REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 06-22-2014, 04:33 PM   #51
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Like rolling thru a stop sign without stopping completely is the "accepted layman's term" for "stopping at a stop sign"
Advertisement
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-22-2014, 05:03 PM   #52
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
But of course, when someone goes by what they THINK the law is, and then you write them a ticket based on the ACTUAL law, guess who's the bad guy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:15 PM   #53
RS Peace Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
But of course, when someone goes by what they THINK the law is, and then you write them a ticket based on the ACTUAL law, guess who's the bad guy?

"Ignorance of the law is no defence"....old legal saying. There's another one
"A man who is his own lawyer has a fool for a client"...
Old 06-22-2014, 07:36 PM   #54
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
Like rolling thru a stop sign without stopping completely is the "accepted layman's term" for "stopping at a stop sign"
Hey, all the intentions of the stop sign can be satisfied with a slow roll. Coming to a full stop is simply a formality that in no way ensures all the appropriate checks are being done by the driver.

But hey, it's a good way to issue tickets.

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:43 AM   #55
RS Peace Officer

Funny....the MVA calls them "STOP" signs....I can't find any reference to "SLOW ROLL SIGNS?" Did I miss that definition? I thought the intention was to come to a complete stop....you know, a complete cessation of forward movement?

It's like the signs that say "MAXIMUM SPEED"...they don't really mean MAXIMUM....just a suggested speed to base your own choice of speed to drive at because you are a remarkable driver, have a fantastic car & the laws of physics don't apply either.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:40 AM   #56
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
Any interaction with the police is recorded in PRIME. I'm not just talking about driving records.

really??

ive never had a ticket before, but ive been pulled over 2-3 times for random reasons, and once because i had a "canada wide arrest warrant", which turned out that the cop entered in my DL wrong and brought up some other thing i guess. plus all the times ive had to call the cops on my neighbors (shit house who seems to only rent their basement suite to crack heads and shit disturbers)

so if im speeding one day and get pulled over and the cop sees ive had a few run ins here and there, nothing ticket worthy, does that affect the outcome of his decision to hand you a ticket or a warning?
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:27 AM   #57
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
really??

ive never had a ticket before, but ive been pulled over 2-3 times for random reasons, and once because i had a "canada wide arrest warrant", which turned out that the cop entered in my DL wrong and brought up some other thing i guess. plus all the times ive had to call the cops on my neighbors (shit house who seems to only rent their basement suite to crack heads and shit disturbers)

so if im speeding one day and get pulled over and the cop sees ive had a few run ins here and there, nothing ticket worthy, does that affect the outcome of his decision to hand you a ticket or a warning?
No, not every single interaction is documented. If you call in to make a report on anything and you provide your information to the call-taker, your information is documented as being the person who made the report. In your example, you'll have some files showing that you call to make reports on your neighbours. Or a Loss Prevention Officer will have files showing they report on shoplifters/thefts. Or when you phone in to report someone broke into your car/house/business.

You won't have a file for the conversation you have at the park when speaking with an officer who is looking for someone/something in particular (unless its you or something you have) or is there to make general chitchat. Just because there is a police file that includes your name doesn't mean its a negative contact with police.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:31 AM   #58
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
It's like the signs that say "MAXIMUM SPEED"...they don't really mean MAXIMUM....just a suggested speed to base your own choice of speed to drive at because you are a remarkable driver, have a fantastic car & the laws of physics don't apply either.
Well when the maximum speed indicated on that sign is a fucking joke, we all choose to ignore it.

Was going 110 on hwy 1 just by langley (speed limit is 100), I was going this slow because I was early.

Got passed by every type of vehicle under the moon.

At one point I got passed by one of those mammoth tow trucks, towing a school bus.

A GUY DRIVING A TOW TRUCK WITH A SCHOOL BUS ON THE BACK WAS GOING 20km/h over the speed limit. That's when you know the "Maximum" Speed indicated on that stupid sign is a fucking farce.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-23-2014, 08:42 AM   #59
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,110 Times in 602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
Well when the maximum speed indicated on that sign is a fucking joke, we all choose to ignore it.

