting to have similar specs/hardware and you need a lot more than hardware to get people to pick your device over the numerous others that have similar specs. This is why Samsung invests so heavily in trying to make their devices stand out by adding more features and services to them.

To me the iPhone 6 announcement was good. Not great, not lousy - but good. Or "average". The real news was back in June with WWDC and the changes made to iOS 8 for both end users and the developers. It was true 40 years ago and it's true today - hardware is useless without software. iOS 8 is the cake, the iPhone 6 hardware is the icing.
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-10-2014, 07:45 AM   #199
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,831 Times in 8,197 Posts
All they needed to do was offer the larger size (something Jobs insisted he would never do) and that's what they did... By not moving the hardware forward too much, at least the 5S won't become obsolete the day ios8 is released... That's what happened with ios7 on the 512MB devices (which are still being sold iirc, as the ipad mini non-retina)
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:07 AM   #200
In RS I Trust

anyone know how much I would be able to sell my 64gb 5 for? I've never sold a phone before since I have always trashed it before I got a new one.