REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:05 PM   #1
RS controls my life!

Mayors want mobility tax on drivers to fund $7.5B transit expansion

Mayors want mobility tax on drivers to fund $7.5B transit expansion | CTV Vancouver News

So I'm going to give my two cents on this "PLAN"

I believe the government should not be in the transportation planning business.
Their plan is to reduce cars from high volume traffic areas and penalizing them for working the 9 to 5 grind.

That's obvious not fair, we do have a carbon tax and it apparently is not enough to fund their new expansion. So where is all the money going? I educated guess would be they are funneling it to other account for political extra curriculars.

So the guess the carbon tax is a bust, plan b would be this new plan to tax drivers driving habits in the name of reducing pollution and congested streets in Metro-Vancouver. I don't buy it!

Does anyone see the flaws in all these plans?

If you guessed Government... your right.

Time and time again the government has been unable to appropriately predict future population growth. Taxes revenues and fail to balance budgets. It seems they have a reactive stances towards everything they "PLAN", instead of a proactive approach.

Can you believe these people are our leaders! GTFO!

My plan would be to farm out the GVRD Public transportation designs to a private company and they will invest in the Capital for infrastructure needed to meet and needs of the GVRD. They most talented people work for private companies while the least intelligent work for the government.

Anyone else would like to contribute to this discussion?
Advertisement
FS1992EG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-13-2014, 08:31 PM   #2
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Yeah, the carbon tax just goes into general revenue...

As for the mayors, they can go to hell
tonyzoomzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:28 PM   #3
Not a mod

The crooks that run TransLink are probably thinking of pay increases. Maybe the Province should consider bringing in a competent group to manage and run the system.
SoulCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:13 PM   #4
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Soon our cars will have mandatory compass tap in and out systems installed to charge us for how far we drive
bartone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:26 PM   #5
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
You realize what happens if you privatize alternative forms of transportation, right? The low volume routes get downsized, if not outright slashed, and prices can skyrocket due to a lack of competition. Sure, it might be all fine and dandy if you only have to use buses around the Downtown Core, but the further reaches of the GVRD would be greatly affected. It's like BC Ferries - certain routes operate at a constant loss merely because service needs to be given to those areas. If a fully private company were to run it, you can bet those would be the first ones to go in order to balance the budget.

Public transportation is one of those areas where I have absolutely no qualms with the government running.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:35 PM   #6
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
By the way, the Carbon Tax is revenue neutral... meaning the government doesn't actually make any money from it.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-13-2014, 10:37 PM   #7
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,458 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FS1992EG View Post
Mayors want mobility tax on drivers to fund $7.5B transit expansion | CTV Vancouver News
I believe the government should not be in the transportation planning business.
Their plan is to reduce cars from high volume traffic areas and penalizing them for working the 9 to 5 grind.
The government has to be involved in the transportation planning business. Even if there was absolutely no public transit, it would still need to design and maintain the road network.

Quote:
That's obvious not fair, we do have a carbon tax and it apparently is not enough to fund their new expansion. So where is all the money going? I educated guess would be they are funneling it to other account for political extra curriculars.
That's a pretty baseless statement. Maybe it goes toward paying for your health care because you don't pay enough taxes (such as income taxes, and sales taxes) to sustain the health care system.

Quote:
Does anyone see the flaws in all these plans?

If you guessed Government... your right.

Time and time again the government has been unable to appropriately predict future population growth. Taxes revenues and fail to balance budgets. It seems they have a reactive stances towards everything they "PLAN", instead of a proactive approach.
So, what's your plan then? Keep in mind that the province has no say in telling people to stay away given things like the Charter of Rights and Freedoms and the fact that immigration is controlled by the federal government.

Quote:
My plan would be to farm out the GVRD Public transportation designs to a private company and they will invest in the Capital for infrastructure needed to meet and needs of the GVRD. They most talented people work for private companies while the least intelligent work for the government.

You're trolling pretty hard. Private companies don't give a shit about the transportation needs of the region - they care about making a profit. Therefore, only regions dense enough to generate a profit would get service while other areas, like any suburb outside of Burnaby would get nothing.

I'm glad that people like you don't work for the government.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:06 PM   #8
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:

this has got to be the most dumbest thing i've heard in awhile. soo much ignorance I dont even know where to begin. It drives me nuts that there are people like you who just go on ranting about this and that but have no damn clue on how it actually works. your plan should be to jump off a cliff because you're an idiot. I honestly think you need to step into the real world and see how it actually works.

private companies will only make it worst as all they care about is profit. even the most basic econ 101 class has taught us that public goods or services like infrastructure should be best handled by government organizations.

that's why a lot of times government hire consultants - the so called "experts or smart" people, instead of actually privatizing transportation.

problem with transportation is there are many interest groups. people in Vancouver don't want to pay for something that people in surrey will use etc etc. and everybody thinks they have a PhD in planning or can be an armchair quarterback when it comes to voicing their "plan"
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-13-2014, 11:35 PM   #9
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,846 Times in 885 Posts
I think it should be a requirement that you must read all previous Translink/Public Transportation threads before you're allowed to post a new thread so that:
1). we don't keep repeating the same arguments
2). people might learn a thing or two
3). we don't have ignorant posts like this

Quote:
So where is all the money going? I educated guess would be they are funneling it to other account for political extra curriculars.
bobbinka is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-13-2014, 11:43 PM   #10
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

hmm mobility tax might be pushing it, what if I want to do a road trip to Kelowna?