Was going 110 on hwy 1 just by langley (speed limit is 100), I was going this slow because I was early.

Got passed by every type of vehicle under the moon.

At one point I got passed by one of those mammoth tow trucks, towing a school bus.

A GUY DRIVING A TOW TRUCK WITH A SCHOOL BUS ON THE BACK WAS GOING 20km/h over the speed limit. That's when you know the "Maximum" Speed indicated on that stupid sign is a fucking farce.
You should've went into the HOV lane..... It's been safe and slow in that Lane for the last few weeks

Freaking families....
Spoiler!
Old 06-23-2014, 10:12 AM   #60
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,907 Times in 3,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
Well regardless of what his intentions were, I just find it odd that he chose to write that particular ticket, when they said themselves that they aren't issuing tickets for that. Did he just think it up on his own and decide to interpret the law in his own way?
What was said is that they weren't actively searching for these violations, but that doesn't mean they'll ignore one when they see it.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:38 AM   #61
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
What was said is that they weren't actively searching for these violations, but that doesn't mean they'll ignore one when they see it.
"While tickets are not being issued for unattended vehicles, from a crime prevention perspective, it is not good practice leave your vehicle unlocked."

I guess that's open for interpretation, but it sounds like they aren't issuing them at all, except for the one instance that lead to all this discussion.
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:48 AM   #62
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
really??

And folks... that is how false information gets spread... Stewie, do yourself a favour and try to take what Sebberry says with a grain of salt.. or better yet, not at all.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:36 AM   #63
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
And folks... that is how false information gets spread... Stewie, do yourself a favour and try to take what Sebberry says with a grain of salt.. or better yet, not at all.
Sometimes I like listening to the police scanner. It's nice knowing what's going on in the community.

When a police officer asks the dispatcher for records information on a name, and the dispatcher reads back "5 entries on PRIME", etc... but doesn't read back what those records are, is it safe to assume that those 5 records are only negative encounters? Or could they include innocent things like complainant or witness entries?

Old 06-29-2014, 09:14 AM   #64

Its never safe to assume. As the saying goes, when you assume, you make an ass out of you and me. Or in your case, just you.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
This post thanked by:
Old 06-29-2014, 09:48 AM   #65

Quote:
Sometimes I like listening to the police scanner. It's nice knowing what's going on in the community.

When a police officer asks the dispatcher for records information on a name, and the dispatcher reads back "5 entries on PRIME", etc... but doesn't read back what those records are, is it safe to assume that those 5 records are only negative encounters? Or could they include innocent things like complainant or witness entries?
If you're determined to assume, I would be assuming the opposite because I would assume the dispatcher would be more likely to elaborate on negative encounters and less likely to elaborate on complainant/witness.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 06-29-2014, 01:15 PM   #66
RS Peace Officer

If the Prime entries were an officer safety concern ( Caution V etc) or there were warrants outstanding then dispatch would tell us. If we are further interested then the info is easily accessable on the MDT in the car.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-29-2014, 07:46 PM   #67
I subscribe to Revscene

I realize that. But if the dispatcher reads back "there are 5 entries on PRIME" what is the likelihood that the number of PRIME entries has an impact on what decision the officer makes?

Old 06-29-2014, 07:53 PM   #68

None, until i see what the files are about/that person's role is in the files. For example, if i pulled someone over for not signalling and i see 10 files for the same thing, definitely not getting a warning. That would be the only time someone's PRIME/DL history has any impact on what i plan to do.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-29-2014, 09:08 PM   #69
I subscribe to Revscene

So if you're walking, on a bike, etc... and don't have an MDT to look up those files... still not going to influence how you proceed?

Old 06-29-2014, 10:16 PM   #70

Quote:
So if you're walking, on a bike, etc... and don't have an MDT to look up those files... still not going to influence how you proceed?
How could it?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-30-2014, 04:51 AM   #71
RS Peace Officer

Quote:

That's what the radio is for...and the dispatcher at the other end who can look at the files if you ask them. Did it all the time while on the Motorcycle. Anything I should know or important? Anything similar to what I'm doing now? Takes a few seconds to ask.