REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 03:26 PM   #2076
GO FLAMES GO

Thanked 2,210 Times in 701 Posts
i personally...and this is a personal opinion, dont think analytics works in hockey as it would in MLB. I dont view baseball as a sport that involves a lot of character or push. they can analyze hitting, pitching, steals all that shit. but besides that, i dont believe it requires much heart or character.

There are too many variables in hockey to analyze a player strickly on their stats, there is so much push/pain/heart behind a hockey player, injuries on hits, plays at different transitional speeds, positioning etc. you cant possible believe you can calculate the best possible collection with all these variables.

MLB, you run in a designated line, you stop, continue to a new position. there isnt many variables compared to other sports.

I am not entirely sure how analytics works with NFL and NBA, but i could see NHL and NFL being so near impossible to use analytics to provide a winning formula
Advertisement
2001 Acura Integra Type-R *SOLD*
Club-Integra.net OG
Your Friendly Neighborhood Firefighter
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2014, 04:02 PM   #2077
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,341 Times in 557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegra_Devil View Post
Though the canucks are trying to pull a 2005-2006 calgary by putting in pieces that they think they can improve them, but will most likely keep them average. The longer they keep trading for cog pieces, and not draft pics, the more years they will be out of the stanley cup picture. It took calgary 8 years to realize this....i hope it doesnt take the canucks that long
this is why i was (and still am) so frustrated with the ryan miller deal, fck
lack's not an elite goalie but he could very well be one in a year or 2, let him play and get experience while at the same time side-betting jacob markstrom... lack's already had good mentorship from luu who he keeps in close contact with

instead we locked up a 34yr old for 3 years and what, 6m a year?
Old 09-16-2014, 04:10 PM   #2078
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
Shoulda let lack gain some losing experience while we tank for mcdavid/echiel and trade our core players excluding sedins/hamhuis for prospects who they can learn from
Old 09-16-2014, 04:27 PM   #2079
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiuYi View Post
lack's not an elite goalie but he could very well be one in a year or 2, let him play and get experience while at the same time side-betting jacob markstrom... lack's already had good mentorship from luu who he keeps in close contact with

So go with a tandem of Lack and Markstrom that was absolutely awful down the stretch last season and resulted in Lack staying up all night arguing with trolls on Twitter?

Sweet, sounds like a great way to run a team ...
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2014, 04:35 PM   #2080
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,341 Times in 557 Posts
you're right, we should sign miller and re-do the whole schneider/luongo fiasco again cuz it was so fun the first time around.... nevermind no goalie will want to play in vancouver for the next decade, but at least we'll get a 9th overall pick out of it right?
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-16-2014, 06:38 PM   #2081

Quote:
you're right, we should sign miller and re-do the whole schneider/luongo fiasco again cuz it was so fun the first time around.... nevermind no goalie will want to play in vancouver for the next decade, but at least we'll get a 9th overall pick out of it right?
Yeah, only got us to game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals and 2 Presidents Trophies. The horror ...

First, Miller has a limited NTC (compared to the full NTC Luongo had save for the two "trade windows") ... If Lack surpasses him, Miller can't just outright refuse a trade. He has to submit a list of teams.

Second, Miller doesn't have a decade-long contract saddled by new penalties introduced after signing it, making it practically untradeable.

Third, ownership didn't want to trade Luongo. I doubt they have any such attachment to Miller.

Fourth, Lack is not Schneider.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2014, 06:59 PM   #2082
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,318 Times in 647 Posts
https://soundcloud.com/993thefox/the...n-kevin-bieksa
Old 09-16-2014, 07:04 PM   #2083

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
Quote:
anyways, on a different topic, whats everyones views on analytics that is taking the nhl by storm?

do you think that it is useful as it is in MLB?
ironic a post like this is coming from a Flames fan whose team has been irrelevant since 2004
Old 09-16-2014, 07:05 PM   #2084
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,984 Times in 1,689 Posts
Quote:
i personally...and this is a personal opinion, dont think analytics works in hockey as it would in MLB. I dont view baseball as a sport that involves a lot of character or push. they can analyze hitting, pitching, steals all that shit. but besides that, i dont believe it requires much heart or character.

There are too many variables in hockey to analyze a player strickly on their stats, there is so much push/pain/heart behind a hockey player, injuries on hits, plays at different transitional speeds, positioning etc. you cant possible believe you can calculate the best possible collection with all these variables.

MLB, you run in a designated line, you stop, continue to a new position. there isnt many variables compared to other sports.

I am not entirely sure how analytics works with NFL and NBA, but i could see NHL and NFL being so near impossible to use analytics to provide a winning formula
I would think something like "moneyball" would only apply for hockey shootouts.

In a way, every pitch is like a shootout.

As you said, there's way too many variables in the other sports to compare it like baseball.
Relatively, the interaction between the two opponents in baseball is very minimal.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
Old 09-16-2014, 07:08 PM   #2085

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeedee View Post
ironic a post like this is coming from a Flames fan whose team has been irrelevant since 2004
And before that, they had been irrelevant since 1989.

Seriously, how do you go 25 years and only advance past the first round ONCE?
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-17-2014, 07:22 AM   #2086
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Earl View Post
Shoulda let lack gain some losing experience while we tank for mcdavid/echiel and trade our core players excluding sedins/hamhuis for prospects who they can learn from
Right because great players like the Sedins love to play every game in which they may have only a chance to win. Lack got plenty of losing experience last year. If the young players all know how to lose, who are they going to learn from on how to win? See Edmonton

Quote:

Quote:
Lu and Miller's situations are in no way similar. Lu still has 7 years left on his contract, the major issue with that cap hit moving forward, which really isn't that big a deal in several seasons anyways. Lu wouldn't have had to be traded if he was managed properly last season. But then again no guarantee he would have even reported to training camp for this season as a Canuck without the lure of showcasing for the Olympics.

Miller signed a 3 year deal, nothing saying you can't move him after 1 or 2 years at the deadline to a contender needing goaltending help if/when Lack is ready and whoever the new backup will be is also ready. As mentioned previous Miller has a much more flexible NTC. And Miller would be worth at least a mid-round draft pick or two as well, if not more.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-17-2014, 07:48 AM   #2087
GO FLAMES GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
And before that, they had been irrelevant since 1989.

Seriously, how do you go 25 years and only advance past the first round ONCE?
and the canucks have been irrelevant with no stanley cup..........forever..

those participation ribbons must be cool though. dont listen to what your parents tell you....they arent special 'try hard' ribbons.

let me put this into perspective for you, since you dont seem overly knowledgeable:

Stanley cup finals appearances as the Calgary Flames: 3 Finals appearances, 1 stanley cup

Stanley cup finals appearance as the Vancouver Canucks: 3 Finals appearances, 0 stanley cups

.....so let me break this down The Calgary Flames have be a more successful franchise since they were put together in 1980, than the canucks have been since 1970. you have had an extra 10 years in the league, and youre still not up to par. Welcome to the big leagues though

/next
Club-Integra.net OG

Last edited by Tegra_Devil; 09-17-2014 at 07:59 AM.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-17-2014, 07:52 AM   #2088
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,579 Times in 4,296 Posts
Quote:
and the canucks have been irrelevant with no stanley cup..........forever..

those participation ribbons must be cool though. dont listen to what your parents tell you....they arent special 'try hard' ribbons.
It's funny how you are talking smack now when the Flames do decent in the young starts tournament and then you disappear once the regular season starts

This post thanked by:
Old 09-17-2014, 08:04 AM   #2089
GO FLAMES GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
It's funny how you are talking smack now when the Flames do decent in the young starts tournament and then you disappear once the regular season starts

I never disappear during the regular season. There was no need to put you in your place last season. you were well aware your werent on your high horse. and plus you guys were having a civil war last season. I just grabbed the popcorn and watched as you ate each other alive
Club-Integra.net OG
Old 09-17-2014, 08:42 AM   #2090
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
I miss Louu.

Spoiler!

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
Old 09-17-2014, 08:48 AM   #2091

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
Quote:
let me put this into perspective for you, since you dont seem overly knowledgeable:

Stanley cup finals appearances as the Calgary Flames: 3 Finals appearances, 1 stanley cup

Stanley cup finals appearance as the Vancouver Canucks: 3 Finals appearances, 0 stanley cups

.....so let me break this down The Calgary Flames have be a more successful franchise since they were put together in 1980, than the canucks have been since 1970. you have had an extra 10 years in the league, and youre still not up to par. Welcome to the big leagues though
using the Stanley Cup won argument from DECADES ago is hilarious as the Leafs and their 1967 championship

but hey, you're forgetting the Canucks have technically won a cup....as the Millionaires that is

$500 or an avatar bet (for the year) that the Canucks finish higher in the standings than the Flames this season?
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-17-2014, 09:14 AM   #2092
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Why bother posting in a Canucks thread if you're not a fan of the team. You're like that girl with oversized implants screaming at people for looking at her tits.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-17-2014, 10:31 AM   #2093

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Stop the drama, I think we can all agree both teams are no where near where they want to be. I also think we can agree the flames are worse, we'll just leave it at that and move along.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
Old 09-17-2014, 12:20 PM   #2094
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
Generally I hate buzz words, especially in sports. Clearly the way things were being run in Toronto wasn't working. Watching the team repel huge amounts of shots each night was nerveracking and frustrating to watch. Shannahan is moving the Leafs into the 21st century with all the analytics guys and scouts he's acquired and its about time. It will be interesting to see if Carlyle and Nonis are able to adjust. I don't see Carlyle lasting the season but I could be wrong. With all the 1 year contracts, the team is either well poised to have guys earn a bigger contract, or to have a fire-sale and get McDavid.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:28 PM   #2095
GO FLAMES GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
Why bother posting in a Canucks thread if you're not a fan of the team. You're like that girl with oversized implants screaming at people for looking at her tits.
Learn to read the title of the thread noob

Quote:
$500 or an avatar bet (for the year) that the Canucks finish higher in the standings than the Flames this season?
what split are you looking for..how much difference in points, etc? if we put point differential in than im willing to go say $1000, sound good with u?
Club-Integra.net OG
Old 09-17-2014, 02:07 PM   #2096
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,316 Times in 5,636 Posts
Ohhh lol...pretty fair bet id say
Old 09-17-2014, 02:36 PM   #2097
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
Why cant the canucks ever do something like this? Instead they spend time on charity

This post thanked by:
Old 09-17-2014, 02:54 PM   #2098
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
Spoiler!

lolwut...not sure if sarcasm or actually legit...

so you'd prefer the Canucks players do all this pointless shit for the lulz instead of actually making a difference in the community...?

did u mean something like "why cant the canucks ever do something ilke this?" which would be nice if they did...but not at the expense of charity lol
Old 09-17-2014, 03:03 PM   #2099

Thanked 3,846 Times in 885 Posts
i wish we had ice girls
Old 09-17-2014, 03:14 PM   #2100

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbinka View Post
i wish we had ice girls

girls. and boys.
Closed Thread