I don't mind if they toll every bridge in the lower mainland and entry into downtown like many US cities. I'm still dreaming of the day they turn oak/granville/hasting street into a highway.
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:53 AM   #11
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,383 Times in 5,083 Posts
Yah... force everyone out to the suburbs with ridiculous housing prices... and then charge them money for the privilege of commuting to their jobs in horrible traffic every day. Sounds legit.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 07:04 AM   #12
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
The gov have to keep in mind that a lot of people are force to live far far away form their work place due to housing cost. So now they are punishing people who don't make enough to live close to work by taxing them? The reason they move is coz they can't afford so I don't see the logic behind it............

Increasing public transit is a must but I think each city should pay for the appropriate %. Example if the whole plan cost 100Billion and we are spending 40billion on City of Vancouver then City of Vancouver is on the foot for 40billion because the increase service is in City of Vancouver. That way cities who gain little to no increase in public transit don't have to pay as much.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 07:30 AM   #13
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
I think the better way would be a public/private partnership similar to Canada Line. From what i've heard CL is doing fairly well with higher than projected ridership.

Maybe we need to look at that for bus services as well.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:54 AM   #14
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,458 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Yah... force everyone out to the suburbs with ridiculous housing prices... and then charge them money for the privilege of commuting to their jobs in horrible traffic every day. Sounds legit.
Commuting sucks, but what can municipal governments do? The only tool they have is property taxes. The popular idea is to raise property taxes for foreigners, but municipal governments probably don't want to bite the hand that feeds them (i.e. developers and construction companies). Besides, most municipal governments don't have the capacity to verify the residency of property owners.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:12 AM   #15
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,902 Times in 749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
By the way, the Carbon Tax is revenue neutral... meaning the government doesn't actually make any money from it.
Revenue neutral.... Just like aircare?
Old 06-14-2014, 09:15 AM   #16
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

We get taxed on taxed. You cant win.
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 11:22 AM   #17
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
yea don't charge fee for people who don't even use bridges..

just use ETC, problem solved

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_toll_collection
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 11:28 AM   #18

Anyways, Canada makes one of the best trains in the world.
I don't know why they had to purchase Skytrain fleets from Hyundai. Maybe they gave cheaper pricing?

Just stick to Bombardier
Bombardier Transportation - Rail Vehicles and Transportation Systems

I'm a full supporter of better public transit. Less cars on the road, less ICBC claims, less traffic tickets, etc.
Old 06-14-2014, 12:01 PM   #19
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Driving is a luxury

Transit is for the unwashed masses
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 12:18 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by multicartual View Post
Driving is a luxury

Transit is for the unwashed masses
If you work 9-5, you'll get stuck in a traffic jam. There's nothing luxurious about that. I'd rather take a train and get home fast.

Rich people will tell you flying a private jet is a luxury, taking a flight on B787 with hundreds of people squished in is for the unwashed masses.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-14-2014, 12:54 PM   #21
I subscribe to Revscene

No one truly knows who owns or controls what in Canada... short of protesting its better to look for solutions that are actually conceivable... and no, voting wont work as there wont be a political party to fit peoples needs.

Possible solutions;
Car pooling groups (even with multiple switch over cars to bypass zone fees)
Aesthetically converting ones car to look new yet pay lower insurance
RS group buy of mini buses
jasonturbo & westopher in the election thread
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8668948
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8667115
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 01:04 PM   #22
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
If you work 9-5

multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 01:19 PM   #23

Japan Rail is trying to sell this fleet, maybe BC Transit should buy it. It is almost 20 years old but still better than anything we have in BC.

1995 Kawasaki/Hitachi JR500 Nozomi

Old 06-14-2014, 03:10 PM   #24
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,846 Times in 885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
Japan Rail is trying to sell this fleet, maybe BC Transit should buy it. It is almost 20 years old but still better than anything we have in BC.
so you can get from surrey to DT in 10 minutes vs the 45 minutes it currently takes on the skytrain?

we could just spend all that money on GTRs for RS instead
bobbinka is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-14-2014, 04:37 PM   #25

If they don't want to buy Kawasaki, they can just keep it Canadian and go for Bombardier.

Here's a brand spanking new Bombardier Zefiro.

This post thanked by: